Gruden on Keyshawn: “You’ve got to have some thick skin”

Bears v Dolphins Getty Images

On Sunday, ESPN analyst Keyshawn Johnson took a shot at ESPN analyst Jon Gruden, saying that Gruden messed with his head when Johnson played for him. On Wednesday, Gruden took his opportunity to respond.

During an appearance on ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike in the Morning, Gruden was asked about players publicly criticizing coaches, and he quickly turned it into an opportunity to bring up Johnson’s comments.

“I had a guy on SportsCenter say he couldn’t get along with me the other day on TV,” Gruden said. “So I know how it feels. You’ve got to have some thick skin, and you’ve got to know when things get tough there are going to be some negative things said.”

It actually wasn’t SportsCenter, it was Sunday NFL Countdown, but it was interesting that Gruden felt the need to bring up Johnson’s comments. If Gruden’s skin were really thick, wouldn’t he just let it go?

In any event, I have a feeling this is the last we’re going to hear about it, as ESPN will likely tell both guys to put a sock in it.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Gruden on Keyshawn: “You’ve got to have some thick skin””
  1. upyoursnfu says: Oct 26, 2011 12:36 PM

Does Gruden ever shut up?

2. countsnail says: Oct 26, 2011 12:37 PM

Of course they don’t get along. Didn’t Gruden kick him off the Buccaneers in the middle of a game? That doesn’t exactly foster a close relationship between two people.

3. finsfan71 says: Oct 26, 2011 12:38 PM

What’s his skin got anything to do with it?

4. wryly1 says: Oct 26, 2011 12:38 PM

Both of them are legends in their own minds.

5. cowboyhater says: Oct 26, 2011 12:41 PM

Keyshawn has always been a whiner, and Gruden has always been a hot head on the sideline. Get over it……

6. otis52gsh says: Oct 26, 2011 12:41 PM

Keyshawn never did know when to just shut the heck up.

7. myspaceyourface says: Oct 26, 2011 12:42 PM

B.S.P.N. what a joke.

8. myspaceyourface says: Oct 26, 2011 12:43 PM

Would you rather have Cowher or Gruden as your next head coach.

Thumbs up for Cowher

Thumbs down for Gruden

9. rodgerthat says: Oct 26, 2011 12:44 PM

Chuckie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. ern215 says: Oct 26, 2011 12:45 PM

ALTHOUGH JOHN GRUDEN IS A GREAT COACH, HE DOES COME OFF AS VERY ABRASIVE, NOW AT THE SAME TIME, IF YOURE MAKING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, YOU KINDA HAVE TO JUST DEAL WITH IT (WHATEVER IS BEING SAID) AND GO TO WORK JUST LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD.

11. snowpea84 says: Oct 26, 2011 12:50 PM

Him knowing it happened and using it as an example does not show anything about him being thick skinned or not,

12. cereal blogger says: Oct 26, 2011 12:50 PM

Its a total joke that ESPN hired Keyshawn “MeShawn” Johnson,,,he’s exactly the type nobody really cares to recieve insight from b/c he’s selfish, arrogant & clearly doesnt get the team aspect of the game….I guess T.O. or Ocho is next once they are forced into retirement (like MeShawn) due to lack of interest by the league

13. rexryanstoecheese says: Oct 26, 2011 12:51 PM

HOPEFULLY, it is isn’t Rex Ryans Wife’s Sock! Lord knows where that things been, “oy vey… OY VEY everybody!!”

14. mightymightylafootball says: Oct 26, 2011 12:51 PM

Who’s got two thumbs, a cushy broadcasting gig and a giant mouth?

*This Guy!*

15. nationalmediacansuckit says: Oct 26, 2011 12:57 PM

Why does Gruden look like he’s taking a massive dump in that pic?

16. ronswansonsdinner says: Oct 26, 2011 12:59 PM

Man Keyshawn Johnson, look at this guy. It’s always about him and never the team. I’ll tell you what he can play on my team anytime, as soon as he grows some thick skin.

