Jason Campbell says he’s not ready to be a backup

Jason Campbell AP

Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell broke his collarbone 10 days ago.  Two days later, the Raiders traded for Carson Palmer.  One day later, Campbell found out about the trade while watching TV.

Faced with the fact that his contract expires after the season and the reality that Palmer, given the trade compensation, isn’t a half-season rental, Campbell won’t be the starter in Oakland next year.  As a result, he apparently won’t be in Oakland next year.

I’m a starter in this league,” Campbell tells CSN Bay Area.  “Definitely.  I look around the league and I play at a higher level than most guys.  I’m definitely a starter.  I’m not ready to accept being in a backup role.  I’ve come too far and done too much and I feel like I’m still pressing on and I haven’t even done my best yet.”

Campbell will get a chance to find a job as a starter, or at least to compete for a starting job, come March.  And if Palmer gets injured at some point and Campbell’s injury heals, he could still end up playing for the Raiders again, even if only until the end of the season.

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
71 Responses to “Jason Campbell says he’s not ready to be a backup”
  1. joetoronto says: Oct 26, 2011 6:40 PM

I’ve never been a fan of Campbell’s but he IS better than some starters out there.

2. geniusesq says: Oct 26, 2011 6:41 PM

Tough break Jason. Literally. #lifeisrough

3. deepseabreeze says: Oct 26, 2011 6:42 PM

He WILL start for somebody next year. It may not be for the Raiders, but he has proven to be a competent game manager. He won’t win you many games, but he won’t lose you many either. Feel bad for how everything went down for him this year. He was on his way to a contract extension and instead he found himself without a starting job.

4. devinmr711 says: Oct 26, 2011 6:45 PM

Man release Campbell and let him resign with my Redskins. I’ll take a broken collarbone Campbell over Beck any day.

5. denverhighrize says: Oct 26, 2011 6:47 PM

There will be a job for him, the UFL is coming back next year with a vengeance. Of course now will see it though.

6. 808raiderinparadise says: Oct 26, 2011 6:47 PM

He could start for maybe …..

WAS
    MIA
    MINN
    TENN
    SF
    SEA
    CLE
    OAK
    DEN
    JAX
    STL

about 12 teams almost, he will have a starting job next year.

7. raiderlyfe510 says: Oct 26, 2011 6:47 PM

This is still your team Jason…stay and fight for your spot. Only the strong can hold the weight of that Silver @ Black shield..Carson Palmer has to prove he’s strong enough to be a Raider.

8. buckybadger says: Oct 26, 2011 6:47 PM

It is nice in Denver. You would do well here.

9. touchdownroddywhite says: Oct 26, 2011 6:48 PM

He needs to be ready, because he is one…

10. vikingsinla says: Oct 26, 2011 6:50 PM

He’s better than T-Joke, NFL Jesus, and anyone the Fins start the rest of the year (but they’ll probably take Luck). Other than that, yeah, he’s an NFL backup.

11. adlent says: Oct 26, 2011 6:51 PM

As a Skins fan I was a little disappointed we never gave this guy at least a year in Shanahan’s system instead of wasting picks on McNabb. He had the tools to do a lot of what Shanny likes, just never really had talent around him or the right coach long term.

12. seahawks4alltime says: Oct 26, 2011 6:52 PM

Well, to be honest, I’d love to see him trying out for my Seahawks. (even with a broken collarbone)

13. waitingguilty says: Oct 26, 2011 6:52 PM

I’m not ready to pay my rent next month…you think that makes any difference to the landlord?

With all the QBS drafted last year and all the ones that will be drafted in 2012. JC will be a backup. He’ll be a high end back up, but a backup nonetheless.

14. bucks12965 says: Oct 26, 2011 6:55 PM

15. wakexxl says: Oct 26, 2011 6:56 PM

Not the biggest fan of Cambell but he does deserve to be a starter somewhere, would rather watch him than most QB’s out there. Too bad for him, he had good run support with McFadden and was starting to create a solid offense.

16. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Oct 26, 2011 6:57 PM

He is right. He’s not a backup, yet. He’s had a different off cord almost every year of his life, college and pros. He’s better than at least the bottom 25% of starters…period.

17. qdog112 says: Oct 26, 2011 6:58 PM

You’re absolutely right Jason. I’d play you before half of the NFL imposters. Before all is said and done – the Raiders may “want you on that wall!”

18. semperfi24 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:00 PM

Did Jason Campbell just announce his retirement?

