DeMarco Murray doesn’t mind if he’s still a third-stringer

St. Louis Rams v Dallas Cowboys Getty Images

DeMarco Murray set a Cowboys record with 253 rushing yards on Sunday, but after his record-setting day, Murray says he’s not assuming he’s now the Cowboys’ starter.

Instead, Murray says he’s fine with it if he remains behind Felix Jones and Tashard Choice on the Cowboys’ depth chart. Asked on NFL Network whether he’s now the Cowboys’ No. 1 back, Murray said he hasn’t given that much thought.

“To be honest, I don’t know. Whatever it is, whatever [head coach Jason] Garrett and [running backs coach Skip] Peete want me to do, I’m going to do,” Murray said. “Whether it’s the second-, third- or first-string guy, I’m going to do it with a smile on my face and continue to help this team win regardless.”

Murray might have some doubt, but it should be a slam-dunk decision for Garrett: Murray is the Cowboys’ best running back.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
42 Responses to “DeMarco Murray doesn’t mind if he’s still a third-stringer”
  1. edmazeing1 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:11 PM

2. gallaghedj311 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:12 PM

I don’t care if Walter is in the backfield, they got no QB

3. tommccrossin says: Oct 24, 2011 9:13 PM

I’m not tryin to rain on the guy’s parade or anything.. but that one game against the rams doesn’t exactly make him better than felix jones… perhaps the fact he got through one game makes him less of a band-aid than Felix Jones?

4. nineroutsider says: Oct 24, 2011 9:16 PM

I saw a lot of that game on the RedZone, the Rams are bad, but he deserves a lot of credit (and same with the o-line); he seems to have the moves and the vision.

5. The Shoeman says: Oct 24, 2011 9:17 PM

Murray is the Cowboys’ best running back.

**************************************************************

Starting this week … it’s back to 30 yds-per-game.

Mr. Babin / Mr. Patterson / Mr. Jenkins / Mr. Cole

say so.

6. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Oct 24, 2011 9:25 PM

One game does not a running back make. Remember Timmy Smith? Super Bowl record and he was nothing more. ONE GAME. That’s all it is, until he does more.

7. 5xchamp says: Oct 24, 2011 9:33 PM

yeah, cause the egirls D is sooo dominant…
    pppffftttttttt…… Muarry probably goes for 300 this week ! GO BOYS !
    as Bart Scott would say, CANT WAIT !!!!

8. mikebinrookline says: Oct 24, 2011 9:35 PM

Yea Shoeman, the eagles and their 4.8ypc (only 5 teams are worse) and 18th ranked overall rush defense really know how to intimidate…Cowboys are going to crush them.

9. dannomac21 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:42 PM

great attitude from murray

10. bobhk says: Oct 24, 2011 9:46 PM

Don’t like the cowboys but like this guys humility.

11. hieveryone12345 says: Oct 24, 2011 9:57 PM

Give DeMarco Murray one more game to see if he is for real or not, before we go naming him the starter. The Eagles run defense is horrible so I expect another 200 yard run performance by the cowboys but not by one back, a combination of felix jones, demarco murray and probably tashard choice.

12. trentofgilead says: Oct 24, 2011 9:58 PM

Starting this week … it’s back to 30 yds-per-game.

Mr. Babin / Mr. Patterson / Mr. Jenkins / Mr. Cole

say so.

————-

Philadelphia is ranked 23rd against the rush. Their linebackers make it so.

13. The Shoeman says: Oct 24, 2011 10:03 PM

mikebinrookline says: Oct 24, 2011 9:35 PM

Yea Shoeman, the eagles and their 4.8ypc

**************************************************************

You do realize , when the Cowboys lose

they will be in LAST PLACE !

14. polarbearsquares says: Oct 24, 2011 10:30 PM

250 yards on 25 carries is legit. I don’t care who it is. If it were so easy to do against the Rams, why didn’t anybody else do it? They’ve played some pretty good RBs. Lesean McCoy. Ray Rice. None of them had 250 on 25 carries. Not to mention only like 10 other people have games like that — in the history of the league.

But, you know, haters gonna hate. Particularly when it comes to the Cowboys. So whatever.

Tom Brady threw for 500 yards on the Dolphins and everybody fell all over him.

15. dawkattack says: Oct 24, 2011 10:35 PM

Teams have no tape on him once they get it he’ll come back to earth

16. superboys5x says: Oct 24, 2011 10:36 PM

Last I checked the ShEagles were in LAST PLACE, and looks like they will be there for a while.
    Murray will back up his breakout game with a drubbing of the underachieving 2-4 “Nightmare Team”. Don’t compare him to Timmy Smith, he ate himself out of the league had nothing to do with his talent.

