Asante Samuel: Eagles’ front office “playing fantasy football”

Cleveland Browns v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

Philadelphia cornerback Asante Samuel said last week that the Eagles don’t want him. Today Samuel got more specific, ripping team president Joe Banner and G.M. Howie Roseman for playing with owner Jeff Lurie’s money.

“Couple people upstairs might not want me, but who cares? They’ve probably never played football,” Samuel said, via CSNPhilly.com. “It’s a business and they run it like a business and they’re going to do what they need to do. They’re playing with a lot of money, playing fantasy football, doing their thing.”

Asked if he meant Roseman and Banner, Samuel said: “Howie and Joe? I don’t know, do they fit the comment I made? There ya go. You think they’re upstairs playing fantasy football with the owner’s money?”

Samuel wasn’t happy that the Eagles were reportedly interested in trading him.

“That sucks, doesn’t it?” Samuel said. “Each trade deadline for your name to be flying around and you’re supposed to be the leader of this team?”

Samuel said he has no problem with Eagles coach Andy Reid, but he questions whether Reid is in charge.

“I think there’s a little power struggle around here,” Samuel said. “But it’s all good. Like I said, me and Andy cool. I’m here to play for Andy. He’s my head coach and that’s all that matters. . . . Everything has been good with me and Andy. That’s my guy. That’s who I play for, that’s who I continue to play for. I go to war for Andy.”

But the rest of the front office, Samuel sounds like he’s ready to go to war against.

Permalink 76 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
76 Responses to “Asante Samuel: Eagles’ front office “playing fantasy football””
  1. britishraven says: Oct 26, 2011 5:06 PM

Uh oh, this doesn’t sound good

2. eaglessuperfan says: Oct 26, 2011 5:08 PM

Play better and you’ll have nothing to worry about.

3. dat1ravens1fan says: Oct 26, 2011 5:08 PM

come join the war in baltimore!

4. waxthat says: Oct 26, 2011 5:08 PM

is this a dream or is this a fantasy, that tis the question

5. mhalt99 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:09 PM

We Love You Asante!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…….possibly the only eagle defender not known for sticking his nose into every tackle but we love what you do.

6. edmazeing1 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:11 PM

As soon as your release, welcome to the silver & black!!!

7. scrotiemcb says: Oct 26, 2011 5:11 PM

The first thing that strikes you about Asante Samuel is his maturity…

8. flsnupe says: Oct 26, 2011 5:12 PM

eaglessuperfan says:
    Oct 26, 2011 5:08 PM
    Play better and you’ll have nothing to worry about.

***************************

Asante is balling. Always have for the Eagles. lol It that o line that needs to play better.

9. marader78 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:13 PM

AHHH the DREAM TEAM, how far they have fallen…I feels like just yesterday, Eagle fans were in here during their offseason frenzy…downright guaranteeing a SB victory this year…LOL…Philly should have learned from Oakland’s many mistakes that big free angent frenzies, rarely work out.

10. billinva says: Oct 26, 2011 5:13 PM

So are you Asante, so are you.

11. countsnail says: Oct 26, 2011 5:13 PM

Why is it that every time Samuel opens his mouth, he whines?

Grow up, Asante. If you know it’s a business then you have no reason to complain about the front office’s decision making. If you have three great CBs and 3 terrible LBs, then it’s a common sense move to let one of those CBs walk in order to free up cap space for a LB.

It’s not a personal insult, it’s business. Nothing more, nothing less. Though Samuel is on a path to make it something more.

12. yzguy431 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:14 PM

remember when players played?

13. kayotiicdat says: Oct 26, 2011 5:15 PM

Bring your gold teeth to New Orleans

14. scorpiodsu says: Oct 26, 2011 5:15 PM

Coming from the guy with 1 INT in 6 games, avoids tackling like the plague and does nothing but runs his mouth. Ronnie Brown got traded and then the trade was reversed and he had to come back to the team. What did Brown say? “That’s just how business is in the NFL, no hard feelings”. Asante’s name was mentioned and he’s acting like he’s so great that the mere thought of trading him is foolish. Safe to say he won’t be an Eagle next year. I much rather DRC and Asomugha be the starters on the outside right now anyway.

