Chargers’ Jammer says refs gave Jets the game

San Diego Chargers Quentin Jammer interferes with New York Jets Santonio Holmes in NFL football game in East Rutherford Reuters

Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer blasted the officiating following Sunday’s loss to the Jets, saying “consistently bad” calls cost the Chargers the game.

No way it was called fairly,” Jammer told the New York Post. “No way. Not at all. It wasn’t called fairly at all. Maybe I’m being biased, but I’m just judging off what I saw. It wasn’t a fair game called.”

The Chargers were flagged for 13 penalties on Sunday, including two pass interference calls against Jammer. One of those two was a huge shift in the game, giving the Jets 20 yards and a first down on a third-down incompletion. Jammer, who was covering Santonio Holmes on both plays, did not agree with the penalties.

“When you’re not getting the chance to play the way you play, it’s upsetting,” Jammer said. “I mean, football is a contact sport. There’s going to be contact. Receivers make contact and corners make contact, so at some point you’ve just got to let us play.”

And Jammer wasn’t able to play Holmes the way he wanted.

Permalink 95 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
95 Responses to “Chargers’ Jammer says refs gave Jets the game”
  1. nxsteven says: Oct 24, 2011 8:36 AM

Terrible calls going both ways all game long but at least they were calling it the same on both sides.

PI call on Leonhard on the goal line was total non-sense. That lead to a TD for the Chargers as well.

2. scudbot says: Oct 24, 2011 8:39 AM

No question: the league is way overdoing it on coverage contact penalties. It’s a prime reason for the huge increase in passing yardage.

3. stanmackley says: Oct 24, 2011 8:40 AM

Agreed. The call on Jammer when Sanchez threw on 3rd and 6 (or so) with just under 4 mins to go- Jammer gets called with a “push” and Jets get 1st down. Subsequently, they erase the Bolts’ timeouts and get 3 pts out of the deal.
    There was NOTHING there on this call. Whats worse, the league is continually failing to call PI consistently, it is becoming a joke. EVERY PASS that falls incomplete, we all hold our breath and wait for a flag.

4. poppirt says: Oct 24, 2011 8:41 AM

I didn’t see the 1rst call, but the second one was horrible

5. jcjets says: Oct 24, 2011 8:42 AM

The Jets had a holding call (Mangold) that nullified an awesome TD to Holmes. next play Sanchez throws an INT. I could argue that was a much bigger play in the game, and i didn’t see any blatant holding on the play..

6. waldoampere says: Oct 24, 2011 8:43 AM

News Flash: Refs sometimes make bad calls. It happens, now stop whining because it all balances out by the end of the season. And the refs didn’t cause that pathetic last minute Charger drive when they still could have won the game.

7. jetsarestacked says: Oct 24, 2011 8:43 AM

The thing that makes these comments funny is the fact that the chargers had like 7 offsides penalties. Oh, and the fact that the jets were the ones who had a td taken away due to a penalty. No mention of that I see.

8. bcozthenight says: Oct 24, 2011 8:44 AM

One bad call doesn’t make or break a game. Jammer should shut up.

Having said that, the one PI call on Jammer in the 4th quarter was completely bogus and even Jets fans–the ones who are willing to be honest–will have to admit that was a big play in a big situation that did affect San Diego’s chances.

Looks like NBA-style officiating has come to the NFL.

9. nysaysbringit says: Oct 24, 2011 8:45 AM

Jets had some of those “bad” calls go against them as well. Two on Mangold …so stop whining…What about the 17 unanswered points? Rivers had 2 pics…terrible clock management etc…Oh! and Greene ran on the Bolts pretty well too!

10. macadamia2010 says: Oct 24, 2011 8:46 AM

@jcjets, LMAO, so the refs should only call holding when it’s “blatant holding?”

11. grpatriot says: Oct 24, 2011 8:48 AM

Rivers choked! Simplify!

12. kingmj4891 says: Oct 24, 2011 8:48 AM

He needs some cheese to go with the Whine

And I expect Goodell to fine him 10K

13. brwmstr says: Oct 24, 2011 8:49 AM

Horribly called game. Jets definately were kept in the game by the refs. Having said that San Diego lost the game not the refs. Man up and finish a game…and stay classy San Diego!!

