Peyton Hillis vows not to be a distraction

Peyton Hillis AP

Last year, Browns running back Peyton Hillis was one of the best stories in the NFL, bursting onto the scene with 1,654 scrimmage yards and 13 touchdowns. This year, Hillis has been one of the worst stories in the NFL, both because his production has declined and because most of the stories about Hillis have focused on his injuries and his contract, and not his play.

But Hillis says that’s all over with, and for the rest of the season he’s putting all his focus on the field.

I’d really like to not talk about a contract the rest of the year,” Hillis told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I think there’s no sense in it. It’s in the past. I gotta play. That’s the bottom line. You just take this approach and move forward. I’m not going to be a distraction. I’m gonna help this team win as much as I possibly can and do what I can.”

Hillis, who has missed one game with an illness and another with a hamstring injury, is on pace to finish this season with just 563 rushing yards, 203 receiving yards and five touchdowns. But he’s expecting to return on Sunday.

“The Lord works in mysterious ways, puts you through humbling experiences,” Hillis said. “You work your way through them. That’s what being a man is. There’s a lot of time [in this season]. It’s all about me getting healthy and going out there and producing. I put that on myself.”

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Peyton Hillis vows not to be a distraction”
  1. jdandcoke says: Oct 27, 2011 7:53 AM

when are players going to wisen up and just refuse to be on the madden cover?

2. dblockdedicated says: Oct 27, 2011 8:01 AM

YOU BETTER PRODUCE.

drafted you in the 1st round at pick 7 and you got me 1.40 points two weeks ago? and then you get me 3 points the week before??

WTF???

I should just pickup Robert Freaking Smith from the Vikings who retired about 15 years ago because he will get as much production as you do – none.

3. iflounder says: Oct 27, 2011 8:07 AM

when you’re that handsome, you’re always a distraction with your sexy behind.

4. dgforreal says: Oct 27, 2011 8:08 AM

This could mean trouble for the Niners this weekend. Hopefully not, but dude is due a monster game soon.

5. bealeman says: Oct 27, 2011 8:24 AM

I know. He was one of my keepers this season and cost me a 2nd rounder (which turned out to be 19 overall). Kinda sucks. Good thing I also kept Shady McCoy and drafted Fred Jackson in the 6th round!

6. richm2256 says: Oct 27, 2011 8:24 AM

Remember the “good old days” when people talked about running backs out-performing their contracts?

7. bealeman says: Oct 27, 2011 8:26 AM

Rodgers/Stafford
    McCoy/Jackson/Hillis/McGahee
    RoddyWhite/SteveSmith(CAR)/ReggieWayne
    Crosby
    NYGiants

8. blattman77 says: Oct 27, 2011 8:33 AM

You are the bum who drafted him in the first round!! I got him round 3. He’s still a disappointment but more lea way that 1st round!

9. tfbuckfutter says: Oct 27, 2011 8:38 AM

He’s worries about hia contract because even he knows he’s a 3.5 ypc runner at best and last year was a fluke.

And if you drafted or protected him in fantasy football its really not his fault you’re dumb.

10. shawon0meter says: Oct 27, 2011 8:41 AM

11. okiny says: Oct 27, 2011 8:43 AM

dblockdedicated says: Oct 27, 2011 8:01 AM

—————————————————-

If that’s who you drafted with the 7th overall pick, I’m guessing Peyton Hillis isn’t the only disappointment on your fantasy team.

12. waltdawg says: Oct 27, 2011 9:06 AM

Still one of the last magical mysteries of the universe, THE MADDEN CURSE.

13. deviantfate says: Oct 27, 2011 9:14 AM

He doesnt want to be a distraction huh?

TOO LATE!!!

14. corvusrex96 says: Oct 27, 2011 9:21 AM

So will HGH testing be in place before or after his new contact?

15. dariusmyles says: Oct 27, 2011 9:37 AM

the maddened curse is non existent its the fact that u get on madden for great play but great play also makes teams take heed and figure out how to stop you. madden was gonna be either hillis or vick. vick is having a madden curse type season and he didn’t even make the cover. hillis was overrated anyways.

16. ihatethejets23 says: Oct 27, 2011 9:47 AM

“He’s just another back who had short-term success and will probably get overpaid for it somewhere. There’s honestly about 5 RB’s in the league that would be hard to replace and Hillis is not one of them.”

Well said. Another selfish, me-first RB.

17. robwill518 says: Oct 27, 2011 10:06 AM

THE MADDEN CURSE has been particularly effective this year. Peyton Manning, Peyton Hillis, Sean Payton……its like the curse became the Terminator, looking through the NFL phone book for all things Peyton/Payton.

18. riverhorsey says: Oct 27, 2011 10:43 AM

This issue should of been addressed before the season started and it never would of been a problem.

Holmgren should of addressed this contract issue w Hillis day one. And Hillis has a lousy agent who gave him lousy advice. You’re just not going to give a 2nd year kid bookoo bucks because he had a great first year.

Now he’s been a distraction and unproductive and won’t get nearly what he would have if he had just played the season without the hysterics.

19. vbsuitedace says: Oct 27, 2011 10:54 AM

@dbblockdedicated

If you drafted Hillis in the first round this year you are a pretty terrible fantasy owner in the first place. Not sure anything can help you at this point.

20. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Oct 27, 2011 11:08 AM

“The lord works in mysterious ways.”

So does the Madden curse

21. jgo304 says: Oct 27, 2011 11:15 AM

My draft of monario hardesty in round 14 was the best selection of all. Especially as i hollared out the madden curse.

22. wallacejay says: Oct 27, 2011 11:21 AM

Had he shut his piehole about the whole strep-gate thing, he probably would have been given a pass. But nooooooo, he let his agent get in his ear, then he started running his trap, the excuse machine got going and now everyone thinks he’s a bit of a turd.

23. mydailyff.com says: Oct 27, 2011 11:46 AM

dblockdedicated says:
    Oct 27, 2011 8:01 AM
    YOU BETTER PRODUCE.

___________________________________

Why on earth did you pick him at # 7 when you could have had him in the second or third round??? Are you a Browns season ticket holder?? That’s ridiculous. Next year pick up at least one fantasy magazine. I’d recommend two.

24. hboilers24 says: Oct 27, 2011 1:10 PM

Hillis seems to be a good kid that just got some bad advice. when he is on he is fun to watch. just go back and watch the saints and pats games against the browns last year and you can see what he can do.

hopefully he is really ready to refocus on football and doing his job. would like to see him get re-signed, hopefully with a decent raise and an insentive based contract.

25. bebopa says: Oct 27, 2011 9:26 PM

mostly likely a one hit wonder, but like everyone else he simply wants out of Cleveland

26. paulbrownsrevenge says: Oct 28, 2011 10:44 AM

From what I’ve heard he doesn’t want out of Cleveland. The Browns drafted Marecic to pave the way for him. I think this is a case of a good guy getting bad advice from a turd agent.

I think Browns fans would turn on Holmgren before they turned on Hillis. Hillis showed promise last year, Holmgren fired a coach that knew how to use Hillis. Shurmur is not the right fit. The AFC North is smashmouth football, not dink and dunk.

27. ctownshowweride says: Oct 28, 2011 11:48 AM

I love how people post on here about their fantasy team like anyone actually cares.