19. r8erswilldebacleyou says: Oct 26, 2011 7:05 PM

“I look around the league and I play at a higher level than most guys.”

In Campbell’s mind MOST GUYS =
    J. Beck
    T. Jackson
    M. Moore
    C. McCoy
    B. Gabbert
    T. Tebow
    C. Palmer

20. tdk24 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:07 PM

“bucks12965 says:
    Oct 26, 2011 6:55 PM
    The Raiders will eventually have to realize that Palmer is still really bad. They may end up needing to keep Campbell. They certainly won’t be able to draft a QB.”

What round did Tom Brady get drafted again?

21. humb0lt says: Oct 26, 2011 7:14 PM

Campbell will be back in Oakland as the Raiders’ starter next season, maybe as early as late this season.

Take your “pick,” Carson Boller and Kyle Palmer are disasters. And with no draft picks, Hue Jackson, the mouth that roared, will have to overpay Campbell to bring him back.

But that’s the Raider way.

22. raiderfan509 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:14 PM

Campbell is a great person, saw him on the sidelines this past Sunday supporting his team. That says alot. Palmer or Campbell may the best QB stay.

23. 2sloweggroll says: Oct 26, 2011 7:15 PM

I am a Raider fan and flat out Jason got the do-do end of the stick here. He was playing really well and doing a great job with this team. He got hurt laying it on the line and the Raiders just tossed him aside. Palmer is here and I am happy to have him, but I just feel really bad for Jason.

I understand why the move was done. After a decade of losing this team is ready to make a run at the West and that was not going to happen with Boller.

Good luck Jason, I bet the Redskins fans would love to have you back. I hope he wins for years to come, just not in the AFC West.

24. ern215 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:16 PM

as a raiders fan, I say keep Jason on the team and let them compete for the starting job, I feel that Jason is just a better fit for our personnel, Carson palmer should be the high quality backup, I just wish we didn’t give up so much to get him.

25. suckleague says: Oct 26, 2011 7:18 PM

“Jason Campbell says he’s not ready to be a backup”
    He said it, not me. Maybe with a few more reps.

26. raiderlyfe510 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:18 PM

We were set with Jason Campbell and Gradkowski. Gradkowski could have held it down until JC came back. But for some odd reason they choose Boller to be the backup…let Bruce Almighty walk in free agency..that move cost us a 1st and 2nd round pick that could turn into a 1st rounder.

Gradkowski and JC are true Raiders.Cant take that from them.

27. purplekoolaid1 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:26 PM

Jason is better than Jamarcus.

28. ownbay says: Oct 26, 2011 7:30 PM

Break your collar bone and find out you lost your job while watching TV. Now thats a bad week.

29. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 26, 2011 7:31 PM

808raiderinparadise says: He could start for maybe …..

WAS
    MIA
    MINN
    TENN
    SF
    SEA
    CLE
    OAK
    DEN
    JAX
    STL

WAS — Possibly, but there’s no way the organization brings him back after shipping him off to what was then Football Siberia. It’s a no-win situation for the Redskins.

MIA — Kind of depends on who (when) the Dolphins draft, doesn’t it?

MINN — Not after last Sunday. Unless Ponder takes a dramatic step backward, it’s his team going forward.

TENN — The master plan is already in place for Hasselbeck to hand off to the Locker kid. Hasselbeck probably has a good year or two left at starting level, and he’s not one of the guys that Jason Campbell is better than.

SF — Possibly, unless Alex Smith actually benefits from having the same HC/OC two seasons in a row.

SEA — Yes, absolutely. Better than either option the Seahawks have.

CLE — He might be better than McCoy, but I’m not sure any QB can thrive in that system. Still, I’d agree with your “maybe” on this one.

OAK — ???

DEN — Probably a better QB right now than Tebow, but there’s no way Elway brings in a band-aid fix. Either Tewbow makes it, in which case there’s no room for Campbell, or he doesn’t, in which case Elway will draft somebody he thinks (hopes) will start right away.

JAX — Jacksonville will give their first-round pick another season to start, unless he implodes horribly, or ownership decides to clean house on the front office and the coaching staff. This is not a team that’s the fabled “one piece away” from winning.

STL — Sam Bradford is making how much? The Rams have too much invested to bench him for Jason Campbell.

I see three possibilities on your list up there

30. 1buckeye76 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:35 PM

Carson keeps throwing pick sixes and 3 INT per game, he’ll be right back in.