14. GG Eden says: Oct 24, 2011 8:52 AM

Blame Goodell. The President of Officiating is under the auspices of the commissioner.

15. tomcan8 says: Oct 24, 2011 8:53 AM

Receivers are more likely to wave their arms in the “throw the flag” motion then to catch the ball this season.

16. rmm1984 says: Oct 24, 2011 8:54 AM

I hate the touch fouls that are being called on DB’s this year. Why do they want to turn the NFL into an arena league?

17. PFTiswhatitis says: Oct 24, 2011 8:55 AM

Not a Chargers fan but the Jets did seem to get a lot of calls going their way especially the ticky-tack offsides calls and that imaginary PI call. I was actually wondering if the ref was from NY.

18. odie92 says: Oct 24, 2011 8:56 AM

jcjets. Are you freaking kidding me, Mangold hooked the guy and in the process took him to the ground. That is the easiest holding call to make as an official.

That being said Jammer is whining, he made contact though it was ticky tak he still made it up to a judgement call and you will always lose some calls when you leave it up to someone else to judge the impact.

19. ampats says: Oct 24, 2011 8:57 AM

While I have to agree on some questionable calls, Rivers had a terrible 2nd half and even worse two minute drive at the end of the game. San Diego with all their weapons on O have proven they are not an elite team.

Hats off to the jets on coming back with a great 2nd half of football outscoring SD 17-0. This was the best game the jets have played outside of beating Jax which played like a Pop Warner team.

Happy (never mind) enjoy the W jets fans.

20. buckeye044 says: Oct 24, 2011 8:58 AM

@scudbot

Totally agree. All around the league there appeared to be an emphasis on DB’s and their contact with receivers.
    My guess is that after the Revis Monday night non-call, the officials were told to call everything.

And they did. Makes the games hard to watch.

21. sj39 says: Oct 24, 2011 8:58 AM

Of course the fact that Rivers is even more over rated than Brady had nothing to do with it.

22. groess says: Oct 24, 2011 8:59 AM

_____________________________________

Agreed. Both those calls on Mangold (back-to-back plays) were ridiculous…and I’m a fan of neither team. If i was a Charger, I would be hiding my head after that display of last minute clock management…that was brutal!

23. polishrod says: Oct 24, 2011 9:00 AM

scudbot says:
    Oct 24, 2011 8:39 AM

—————–

I never thought I would see this day, but…. I agree with you Scudbot.

The games are being called more like intramural flag-football games, especially in the passing game.

And this rule about not hitting the QB after your 2nd step, can someone please show me how any human can come to a complete stop in only 2 steps?!?!?

24. gosuhgo says: Oct 24, 2011 9:00 AM

Calls have been a joke all year, especially on the big drives. Its getting to the point where whenever I watch my team get a completion I get ready to have it flagged back.

25. burntorangehorn says: Oct 24, 2011 9:01 AM

The Jets are the big-market team with a marketable (albeit incompetent) QB. Of course they get the calls.

Also, the league’s just bending over backwards for the passing game. They tie both hands behind a defensive back’s back, and it’s even worse when you see a physical guy like Jammer lined up on a smaller finesse guy like Holmes.

You know all the arguments about how the QB is so important, and that the league has to protect them so much? A large part of that results from this contrived emphasis on rules enforcement for the benefit of QB’s and WR’s. The rise of the QB and fade of the RB is don’t need to be this extreme.

26. Patriot42 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:01 AM

The league has changed the rules for two reasons.

One is for more scoring

Two is protecting the QB

The result will be a diluted defense that will also dilute viewers.

27. waxedagain says: Oct 24, 2011 9:01 AM

Queue the typically whining from the Bolts, but maybe they should focus on why they went scoreless in the 2nd half. SCORELESS! Or why Rivers started throwing critical picks: I suppose Jammer hoped the Jets would be called for PI. When the Chargers jumped out to a 21-10 lead before halftime, they had it made: the Jets fans started leaving and Metlife stadium was very quiet. I guess that put the Chargers to sleep.