15. captainwisdom8888 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:16 PM

Most over-rated defensive player in the league by far. Thats exactly what you do with over-paid, under achieving, loudmouth players. You trade them away. Saves money but more importantly headaches

16. ownbay says: Oct 26, 2011 5:17 PM

It looks like a 6-10 season in Philly. haha gotta love it

17. db105 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:17 PM

The people that Samuel is referring to are the same people that are overpaying him.

18. jigwig13 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:18 PM

He’s gonna try and forcee his way out

19. cobrala2 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:18 PM

Most of you are focusing on Asante the Whiner instead of what he’s saying.

I believe him. Banner was promoted a couple years ago and the press (incl. PFT to this day) ignore that – y’all want to think of Reid as the Master & Commander, but he’s not. This offseason is testament to a massive philosophical change in Philly… and people want to assume it’s that’s changing???

Think again.

20. touchdownroddywhite says: Oct 26, 2011 5:19 PM

BOOM! Roasted….

In a way it’s very true. They went for the big hitters available at the time.

21. sdffa11 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:20 PM

i cant wait to see this “leader” get cut or traded. might be great at racking up INTs but i can play bump and run better than him.

22. eaglesfootballfan says: Oct 26, 2011 5:21 PM

Dear Asante Samuel: Please learn how to tackle, cover and get more than 1 interception this season and then you can run your mouth. The Eagles are paying you all this money and you have been an average corner this year so just shut your mouth and play football.

23. brintfatre says: Oct 26, 2011 5:22 PM

Sounds like they have their acts together and focused on beating the Cullboys on their way to the Superbowl doesn’t it!?!?!

24. ripcityhawkhead says: Oct 26, 2011 5:23 PM

He hit the nail on the head, they are a fantasy dream team but an on field joke. Pro Bowlers all over the place mixed with guys who shouldn’t even be on NFL rosters.

25. waitingguilty says: Oct 26, 2011 5:23 PM

“They’ve probably never played football…”

Right Asante.

Just like you’ve never run a billion dollar company.

26. mancave001 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:23 PM

marader78 says:
    Oct 26, 2011 5:13 PM
    ———————

Funny, but as an Eagles fan, I don’t recall a single person guaranteeing anything. It’s the rest of you haters that were just waiting for things to not go as well as we’d hoped.

27. groganshero says: Oct 26, 2011 5:27 PM

I used to wonder why the Pats dumped this guy … not any more. Maybe T.O. and Assante can start their own league. Call it the Me-me-me Football League. Someone wake up Jamarcus Russell.

28. nfl fan says: Oct 26, 2011 5:28 PM

He’s right. Lurie and Banner doing what we do in Fantasy Football. Even when you think you have a good team aka Dream Team, it doesn’t guarantee you anything…and don’t kid yourself in thinking that Howie is actually the GM.

A real football guy wouldn’t have let Dawkins go.

29. semperfi24 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:28 PM

First Asante says he isnt wanted… Now he appears to be trying to talk his way out of town

30. theherogothamdeserved86 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:28 PM

Haha that’s funny Asante, you rip the front office because they have never played football and then you make a war analogy. I can just hear the thousands of vets of our recent wars saying “You never played the game, Asante.”

31. oscojoe says: Oct 26, 2011 5:28 PM

Assante just focus on “DOING YOUR JOB” and stop complaining about the Eagles front office who are just doing there Job.

When you left the Patriots to sign a $56 Million Dollar contract with the Eagles you said it was a Business Decision.

You were right and if the Eagles Trade you it will be a Business Decision, one that you are making easier for them every time you open your mouth!

32. fattycoats says: Oct 26, 2011 5:33 PM

Love to have you here in Detroit, we could use an elite player in the secondary…….oh and while I’m on the subject, how about a LT that could protect Stafford, to replace Jeff Sackus….High school playoffs will be over soon, maybe we could find some talent there?

33. gimmeabruschi says: Oct 26, 2011 5:35 PM

My rule has always been if you drop a game winning interception in the Super Bowl you should just shut up and try to get better. Obviously Asante doesn’t live by that rule.

