14 things to know about the Week Eight injury report

"The Life Of Lee" By Lee Evans - Book Launch Getty Images

We handle the big injury stories in the rumor mill throughout the day.

The rest of the nuggets from the Friday injury report are collected here, in the second most popular running injury report segment written by a non-practicing Jew.

1. The Ravens ruled starters Lee Evans (ankle), and guard Ben Grubbs (toe) out once again.  Perhaps Evans really isn’t a starter if he never plays.

(Sources indicate that is not Lee Evans of the Ravens in the picture.)

2. The Lions will likely be without rookie Nick Fairley. He re-injured his foot and is doubtful.  Matthew Stafford (ankle) is questionable, but is expected to start.

3. The Broncos may be without Elvis Dumervil again. He’s questionable with an ankle injury after returning for a limited practice Friday.  Running back Willis McGahee is out, as expected.

4. Joseph Addai (hamstring) returned to a portion of practice Friday. He’s questionable.  Four questionable Colts didn’t practice all week and don’t look likely to play: T Anthony Castonzo (ankle), G Ryan Diem (ankle), DT Drake Nevis (back), and C Mike Pollak (hamstring).

5. Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck’s thumb injury is not a concern. He’s probable to start and practiced all week, although Jake Locker got a few more snaps than usual.

6. The Jaguars will be without two key players: T Eben Britton (back) and DE John Chick (abdomen).

7. Good news for the Giants receiver group. Miami’s top cornerback Vontae Davis (hamstring) is doubtful.

8. Giants rookie first rounder CB Prince Amukamara (foot) is out. Justin Tuck (groin, neck) is questionable, but is expected to play. Brandon Jacobs (knee) and Chris Snee (concussion) will both definitely return. They are probable.

9. The Vikings expect WR Percy Harvin (ribs) to play, although it’s possible his snaps will be limited. While cornerback Chris Cook was suspended by the team, Antoine Winfield (neck) could return. He returned to a limited practice and is questionable.

10. The Leigh Bodden release looks even stranger after we learned that Patriots rookie cornerback Ras-I Dowling (hip) is still doubtful coming off a bye week.

11. We already told you about Sam Bradford being out for the Rams. They are also without tackle Jason Smith (concussion) and wideout Danario Alexander (hamstring) is doubtful.

12. Redskins tackle Trent Williams (ankle) is out once again. So John Beck is short three key offensive weapons and his protection could be spotty.

13. Cowboys running back Tashard Choice (hamstring) is officially questionable after missing practice Friday. It sounds like he’ll be a gametime decision.

14. The Eagles should have their entire team available following the bye.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Features, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “14 things to know about the Week Eight injury report”
  1. frankiefiveangels says: Oct 28, 2011 7:38 PM

In the last calendar year Ras I Dowling has missed action in NCAA and NFL games and combine play with knee, hip, ankle, back, and hamstring problems. Yet we (Pats fans) have been told it was just his senior year he was hurt and he is not really injury prone. Yet another second/third round miss by Lord Belichick. He must be a great coach because he seems to be (lately anyway) a terrible judge of talent or character.

2. dccowboy says: Oct 28, 2011 7:41 PM

It sounds like he’ll be a gametime decision.

A “do we cut him” decision

3. ripcityhawkhead says: Oct 28, 2011 7:48 PM

I didn’t even know Nick Fairley has seen any action yet, 1 tackle in 3 games.

4. rpiotr01 says: Oct 28, 2011 7:52 PM

“Sources indicate that is not Lee Evans of the Ravens in the picture.”

No, that’s just the personification of Lee Evans’ football swagger (or lack thereof) right now.

5. geniusfan says: Oct 28, 2011 7:52 PM

“NFL games and combine play with knee, hip, ankle, back, and hamstring problems. Yet we (Pats fans) have been told it was just his senior year he was hurt and he is not really injury prone. Yet another second/third round miss by Lord Belichick.”

I’m a Patriots fan too but I don’t agree with you one bit pal.

Sure Belichick has had some misses but what about Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Patrick Chung, Sebastian Vollmer, Brandon Spikes, and if you ask me Stevan Ridley.

“He must be a great coach because he seems to be (lately anyway) a terrible judge of talent or character.”

He is a great coach one of the best ever. What do you want to have him fired? Check out the Scott Pioli drafts if you want to see terrible. Every team has hits and misses in the draft.