28. zimaman says: Oct 24, 2011 9:02 AM

not for nothing

not a chargers or jets fan here but thats all that was on

the officials wanted the jets to win at least thats how it looked

i started thinking man this is starting to look like the NBA. perish the thought I tuned them out years ago.

i hope it doesnt get any worse

CC: Commish – you better wake up because officiating has cost the NBA tons of fans and marketing dollars. we tuned them out years ago and watch the NFL now. the NFL officiating is really starting to suck the wind out of your game

29. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Oct 24, 2011 9:02 AM

The central theme of us “Monday Morning QB’s” : Officials suck this year

30. 7ransponder says: Oct 24, 2011 9:07 AM

scudbot says:
    Oct 24, 2011 8:39 AM

——————

Overdoing it? Your guy Woodson gets away with murder out there. If anything the refs are being selective about when they call it, and it’s affecting the outcome of games.

31. almelo95 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:08 AM

@jcjets

So you didn’t see Mangold tackle the Chargers lineman on that play? They showed a great replay from behind the formation that clearly showed it. No doubt about that one.

32. The Shoeman says: Oct 24, 2011 9:08 AM

You have just been ” Norv’ed” again !

33. bmoreravens11 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:09 AM

No sorry Mr. Jammer your offense gave up that game.

34. cjjetsfan says: Oct 24, 2011 9:10 AM

I didn’t see any of the game up until Jammer’s second flag, so I don’t know about any of the other calls. But that second flag was a HORRIBLE call. As a Jets fan, I don’t feel good about the fact that that tilted the game in the Jets favor. If they don’t convert on that penalty, they probably have to punt right there and then it’s a fundamentally different game with the time, timeouts, and score scenario. I think Jammer has a legitimate gripe. I’d guess Norv get’s a ‘whoopsie’ phone call from Carl Johnson this week.

35. militantgod says: Oct 24, 2011 9:10 AM

It’s laughable to say Mangold’s holding penalty wasn’t a blatant penalty. He held on to buddy for the life of him. And if Jammer is so concerned about ticky tack penalty’s, I never hear him complaining about the 18 million holding penalty’s and pass interference calls that go against the Raiders every time they play.

36. str82dvd says: Oct 24, 2011 9:12 AM

I completely agree with Jammer. Drive after Jets drive was kept alive by the zebras.

Dunno how impartial I am, though. I’m so sick of Sanchez being called a starting quarterback in the league, and I’m tired of his defense and/or the refs floating this fraud.

37. nyjalleffingday says: Oct 24, 2011 9:13 AM

@jcjets

Nah, I saw the Mangold hold, he’s the only reason Sanchez didn’t get CREAMED on the play. Fairly called. However, as a few people already mentioned, the Leonhard PI was B/S too and that led to a TD. If Chargers fans are gonna cry foul about the refs, it’s just gonna look like a case of sour grapes. Because no matter how bad the refs are, 2 INTS and no points scored in the 2nd quarter is not gonna win games, and that’s not the refs fault!

38. ytsejamer1 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:15 AM

agreed 100% with Stan and Scud. The refs are taking over this game…no one on defense can make contact with the offense without a penalty being called. I was listening to the game and one entire Jets drive was due to PI penalties. It’s getting to the point that the game is almost un-enjoyable with all the laundry on the field. I want to watch the players play, not the refs get their mugs on TV.

Now I will say this…Chargers are known for playing stupid, especially when it gets to crunch time. Perhaps the refs had that in mind when calling some of the penalties against SD. I dunno.

39. str8up12 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:20 AM

Really, from my vantage point it sure looked like Mangold tackled his man. Jammer’s right. The NFL needs to start firing some of these officials.

40. raiderapologist says: Oct 24, 2011 9:21 AM

Jammer should be whining about his offense’s clock management.

41. edgerules says: Oct 24, 2011 9:31 AM

I am not a fan of either. However, the refs definitely were way to active in the game. Heck, like others have said, the refs in general are getting way too involved. I mean, any completed pass, a fan wonders if a flag is going to be thrown. This is bordering on the ridiculous.

42. jcjets says: Oct 24, 2011 9:31 AM

@macadamia2010 well people seem to only want to call PI when its really obvious. I think Jammer did make contact with Holmes, but probably not enough to really be pass interference. But from what I can see of the replay, the holding wasn’t blatant either. Both got flagged.

Doesn’t really matter anyway, if the ref calls it, then its a penalty. that’s the bottom line.

