Andre Johnson returns to practice

Andre Johnson AP

Texans receiver Andre Johnson injured a hamstring during a Week Four game against the Steelers.  He hasn’t played since.

But as the Texans prepare to face the suddenly rejuvenated Jaguars, who could close the gap between the two teams to one game with a win, one of Houston’s biggest problems could soon be solved:  Johnson has returned to practice.

“He went the whole practice,” coach Gary Kubiak said Wednesday, via comments distributed by the team.  “It’s a huge step forward.  It’s just good to get him out of working on his own mode and work with the players.  I think it’s going to be a process this week, but there’s obviously a chance [that he’ll play], the fact that he practiced.  It’ll be a day-to-day deal.”

Johnson officially participated on a limited basis.  “I just went out and did a little bit in practice today to see how I feel,” Johnson said.  “I wouldn’t say I felt great.  I didn’t feel how I expected I would feel, but I was able to go out and make a few plays.  We just keep taking it one day at a time.”

Johnson said he feels some “tugging” when he runs on the leg, which required surgery.  “If I feel the way I feel today, I probably won’t play Sunday, but today is not Sunday,” Johnson said.  “We still have some days ahead of us that we have to work through.  I just keep progressing day by day and see how it feels.”

He said that he’s able to make cuts and run routes, and that the pain arises only when he tries to explode vertically down the field.  And that’s a skill the Texans desperately have missed in the last three weeks, during which the team has gone 1-2.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Andre Johnson returns to practice”
  1. drevilstolemymojito says: Oct 26, 2011 8:09 PM

I hope he makes a quick recovery. He’s a real player, and I know he wants to be out there. Just don’t push it and get re-injured!

2. seahawks4alltime says: Oct 26, 2011 8:12 PM

They may have missed that verticle threat but Arian Foster had a monster game last week. That was awesome.

3. captainwisdom8888 says: Oct 26, 2011 8:15 PM

One week too late for a hateful reunion with Finnegan.

Celebrity Deathmatch Please.

4. zillabeast says: Oct 26, 2011 8:19 PM

As shady as Houston has been about all this, I’m not convinced. Didn’t Andre tell the press a week ago that it could be up to six weeks?

Arian Foster seems to be doing fine on his own. Why rush Johnson back?

5. zoxitic says: Oct 26, 2011 8:30 PM

I hope you are fully recovered on Monday Oct 31st and not 1 day before.

6. maddenisfordorks says: Oct 26, 2011 9:13 PM

Even from a Jag fan – I’d like to see him back out there.

7. kissbillsrings says: Oct 26, 2011 10:45 PM

There is no way he comes back this week…next week may even be in doubt & I wouldn’t be shocked if it wasn’t till after their Bye week…they need him for the long haul & VS the Jags/Browns & TB it would be foolish to rush him back…

8. goawayeverybody says: Oct 27, 2011 12:35 AM

Please don’t overdo it Andre! I need you for fantasy football playoffs.

9. okiny says: Oct 27, 2011 8:34 AM

zillabeast says: Oct 26, 2011 8:19 PM

Arian Foster seems to be doing fine on his own. Why rush Johnson back?

——————————————–

I don’t think that they will “rush” him back, but don’t you think that Arian Foster would be doing even better if opposing D’s had to worry about Andre Johnson as well?

10. cmack21 says: Oct 28, 2011 3:49 AM

He needs to come back… they dont have another WR… Foster & Daniels can only do so much. Yeah were looking at you #12