31. commandercornpone says: Oct 26, 2011 7:43 PM

WAS, MIA, MINN, TENN, SF, SEA, CLE, OAK, DEN, JAX, STL?

no. get real. even if not hurt right now, he wont start in minnehaha, tenn, sf, cleveland, oakland, and likely st. loo. probly not denver either. even the teams with young guys want to see what they have. maybe he would be an improvement on the jests. or, certainly, indy.

most league insiders realize that campbell qb’d wash to a 6-2 start once, and never that good anytime else ever. and he finished that season 8-8. man he’s good… not. he didnt impress before, and now he is damaged goods.

also, todd collins took over a 5-7 skins team and got them to the playoffs. 4 straight wins. jc couldnt have done that.

after a while the “different oc each year” stuff isnt a good excuse anymore. he should know many different approaches to football now, and all the possible plays.

the raiders beat the living crud out of a few teams last year, and campbell benefited just cause he was there to handoff the ball during the melee.

32. slickster35 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:44 PM

The fade would be smart to keep him. At this point in time, he’s better than Palmer will ever be again.

In that case, they’ll trade him for sure. Smart and the fade seldom meet. And all it cost was a #1 and a #2 for a rental QB.

33. danphxariz says: Oct 26, 2011 7:45 PM

Look I know Carson Palmer only had a few days practice time, but he SUCKED. He had zero arm strength, his reaction time was way too slow, he pretty much looked completely lost. Unless that changes in a major way (and I don’t know how someone with no arm strength can suddenly acquire it), there’s a darned good chance that Palmer will retire again after this season and Campbell will be back as the Raiders starter – unless he holds a grudge.

34. seahawks4alltime says: Oct 26, 2011 7:45 PM

Agree with NoHomeTeam. Seattle makes the most sense for Campbell. Seattle would really be a good fit for JC in my opinion.

35. donterrelli says: Oct 26, 2011 7:52 PM

I watched JC bust his butt in WAS while he was here and he did a great job despite learning a new offense each year he was here. He did great job his last year, before Shanahan decided McNabb was an upgrade and let JC go. I was pretty disappointed. JC is a genuinely great guy and a skilled QB. I only hope the best for him, since I would agree that he’s better then a lot of other starting QBs in the league, i.e. T. Jackson, C. Whitehurst, T. Tebow, M. Cassell, A. Smith, K. Kolb, J. Beck, R. Grossman, J. Flacco, M. Shanchez, etc, WOW

36. blacksunday1 says: Oct 26, 2011 7:53 PM

Palmer and Campbell will be a great one two punch if we can keep them both. Remember Montana and Young? Palmer at best may have 3 years but JC should have 5 years if he’s healthy.

37. 2sloweggroll says: Oct 26, 2011 7:57 PM

raiderlyfe510 says:
    Oct 26, 2011 7:18 PM
    ***********************************

You are right about Grads, but you know why he was not resigned. 1/2 the fan base would be screaming for Grads and the other 1/2 would be yelling for Campbell. With a first year HC in place that could lead to disaster.

But boy I wish Grads was here last week.

38. stinkinfish says: Oct 26, 2011 8:01 PM

The teams that need a starting QB for next year:

MIA
    WAS
    SEA

If Miami ends up with Luck, you can cross them off this list; he will start right away. Campbell has 2 starting options left, WAS and SEA and he won’t be going back to DC. He has the best chance to start in Seattle or a Luck-less Miami.

The best backup jobs in my opinion for him would be:

PHI
    DEN
    SF

or he could just wait until a starter goes down in training camp.

39. drevilstolemymojito says: Oct 26, 2011 8:14 PM

The football gods have spoken. They are ready for him to be a backup.

40. tooz72 says: Oct 26, 2011 8:16 PM

he’s a solid QB for the offense Hue runs and he is one of the classiest guys in sports..tough break for him

41. dumbolt says: Oct 26, 2011 8:17 PM

I wish my team was like the raiders, rings, trophies, hall of famers, aura, mystique, great players, great fans, and a nation….hey but we got Norv. Go Chargers

42. goawayeverybody says: Oct 26, 2011 8:21 PM

After the atrocity I witnessed in Oakland this past weekend, I hope Jason Campbell gets healthy as quickly as humanly possible!

43. radrntn says: Oct 26, 2011 8:24 PM

I think Jason can start. I just question his abilty to slide. Fore the most part he plays consertive and lives for another down on most plays, but every once in awhile he makes a boneheaded play. Over all he did look a lot better this year then he did a year ago. I wish the guy the best. I know if he can’t find another job, he would be a great #2 for any team. Go Raiders.

