Munchak: Johnson’s usage will “depend on the flow of the game”

Indianapolis Colts v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Chris Johnson is paid more than any running back in football except Adrian Peterson.

You’d think that would guarantee Johnson feature back status on his own team, but you’d also think Johnson would be averaging more than 2.8 yards-per-carry, which is dead last among eligible runners this year.

Javon Ringer was on the field more than Johnson Sunday against the Colts. Ringer was out there when the game was on the line. He was more effective than Johnson in every respect.  So is Johnson still The Man?

Coach Mike Munchak wouldn’t make any promises.  He said “every game will be different” and the usage between Ringer and Johnson “depends on the flow of the game.”

Ringer was careful to say he knows he’s role.

“CJ is our guy and I’m the backup. That’s just the way it is. There’s no controversy. There’s nothing between us. I know my role,” Ringer said via the Tennessean.

Johnson admitted it was tough to watch key moments from the sideline; he had one carry in the fourth quarter.  If Johnson couldn’t get going against the Colts, we wonder when it will happen. The Titans are 4-3 and need to win games.  That probably means a committee approach is here to stay.

Johnson got his money; Ringer may get Johnson’s playing time.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Munchak: Johnson’s usage will “depend on the flow of the game””
  1. redbullenergydrink says: Oct 31, 2011 2:33 PM

Oh how the mighty has fallen…

2. trbowman says: Oct 31, 2011 2:34 PM

Where does it rank as one of the worst contracts ever?

Off the top of my head, Javon Walker. DeAngelo Williams was awful, too. There’s more I’m forgetting.

3. jacunn2000 says: Oct 31, 2011 2:34 PM

Wow, $53 million dollars for 2.3 yards per carry.. He is making JaMarcuss Russell look like a great deal.

4. chocolatebaconbutter says: Oct 31, 2011 2:36 PM

Kudos to Ringer for being a company man, and saying all the right things. That’s very commendable. With all the guys complaing in the league right now about any number of things (I’m looking at you Brandon Jacobs) it’s nice to see a guy not cause waves, especially when the team is winning.

5. tatatoothy says: Oct 31, 2011 2:37 PM

Looks like CJ2K is just another athelete that played until he got paid…

6. iknowitallandmore says: Oct 31, 2011 2:37 PM

I posted here numerous times screaming as loud as I could for the Titans not to cave in and show C.J. the money.

When will these GM’s learn?

C.J. is just flat out stealing a check each week. He Shaun Alexandered the Titans and I saw it coming a mile away. Cut Mr. Ghetto as soon as you can

7. ammarradhi says: Oct 31, 2011 2:38 PM

Thanks for being the biggest bust on my fantasy team!

8. dvdxtreme says: Oct 31, 2011 2:40 PM

“Johnson got his money; Ringer may get Johnson’s playing time.”

Not only did Johnson get his money; he also got my fantasy team…. :(

9. ownbay says: Oct 31, 2011 2:44 PM

Them heavy pockets have slowed him down.

10. sterilizecromartie says: Oct 31, 2011 2:47 PM

Bench the bum.

11. cjspiller12 says: Oct 31, 2011 2:48 PM

Johnson is a bum………..he screwed up my fantasy team too……….he’s on my bench the rest of the year.

12. davidjcu says: Oct 31, 2011 2:49 PM

Ringer has been this way since his days at MSU. He’s not blazing fast or bruising but productive, hard working, plays with heart, and do whatever his team needs. CJ needs to learn from his team mate before he ruins big pay days for runningbacks in the NFL.

13. moneymike23 says: Oct 31, 2011 2:51 PM

I remember when people thought Johnson was actually better than AP. LOL!

14. phillychzstk2012 says: Oct 31, 2011 2:52 PM

i have more faith starting a Mike Shanahan running back over CJ”2K”…

15. ncsteve83 says: Oct 31, 2011 2:59 PM

As many have said…

He ruined the living crap out of my fantasy team…..but, try having your second round pick be Peyton Hillis on top of Johnson in the first round…you will be in fantasy hell like me.

16. johnkoehnen says: Oct 31, 2011 3:00 PM

“Where does it rank as one of the worst contracts ever?”

Don’t forget about the biggest contract hesit ever… just across the sidelines — Peyton Manning.

17. Andre's Johnson says: Oct 31, 2011 3:01 PM

Also the flow of his menses.

Haha…gross…

18. NakedCowboy! says: Oct 31, 2011 3:04 PM

dont write him off… he can still go for 1000 yards in last 8 games!
    - A desperate fantasy owner

19. baseballstars says: Oct 31, 2011 3:08 PM

“We’ve already had our Vietnam. Now you’re gonna have yours.”
    -Col. Trautman, Rambo III

“We’ve already had our Albert Haynesworth. Now you’re gonna have yours.”
    -Redskins nation, 2011

20. thetwilightsown says: Oct 31, 2011 3:08 PM

How many times have we seen this?

