Bills, Ryan Fitzpatrick agree to new contract

Getty Images

Ryan Fitzpatrick is set to be the franchise quarterback in Buffalo for years to come.

The Bills and Fitzpatrick have agreed to a new long-term contract extension.

Chris Mortensen reports that it’s a six-year deal worth $59 million, with $24 million guaranteed and $33 million in the first three yrs. That’s right in line with what we’ve been hearing for several weeks, that Fitzpatrick was getting close to a deal that would put him solidly within the “second-tier” quarterback club, at around $10 million a year, though not in the “first-tier,” where Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are averaging $18 million a year.

The 28-year-old Fitzpatrick is in his third year with the Bills and became their regular starter last season. This year he has 1,477 passing yards, 12 touchdowns, six interceptions and a completion rate of 66.3 percent, and he’s the biggest reason the Bills are surprising contenders to win the AFC East.

63 responses to “Bills, Ryan Fitzpatrick agree to new contract

1. Fitzpatrick has played well, but Fred Jackson is the biggest reason they are contenders in the AFC East.

2. “… he’s the biggest reason the Bills are surprising contenders to win the AFC East.”

Yeah, alongside FredEx, Stevie J, and a ball-hawking (but porous) D.

3. Pretty sure that Tom Brady isn’t even in the first tier with pay. Peyton doesn’t even have to play to make that kind of money.

4. quizguy66 says:
    Oct 28, 2011 1:46 PM
    The advantages of an Ivy League education…

-QG
    ————-
    Really? Can you name all the other Ivy League players in the NFL? I can only think of Matt Birk. Nice try there guy.

5. contra74 says:
    Oct 28, 2011 1:49 PM
    quizguy66 says:
    Oct 28, 2011 1:46 PM
    The advantages of an Ivy League education…

-QG
    ————-

I’m pretty sure contra was kidding. In the words of Ron Burgandy, “Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast!”

6. Fantastic! Having watched Fitz while he was here in SW Ohio, I was disappointed when the Bengals let him go. I am almost a Bills fan just because of RF. Good luck to him and the team.

7. Congrats Bills fans. Giants’ fan here happy to see that you guys finally found a replacement for Jim Kelly and that you can resume beating up on your AFC East rivals including the loud mouth Jets!

8. Deserving guy. Really happy for him as a Raider fan. I looked at our schedule and knew week 2 would be hard becuase of him. Blew a 21 point lead BUT anywho …. gotta love the underdog story especially on a team like the Bills.

9. double edge sword. gailey is a smart offensive mind and fitzpatrick fits his style. the bills want people in the seats NOW and the western ny buzz that makes cash for the team. is he good? yeah, he is good but watching some of his throws you quickly realize he is not ever gonna be great because of his limitations. so i guess i will enjoy the wins as they happen and hope (and pray) nix and gailey are still looking for a franchise qb.

10. Hey, I got a new expression for you media parrots: F*** LUCK. We can win with The Fitz. Just draft a few linebackers.

11. I think Rivers is playing like 3rd tier QB this year. I noticed his arm seems to be lower on his delivery – not over the top as much. Does he have a shoulder injury or is he just starting to throw like a girl?

12. Glad to see the Bills made the right move. As a Patriots fan, I’m glad to see the Bills resurrection this year; makes the division games more exciting.

Besides, I also love the fact that the Buffalo Bills quarterback is a Harvard grad. Don’t really know why, but it makes me smile.

13. The Amish Rifle IS Buffalo. Not flashy, not the type of guy who leads Sportscenter. Just a hard worker who was counted out early as a 7th round pick. Now he makes 10 mil a year as the franchise QB of a potential playoff NFL team. Perfect fit.

14. The funny thing is he used to joke in Press Conferences when he would talk about money is that having a back-up QB contract in the NFL was actually a step down in pay from what he would be making on Wall Street with an Econ degree from Harvard. Will make 3.1 million this year. Chump change to those guys on wall street.

I think now with 33 million in the first three years of the contract, he might be close to catching up a bit to what all his classmates make. Maybe.

Good for him, he has been solid this year. They are down four WR from what they had coming out of TC and he is still playing well. Go Bills!!!

15. Bill fans –

Trade for Briggs. He’s good (an all-pro and underrated playing next to Urlacher) and he’s unhappy, and you can probably get him pretty cheap.

16. Congrats to Fitzpatrick! He’s not Kelly, but he’s a tremendous improvement over … geez, I can’t even remember their last few QBs. It’s great to see the Bills contending again. Yes, Fitzpatrick gets a lot of credit. But so does Chan Gailey!

17. I’m happy with this move…….we could do a lot worse…….he is not the greatest QB, doesn’t have the strongest arm, but he’s smart, mobile, and he get’s rid of the ball really fast. He is just in the 2nd tier QB’s. I can tell you one thing………I would take him over Cutler, Flacco and Sanchez in a New York minute!! Go Bills!!

18. dcsween says:
    Oct 28, 2011 2:46 PM
    Looking at that photo, is he really wearing a wedding band (left ring finger) while he’s playing?
    ________________________________
    @dcsween………answer is yes, Fitz does wear his wedding band during the game. Only NFL QB that does…….they did a story on that.

19. The Bills and Fitz are a perfect fit. He seems to appreciate it there in small market Buffalo and they seem to appreciate him. Win-win. Now go beat the Pats!

20. When you consider Kevin Kolb signed for 5 years $64 million with $21 million guaranteed this is an absolute steal. Fitz has earned his deal. Kiln got his off “potential”.

21. Is it possible for anyone outside of Buffalo to mention us without referring to our “small market?” It’s rude! It’s like talking openly about a woman’s chest size in front of her.

“Hey Cheryl, it’s amazing you got a date with those small markets!”

22. I like Fitzpatrick. They got a good thing going with Johnson and Jackson. They could greatly benefit by adding another viable threat opposite Johnson though.

23. Bills have lost 2 of their last 3. Maybe the happy happy joy joy bubble will be bursting soon enough.

Perhaps a big long term contract for a guy with 56 career TDs and 48 INTs isn’t so smart after all.

New Year’s Day will be your day of reckoning. Humiliation will be heaped upon you.

24. Cam Newton, 5.5 million per year

Ryan Fitzpatrick, approx. 9.8 million per year

Thank you CBA, we get a better QB at almost half the price thanks to the rookie wage scale.

25. contra74 says:
    Oct 28, 2011 1:49 PM
    quizguy66 says:
    Oct 28, 2011 1:46 PM
    The advantages of an Ivy League education…

-QG
    ————-

_________________________
    RAIDERS DT Desmond Howard – Havard
    Go Raiders!

26. fitz is my favorite bill and I am happy for him bit it amazes me how there has been no hateful comments here about his contract like it would be if certain other bills got big contracts! Haha only in bflo.!

27. Good for him. Remember watching him in Cincinnati with the Bengals and then he hit the free agent market and said he wanted to go somewhere that will allow him to start. I rolled my eyes. In actuality, it was the Bengals that sucked and made him look so bad.

28. str82dvd says: Oct 28, 2011 3:15 PM
    “Hey Cheryl, it’s amazing you got a date with those small markets!”
    ————————————————–
    Hey, stop picking on Cheryl…I married her! Good things come in small packages.

Anyway, there isn’t too much weight put into “small markets” anymore with the amount of TV money that influxes every team quite evenly. There’s no smaller market than Green Bay out there and they seem to hold their own. It’s all about how well your front office and coaching staff is put together.

29. arrogantathlete says:
    Oct 28, 2011 1:51 PM
    Let the new Jim Kelly era begin….A four year streak of one and done in the playoffs.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Kelly made it to 4 SB’s in a row. No 4yr streak of 1 and done in the playoffs. Arrogant is correct.

30. ncsteve83 says:
    Oct 28, 2011 3:53 PM
    Cam Newton, 5.5 million per year

Ryan Fitzpatrick, approx. 9.8 million per year

Yeah, laugh now, but when it comes time to reconstruct his contract in a few years you won’t be laughing anymore. Double Fitzpatrick’s contract with the same length of time and thats what ya’ll will be shelling out.
    Also, remind me, whats your teams record?
    Thought so.

31. It was clear to me that he was the real deal, last year.

Fast forward to this year, and the Bills front office is being lauded for singing him halfway through the season.

The main thing is that they signed him though.

32. Late to the party but I’m happy for the guy. I don’t know how one could love the game and not root for guys like Fitz (good guy longshots/underdogs, etc) to make good and get what they deserve…and I’m a Pats fan!

33. @ncsteve83: it’ll be a while before the panthers can really cash in on there talent at qb. drafting over the last few years has been sub par, remember jimmy clausen? a good qb leading a team with a horrible record usually spells trouble. remember michael vick in the atlanta years? fun to watch, but the novelty will wear off with loss upon loss… upon loss.
    I agree with EJ, when it comes time to resign, you better watch out- the poops gonna hit the fan.

@arrogantathelete:
    Jim Kelly hit 4 years of one and done’s in the playoffs?? wow I never knew. lol.