17. boltschick says: Oct 24, 2011 10:45 PM

What a great attitude. So refreshing.

18. janvanflac says: Oct 24, 2011 10:49 PM

Agreed….one game against a bad team….
    unless he can do that consistently, and stay healthy, it’s a statistcal footnote.

19. stikolaboloni says: Oct 24, 2011 11:07 PM

I’ve watched every snap against the eagles D unfortunately. Murray will break at least 2 20-yarders you can take it to the bank

20. bearsrulepackdrool says: Oct 24, 2011 11:11 PM

__________

Thumbs up if you think this is total B.S.

21. ppc50 says: Oct 24, 2011 11:21 PM

The Timmy Smith comparison is a joke. Murray had a great career at Oklahoma, where Billy Sims, Marcus DuPree, Adrian Peterson, etc. played:

* All-Time Leader in Points Scored (390)
    * All-Time Leader in Touchdowns (65)
    * All-Time Leader in All Purpose Yards (6,718)
    * All-Time Leader in Receiving Yards for a Running Back (1,571)

The guy can play and has a great attitude.

22. pencepost says: Oct 24, 2011 11:22 PM

Doesn’t it always seem like the Cowboys’ backup RB is better than the starter? Emmitt Smith (in his last 1-2 years) to Julius Jones to Marion Barber to Felix Jones to now, Demarco Murray. Am I forgetting anyone?

23. ppc50 says: Oct 24, 2011 11:23 PM

Also, Tanner will be in the mix, Choice should be cut immediately.

24. howley1 says: Oct 24, 2011 11:58 PM

Agreed….one game against a bad team….

——————————————

Another bad team coming right up!

25. axespray says: Oct 24, 2011 11:59 PM

edmazeing1 says:Oct 24, 2011 9:11 PM
    “He will want first team money soon, if he keep up the game playing like he did $unday!!”

Jerry hasn’t already paid him All Day money yet?

26. gamermwm says: Oct 25, 2011 12:04 AM

First off, I’m a lifelong Cowboys fan and I have to disagree with the sudden annointing of Murray after his great game against the Rams

I saw nothing that made me think that Felix Jones wouldn’t have done the same to the Rams D, even if he was dinged up

I like Murray and wish the best for him, but a lot of people were picking him as a fantasy sleeper before the game because they knew then what we all should now: You have to give some credit to the Rams D for that performance

And to the guy who said they should cut Choice….no way. Felix was hurt so he didn’t play. Choice started but got hurt in the game…

So that left Dallas with 2 running backs: Murray and Tanner. They need to keep Choice because they need the depth right now

Wish you luck in the future Murray and I’m looking forward to your ratings boost in Madden this week ;)

27. gi141 says: Oct 25, 2011 12:22 AM

Eagles fan with a brain says, “Murray was a great college RB and looks like he has the skills to be a successful pro. However, I wouldn’t put too much stock in a big game this Sunday night, as it will come against one of the weakest Run D’s in Philadelphia history.”

Seriously, the only reason the Eagles D didn’t get torched by the ‘Skins was because Shanny went to Torain, who sucks. And then they went pass-heavy because Rex spotted the Eagles a few scores. A healthy Hightower and a run-first game plan would have kept the Birds D at the bottom of the league, and possibly ended their season.

Yeah, I’m an Eagles fan. But I’m not some idiot who makes foolish statements because I wish they were true. The Cowboys might lose on Sunday, their D will get tested by a rested Vick, but Murray should have a good night.

Wait and see what Murray does at home against a solid Seahawk run D. Jones is a big play RB that has a ton of value, but maybe he needs to be used like Reggie Bush, with Murray carrying a heavier 1st and 2nd down load.

28. mwcarolina says: Oct 25, 2011 12:23 AM

honestly, i would use both Felix Jones and Demarco Murray more. both are good backs and have speed and by the way.

29. kashonly says: Oct 25, 2011 12:54 AM

The one issue I saw was his conditioning. He was gassed after the 3rd quarter. I’m not so sure he’ll be able to heal and repeat HALF of this performance even against a shaky Eagles Run DEF.

I will say also, the boy needs to learn how to catch a football, didn’t he have like 3-4 drops? If he ever wants to be 1st string, he needs to be reliable. I like him and hope he does well, I am no Felix fan, best of luck Murray., don’t look for fame….yet.