43. bcozthenight says: Oct 24, 2011 9:32 AM

I want to see the pictures/video.

You know which ones I mean.

The ones of Alex Spanos having sex with an underage donkey.

I don’t know how Norv got them, but that’s the only explanation for him being a head coach.

It looked like the Chargers offense had never even heard of a two-minute drill.

44. brutus9448 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:35 AM

I agree. This is NFL. Big market teams always get the calls. They make more money for the NFL if they make it to playoffs. Do you really think NFL would rather see the chargers or the jets in the playoffs? the pass interference non-calls is the first clue. revis and the rest of jets CB hold on to people every single play and non get called.

45. jcjets says: Oct 24, 2011 9:35 AM

@nyjalleffingday you may be right, but I didn’t think it was a good call at the time. Can’t seem to find the angle you’re talking about online.

But as you say, if the chargers want to cry over penalties, they better buy a lot of tissues. There will be calls every game that are questionable.

46. nittanylion0 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:36 AM

I noticed yesterday that the Jets whine to the refs after almost every play. It’s usually cry baby Sanchez flailing his arms. I have no doubt in my mind that their whining and griping had an effect on how the refs called the game… That PI call was horse pucky.

47. steelerfan999 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:36 AM

I AGREE,JETS GET A GIFT. WHERE WERE THESE REFS WHEN REVIS MUGGED MARSHALL ON MONDAY NIGHT.

48. crazycane says: Oct 24, 2011 9:37 AM

I am a Bears fan so I have no bias on either team.

The officials are letting Revis get away with murder on his “coverage”. Last week’s INT in the end zone was a mugging of the 3rd degree and the refs let him get away with it because “that’s his style”

This isn’t the NBA where you get a reputation or the stars get the calls. Call it even on both sides.

49. jimyritz says: Oct 24, 2011 9:38 AM

Some really bad offsides calls that made no sense as Simms pointed out…

The way the refs call pass interference is only more reason to change the rule to the way college does it.

50. mrzazz41387 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:38 AM

I’m a Jets fan, and I didn’t think it was a good call. The only thing Jammer didn’t do was turn around. If that was the case, than at least the refs were being consistent with their bad calls, since they called Leaonhard for the same thing. There were some other bad calls FOR BOTH TEAMS, so quit your whining Jammer. You don’t give up 17 unanswered points, and throw two INTs and blame the refs.

51. beecee71 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:39 AM

if the jammer call was not a penalty than neither was the leonhard call and that lead to a td. overall i’m sick of these flag filled games. i think we are going to have to revolt against this new nfl. #occupyNFL

52. mrgdawg says: Oct 24, 2011 9:42 AM

The San Diego Crybabies. Led by captains Phylis Rivers and Quentin Cant-jam-a-receiver.

53. skins23 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:49 AM

Not a fan of either team, but the NFL is becoming increasingly difficult to watch/follow. The penalities, fines, dictatorship of the league office. Its a contact sport. Let them play. Let them be human beings.

The reason I stopped watching the NBA was because of how badly those games were officiated (see: rigged).

54. rdssc says: Oct 24, 2011 9:52 AM

Any time you see that old ref that did the game you know you are going to get a poorly officiated game. His entire crew is one of the worst in the NFL. The NFL need full time officials that can be held accountable for their horrible calls.

55. jpb12 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:53 AM

This was a horrible game. Rivers wants to be put in the elite QB category?

Manning, Brees and Brady would have scored with the ball in the 2 minute drill. That was a horrible display.

Meanwhile – this had to have set a record for most penalties in a game.

Ron Winters… ‘man of the match’.

To quote Marv Levy: “You are an overjudicious jerk”.

56. nomad1177 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:53 AM

Jammer should be more concerned with Rivers throwing the ball away on 4th and 3 then the refs. That PI against Leonhard was a joke, refs made flaky calls both ways.

57. Patskrieg dot com says: Oct 24, 2011 9:55 AM

I usually ignored post-game flag whining, but Jammer isn’t exactly wrong here. The refs bailed Sanchez out of a handful of failed drives. The Mangold hold is certainly a good point to raise, but from my point of view it was an easy hold, and should have been called.

This whole season has been marked by noticeably spotty, and often disorganized officiating. It seems like in any given game you’ve got a different officiating crew improving their interpretation of the rules. This isn’t baseball. This is actually important. Let’s get it right.