44. radrntn says: Oct 26, 2011 8:31 PM

danphxariz says:
    Oct 26, 2011 7:45 PM
    ________________________________

i saved this so i can post later and show how stupid you are. feel free to save mine, and post mine later……gotta agree the pass that he drilled and bounced off of jacoby ford numbers had no zing…..lmao

45. hopendawg42 says: Oct 26, 2011 8:31 PM

I wonder if Dan Snyder and the Washington Redskins can use you Jason. Rex Grossman and John Beck anyone? anyone??

46. tedmurph says: Oct 26, 2011 9:27 PM

Campbell will not start in the NFL unless someone gets hurt. On all your lists of 8-9 teams, cross off the following:

Wash(Shanahan can’t take him back)
    Oak(Raiders can’t take him back after what they
    gave up, stuck w/Palmer)
    St Louis/Jax/Minn/Tenn/SF (high 2nd) all
    invested 1rst rnders and paid them the last
    couple yrs.

That leaves about 4 teams that will all draft high. There are 4 QBs projected to go in the top 12 next year.

47. laeaglefan says: Oct 26, 2011 9:34 PM

By next season, the Redskins will welcome Campbell back with open arms, given the alternatives of Rex Grossman and John Beck. You know the old saying….”You don’t know what you’ve got till its gone”.

48. raiderapologist says: Oct 26, 2011 9:41 PM

Good guy. Flawed quarterback. His deep passes tend to drift, and he checks down when he should not. You can’t fix that when your collar bone is broken.

49. evomike06 says: Oct 26, 2011 9:49 PM

I feel bad for him he is a class act and is improving. Hopefully he gets another shot at starting because he deserves it, and as a redskins fan I can say I wish we had him instead of beck and grossman.

50. bloggingpoodlewalker says: Oct 26, 2011 9:53 PM

I go to all games, seen Jason up close…he is lucky to get a backup job….hes simply not good, hes slow, slow footed, slow witted, he was the weak link in that offense,..Palmer will struggle this year, this year only, Palmer will be a franchise QB for Oakland for the next five years at least…period.

51. buzzbissinger says: Oct 26, 2011 9:54 PM

After watching him improve from last year, I have to admit he’s pretty good, no telling how good he can be, but his best bet is to stay in the same system. Hopfully it all works out for all of us. (i.e. The Raiders keep him)

52. dgstan says: Oct 26, 2011 10:23 PM

If nothing else, this whole situation should teach him how important it is for a team to have a competent backup QB. Don’t act like you’re insulted.

Being second-string is nothing to be ashamed of and you never know when you’ll be thrust into the spotlight.

53. war27 says: Oct 26, 2011 11:01 PM

Not sure how many of you people thinking all the Raiders needed was Gradkowski actually saw him play last year. he looked like Boller without the talent.

Heart, throwing wounded ducks with a candy arm and being too short is far too much to over come for all but the elite small QB’s. Grad’s is a great competitor but he’s not a NFL 2nd string QB.

54. dryzzt23 says: Oct 26, 2011 11:08 PM

I’ve never been impressed with Campbell, he reeks of David Garrard. Purely a game manager, no outstanding attirbutes at all.

55. ron69 says: Oct 26, 2011 11:46 PM

Let’s see slow release + poor pocket awareness= injury waiting to happen. Thanks but no thanks

56. tatum064 says: Oct 26, 2011 11:51 PM

danphxariz says:
    Oct 26, 2011 7:45 PM
    ________________________________
    ===============
    He completed windows in tight windows to DHB and made throws Campbell could only dream about. He could start for any of some 27 franchises tomorrow. He is an average to an elite QB who has not won in the Playoffs, but has made Pro Bowls and is only 31. If Gannon was resurrected in Oakland … why not Palmer?

“darned good chance Palmer will retire again?”

wtf are you talking about?

57. tatum064 says: Oct 26, 2011 11:54 PM

“humb0lt says:
    Oct 26, 2011 7:14 PM

But that’s the Raider way.”

I know, that Charger sweep last year would make me bitter, too. if 2005-2006 Palmer is back with McFadden, the AFC West is ours for another 5 years at least.

58. rexismybff says: Oct 27, 2011 12:32 AM

Don’t worry Jason. After Palmer throws a couple dozen interceptions and ends the year on IR, the Raiders will be thinking about you again for next year.

59. moreheadslim says: Oct 27, 2011 1:06 AM

He has a higher opinion of his talent then he should. He hasnt really done that much and looking around the league wouldnt beat out that many guys for their starting job. clearly the raiders think Palmer is better because they jumped on the chance to get him and gave up alot to do so. Campbell needs to focus on rehab and not where he will be on the depth chart when he gets healthy again. but he wont start for the Raiders as long as Carson is healthy

60. raideralex99 says: Oct 27, 2011 1:29 AM

I get I kick out of all these coaches on here saying Campbell is a starting … really? The last time I checked none of you had a head coaching job in the NFL.
    If NFL coaches think that Campbell is a great QB don’t you think they would be busting down the door to sign him … unfortunately he is just an average QB who can only start for an average or bottom team.
    Make all the excuses you want for Jason … new coach every year … new system … crappy team … bad OL … after 6 years in the league either you half it or you don’t and I’m sorry but Campbell does not have the IT factor … he’s a backup QB on a good team or a starter on a crappy team.

61. maddogwhite says: Oct 27, 2011 1:48 AM

You can cross Seattle off that list. Carroll is going to take Matt Barkley next year with the first pick. You don’t lose Hasselbeck and start the T-Jack/Whitehurst tandem unless you’re tanking to get one of the top QBs in the following year’s draft.

I honestly don’t see anyone picking up Campbell to definitely be their starting QB. And the diff’t off coordinator excuse has worn thin. Also, some people in Oakland have a short memory: it wasn’t that long ago that he was benched in favor of Gradkowski.

I do see him, however, getting a chance to compete next year at some point for a starting QB job. There aren’t 32 stable QB positions in the league and there never will be.

62. nemyx1 says: Oct 27, 2011 1:51 AM

Seattle could definitely use him (like the previous poster said they could use him right now even if he’s injured) and if MIA wants Luck to wait 6 weeks before playing they could probably use him. After that? Dunno… maybe Denver uses him to challenge Orton after the Tebow experiment fails (while developing whoever they draft in the 1st rd of 2012)… I could see him backing up Matt Stafford in DET (where’s there’s a good chance he’ll be starting eventually given Stafford’s injury history) or backing up Cutler in Chicago (eventually Cutler’s going to get creamed there and he’ll have a chance to start). Any other takers?

63. marcsasharc says: Oct 27, 2011 2:10 AM

The Raiders already played their card. Campbell will not be back. hes a Free Agent and someone will pay him. the Raiders are stuck with Palmer for better or for worse, they put all their eggs in 1 basket.

64. marcsasharc says: Oct 27, 2011 2:14 AM

and theres no way the 9ers would prefer Campbell to Smith…lets be real now.

65. torturedraiderfan says: Oct 27, 2011 7:08 AM

Just a few weeks ago everyone was saying the Raiders couldn’t win with Campbell at QB. Why is he now rated so high on everyone’s list. I think he’s OK, but he isn’t a franchise QB. He has looked good this year because he just hands the ball to McFadden or Bush. I think he should get a chance to start somewhere, but he’s a bit misguided saying he’s better than most.

66. pskotte says: Oct 27, 2011 7:49 AM

JC realizes he just got Pipped. Should have taken it like a man. All this does is divide the locker room – great job.

67. 1bigtex says: Oct 27, 2011 8:29 AM

@ blacksunday1

“Remember Montana and Young”
    What? Campbell and Palmer are equal to two Hall of Fame QBs? In the 12 full seasons that Campbell and Palmer have played, they have a combined 3 winning seasons. Is there anyone with an IQ exceeding the average cabbage who believes that translates to Montana and Young?

Here’s a small piece of advice for you blacksunday1; It’s puff, puff, pass. Not puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, puff……..hey man, where did all my weed go?

68. marcsasharc says: Oct 27, 2011 11:53 AM

as much as i dont care for Campbell, he has been a top 10 qb this year statistically. read football outsiders.

69. dolphandan says: Oct 27, 2011 4:17 PM

I would rather draft Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley or Landry Jones. Campbell is good, but any one of the 3 mentioned above could be great.

70. souldogdave says: Oct 28, 2011 8:17 AM

Campbell ,well ,I would hope we could keep him.But I can see the SeaChickens making the Raiders an attractive offer.

71. philyeagles5 says: Oct 29, 2011 2:49 PM

“Take your “pick,” Carson Boller and Kyle Palmer are disasters.”

what that a serious statement????