34. slammincamnewton says: Oct 26, 2011 5:35 PM

ANDY REID IS THE NEXT GREAT COACH…..

….for the Cleveland Browns.

35. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 26, 2011 5:35 PM

Banner and Roseman should forgo their salaries due to poor performance. But we all know that isn’t going to happen.

36. pastabelly says: Oct 26, 2011 5:35 PM

Asante has his two rings and the cash he was never going to see in Foxboro. The Patriots should have locked him into a deal before he hit free agency. Now they’re making the same mistake with Welker. Both players are better off in New England.

37. ampats says: Oct 26, 2011 5:38 PM

Mesante,

You sold yourself to the higgest bidder. When you were a free agent as your tatoo says, You Got Paid. Thats all Mesante cared about as he dropped an interception right in his hands in the SB ruining the possibility of the greatest season ever.

Enjoy the $$$ and playing for the “dream team “!

38. jakek2 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:40 PM

Riddle of the day.

Who backtracks better? Asante in coverage OR Eagles’ fans on their bold Dream Team guarantees?

39. boiler72 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:40 PM

Once again … the defending champion Packers would like to thank the Dream Team for sucking, and for there being zero pressure or scrutiny on the champs. This is friggin’ hilarious, LOL.

40. Lev says: Oct 26, 2011 5:42 PM

Look! It’s T.O. in an Asante suit!!!

41. pack1980 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:42 PM

Asante – You are better off playing for a team that is not crumbling before your very eyes. If the “Dream Team” does not want it’s 2nd best DB, than consider yourself lucky. If the Eagles make the playoffs, they will most likely slide in as the last wild card and chances are they are 1 and done. If Vick goes down for an extended period of tme, this team doesn’t even get into the playoffs. Plus he is a liability this year anyways with his up and down play.

Wake up and just be thankful you might not have to be a part of that mess. Expecially when the whole coaching staff gets fired after this season.

42. jackfnburton says: Oct 26, 2011 5:44 PM

This is never a good sign.

43. paulitik74 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:46 PM

Atlanta will gladly trade Dunta Robinson for Asante.

44. mymorningstory says: Oct 26, 2011 5:48 PM

Dude, as long as he is willing to goto war for andy, I could give two craps about what he thinks of the front office.

45. dukemarc says: Oct 26, 2011 5:48 PM

Asante Samuel = Ray Buchanan. Makes one big play, give up two in return.

46. pflynn20 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:50 PM

Nothing he said wasn’t true. Banner and Roseman are weasels. Roseman is the biggest wannabe GM in football who’s 1st two drafts have been dreadful. Refreshing to hear somebody on the Eagles speak their mind as opposed to banalities uttered by McNabb and Reid all the time.

47. edmazeing1 says: Oct 26, 2011 5:55 PM

@Paul Trade deadline pass!!!

48. laeaglefan says: Oct 26, 2011 6:04 PM

I think Asante can safely assume that he’s going to have a new address next season. Unfortunately for the Eagles though, their window of opportunity for getting anything worthwhile for Samuel in a trade has closed. They’ll be forced to release him or unload him for a low draft pick. Unfortunate for Asante as well, since whoever he ends up signing with won’t pay him anywhere close to the $8.4 million he’d have been due from the Eagles in 2012.

49. twesty85 says: Oct 26, 2011 6:06 PM

@ mancave001

pretty sure almost every eagles fan was drooling and saying there was a super bowl coming to philly this year.

50. derekjetersmansion says: Oct 26, 2011 6:14 PM

No interceptions and he’s a useless, average player. They don’t pay him to tackle.

51. derekjetersmansion says: Oct 26, 2011 6:16 PM

@ nfl fan

He couldn’t cover anyone after 2006, so how is he better than what we have now?

52. tjstyles says: Oct 26, 2011 6:21 PM

I get Samuel’s point, but I think it is the responsibility of the front office to do whatever it takes to keep improving the team. If it means trading a player…well that is part of the business.

Yeah, it sucks to be constantly looking over your shoulder expecting a trade, but all you can do is put your head down and play. If you get traded, you get traded, and you put your head down and play for your new team, teammates and coach. You can’t take it personal. It’s not like the FO is up there just dreaming up ways to upset their players. They are trying to win. They are trying to deliver a quality product to their fans.