Every GM/owner should make a list of these hold out happy players and wave it in front of anyone trying to pull the same move. How is the team held hostage every time, only to cave to pressure from the media and the fans? Ridiculous.

21. 1captain1 says: Oct 31, 2011 3:10 PM

Move him to slot WR and have some fun.

He’s still an athlete and having Ringer, Hall, and CJ on the field at the same time would create matchup problems.

22. 1captain1 says: Oct 31, 2011 3:12 PM

Peyton Hillis and CJ2K should do a buddy movie…

“Take the Money and… D’Oh!”

23. ticalcaldwell says: Oct 31, 2011 3:15 PM

the flow of the game huh…..give him that huge contract for that huh….depending on the flow of the game…. see Carolina RBs…..jus sayin….Johnson better do something quick because here comes the Bengals front 7…..ouch

24. cletusvandam says: Oct 31, 2011 3:23 PM

I was forced to watch that stinker of a game. What shocked me most is how hard the announcers for the game we trying repeatedly to claim that it wasnt chris johnson’s fault at all. It was the O-line, or a new offense or the playcalling or anything else, but Johnson. They even went so far as to say Johnson’s numbers and Ringer’s numbers were pretty much the same for the game, so that proved their point about it not being Johnson’s fault.
    At one point they said the problem was that Johnson wasn’t getting enough touches. 15 wasn’t enough, he needed 20-25. I remember thinking “are these guys his agents or what?”
    How is 14 carries 60 yds and 14 carries 34 yds the same? I’ll let you guess which one was Chris Johnsons stat line.

25. stephen031 says: Oct 31, 2011 3:24 PM

So quick to criticize, but Ringer had done nothing this year either other than some garbage time yards in the 4th quarter. CJ has always been dependent on his offensive line to at least make some sort of crease for him to run through, but there’s NOTHING.

Anyone who watched the game yesterday (and I know everyone outside of Titans and Colts fans wouldn’t watch that mess) saw Solomon Wilcots breaking it down.. CJ’s running style this year isn’t any different than it was his first 3 years. He’s always been a patient runner who stops and cuts after receiving the carry and then hits the hole. However, that doesn’t work when Eugene Amano, Leroy Harris, and Jake Scott are watching the defenders they’re supposed to be blocking gang tackling CJ a half second after the ball is snapped. He’s been able to make the first guy miss plenty of times.. but when there’s a 2nd and 3rd guy there to wrap him up, it doesn’t mean a thing.

But in an era where people care more about watching their fantasy football scores than the actual game, I can’t say I’m surprised CJ is getting painted as that guy who took the money and quit. Call me biased or whatever, but if Ringer is really going to start splitting time throughout the entire game, I’m telling you right now that Ringer won’t be getting 3 YPC either. It’s not possible to run behind that joke of an offensive line.

26. vahawker says: Oct 31, 2011 3:31 PM

iknowitallandmore:

Alexander was already old when he got his big contract, then brain dead Timmy NoSkill let Hutch walk, other O-line guys retired, and Timmy Noskill hadn’t satisfactorliy addressed the O-line leaving some BAD players to trot out on the field.
    I was a huge critic of SA’s fall down to avoid being hit, dance behind the line THEN fall down runing style. BUT, he played with broken bones and other injuries after his big payday. The O-line went in the crapper and he was too old to do it on his own. His production sucked, giving him the big contract was stupid, but SA didn’t screw the Hawks the way CJwon’tplay is screwing the Titans.

27. rcali says: Oct 31, 2011 3:45 PM

Matt Forte is paying for this one.

28. noodlecbs says: Oct 31, 2011 3:51 PM

Yeah he sucks, but that grill is still redonkulous!!

29. drbandkgb says: Oct 31, 2011 3:58 PM

You can fuss about the O-Line all you want but I see holes.. Ringer seems to see these holes.. For a sub par back up running back I think his numbers are better than our top RB..

The run game is whats killing the Titans from really being a play off team.. All other parts seem to be working well.. #8 is looking pretty good..

30. philyeagles5 says: Oct 31, 2011 4:03 PM

sorry worst contract ever is Jamarcus Russell. guy made 10m a year in just guarentees.

31. nightshade420 says: Oct 31, 2011 5:03 PM

thetwilightsown-
    “How many times have we seen this?
    I can’t remember the last time a player held out for significant time, got his contract and then came in and performed up to it. Seriously… since when?”

Darrelle Revis held out for a contract last year and last I checked he is pretty good.