58. grogansheroes says: Oct 24, 2011 9:56 AM

I agree with just about everyone as far as officiating goes. The NFL has become too much like the NBA (perish the thought). You have lawyers manipulating the rules, favoring stars and large markets. Both commissioners have never played the sport. Whenever there is an incomplete pass, or someone touches the QB, you have to wait for the flag. My team has a star QB, that missed a year for injury, and I still hate the rules. But I have one question for Jets fans, How come Revis and Cromartie hold on every single play and they never get flagged?

59. odie92 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:59 AM

If the focus by a player is on what the ref is doing then they are flat out simply not doing their job. The focus should 100% on the next play. You can’t control the calls but you can control how well you cover a guy or block a guy on the next play.

60. tacoslinger619 says: Oct 24, 2011 10:04 AM

REFS WERE HORRIBLE 100%, but the second-half Chargers were worse…………….

61. nyjalleffingday says: Oct 24, 2011 10:07 AM

@j3ts83

“Happy (never mind) enjoy the W jets fans.” was worth it’s weight in gold

62. howley1 says: Oct 24, 2011 10:07 AM

Week one, Cowboys 7 penalties, Jets 0 penalties. Happy 9/11, yall!

63. avrus says: Oct 24, 2011 10:07 AM

The Jets got absolutely worked on ref calls in both the Ravens (a missed roughing the kicker and roughing the passer which could have changed the game) as well as the Oakland game.

Bad play calling for both sides in the Pats vs Jets game.

What he really should really be complaining about is that ref decisions can dramatically alter the outcome of the game.

It shouldn’t come down to that.

64. joetoronto says: Oct 24, 2011 10:08 AM

There were bad calls on both teams but the fact of the matter is that the Chargers did absolutely nothing in the 2nd half.

They were out coached and out played, period.

Jammer should stop crying, it’s over.

65. nahcouldntbethat says: Oct 24, 2011 10:13 AM

Having the officials become a constant point of contention as they have this year is not good for the NFL.

The league office should be looking into how to tamp that down some and the simplest way to do that is to say that the game is being called too tightly on the pass defense side.

It’s time that the game reverted back to only calling blatant pass interference and holds. It’s not like the NFL is short passing and will revert to some primordial three yards and a cloud of dust format if they let defenses actually defend the pass now and then.

Tightly enforce the head hunting and horse collars and dangerous plays and let receivers and defensive backs play the game other than that until somebody does something obvious. That’s like a no-brainer at this point.

66. rabidbillsfan says: Oct 24, 2011 10:19 AM

Coming from somebody who actually watched the game, and didn’t listen to it on the Radio, or was at the game, Jammer is right. Mangold pretty much clothes-lined Liguet, that was a blatent hold. The Leonarnd PI was a straight up mugging compared to the calls against Jammer, I’m not saying it was blatent PI but it was worse than the calls on Jammer. You can say the chargers should have been able to score in the second half, well if it wasn’t for a pass through the hands pick, it would have atleast been 24-17. Also, and this is the one that really gets me, the Sanchez run for a first down, that the side judged had ruled short, but was over-ruled by the head Ref who couldn’t even see the ball. Don’t belive me it was initally going to be short? Watch the whole sequence, the side judge clearly plants his foot outside of the 10 yard line, but the head ref comes over, grabs the ball, sets it just over the 10 and signals first down. Then to top it all off, the chains are instantly moved, and from then on it is not challengable. It is sickening to see games turn on such blatent disregard for the rules by the Refs.

67. toddlvin says: Oct 24, 2011 10:20 AM

Why is everyone saying that Jammer did nothing on the PI call on 3rd down to Santonio Holmes.

He put his hand in fromt of Holmes face..and while he did contact the balll, he NEVER turned to look for the ball…which is ALWAYS a PI call! Always! You CANNOT put your hands up to block the ball without turning to look for the ball…and he didnt even attempt to fake it…he was too busy chest pumping out of bounds….

Jammer = idiot

68. justrunit11 says: Oct 24, 2011 10:26 AM

I gotta admit darrelle revis does get special treatment though.