Frankly, it’s their job to look at trading players.

53. mlmeier says: Oct 26, 2011 6:23 PM

Being the playmaker that he is, I totally understand why he’d feel undervalued with all the rumors flying around, and to a certain degree even respect his honesty in saying so. But there’s a point where, as a player, you need to tone it back a bit and act professional. It’s all good until you start becoming a focal point of tensions within the locker room, at which point he’s not only hurting the team but even more so himself, especially with the amount of money he’s currently set to receive (even though he’ll likely end up receiving it from someone other than the Eagles next year).

54. grandpoopah says: Oct 26, 2011 6:24 PM

Good for Asante. He’s right.

55. zeussuperman says: Oct 26, 2011 6:37 PM

twesty85 says: Oct 26, 2011 6:06 PM

@ mancave001

————————-

And what did you say before Week 1?

Did you say your team had a chance at a Super Bowl?

Or did you say “Man, maybe my team will go 8-8 and miss the playoffs! I know that’s why I watch the games!”

If you don’t hope your team wins it all every year, you’re not a real fan.

56. jmat40 says: Oct 26, 2011 6:57 PM

What’s with all this opinion giving in public we are getting from players?
    Shut your mouth and play football. That’s what your paid and paid well for. I don’t want to hear your opinion’s about anything.
    Keep it in house if you have problems with the people running things. Nothing good comes from airing the dirty laundry.
    This isn’t just for Asante Samuel, this is for any player on any team who’s flapping their gums.

57. bobleblah says: Oct 26, 2011 7:01 PM

Winning cures problems, and the Eagles are winning on Sunday against the ‘gals.

58. tjstyles says: Oct 26, 2011 7:04 PM

@zeussuperman:

Hoping your team wins it all and having realistic expectations for your team are two different things.

I am a Vikings fan. I “hoped” we would do really well and make it to the Superbowl and win. But, if someone asked me what I expected for the team, I said 4-12 and last place in the division.

I am not less of a fan because I realize that my team needs help in the O-Line, WR, CB, LB, and S. I am not less of a fan because I realized that, while I am a McNabb fan, he was not likely to lead us to a Superbowl any time soon.

Chance? Of course they have a chance. Every team has a chance. Every year a player has a breakout season that changes the direction of their team. But every team has a chance to underperform, too.

Bottom line is that even though I have tempered my expectations for my team, I still watch every game, I still buy the jerseys, I still use my Vikings cup at work, I still talk about the team and think of what they need to do to fix the holes they have. I am still a fan, even if I am not expecting my team to win the Superbowl.

59. merc3375 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:06 PM

Asante, you’re getting paid pretty well to not tackle. Step up your play and keep doing your job. Rants will not get you released. It’s fine to be unhappy with management, but keep it to yourself.

60. jacksaysfu says: Oct 26, 2011 7:06 PM

Asanteto Den for LB DJ Williams

61. kingjoe1 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:27 PM

Hey Asante! The front office may be playing fantasy football but at least they are playing some type of football. You haven’t shown up yet. 17 tackles in 7 games, 1 INT and 2 pass defenses; I am not sure a 6 million dollar man should be talking very much with a season stat line like that.

62. drew05 says: Oct 26, 2011 9:07 PM

I watch all the games…most of them twice…

Asante is the worst player on the team…

He can’t cover man-to-man…
    He WON”T tackle…worse than can’t…
    He’s lost in zone coverage half the time…off “makin a play” he calls it…

I call it, freelancing…

Watch the games Eagle fans…

“El Presidente” is horrible.

Cut him….NOW.(yesterday/last month/season)

Impeach, “El Presidente!”

63. drew05 says: Oct 26, 2011 9:09 PM

If you want a good laugh…

Go look up the footage of him trying to tackle Michael Turner of Atlanta…

He basically runs away from him.

Then, for more laughs…

Go see that tackle he tried to make last week…wow, embarrasing…

He got hurt, wich I don’t want to see anyone get hurt, but…Wow.