You can’t judge Dowling after seven weeks of an NFL season that is going a bit overboard. I guess you’re upset about Bodden being cut. That’s fine I’m sure you’re one of those same Pats fans that gave up last season when they traded Moss.

6. panamon says: Oct 28, 2011 7:56 PM

Chargers will likely be without Shaun Phillips and Mike Tolbert, along with Kris Dielman of course. Gates will be in after practicing consecutive days this week and then resting today.

7. sinclairsrevenge says: Oct 28, 2011 7:59 PM

Can someone get nick fairley some new feet already

8. lucky5934 says: Oct 28, 2011 8:05 PM

————————————————————-

Oh yeah, like the Giant’s wideouts were overly concerned about Vontae Davis.

9. citizenstrange says: Oct 28, 2011 8:10 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Patriots have the WORST pass defense in the entire NFL.

What will be the excuse when Roethlisberger craps the bed?

Gentlemen, start your excuse engines!!!

10. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Oct 28, 2011 8:22 PM

written by a non-practicing Jew

I don’t think readers care about your religious leanings, but rather all the mistakes you make. It has gotten better recently though. Keep it up.

11. bkostela says: Oct 28, 2011 8:32 PM

@geniusfan – i think frankiefiveangels is certainly confused by the bodden move. last i checked, bill is a defensive coach. last i checked, the pats D is pretty awful.

12. bkostela says: Oct 28, 2011 8:34 PM

and you should be thanking whoever drafted brady. otherwise the pats whole team would be trash.

13. bkostela says: Oct 28, 2011 8:35 PM

actually the o-line is solid too. but NE would be nothing without brady

14. adantsa says: Oct 28, 2011 8:38 PM

_______________________________

15. goatcheez says: Oct 28, 2011 9:00 PM

What about Houston?????

16. geniusfan says: Oct 28, 2011 9:17 PM

“How does NE get all these extra picks every single draft? Oh thats right…I think the guy can afford to miss a few times. And why are Pat’s fans complaining about anything? Spoiled i tell ya…”

Sadly this is 100% true… A lot of us Patriots fans are extremely spoiled to a point where we don’t accept any sort of disappointments from this team.

Tom Brady himself called out Patriots fans because Gillette was way to quiet and it wasn’t a home-field advantage anymore for the Pats.

And I know Belichick is a defensive coach but in Roger Goodell’s NFL there is no such thing as “defense”. Belichick realizes that in order to win a Super Bowl in today’s NFL you have to score a lot of points.

I’m not going to believe in the man to a fault but he’s earned my trust and respect 100 times over in this last great decade.

17. Deb says: Oct 28, 2011 9:19 PM

Oh and don’t forget that Hines Ward hasn’t practiced all week. quittsburghstoolers seems to think that’s something to rave about, but he’s pretty obsessed with our team. I tried to make a joke about that and note that it’s really not a big deal for a veteran to skip practice to recuperate, but my post was censored repeatedly and even pulled after it went through. Guess it’s just too too scary when I comment on Steelers threads these days :roll:

18. righthereisay says: Oct 28, 2011 10:20 PM

So Pittsburgh is missing
    1. Harrison, a former defensive player of the year, Pro Bowler
    2. Hines Ward, potential hall of famer, Super Bowl MVP, owner of just about every Pittsburgh WR record.
    3. James Farrior – The “leader” of the defense. Pro Bowler. Veteran
    4. Aaron Smith – Pro Bowler, some say one of the best to play their position.
    5. Doug Legursky, another Offensive Lineman

And you don’t even mention them?

19. CKL says: Oct 28, 2011 11:15 PM

Deb says: Oct 28, 2011 9:19 PM

_____________________________________
    I’ve all but given up trying to understand what sets off the censors. I do wish they would post guidelines so I could stay within them but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

There have been times where my post disappears several times, but though no post of mine appears on the topic, I still get the emails on new posts from that topic since I checked that box when I submitted a post.

20. deconjonesbitchslap says: Oct 28, 2011 11:46 PM

celebrate good times! baseball season is over!

yeaaaahhhhh!

21. twardyyy says: Oct 29, 2011 12:47 AM

Booooooo to the Steelers and Patriots. Just thought I’d share.

22. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 29, 2011 2:57 AM

No one cares about Vontae Davis. He can’t cover Nicks, Cruz AND Manningham.

Rest Amukamara until the Patriots game and let’s have Jacobs and Tuck play limited snaps on Sunday.