69. svcfilmguy says: Oct 24, 2011 10:36 AM

“And Jammer wasn’t able to play Holmes the way he wanted.”

Yep. Just like every CB in the league isn’t able to play his opposing WR exactly as he wants. The league is cracking down on this, folks. Adjust or lose. It’s that simple. I don’t like it, but that’s the way it is. Stop whining.

70. rexismybff says: Oct 24, 2011 10:39 AM

Jammer – your offense got SHUT OUT in the second half. Refs didn’t steal it from you – Phillip and crew blew it.

71. patssmelllikepoo says: Oct 24, 2011 10:47 AM

——————————-

San Diego got a touchdown off a horrible call against Leonard. Even if Gates is standing wide-open he has no chance to catch that ball at his feet. River’s was under pressure and threw a bad ball. That is the problem I have with the NFL this year, teams are getting bailed out of 3rd and longs or bad plays by officiating.

72. jefferee101 says: Oct 24, 2011 10:57 AM

I am a fan of neither of these teams, but I watched the game. And it was obvious to me, that there was a little favortism going on in the game. Vegas must have had a hand in that one.

73. revisisland24 says: Oct 24, 2011 11:02 AM

As a Jets fan, I’m willing to admit that more than a couple calls went our way.

I saw nothing there on the phantom PI call late in the 4th and beyond just penalties, on the final drive by the Jets, where they came away with 3 points, I’m not entirely convinced Sanchez got the first down when he scrambled and dove on 3rd down, but the head official didn’t even call for a measurement. Like I said though, I’m a Jets fan, so I won’t complain. :)

Also, to all the people claiming Mangold didn’t hold the guy on the TD pass to Holmes: I have no idea what game you were watching! He clearly hooked the guy, who had an open path to Sanchez and ultimately, it was the hold that gave Sanchez enough time to deliver the pass to Holmes. So yes, it was the right call.

That said, the Chargers honestly cannot blame the refs for losing this game. The refs didn’t pitch a shutout in the 2nd half, the refs didn’t throw three TD passes to Burress, and the refs certainly didn’t throw the ball out of bounds on 4th and 3 to end the game.

74. richm2256 says: Oct 24, 2011 11:03 AM

Couldn’t beat the 3-3 Yets?????????

Quit bitchin’ about the refs, you guys should have blown these guys off the field,

75. reuben4boston says: Oct 24, 2011 11:04 AM

Jammer = idiot
    ———————–

You’re wrong. There is no face guarding penalty anymore. You can block the view without turning your head around. Which mike pereira confirmed during the browns-hawks game when a flag wasn’t thrown when the same thing happened.

76. mrgroovesd says: Oct 24, 2011 11:20 AM

I’m a Bolt fan and there were a lot of blatant calls that were not supposed to happen on both sides. I do agree with Jammer on that last call but I do have to put it in Rivers hands for not pushing the offense to score in the second half. I think bad calls there were obvious though were called on the Bolts. Trying to look at it at an unbiased opinion.

77. Derty Ernie says: Oct 24, 2011 11:22 AM

Contact sport? Contact sport? Football has not been a contact sport for years. Just the opposite Jammer baby, they don’t want any contact between receiver and backs. Otherwise no points would be scored and the game might be a boring 6 to 3 game.

They unleveled the playing field a long time ago when Madison avenue advised the NFL to create excitement and scoring was excitement.

78. dumbolt says: Oct 24, 2011 11:36 AM

you have to love a player that makes excuses for his bad play, and his team that is just over rated every year. Chargers have done nothing, ever!

79. jetfanfolife says: Oct 24, 2011 11:39 AM

While I do not agree with the PI call we still would’ve won 24-21 as we only got a field goal from that.

80. lordjim54 says: Oct 24, 2011 11:46 AM

I haven’t complained very much this year about the officiating….but, this game was horrendous. Definitely the WORST officiating I’ve ever seen.

81. dannymac17 says: Oct 24, 2011 12:32 PM

Jets were given that game.

Refs went into the Yets locker room at half time and asked them what can they do for them to win.

there was like 6 off-sides that weren’t even close.

the 2 PI’s on Jammer were absolutely embarrassing. Each time there was a ref like 5 yards away WHO DIDNT EVEN THROW THE FLAG

it was a back judge standing more than 20 yards away.