64. howley1 says: Oct 26, 2011 9:12 PM

Winning cures problems, and the Eagles are winning on Sunday against the ‘gals.

—————————————————————–

Even if the Dream Team wins, they’ll still be 3-4.

Still waiting on the article about Vince Young being sued.

65. keephatinghaters77 says: Oct 26, 2011 9:19 PM

Man so many Eagle haters, A.S has a point somewhat cause when your name gets tossed around in trade rumors its gott a be a distraction cause im sure if YOU heard your name getting tossed around and being fired or sent to a different department im sure you wouldn’t like it but A.S makes millions not 30-40 grand a year…You didn’t get traded so do your job so you won’t get traded….

66. nickynick04 says: Oct 26, 2011 9:32 PM

The Dream Team……….

67. cruester says: Oct 26, 2011 9:38 PM

Asante pushed me far enough to create an account so I can post a comment. He is clearly not looking out for his own interest in the future. Future employers will not like his mouth and not be willing to pay him for it. He would serve himself better by trying to play out his current contract since he will not be hansomely rewarded again. Yes, he is a ball hawk, but he also gives up the occasional big play, which essentially cancels out the pick six. Give me a shut down corner all day long! Not letting a wide receiver score at all is what I want.

68. n21rio says: Oct 26, 2011 9:48 PM

Wait people actually think Asante is an average cover corner? I’m glad so many people on this site don’t watch football. I’ve seen every snap he’s played since he arrived in Philadelphia, and you people literally have no clue what you’re talking about. Yea, so he misses tackles. He didn’t become an elite corner because of his tackling skills. He’s a QBs nightmare. He picks off anything and everything but also forces some of the lowest YPA and opposing QB ratings against. He’s not a boom/bust player just because he’s a gambler. He’s a brilliant zone player who doesn’t make many mistakes. Go research some advanced coverage metrics or actually watch the man play before you imbeciles run your mouth on things you don’t understand.

69. freedomispopular says: Oct 26, 2011 9:49 PM

You’re SUPPOSED to be a team leader…but instead you’re publicly airing your grievances against the team.

70. keephatinghaters77 says: Oct 26, 2011 10:37 PM

————————————————————————————–
    Well said dude, People like to criticize but know nothing about the player or stats…Every corner on the league gives up big plays every now and then…He has more picks on the NFL since he was drafted…Yeah he can’t tackle but he’ll pick your ass off over and over if you’re not smart…Keep hating haters

71. howley1 says: Oct 26, 2011 11:10 PM

zeussuperman says:

Hey! Look who’s back!

72. howley1 says: Oct 26, 2011 11:27 PM

—————————————————-

QB rating against the Eagles D this season is 88.2. That’s 22nd in the NFL. Their 7.7 yards given up per pass attempt is tied for 20th. The best QB’s they have faced so far are probably Eli Manning and Matt Ryan and they hung 8 TD passes on those guys. My question is if Samuel is so good and Asomugha is so good, why is the Eagles pass D so bad?

73. patpatriotagain says: Oct 27, 2011 12:47 AM

so much for that great “family”

74. diamonddave4ever says: Oct 27, 2011 3:55 AM

crybaby that is under performing. take a trade and work on getting your rep back

75. nocryinginbaseball07 says: Oct 27, 2011 6:53 AM

________________________________________

What guarantees? Were you guys even reading PFT in the preseason, or we’re you on Haters-R-Us? Eagles fans weren’t guaranteeing anything. ……just hoping. Fans can’t hope for a good season? Amazing.

76. drew05 says: Oct 27, 2011 12:25 PM

Watch the ‘Boys game-plan Sunday night…

If they are smart, wich I question, hehe…they will do the same things they did in the last 2 meetings…

Throw screens/swings/pitches all out wide to the right…make Asante tackle.

It is what Buffalo did…
    It is what Atlanta did in the 2nd half…
    It is what S.F. did to get their run-game going…

I don’t know much about this Murray kid, but if he’s an NFL RB…Asante will run away from him.

Say all you want about “big-play abilities” (where are they this year 22?)…Asante plays on the defensive side of the ball…

His job description is more than freelancing to intercept a pass once a month on average.

Cut him, please.