Philip Rivers promises that he’s healthy

San Diego Chargers' Rivers presents penalty flags he gathered up from the field to the referees in Denver Reuters

Philip Rivers has played so consistently well for so long that no one can believe how much he’s struggling this year.

Rivers has thrown seven scores to nine interceptions this year. His numbers are down across the board and the Chargers are 15th in points scored.

That has led to widespread speculation — inside San Diego and outside — that Rivers has been playing hurt.  There has been no particular sign of the injury after games, but some folks think his throwing motion has changed.

Rivers told San Diego reporters Wednesday that he’s “healthier than ever.”  He threw in an “I promise” to add credibility.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune points out that Rivers is one of the most forthright guys in sports, although the one time he was known to lie was when he denied having a torn ACL before the 2007 AFC Championship.

“Of course I [lied],” Rivers said back then.

I watched Chargers-Jets this week again on NFL Game Rewind and looked for the lack of arm strength others were talking about. I didn’t see it. He had great velocity on plenty of passes and pushed the ball down the field.

The bigger problem was accuracy. Rivers was just a little off on a lot of throws, which has been the case all year.  His receivers have been banged up and don’t get a ton of separation. Acee has noticed a certain edginess to Rivers throughout the year, but the Chargers quarterback insists he’s not hurt.

“I guess I’m just tired of defending a 4-2 team,” Rivers said.

UPDATE: Florio discussed the issue on PFT Live.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Philip Rivers promises that he’s healthy”
  1. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Oct 27, 2011 8:53 AM

Can’t wait until the Packers play them. Should be a good game

2. sj39 says: Oct 27, 2011 9:01 AM

He’s just not that good. What has he won?

3. wawa33 says: Oct 27, 2011 9:06 AM

Phillip Rivers has NorvTurneritis.

4. ltshouldstillbeinsd says: Oct 27, 2011 9:09 AM

@sj39
    You’re a moron for even making that statement. It warrants no further response. As far as rivers, he’s healthy, he just started eating acid on game days and can’t decipher the chargers jerseys from their opponents….

5. 7pints says: Oct 27, 2011 9:09 AM

Yeah people! Just ’cause he throws like a girl doesn’t mean he’s not healthy.

6. jobotjones says: Oct 27, 2011 9:14 AM

_______________
    Yeah you can tell this is true from all his lengthy playoff runs and super bowl appearances. He is a good qb but he is NOT a winner. Plain and simple.

7. nolahxc says: Oct 27, 2011 9:15 AM

I will always be thankful to San Diego for giving us Drew Brees and now Darren Sproles!

Thanks guys!

8. dcfan4life says: Oct 27, 2011 9:17 AM

Antonio Gates, hurt.

Malcolm Floyd, hurt.

Vincent Jackson, hurt.

When your top 3 passing options are hurt, makes it difficult to have the timing and rhythm needed to have the perfect touch passes we are used to seeing Rivers throw. Dont overthink this, Rivers and that offense will be fine.

And dont forget, the Chargers ALWAYS start slow and yet there starting slow this year at 4-2!!! Cmon, give them a break…

9. normswifevera says: Oct 27, 2011 9:18 AM

“I guess I’m just tired of defending a 4-2 team,” River said.”

Yeah, how dare anyone question a QB who has led his team to wins against a murderer’s row like Miami, Denver, Minnesota, and KC before they got on track.

And none of those wins were even impressive.

10. raiderlyfe510 says: Oct 27, 2011 9:20 AM

Let’s see if he can promise that after November 10th. Raiders Vs Chargers …”The Mother of all Massacres”

11. bloggingpoodlewalker says: Oct 27, 2011 9:26 AM

Its not Phils fault, hes on the Chargers, they will never win a superbowl,..never…ever. Ya heard me?

12. joetoronto says: Oct 27, 2011 9:31 AM

“I’m healthy, I’m just stinking the joint out.”

13. richm2256 says: Oct 27, 2011 9:33 AM

You lost to the 3-3 Jets…… the JETS, for God’s sakes.

14. broncobillie says: Oct 27, 2011 9:36 AM

He’s not hurt, his main target, #85 (the other #85) is hurt. And, without Antonio Gates, Rivers is not that much better than average…

15. sguy2130 says: Oct 27, 2011 9:40 AM

Rivers needs to realize how many people he is screwing over. I can’t compete when I’m facing Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees. He obviously does not care about Fantasy Football, he needs to get his priorities in order.

16. lacharger2112 says: Oct 27, 2011 9:41 AM

So Rivers is healthy and has no excuse for playing like crap. Thanks for the update. I’d would have rather heard that he was hurt and will be fine after the bye. Then there is at least some reason for the poor play and a reason for hope that he will get better.
    Just because you are 4-2 doesn’t mean everything is fine Phillip.

17. bcozthenight says: Oct 27, 2011 9:43 AM

Question: what does Norv Turner have in common with me?

Answer: neither one of us is qualified to coach an NFL team.

18. rpiotr01 says: Oct 27, 2011 9:46 AM

In years past he has great stats but they don’t win. Has to answer questions about that.

This year his stats aren’t great but they’re winning. Has to answer questions about THAT.

What do you want from the guy?

19. tacoslinger619 says: Oct 27, 2011 9:54 AM

Even though he runs like “Woody” from “TOY STORY” ……..He always finds a way to be a beast in Nov and Dec……The BOLTS will win the West………..

