Marcus Cannon practices for first time since cancer treatment

New England Patriots 2011 Headshots Getty Images

TCU guard Marcus Cannon was considered a likely second round prospect in the NFL Draft before word got out that he was suffering from non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

More than six months after the cancer diagnosis, Cannon is back on the football field.

Cannon practiced for the first time with the Patriots on Tuesday, according to multiple reports.  The team drafted Cannon in the fifth round and he started the season on the non-football injury list. The Patriots will have three weeks to watch Cannon practice before they have to make a roster move with him.

New England is as healthy as its been all year coming off the bye.  Everyone on the team was at practice, except for linebacker Dane Fletcher.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Marcus Cannon practices for first time since cancer treatment”
  1. jolink653 says: Oct 25, 2011 2:12 PM

good luck marcus i hope everything turns out well for you…as a patriots fan i’m really excited to see what you can do for the team on the field but your health is far more important than any game

2. dhawk12 says: Oct 25, 2011 2:13 PM

Great news for Cannon, bad for the rest of the NFL. Do the Patriots really need another draft-day steal?

3. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Oct 25, 2011 2:17 PM

When you are good you can take a chance on a guy like Cannon. Depth is good as the year moves on. I’m sure even guys like Rex Ryan are happy to see someone beat cancer. I think.

4. doorandwindowplus says: Oct 25, 2011 2:26 PM

If he didn’t have the cancer issue he would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder. I think he starts next year if healthy.

5. unbreakable02215 says: Oct 25, 2011 2:35 PM

Kid is a physical beast. Would have been drafted
    much higher if not for his illness. He could be
    an additional piece to their O line long-term.

All the luck in the world to him. He’s worked so
    hard to get back.

Good luck Marcus. Hope you have a long career.

6. zpfeifer7mn says: Oct 25, 2011 2:44 PM

I look forward to see my team the Vikings upset for years to come that they didn’t draft Marcus Cannon. Good money hell be a fixture on o-line for next decade.

7. godofwine330 says: Oct 25, 2011 3:01 PM

I wanted my Browns to draft him in at least the 4th, but they passed on him for a TE prospect who hasn’t been active all season.

I heard about him on Tim & Pat’s Movin’ The Chains on SiriusXM and came away impressed, this was before the diagnosis. I’d hoped the Browns would get him in the 2nd then. Other than Joe Tomas, we haven’t picked a lineman higher than 3rd (Shawn Lavauo last year)

Good for him. I am rooting for this guy because he should have been on my squad.

8. elmoron says: Oct 25, 2011 3:06 PM

I’m pullin’ for the kid. Good luck Big Guy.

9. Patskrieg dot com says: Oct 25, 2011 3:15 PM

Who the hell is the one guy who keeps giving all the comments thumbs down? The guy’s a cancer survivor trying to recover his dream. Give him a break for at least a few weeks.

Yeeeesh.

10. ijahru says: Oct 25, 2011 4:06 PM

This is a kid you can root for. Cancer cost him some money. Now he gets to learn from Brian Waters and Logan Mankins for a year or so. Hopefully he cashes in on his second contract.

11. heisthejuan says: Oct 25, 2011 4:36 PM

This guy is a behemoth. Not sure if he ever gets activated this season (although he’d add talented depth at Guard and Tackle) but I like his future.

12. unbreakable02215 says: Oct 25, 2011 5:35 PM

He’s the RG of the future I think. Belichick says there’s no reason he can’t be moved inside.

13. homelanddefense says: Oct 26, 2011 9:11 AM

Happy for the kid.

Worried for the people who thumbs down a post in support of a cancer survivor.

14. groganshero says: Oct 26, 2011 4:40 PM

I’m super happy he’s on my team. Marcus’ story isn’t just a good football story – it’s a good life story. My teenager is recovering from cancer and we are both huge Pats fans. Best of luck to you Marcus.