Absolute hosing the Bolts suffered.

82. thatboi901 says: Oct 24, 2011 12:34 PM

Seems like elite CBs get away with contact more than others. If Jammer would of played like Woodson and Revis played on sunday he would of had 5 more penalties. Think the refs are bias towards elite CBs. “Oh he’s a elite CB, he is suppose to be there”. Multiple times that woodson and Revis got away with getting to the WR early where other DBs wouldn’t have. Was it good coverage by them? Definitely but if you going to call it for other CBs why not them.

83. gang11green says: Oct 24, 2011 12:58 PM

Jammer was not looking for the ball. He had his back to the ball and he made contact on the receiver. How is that not a penalty. Come on now.

84. CKL says: Oct 24, 2011 1:01 PM

rabidbillsfan says: Oct 24, 2011 10:19 AM
    _______________________________________
    Holy crikey that was dreadful. I couldn’t believe it happened. Winters’ crew is the pits and has been for awhile now that Austin is retired.

I also hate how the “ball has to be catchable” thing has completely disappeared from the ruling of PI. I don’t know how many uncatchable balls I’ve seen draw a PI but since it’s any more than 0, it stinks.

The poster who said we all hold our breath on every long uncaught ball for PI was 100% right.

It’s possible to say yes, the Jets got most of the bad calls in their favor AND that they didn’t matter that much as far as who won. Jets would have won even if they didn’t get those calls. SD crapped the bed, handed the game to the NYJ and the NYJ didn’t make any unforced errors of their own to hand it back. Legit win for them.

85. mindyjeanne says: Oct 24, 2011 1:32 PM

The call against Jammer & the call against the Jets at the Goal Line were identical. I, personally don’t feel either should have been called, yet over this season I see that whether or not the receiver is touched, if a defensive player’s back is to the ball, regardless of whether or not the player is touched, they call pass interference. That seems to be called quite consistently. Bottom line, defensive players need to watching for the ball, NOT just box the offensive player out.

As for being imbalanced, I disagree. The Refs, did not cause the two interceptions, which were the real game changers, in addition to the Defense getting in gear.

Oh, and yeah Revis totally held the Miami receiver, BUT giving up a 100yd return regardless is unforgiveable

86. dukemarc says: Oct 24, 2011 2:43 PM

Good teams overcome bad calls…..the Bolts aren’t a good team.

87. gallops99 says: Oct 24, 2011 2:55 PM

Was it a PI? I don’t think it was. But that was really the only bad call against the Chargers all game, aside from a couple of offsides that were questionable.

In the end, the offense of the Chargers didn’t get it done. They had a chance to win the game and Rivers choked. In the second half he threw 2 pics, though only one was his fault. The Charger defense couldn’t stop the Jets offense in the second half, an offense that has been pretty miserable this year, from going down the field and scoring on 3 drives. Refs didn’t cause that. Piss poor play by the Chargers caused that.

88. zn0rseman says: Oct 24, 2011 3:38 PM

The NFL has been rigging games now for over 20 years in order to grow their business by ensuring that certain large market teams are consistent winners and that small market teams just have enough winning seasons to keep their fans interested. This is why certain teams are constantly getting favorable calls week to week.

The sad part about it is, that most fans don’t want to believe it, aren’t paying enough attention to see it, or just don’t care.

89. axespray says: Oct 24, 2011 3:52 PM

Jammer wouldn’t happen to have been born & raised a viking fan by any chance?

90. santaxico says: Oct 24, 2011 5:02 PM

str82dvd says: Oct 24, 2011 9:12 AM

—————————————————————-

I’m tired as hell of idiots who totally discount Sanchez. He’s no Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers, but he’s a more than adequate starting QB in this league. Let’s look at some stats:

A) His 83 passer rating is 17th in the league, ahead of Rivers, Cassel, Flacco, Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, and Bradford

B) His 12 TDs are tied for 5th, more than Eli, Romo, Vick, Cutler, Ryan, well, anyone not named Stafford, Brady, Brees or Rodgers

C) He has 6 picks, fewer than Cassel, Orton, Kolb, Ryan, Brees, Vick, Brady, Cam, Rivers, and Freeman