20. pacificnw7722 says: Oct 27, 2011 10:01 AM

He needs to get that Rivers to V. Jackson connection going full speed again…….

21. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Oct 27, 2011 10:07 AM

eli-1 rivers-0

22. mox19380 says: Oct 27, 2011 10:13 AM

I’ve thought since the beginning of the season that the biggest issue facing Rivers is the lack of Antonio Gates. He can make any receiver worthwhile while Gates is on the field (evidenced last year while V-Jax held out) but w/o Gates the middle of the field is wide open for defenders and the receivers aren’t in 1on1 coverage as much

23. peytonwantsaflag says: Oct 27, 2011 10:17 AM

it’s not a physical thing – it’s a head thing, just look at that 2 minute drill – awful. He was better than that in high school.

24. maryannwiththeshakyhands says: Oct 27, 2011 10:29 AM

Just read the Hillis article and how he has killed many fantasy drafts. Well this San Diego gunslinger has just destroyed my team (2 and 5 on the year). Oh well thats the beauty of fantasy football, you live and die with who your gut tells you to pick on draft day.

25. minkytails says: Oct 27, 2011 10:30 AM

You need to look more closely at his stats. The notion that he has performed “so well for so long” is a mirage. He does not perform well under pressure. As a poster before me pointed out, he’s just not that good. I never bought into the idea that he was ever a top tier QB in the same sentence with Manning or Brady, or even Brees.

Just look at the stats. He also benefits from playing in the weak AFC West.

26. johnnycamparm says: Oct 27, 2011 10:34 AM

ben-2 eli-1 rivers-0

27. qdizzle says: Oct 27, 2011 10:41 AM

Rivers has been the turnover Queen. If he eliminates the turnovers they would be 6-0

28. guypatsfan says: Oct 27, 2011 10:52 AM

The way he ran the 2-minute offense against the Jets last Sunday convinced me (as if I needed convincing) that Philip Rivers is definitely a second-tier QB, along with Eli Manning, Mark Sanchez, Jay Cutler, Jason Campbell, and the like. He’s not in the top echelon of QBs, the Brady/Rodgers/Manning/Brees/Rothlesburger group.

29. jbaxt says: Oct 27, 2011 10:56 AM

Did I see a faider troll comment about a massacre on November 10th? This after a 28-0 beat down by the Chiefs?

Faider fans are so cute, they try to hide behind their supposed toughness in that black pit of a stadium only for reality to come out and bite them in the ass once the week’s over.

30. dcfan4life says: Oct 27, 2011 11:09 AM

“Of course the first year I decide to draft Rivers in my fantasy league he regresses.”

I actually did the same thing, and even drafted Vincent Jackson for the combo. But I am obviously smarter than you. I sensed his issues would continue so 2 weeks ago i traded them both for Maurice Jones Drew, Deshean Jackson AND Eli Manning. The steal of my fantasy season so far.

31. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Oct 27, 2011 11:35 AM

johnnycamparm says:Oct 27, 2011 10:34 AM

ben-2 eli-1 rivers-0

touche’

32. sguy2130 says: Oct 27, 2011 11:48 AM

dcfan4life says:
    Oct 27, 2011 11:09 AM

————————————————
    “Smarter” and finding someone dumb to trade with are two different things. I have Fitzpatrick as my backup so I will probably end up playing him more often now.

33. zn0rseman says: Oct 27, 2011 11:52 AM

Out of my last 5 posts, 1 has actually still been there when I checked back later. Can I ever be critical of the East Coast Bias?

34. phinfan says: Oct 27, 2011 12:09 PM

He’s killing my team with his INT’s

35. usmutts says: Oct 27, 2011 12:25 PM

You people who keep saying Rivers is not very good are obviously just plain wrong. If he weren’t truly great, a potential hall of famer, the Chargers never would have let go of a middling guy like this Brees person. Boy, you people sure are dumb.

36. wrossi81 says: Oct 27, 2011 12:47 PM

What’s unusual is the Chargers having a winning record in October. This is the first time since 2006 (when they went 14-2) that they’ve been 4-2 after 6 games. And they’ve won their division pretty consistently in that period, except for a stumble last year. If they heat up in November/December as usual, they can really be a factor down the stretch.

37. richarger says: Oct 27, 2011 1:06 PM

You mean: Steeler’s D – 2, David Tyree – 1, Chargers Organization – 0.

tinkletinkleonyourstar says:Oct 27, 2011 11:35 AM

johnnycamparm says:Oct 27, 2011 10:34 AM

ben-2 eli-1 rivers-0

touche’

38. gooboy6 says: Oct 27, 2011 1:57 PM

and now he gets to go into Arrowhead to face the hot Chiefs on a Monday night. I wonder how AJ will spin this loss…

39. richm2256 says: Oct 27, 2011 10:27 PM

usmutts says:
    ——————————————————–
    So you’re saying that Rivers is better than Brees?

40. jjackwagon says: Oct 27, 2011 11:10 PM

4-2 yes, and how many of those wins are against teams with a winning record? That’s right…zero. That’s why you have to defend this team Cry baby Phillip. With your remaining schedule you will be lucky to finish 9-7. Even at 9-7 you may win the AFC West but don’t slip or you will finish 3rd in the division again this year.

41. jjackwagon says: Oct 27, 2011 11:13 PM

Sorry Charger fan, you finished second in the Division last year. It just felt like a 3rd place finish after you got swept by the Raiders