Jags manage to lift blackout

AP

The Jaguars have announced that, with the assistance of a 24-hour extension, enough tickets have been sold to lift the blackout for Monday night’s game against the Ravens.

As of Friday, roughly 3,000 tickets remained.  It’s unknown whether the tickets were sold to the general public or whether the Jaguars paid 34 cents on the dollar for each unsold ticket, a tactic that the league allows in order to circumvent the requirement that all non-premium tickets be sold for the game.

The Jaguars have sold out, technically, every regular-season game since the end of the 2009 season.  The team’s most recent home against, against the Bengals, was sold out only after the team and Bud Light partnered to cough up the cash for the unsold tickets.  At the time, the Jaguars called it a one-time deal.

Fans may want to save their stubs from this game.  With the Jags at 1-5 and with a trip to Houston up next, followed by a bye week, the Jags could enter the break at 1-7, and Monday night’s game could be the final home game for coach Jack Del Rio.

43 responses to “Jags manage to lift blackout

1. I didn’t know you could be blacked out from a nationally televised game but what would I know about that my team sells out every game

2. no one bought them up but the fans who support this damn team so national media cry me a river. By the way, the tarp jokes are getting a little bit juvenile.

3. its funny how when the raiders lift their blackout, here they call it a sellout. But when jaguars lift the blackout, its always manage to lift the blackout. last time i checked raiders attendance not 100% also.

4. is there a limit to the # of extensions a team can have? EVERY week it seems that the NFL gives 24 hours… is it because they are close to selling out? and why don’t more teams try this? Is a sell out REALLY a sell out or 95% of sales?
    Anyway tha Jags are awful and cannot believe they have TWO home Monday night games!!

5. To skinsfanallday
    Everytime I see a Redskins home game there are huge chunks of empty bright yellow seats encircling the whole stadium. Furthermore, there sure are fans of other teams present a lot. It seems Steelers and Eagles took over your stadium the last time they visited. So I would keep quiet bragging about your teams turnstile accomplisjment considering you are averaging 78K this year in a 90K seat stadium.

6. trbowman says:Oct 22, 2011 4:54 PM

How did this become a MNF game? I mean, seriously?

——————————————————-

How can a grown man have a tebow user name and represents it proudly like a 14 yr old high school band geek.

7. LOL they had 1,300 tickets left on Friday why are you reporting 3,000? they had under 1,000 on Saturday today. And then they got bought up. But whatever, it’s fun to ride the NFL’s laughing stock. Screw Jacksonville, LA Jaguars!

8. leopold332002 says: Oct 22, 2011 5:15 PM

trbowman says:Oct 22, 2011 4:54 PM

——

maybe you should look at it again…

9. It’s comical to see a Redskins fan bragging about selling out every game. The farce about the so-called 200,000 waiting list to attend the games at RalJon was exposed as a fraud this year when Danny Snyder ordered 10,000 seats removed this year, reflecting the reality that the Redskins are not selling at least 100,000 seats per year. Read it and weep at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-say-they-were-unable-to-sell-season-tickets-for-seats-removed-from-fedex-field/2011/07/14/gIQA1vbwEI_story.html

Poke fun at the Jaguars for covering 10,000 seats with tarps, but Redskins fans have demonstrated worse fan support, compelling a similar number of seats removed. Metro DC/Landover has 5.6 million people, mostly Redskins fans, and is the 2nd wealthiest metro area in the US, averaging $57,000+. Metro Jax has 1.3 million fansi n the 82nd wealthiest metro area, averaging $42,000+.

10. great article nflpasux. They say the Redskins removed the seats because traffic and congestion. This coming from an owner that charged to park and charged admission to a training camp workout. That’s hilarious! I guess the people in the standing room only to replace those weren’t going to drive a car to the game. It’s not a waiting list if you don’t put money down to be on it. Just ask the Bucs. So two teams that claimed to have had a 100k and 200k waiting list now have no one on their waiting list.

11. Maybe Jacksonville decided to take a page from the Dolphins book and they’re honoring the 2001 Hurricanes National Championship team and a lot of Ed Reed fans bought tickets.

12. zackattack410 says:
    Oct 22, 2011 8:29 PM
    Most of those were Ravens fans. I’m on my way down there now. Baltimore Championship tour 2011!
    ————————————————
    Really. That’s ground breaking news. I don’t recall the Ravens fans being the reason we haven’t had blackouts for many years now. That’s good to know though. Thanks.

13. I have a lot of family in jax, and in town to watch my ravens on monday. The problem is not so much they are a bad team, but they are fourth in line behind (in order) gators, bulldogs, and even the ‘noles. But yes, even their play on the field effects the attendance, just not as much as you would think.

14. flbills says: Oct 22, 2011 9:38 PM

Only in Jacksonville!
    Don’t deserve a NFL team!!
    Time to move!!

——————————————–

@flbills,

Who does deserve a team, and why?

Why does LA deserve a team? Because they are the 2nd biggest media market in the country? Is that a reason for “deserving” a NFL team?

Does London deserve a team? If so, why?

Does San Antonio deserve a team? If so, why?

15. I think PFT might throw a parade for the first blacked out Jags game this year. It’s like they keep hoping so much.

16. Pathetic. I love how Jacksonville can’t even sell out a MNF game against a great team but they’re never mentioned for relocation. I bet there will be a ton of Ravens fans in the crowd too.

17. flbills says:Oct 22, 2011 9:38 PM

Only in Jacksonville!
    Don’t deserve a NFL team!!
    Time to move!!

————————————————
    Only in Buffalo
    play in toronto because their fanbase sucks
    Will lose their team when Ralph Wlson moves on to heaven.