17. pixelito says: Oct 26, 2011 1:10 PM

And Keyshawn was a zero-factor in the Bucs Superbowl season.

What a wasted NFL career.

18. das14 says: Oct 26, 2011 1:19 PM

I”m not surprised. I love both these guys becasue they could get upset over anything, some guys just like to argue and make a point. They both could argue how round a circle is.

19. rpiotr01 says: Oct 26, 2011 1:20 PM

If you want to play QB for Gruden, you need to have some thick armor around your spleen.

20. sf49erguy says: Oct 26, 2011 1:25 PM

I’m sooo over Gruden. congratulations Jon you won a superbowl with Tony Dungys’ team 8yrs ago and you’ve been riding that wave for too long now. Go Away!!!

21. footballgenius101 says: Oct 26, 2011 1:29 PM

I change the channel when Keyshawn starts talking.

22. savocabol1 says: Oct 26, 2011 1:40 PM

I have stopped watching Sunday Countdown. They are nothing but clowns on that show. Besides Ditka, I don’t respect anyone’s opinion on that show.

23. riverhorsey says: Oct 26, 2011 1:46 PM

Gruden was saying Keyshawn couldn’t take it when things got tough.

24. geniusfan says: Oct 26, 2011 1:48 PM

Meshawn Johnson…..

25. staffordsyear says: Oct 26, 2011 2:05 PM

gruden can’t coach.

26. rudegger says: Oct 26, 2011 2:29 PM

A selfish player, and a selfish coach.

27. scytherius says: Oct 26, 2011 2:38 PM

GOD someone put a sock in Gruden’s mouth. He has made Monday Night Football utterly unwatchable.

28. vomitingliberals says: Oct 26, 2011 3:49 PM

Gruden was never that great a coach. He has real trouble developing QBs. Most of the time, he just settles on bringing in stop-gaps at the position. Actually, in hindsight, he does that pretty much at EVERY position. He’s not a groomer like Bill Walsh or Don Shula was, he’s a plug & replace Head Coach, and I’m not a big fan of that sort. Hope he’s not the next HC of my Dolphins. God help us!

29. zinn22 says: Oct 26, 2011 3:58 PM

Everyone wants to have an opinion. But its hard to know what truly happened without being there. Sometimes in life good people simply do not get along for whatever reason. I have known some really good people that I simply did not click with. It happens and in an environment like the NFL where there is tremendous pressure on everyone. It is not surprising things like this happen.

The Keyshawn/Gruden incident was a blemish on Both Gruden and Keyshawn’s rep and its something that I am sure both regret. We all make mistakes everyday. Fortunately not mistakes that are in the public eye that people never forget. I think we hold these players and coaches to a standard that is way to high.

30. staffordsyear says: Oct 26, 2011 4:07 PM

I bet that face of him up top is the same one he makes when he pulls up to kfc and they tell him their out of potatoe salad.

31. memphisyinzer says: Oct 26, 2011 4:14 PM

I have to admit that I would rather watch Chuckie on the side lines and read his lips (not very hard to do) when things go badly. He’s very entertaining in that venue, but not so much as an analyst.

Keshawn is totally worthless, on the field or in the studio. I’m surprised that he hasn’t rewritten the books on how to play football, he considers himself to be such an expert. Just once I’d like to see Ditka or Jackson smack him across the mouth. He shows no respect to them at all.

32. tbdevilrayfan says: Oct 26, 2011 6:55 PM

Meshawn has always been the only player Chuckie didn’t absolutely love!

33. FromThisSeat.com says: Oct 28, 2011 5:02 PM

Keyshawn was a diva. Sensitive. Just like TO, Chad, Dez Bryant. They’re punks. Give me a guy like Wes Welker, Andre Johnson, Hines Ward. Those are the type of receivers I want on my roster.