D) He has 4 road playoff wins in his first 2 seasons

E) He’s only in his THIRD year in the NFL!! Seriously, THIRD YEAR!! Drew Brees had 29 TDs and 31 INTs in his 1st 3 years (Sanchez has 41-39… 29-19 the past 2 years and will probably be closer to 50-43 by the end of the year)

F) He’s 28-17 as a starter in his career (counting the playoffs)

G) His passer rating, yards/ game, TDs, and Cmp % have gone up each year he’s played while his INTs and fumbles have gone DOWN each year… progress

Like I said, he’s not in the Top-10 QBs, but he’s probably Top-15 or right around there. He’s a legit quarterback who gets MORE public attention and scrutiny than any other QB because of the market and his coach. For example:

When he SUCKED against the Ravens and went 11-35 for 119 yards and an INT, he got CRUSHED (even though he had an average of 2.3 seconds to throw the ball per play and the couldn’t run the ball… 38 yards total).

Yet in that same game, Flacco went 10-31 for 163 yards and an INT, nobody said a word… even though the ravens running game went for 112 yards.

Just watch the games, not just his, other QBs too and you’ll realize that while Sanchez is nowhere CLOSE to perfect, he is just as good as Flacco, Cutler, and Ryan and definitely better than Freeman, McCoy, Dalton, A. Smith, Campbell, etc

Stop hating just because you hate NY, hate Rex, and hate the Jets. Just makes you sound like an idiot.

91. nyjalleffingday says: Oct 24, 2011 5:59 PM

@santaxico

I love you, +1!

Lets also not forget that he has less College/Bench time than most of those guys, if not all of them, there’s no continuity with his WRs, his OC is a giant clueless moron, and he’s been asked to lead the team since age 22!

92. fratboy1969 says: Oct 24, 2011 6:32 PM

Full dsiclosure: I am a Chargers fan. They didn’t deserve the win the game and would have lost it in any case. My problem was not with the PI call on Jammer. It was questionable, but one of those that could have gone either way. My problem was with the Line Judge, Gary Arthur. He twice called the defense offsides when it appreared the offense moved first, he called PI on Butler in an area of the field that appeared to be outside of his zone (the section of the field they watch for penalties), and he is the one who marked the first down on the Sanchez keep that appeared to be VERY generous. So say he was 50/50 for the day? Where is he, or any other offical, ever held accountable for his mistakes, or outright failure? Win or lose for the Chargers, Arthur stunk up the field and it looked intentional to me. Just my 2 cents worth on the subject. Congrats to the Jets on the win.

93. nekelund says: Oct 24, 2011 7:12 PM

The call on Jammer was the weakest PI call this year since the phantom PI call on A.J. Hawk in the Packers-Saints season opener. At least in the Packers-Saints game, the receiver didn’t push off like Holmes did (not that it should have been called offence PI, but the only contact after the ball had been thrown was Holmes pushing Jammer).

Weak.

94. nekelund says: Oct 24, 2011 7:25 PM

Also, @santaxico, you are completely wrong.

Sanchez has unremarkable arm strength, below average accuracy, mediocre mobility and is unremarkable in every other aspect of his game. The only reason he doesn’t throw a lot of interceptions is that every 2nd-3rd throw is completely uncatchable by any player on the field. Rarely have I seen a long-term starting QB regularly manage to overshoot wide-open receivers by 10+ yards and throw the ball 10 feet over their heads.

The whole reason they got Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress is that they need guys who have a chance at catching balls thrown in what can only generously be called the “general vicinity” of the receiver.

The Jets didn’t win over the past two years because of Sanchez; they won in spite of him through running and defence. Now that the Jets’ run game is struggling and the non-Revis defence is mediocre, Rex Ryan and “Sanchize” are being regularly exposed.

Sanchez, like Eli Manning, is grossly overrated because he is in New York and the New York media does everything in their power to convince the world that their mediocre QB’s are stars.

95. johnmcfarlannnn says: Oct 24, 2011 10:34 PM

Once again another article trying to make a big point by manipulating numbers. Saying there were 13 flags, 2 of them being pass interference on one player doesn’t mention the other 7 offsides penalties. And he should’ve had a third when he practically raped Santonio on that play over the middle in the second half at a huge point in the game. I love the Jets hate across the board. I bet if they haven’t had such recent success there wouldn’t be such hate