18. leopold332002 says:
    Oct 23, 2011 6:16 AM

Only in Buffalo
    play in toronto because their fanbase sucks
    Will lose their team when Ralph Wlson moves on to heaven.
    ———————————–
    You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. The Bills have one of the most loyal fanbases in the league. If you have ever been to Buffalo or met someone from Buffalo you would know that’s the case. Football isn’t just a sport in WNY, it means the world to just about every man, woman, and child. The Bills haven;t made the playoffs in 11 years, but they have sold 96 percent of their tickets over that span. There are thousands of ex-pats who gather at Bills bars throughout the country every Sunday. I would bet there’s a Bills Backers bar in Jacksonville.

The Bills play a game in Toronto not because of a lack of fan support but because they are attempting to garner corporate support from Toronto. One of the largest and most affluent metro areas in North America is 90 min. away, why wouldn’t they try to regionalize North? Plus, the Bills got an absolutely ridiculous sum of money for the games (about 3x the revenue they produce from a game in Buffalo).

If you’re going to make definitive statements about a fanbase, try to at least have the slightest clue what you’re talking about. For example, the Jaguars fanbase sucks because there is no tradition of NFL football in the city and NFL football is not a way of life in the area. Poor attendance is not a temporary issue, you have struggled for years to sell out games. The only reason why they have been able to sell out home games in recent years is because they covered about 10,000 seats in the stadium.

19. @gobills.

Riiiiiiiight! I have been to several Bills games, and the stadium was half empty. In fact, one of the games that I went to was..wait for it….BLACKED OUT!

Do some research. If you did, you would see that the Bills have had just as many, if not more blacked out games over the last 11 years than the Jaguars. This when they play a “home” game in Toronto.

Oh, and stop trying to fool your self. The ONLY reason the Bills play a game in Toronto is because of lack of local fan support.

How comical…a Bills fan calling out another feam’s fan base.

20. Does anybody else see a link between fans who “travel well”, and the crummy US cities they live in?

I.e, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Baltimore.

21. So funny that the ones who consistently show up bashing the Jags here, based on their names, are consistently either Bills, Raiders, or Chargers fans.

What do those 3 franchises all have in common? One of them will almost certainly land in LA, and not only that, they all have a long history of failing to sell out games.

The hypocrisy is jaw-dropping. I guess I’d be mad too if I knew my team was gonna move.

22. Teams move b/c they want new stadiums. The teams that moved in the past 30 years had plenty of fan support but the cities they were in either could not or would not build a new home for what amounts to 10 games/yr ( 8 regular plus 2 preseason) .
    Colts, Raiders (twice), Cards, Rams, Oilers/Titans, Browns/Ravens.

Thus the Vikings, Bills, Chargers, Rams and Raiders are being mentioned.

If it really was about lack of fan support the Bengals would be packing up right now.

23. gobills716 says:
    If you’re going to make definitive statements about a fanbase, try to at least have the slightest clue what you’re talking about……….The only reason why they have been able to sell out home games in recent years is because they covered about 10,000 seats in the stadium
    ———————————————

Well you just had a genius moment. Do me a favor, go to the closest mirror you have and repeat your first sentence above.

Everbank Field with 10K seats covered still holds 67,164 and is more capacity than 12 other teams in the league. Jaguars covered 10k b/c 77,164 is too large for Jax market. There’s only 4 team that are over 77K. Dallas, Washington, Jets/Giants. See a problem here? Large market teams. 67,164 is on par with every other small/medium market in the league.

These are facts my friend. Unlike you I don’t just throw out blanket statemtents when I have knowledge of it. I don’t know or care about the Bills. You need to do the same about the Jaguars.

No need to respond. There’s nothing you can say b/c as you wrote “If you’re going to make definitive statements about a fanbase, try to at least have the slightest clue what you’re talking about.” Have a great day.

24. nationalmediacansuckit:
    Buffalo, NY is the second smallest market in the NFL. It’s not part of the NY metro area in case you were confused by the whole New York State thing. Rich Stadium had a capacity of 80,000 before they remodeled it in 1999 and the Bills still sold it out. Now it’s 73,000 (which is 6,000 seats larger than 67,000) and Buffalo still sells it out almost every home game despite having a horrible team for the last 11 years. If Buffalo had a 67,000 seat stadium, there would never be an issue about selling it out. The only games the Bills don’t sell out are when it’s 20 degrees in late December and the Bills have been out of it for 2 months.

leopold332002:
    You are clearly a product of the South. I love how this story was about a Jaguars barely selling out an October MNF game and you are arguing that the Bills (not the Jaguars) fan base sucks. Anyone with half a brain would understand the business reasons why the Bills are playing a game in Toronto. You clearly struggle from a deficiency in that regard.

Best of luck to both you Einstein’s…enjoy being 1-6. GO BILLS

25. @gobills716
    I told you there was no need to respond since I gave you facts about the Jaguars. Instead you gave me a history lesson on the Bills. If you would have read my entire comment you would have read that I wrote “I don’t know or care about the Bills. You need to do the same about the Jaguars.” You entire rebuttal on Bills stadium capacity has nothing to do with my comment.

I don’t know nor do I care what Bills stadium capacity is. I told this already. You know a great deal about the Bills, that’s great. Take your own advice. “If your going to talk about a fan base, try to have the slightest clue what you’re talking about.” In other words, worry about the Bills and not the Jaguars. It’s pretty simple my friend.

26. jvillenole
    Please go to the game and see for yourself!! I was there about 8 years ago and it was 50-50 jags to ravens fans and the Ravens were bad that year!! And we did rent out your tailget lot, come by and see us if you want!!!!

27. If this game was being played in Bmore tickets would be 200/ticket for 500 level. Even in our down years there was never a game that wasn’t sold out. Shame on you Tagliabue for thinking Jacksonville and Carolina both deserved franchises more than Bmore. You sure look dumb now.