30. ferdfteenthousand says: Oct 25, 2011 1:27 AM

Apparently CJ doesn’t see the issue here…

31. bobhk says: Oct 25, 2011 1:42 AM

ppc50 says:
    Oct 24, 2011 11:21 PM

* All-Time Leader in Points Scored (390)
    * All-Time Leader in Touchdowns (65)
    * All-Time Leader in All Purpose Yards (6,718)
    * All-Time Leader in Receiving Yards for a Running Back (1,571)

The guy can play and has a great attitude.
    —————-
    Love this guys attitude and he may be a star one day, but

great college career is not (necessarily) equal to great pro.
    Will wait to see how he does long term. But a great start.

32. 1fast84 says: Oct 25, 2011 2:26 AM

I agree with some people saying it takes more than one good game to come to any conclusion on a player. In reality it takes more than one season to really rate a player. Demarco does need more playing time everyone can agree on but to just throw him in as a starter after one good game is kinda dumb kinda like demoting a qb to backup after one bad game(grossman). Just not the way to do things

33. dennisg40 says: Oct 25, 2011 3:30 AM

Personally I would like to see more brains from the coaching staff running only on a draw play will rarely work against a good team and so it makes no difference who the running back is. The play and the blocking make all the difference so far we do not have the teachers that are able to either think up the plays or teach how to design and achieve the desired results in the running game.

I realize the Cowboys are a good team but they are far from a great team. We seem also to be plagued by injuries but any team can have that problem. This team still has more building to do and yes I believe the Cowboys needs to draft better defensive backs to help on the depth situation as we have NONE there. With as many rookies as we have I see some signs of greatness in the Cowboys but it is still not here yet.

I also see the new NFL labor contract being a problem teaching new recruits with shorter working hours and days it is more difficult to teach what the new people need to know and also keep the veterans tuned up.

34. kennyfukinpowers says: Oct 25, 2011 5:23 AM

The fumbling, autograph seeking Choice should be cut immediately. Then he can go to Philly and be Vick’s fluffer. Funny to see a Eagirls fan posting on here talking about being in last place!

35. speedlimit41 says: Oct 25, 2011 5:55 AM

Keep running the ball Dallas,the less Romo has to throw the ball the better.Staubach and Aikman never had huge stats.

36. kowboydmac says: Oct 25, 2011 8:01 AM

Murray was an absolute beast at Oklahoma…

….when he was healthy.

He probably would have shattered NCAA records of all sorts had he been healthy his entire career.

Regardless, here’s to hoping he can stay healthy in the pro’s. He’s quite a talent.

37. g2-565cfd5c11a869191e3803cf365dd100 says: Oct 25, 2011 8:34 AM

@The Shoeman

You do realize that the eagles have one of the worst run defenses in the league, right?

38. paulsmith107 says: Oct 25, 2011 9:27 AM

The haters are out in full force. True it was the rams but did anyone else run for at least 200 yards against them? Nope!!!! We were the worst run team they played and we popped off 300 yards on the ground. Felix couldn’t have done what Murray did because Felix isn’t a 20 carry a game back wasn’t in college and isn’t now. And ten yards per carry I would say over 10 or 15 carries you could say well the d sucked but on 25 no. He was amazing there were a few plays where he was stopped in the backfield and broke tackles he sees holes jones doesn’t just as fast bigger and was a starter not a changeup back like jones was. 250 on 25 is amazing regardless who the d was so for all you tool cowboy haters watch the game then talk

39. howley1 says: Oct 25, 2011 10:29 AM

Murray was an absolute beast at Oklahoma…
    ….when he was healthy.

—————————————————–

Why does everyone qualify everything he has done with “when he was healthy”? The guy was a beast, period.

759 carries.
    6,719 rushing yards.
    157 receptions.
    1,571 receiving yards.
    65 TDs.

40. ppc50 says: Oct 25, 2011 12:02 PM

Murray was an absolute beast at Oklahoma…

….when he was healthy.

——————————————————————–
    I agree, but I believe he only missed a couple of games over his Oklahoma career. To the poster above about Choice, I understand depth, but I think he should be cut and replaced by anyone available, preferably a big back – there are a couple out there.

41. cuthead06 says: Oct 25, 2011 12:22 PM

I don’t think murray is going to be the number one in dallas anytime soon. Garret said as much in him press conference yesterday which is what this quote is in response to. skip bayless made some good points against murray on first take yesterday. that the rams were using 2 deep safties all day because of injury which makes the D vulnerable to big plays. I will probably give him a fantasy start against the eagles on sunday with choice and jones still banged up, but I expect he will be back in the rotation getting fewer than 10 carries in a couple of weeks.

42. fastspecv says: Oct 25, 2011 12:33 PM

Do people even read these stories before they post? People on crapping on Murray for whatever reason when all he did was be a stand up player and not try and be like a diva and be demanding the starting spot and to get paid as one of the best RB’s in the league. The guy basically said whatever the coaches want me to do I will do with a smile on my face. How much more standup do you get?