23. icyhuck says: Oct 29, 2011 6:49 AM

beginning to thank lee Evans was a bad idea,Bring on t.o let’s go sign him.Ray Lew can’t handle him

24. ytsejamer1 says: Oct 29, 2011 9:07 AM

geniusfan says:

I’m a Patriots fan too but I don’t agree with you one bit pal.

————————
    You are correct however for those six players, I’ll give you examples from five or six years of absolute NOTHING from the drafts or free agency. Pioli’s last couple of drafts with the Pats stunk out the joint, but remember, BB authorizes everything that happens. It’s ultimately on him.

Last year’s 2010 draft turned out great…the last draft class where we (Pats) got some actual production from top to bottom like we did last year was back in 2003.

Since then, the only non-first round draft picks left are Gostkowski, Brace and Pryor (who spend their seasons in the trainer’s room), Slater, Vollmer, and Edelman. That’s pretty bad considering 8 years worth of draft picks.

BB is one of the best coaches around…but his player evaluation is suspect at best. Remember, if you continue to trade down, you get worse talent. If you swing and miss in free agency in addition to terrible drafts…how do you improve your team? He’s been throwing a lot of junk against the wall on defense and coming up with nothing worth writing home about.

As for the Lions…they’d be scary if they actually got something from their oft-injured 2011 draft class. If those guys get healthy for next year, they really can wreak some more havoc on the league.

25. dcfan4life says: Oct 29, 2011 9:56 AM

“but NE would be nothing without brady”

Ya, because 11-5 a few years ago without brady was nothing. You guys forget, the Patriots defense is better than there stats. There offense scores so much that other teams are forced to throw the ball to catch up, hurting the pats defensive stats especially pass defense. Look who they played that can pass, the Chargers, Bills, Miami (before Hennes injury), Jets, and Dallas. Playing teams like that with a lead will kill your pass defense.

26. johnnyjagfan says: Oct 29, 2011 11:35 AM

What about Houston?

Pot Roast hates ‘em. We’ve played three defenses in three weeks that have been ranked #1 at some point this season. Talk about baptism by fire for Gabbert…

We have a bye next week…check this out: The Jaguars are 15-13 after prime-time games and 11-5 before bye weeks. They are 6-2 before byes under Del Rio with six wins in a row. … Jaguars receivers have dropped nine passes in the five games Gabbert has started.

I’ll take the 9 1/2 and throw a small play on the money line.

27. Deb says: Oct 29, 2011 12:37 PM

@CKL …

Not sure if it makes me feel better or worse to know someone with your football intelligence and always lucid, on-topic posts is censored, too. Have had some other stuff aimed at me that makes it more personal–and sets me off like a nuke. But I’ll never understand why they complain about wanting intelligent, on-topic comments, then censor those they get. I don’t do the e-mail thing–just bookmark and check back when I get a second. Obsessive clicking has become what taking a cig break was back in the day :)

28. CKL says: Oct 29, 2011 6:41 PM

@ Deb, Oh I’m no angel believe me! I am sure sometimes I’ve tweaked people enough to get censored. That said, I try not to name call or use cuss words spelled out which I would think would be the two major reasons for getting dumped. I agree that there have been personal attacks (on you and others) that I can’t see how they made it through. I guess I don’t get why ALL of that isn’t censored out…or NONE of it! Oh well…I’m doing pretty well if that’s all the drama in my life. :) I can’t wish your guys good luck tomorrow of course, but I do wish no injuries for your squad.

29. Deb says: Oct 29, 2011 7:55 PM

@CKL …

ROFL … I’ve ranted and raved so much the folks behind the scenes here think I’m stone cold crazy and that this drama is the center of my universe. Actually, I’m drowning in real-world drama right now and beating my head against this rock is my escape. Maybe I should take up boxing :D Well, I hope for a competitive game and no injuries for either side. Hope your mom enjoys the game ;)

30. CKL says: Oct 30, 2011 7:40 AM

@ Deb…fair enough…I’ll let my mom enjoy this one if I get to enjoy a playoff rematch. :)

31. ytsejamer1 says: Oct 30, 2011 8:14 AM

get a room you two! :)

32. Deb says: Oct 30, 2011 12:11 PM

@CKL …

Wait … not sure about those terms. But at least it has us in the playoffs, and on opening day that was a definite question mark :)

33. alldayvikings says: Nov 1, 2011 3:19 PM

Why isn’t Ryan Mathews on here??? He sat out at the end of the game with it being a close one…no toughness.