Hines Ward has yet to practice after spraining ankle

Hines Ward,  Rashad Johnson AP

It looked bad for Steelers receiver Hines Ward last Sunday, when he was carted off the field after spraining an ankle.  It looked better for Ward when he was later back on the sidelines, standing without crutches or any other device.

As Sunday’s showdown with the Patriots approaches, it’s not looking all that good.  Ward missed practice on Wednesday and Thursday.

But there’s still a chance he’ll play.  His replacement in the starting lineup, Emmanuel Sanders, seems to think he won’t be replacing Ward in the starting lineup.

“If he can’t go, I am the starter, but as of right now, we’re going with [Ward],” Sanders said, per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.  “I saw him running today.  Things are looking good.”

On the far more important side of the ball, when it comes to trying to stop the high-octane Patriots, linebacker James Farrior has been limited all week with a calf injury.  Linebacker James Harrison remains unavailable after fracturing an eye socket four weeks ago.  And linebacker Jason Worilds practiced on a limited basis with a quadricep injury Thursday after missing practice on Friday.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Hines Ward has yet to practice after spraining ankle”
  1. skoobyfl says: Oct 28, 2011 8:08 AM

Come on Steelers, beat those Pats & help the Bills !! First place in the AFC East sunday night.

GO Bills. A shoutout to TBD / BZ / The Range, Skooby Lives / is Scrappy.

2. obamasballsack says: Oct 28, 2011 8:28 AM

Another year of Brady carving you guys up.

3. obamablowz says: Oct 28, 2011 8:30 AM

Hines Ward still plays?

4. tiffpats4eva says: Oct 28, 2011 8:39 AM

I don’t think the Steelers need him. They should do fine without him.

5. jeepin08 says: Oct 28, 2011 8:41 AM

Quick- someone call the whammmbulance. If the Pats D can hold, this should be yet another whipping of the stealers.

6. 3yardsndust says: Oct 28, 2011 8:49 AM

Go STEELERS!!

7. CKL says: Oct 28, 2011 8:55 AM

I’m a Pats fan and I have a bad feeling about this game. WAY WAY too much media praise for Brady and how he “owns the Steelers” this time. Just like the media emphasis on the Pats “owning” the Bills prior to their game this year. I don’t like that stuff. I’ve heard players say about other similar situations that the disrespect shown to their team by the media has inspired them. Perhaps those players are full of it when they say that, but I’d prefer more even coverage of games instead of hagiographies.

8. dandalfthegrey says: Oct 28, 2011 8:55 AM

He is hurt more than Chaz Bono.

9. pdmjr says: Oct 28, 2011 9:16 AM

I think the Steelers should not show up Sunday night. Why bother, Brady is the best ever and they have no chance whatsoever.

Belichick said so himself

10. Steeler's Will says: Oct 28, 2011 9:29 AM

CKL says:
    Oct 28, 2011 8:55 AM
    ——————-
    Bill Belichek won’t let the players buy into that stuff. Despite the fact that a Brady-led Pats team has historically been victorious against Pittsburgh, the Brady-led Pats know that last year’s game was last year, and always respect their opponents when they gameplan. That doesn’t always assure victory of course but it helps.

11. bharvey1113 says: Oct 28, 2011 9:38 AM

This is basically why we signed Jerricho Cotchery. If Hines can’t play, Sanders will start in place of Ward but I expect a steady dose of Cotchery as well. I don’t think Jerricho is the exact same receiver as Hines but they’re similar and I would expect Jerricho to do a good job on similar routes and on 3rd downs.

I’m not feeling good about this week, better than most Pats games though. I’m still not confident that we van shut down Brady. We all know who is gonna make this game what it is. If Brady doesn’t get going, expect the Steelers to beat them. I think the Steelers have a little momentum after losing at home to Pats last year. Should be a fun weekend!

12. holeinone09 says: Oct 28, 2011 9:45 AM

To me, all the pressure is on the Pats. No one is giving the Steelers a chance. Fine with me. They are capable of beating anyone, including the Pats. Ben is second in passing yards in the AFC. If Ben and the offense can crank it up, they can easily win. Brady certainly has put a number of wins on the board against us in past years. But you still have to play the game, and as many here like to say when it suits their argument, history does not matter TODAY.

GO STEELERS!!

13. 6ball says: Oct 28, 2011 9:48 AM

A couple of points of clarification :

1. Nothing has come from the Patriots organization about Brady “owning” the Steelers. That story line is totally media driven.

2. Belichick has said, “there’s no other quarterback I’d rather have than Tom Brady “. He never said he was the best ever.

3. While past results make for interesting sidebars, they don’t put points on the board. Like most games between two good teams, there’s a good possibility it will come down to a key turnover in a key spot. One play.

14. quittsburghstoolers says: Oct 28, 2011 10:02 AM

“Hines Ward has yet to practice after spraining ankle”

———————————————————-

This is a trend now with Steeler players.

“Oh, no… {insert name here} is injured & he might not play ‘cuz it’s bad” and what ends up happening?

Said player does his ‘Willis Reed’ impersonation & has a big game & their fans get all tingly in their private areas over it.

That team is full of drama queens and divas, only they try to come off like they ain’t.

Sad, very sad…

15. Ricardo Grande says: Oct 28, 2011 10:02 AM

I say let him play.

He can still throw a couple of cheap shots in there, bad wheel and all…

16. pdmjr says: Oct 28, 2011 10:14 AM

Yes you should know with Brady and Ocho along with Grinkowsky and of course Belicheat himself

17. winnersagain says: Oct 28, 2011 2:19 PM

The difference between this game and last years game is the steelers will put up points.
    Steelers 27 Pats 24

18. lawboy2000 says: Oct 28, 2011 3:18 PM

The Patriots are in the Steelers’ heads. This group will never beat Brady and Belichick when it counts. Roethlisberger and LeBeau somehow look like deer in the headlights every time.

Except that one time that didn’t matter for any reason than the mid-season Sunday night highlights.

Roethlisberger’s head spins against Belichick’s defense and LeBeau can’t find a way to get to Brady physically or mentally. It’s amazing. And the games are never even close.

19. quittsburghstoolers says: Oct 28, 2011 3:30 PM

pdmjr says:Oct 28, 2011 10:14 AM

———————————————————-

I totally agree.

I don’t like the Patsys, either.

It just so happens I don’t hate them quite as much as I do the Squealers…

20. Deb says: Oct 28, 2011 9:13 PM

Good grief. I would love to know why it was so offensive for me to say it’s not unusual for a veteran to sit out when his ankle’s tweaked. That post must have been removed 10 times :roll: