Jermichael Finley is down with the franchise tag

Green Bay Packers v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Packers tight end Jermichael Finley is hoping to get a contract extension by the end of this season.

If that doesn’t happen, Finley is cool with the Packers placing the franchise tag on him next February.

“If they do that, I’m down with that,” Finley told Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “I ain’t going to be [ticked] off. I just love the game, and I was just blessed to be making money. I’m just taking it all in.”

Finley is saying all the right things in his contract year. More importantly, he’s stayed healthy after missing most of last season following knee surgery.

“You can’t ask for a better city just because there’s nothing to do, for one thing,” Finley said. “I’m going to be real with you, there’s less trouble you can get into. It’s first class in everything they do — contracts, around the building — everything’s first class.”

His numbers (25 catches, 334 yards, four touchdowns) aren’t quite as big as expected, but that’s largely because the Packers have so many other weapons. It’s also possible Finley hasn’t completely regained his pre-surgery explosiveness.

The team has already signed guard Josh Sitton and wideout Jordy Nelson long-term this season. Finley’s deal always figured to be more complicated.

Retaining Finley at a big salary for 2012 via the franchise tag makes a lot of sense for the Packers, especially since Finley doesn’t have a problem with it.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Jermichael Finley is down with the franchise tag”
  1. bordner says: Nov 1, 2011 10:52 AM

As long as his ego doesn’t get out of control, I’d love to see him stay a Packer. No one can be allowed to become bigger than the team.

2. medtxpack says: Nov 1, 2011 10:56 AM

We think youre pretty first class to Finley!

3. bmue42 says: Nov 1, 2011 10:57 AM

the rich stayin rich

4. klunge says: Nov 1, 2011 11:01 AM

Retaining him at a lower salary for several years makes even more sense.

5. dukemarc says: Nov 1, 2011 11:05 AM

Use part of the remaining 7 million to lock Scott Wells up and put the Franchise tag on Finley next year while Ted Thompson works out a long term deal.

6. packattackisback says: Nov 1, 2011 11:07 AM

Yes, Jermichael talks a lot, but usually he’s just expressing his enthusiasm for his team and it’s usually not entirely self-centered like most of the receiving divas out there (besides when he suggested he should get more targets when being double-covered, though from a team-standpoint it allowed the rest of the best receiving corps in the NFL to do extra damage to Denver), and as a Packers fan I love everything he brings to the team.

I hope he’s a Packer for life, too.

7. Peter Venkman says: Nov 1, 2011 11:09 AM

He’ll tear it up in the playoffs.

8. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Nov 1, 2011 11:09 AM

When healthy- he’s up there with the best receiving TEs. Problem is he’s never finished a season. So a long-term contract would be a big risk.

9. laeaglefan says: Nov 1, 2011 11:10 AM

10. str8cashomie2 says: Nov 1, 2011 11:15 AM

now a fan on finley

11. fthrvic says: Nov 1, 2011 11:16 AM

Code word for: “Jermichael Finley is down with getting paid”

12. hus10188 says: Nov 1, 2011 11:19 AM

“You can’t ask for a better city just because there’s nothing to do, for one thing,” Finley said. “I’m going to be real with you, there’s less trouble you can get into.”

LOOOOOL! One of the funniest quotes I’ve heard from an athlete, all year. Brutally honest.

13. mrninetysixchamps says: Nov 1, 2011 11:20 AM

The Eagles are having a hissy fit right now…Can’t buy J Fin

14. vargafamily1 says: Nov 1, 2011 11:23 AM

As a Packer fan, I was concerned about Finley’s attitude. These comments are a step in the right direction.

15. packerstexansfan says: Nov 1, 2011 11:23 AM

YOTTO!

16. rpiotr01 says: Nov 1, 2011 11:24 AM

Sure, they ALL say that now, especially when they’re 7-0. Wait a couple months, lose a few games and ask Finley again.

17. mushroomcloudmofo says: Nov 1, 2011 11:25 AM

It’s been fun to watch Finley mature right before our eyes. It seems like only yesterday he called out Aaron Rodgers for “putting the pass on the wrong shoulder” against the undefeated Titans. He still talks nonstop, but his jovial attitude largely makes up for it.

Still, I hate to say it, but I doubt he gets a long term deal. Ultimately, he wants to be the highest payed TE, and TT is developing talent behind him (Andrew Quarless, DJ Williams). The Thompson way of GMing is to identify a core group of players, then develop depth around them. Considering they won a Super Bowl sans Finley, I think the writing is on the wall.

18. ncsteve83 says: Nov 1, 2011 11:27 AM

As far as TE’s, I think he is in the top 5 category with:

Jimmy Graham (713 yards, 5tds, WOW)
    Jason Whitten
    Rob Gronkowski
    & Greg Olsen

I think longterm, Graham is the only guy I would rather have, even though I love Carolina and Olsen….Graham killed us this year, over 100 yards receiving against the panthers.

19. hus10188 says: Nov 1, 2011 11:34 AM

laeaglefan says:
    I honest don’t understand why any player resents having the franchise tag placed on him. They can make more money in that one year than 99.99% of the population will make in a lifetime.I honest don’t understand why any player resents having the franchise tag placed on him. They can make more money in that one year than 99.99% of the population will make in a lifetime.
    ———————–

It does seem pretty strange for someone to cry like a baby when they’re making the average top 5 salary at their position via the tag. BUT….

In the business of football, it still makes economic sense for an athlete to push for a long term deal and guaranteed dollars. Look at Vincent Jackson, he’s got the tag for a 1 year $10 mill. Lets say he blows out his achilles next week, bye bye to his $30 mill guaranteed that he should and would make come the years end. Lets say he never comes back from that injury, he then has to live off of $10 mill as opposed to the $60-$70 mill that they he would’ve made had he stayed injury free. It’s a small window and these players got to grab as much as they can while they can.

Granted $10 mill is still a boatload, but in this scenario in NFL terms, not so much.

20. transam7816 says: Nov 1, 2011 11:41 AM

@ laeaglefan

Because if you get a torn acl while having the franchise tag..you will most likely not get a nice long term contract. Basically comes down to security

21. ilpackerfan says: Nov 1, 2011 11:46 AM

I can see why they would be in certain cases, running backs especially. A running back is probably only getting one big contract unless he comes in at the top of the draft. He’s got 3-4 years to be the star. They’d like get a nice big contract with a signing bonus for multiple years to get some more financial security. The franchise tag takes a year off of those valuable years, and doesn’t give him a signing bonus. If he gets hurt during that year, that may be his last contract.

Yes, its a heck of a lot of money, but it could easily be only half or a third of what he could get. I’m sure you wouldn’t like it either if you had that happen at your job.

22. packattack1967 says: Nov 1, 2011 11:55 AM

Keep it up kid and you’ll be the first ‘jermichael’ on the ring of honor!

23. expatpatfan says: Nov 1, 2011 11:57 AM

If I wasn’t living up to my self-generated hype and coming off an injury in a contract year, I’d be saying all the right things too.

24. gb4mn0 says: Nov 1, 2011 12:08 PM

Even as a recalcitrant Packer fan I from time to time am skeptical of all the “kum by ya” that comes out of the Champs camp but there are many things working in favor of this team having a good run for several years. It’s a smart decision for Finley to ride it out through next season and then lay the chip on the table. Maybe the Pack gets back to the big game this year or next and he can play in it instead of watching it from the sidelines.
    If I’m sure of one thing it’s that Finley’s statement about life in Green Bay has got to grate on the vikequeen rubes who would like nothing better than to see a crack in the wall in Camelot.

25. svallen says: Nov 1, 2011 12:09 PM

Finley is definitely deserving of being top-salaried TE in the NFL. He is making $1.2M right now and is the 19th highest paid Tight End, according to Spotrac.com. Franchise tagging him would obviously boost his salary tremendously.

26. beanocook says: Nov 1, 2011 12:12 PM

The Thompson way of GMing is younger players = better players. He cut 13 NFL vets to make room for 13 rookies on a championship squad. He is the only NFL GM with his own farm team and that is the difference.

Thompson knows that the NFL is terrible at developing players…..he stocks his team with draft picks and free agent rookies and is able to churn through a large number of players. Many overlooked or many were poorly coached in college…..he has been able to turn out starters and starts from this pile of rookies and street FAs.

The NFL should take notice, learn to develop players.

27. minnesconsin says: Nov 1, 2011 12:16 PM

If he stays healthy and productive for the season, look for a contract extension late in the regular season or early in the post-season, a la Desmond Bishop’s deal last year.

If they have to franchise him, so be it — but I don’t think that’s what the team prefers to do. Remember, they have to figure out what to do with Matt Flynn. No doubt Ted Thompson will hope to pull off a Whitehurst/Kolb/Cassell-type trade with Flynn. It sounds insane, but Flynn could also be tagged in hopes of receiving compensation.

28. supashug says: Nov 1, 2011 12:18 PM

Some idiot put Rob Gronkowski on waivers, I am grabbing him:)

When JF gets his head in the game I will put him back in the line up, this could slow things up a tad

PACKERS……STOP MESSING WITH MY FANTASY TEAM

29. zbigern says: Nov 1, 2011 12:58 PM

Tagging Flynn would be ridiculous as he is then paid more than ARodg…trading him cant happen either as the deadline is a goner, but I bet we dangled him while trading was still an option. I say tag Wells & sign Jermike…like soon because somebodies gonna throw big bucks at him because hes worth it. We need to redo ARodgs comtract too…mo money for him. Then lets draft DL in the first 3 rds and never look back…BANG!

30. houndog50 says: Nov 1, 2011 12:58 PM

Finley saying all the right things, what a concept!
    I gotta admit I do like it, but is it for real? This might just be a byproduct of Rodgers spreading the ball around, Finley not having the year (thus far) that he was “talking” earlier, the Packers being 7-0, and Finley knowing they can do it without him. Either way I’ll take his positive attitude as a big plus, and I’ll continue to hope it’s real. There’s no doubt he’s an asset.

31. chris6523 says: Nov 1, 2011 1:09 PM

The pack should be in a position to retain whoever they want to this coming offseason. Clifton might be finished and even if he isn’t he’s coming back at a significantly lower salary or will be released. Either way, the pack gains a lot of cap space. If the unthinkable happens with Nick Collins and he has to retire, there will be significantly more cap space there as well. The pack won’t be a player in free agency as their will be no need on offense and will focus heavily on defense in the early rounds of the ’12 draft. The possible exception being if a stud running back that Ted likes happens to land in his lap.

32. midwestguru says: Nov 1, 2011 1:20 PM

You would think a massive injury would scare you into wanting a long term deal….but then again most of these athletes thing the business side of the NFL is who is financing my next pair of diamond earings lo.

33. axespray says: Nov 1, 2011 1:32 PM

He’s been helping our WRs get in more 1 on 1 matchups…. our guys usually win those matchups, with Rodgers awesome accuracy, all he needs is a bit of a window.

34. rugdog100 says: Nov 1, 2011 1:55 PM

He’s down with it, huh? lol…

35. laeaglefan says: Nov 1, 2011 2:02 PM

“he then has to live off of $10 mill as opposed to the $60-$70 mill that they he would’ve made had he stayed injury free”

Poor guy. I should have that problem. Seriously though, I do understand the rationale, but realistically how many of those players actually end up getting the full value of their contract? The team cuts them as soon as their salary gets to be too high for what they’re producing on the field.

36. minkytails says: Nov 1, 2011 2:49 PM

To quote Teddy KGB: “Pay thees myan hees money.”

37. chobes68 says: Nov 1, 2011 3:07 PM

as a Bears fan, I’ve got to admit that the Packers are a tough team to hate. excuse me while I go slam my head in the door for writing that.

38. purpleguy says: Nov 1, 2011 3:36 PM

Finley is really the only guy on that team I’ve always thought was a turd. However, his comment that you can’t ask for a better city cause “there’s nothing to do” shows that maybe he’s not the dope I thought he was.

39. acdc84 says: Nov 1, 2011 3:47 PM

Worst case scenario: Franchise him and trade him for a 2nd rounder, a la Corey Williams a few years back. I’d love to keep him, but only if it makes sense for the TEAM.

40. stavreafavre says: Nov 1, 2011 4:44 PM

Watching the Pack win it all without him seems to have taken a bit of the swagger out of him. Good news for GB; not so good for everyone else.

41. tangysizzl says: Nov 1, 2011 8:53 PM

I would like to see him get a fair contract in the range of 4yrs 20-25 million. Hes a playmaker and deserves to get paid but he will have to settle for a little less than he thinks hes worth.

Looking into the near future TT must lock up guys like Greg Jennings, Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews and BJ Raji to big money deals.

42. aaronitout says: Nov 1, 2011 11:32 PM

ncsteve83 says:Nov 1, 2011 11:27 AM

As far as TE’s, I think he is in the top 5 category with:

Jimmy Graham (713 yards, 5tds, WOW)
    Jason Whitten
    Rob Gronkowski
    & Greg Olsen

———————————————————-
    Graham is a great player but he doesn’t do what Finley does. He may have a ton of yards but he only has one more TD than Finley. Finley takes the double team off of all the other Packers receivers, which are better playmakers than the Saints receivers.

Finley is the difference maker for the Packers, he’s the guy that changes coverages. Graham is not that guy for the Saints. Sproles is that guy for NO. Sproles is opening everything up for Graham. Teams have to choose to take Graham or Sproles out…and Sproles is so good that it doesn’t matter.

Where you draw the line is that the Packers are undefeated and the Saints just lost to one of the worst teams in the league starting their backup QB.

43. childressrulz says: Nov 2, 2011 3:51 AM

I doubt if Finley really does want to leave. Remember that Rodgers throwing you the ball is a pretty good reason to stay put. Would you go to a team with a crappy QB (Tebow, Cassel) or stay with a superbowl winner and catch passes from Rodgers.

44. stellarperformance says: Nov 2, 2011 10:54 AM

Either this kid is pretty smart, or his agent is coaching him on the best things to say to endear himself to the team and the fans. Whichever it is, it’s working.

45. sigma1932 says: Nov 3, 2011 5:09 AM

aaronitout says:

This.

There’s 2-3 other competent targets for A-Rod to pick from (when J-Mike was putting up bigger numbers last year, they only had 1-2 because Jordy Nelson hadn’t broken out yet), and in their style of offense, the TE is usually gonna be the last read before the dump off to the RB. Either that, or he’ll be a designed mismatch setup, and you can’t do that the whole game. Add a case of the dropsies (happens when you miss a year, but it’s correctable– look at James Jones compared to last year) and that’s why he hasn’t been putting up numbers.

On the other hand, if opposing defenses don’t pay extra attention to him, he’ll hurt ‘em BAD. Look at what happened in Chicago… True, “Da Bears” are dead last when it comes to opposing TE’s this year, but no TE did anywhere near as much damage to them as #88 did. It’s that threat that opens up the other guys.

As far as his attitude goes, I’d say he’s a bit more Ocho Cinco than T.O., and that doesn’t exactly hurt the locker room. I’d try to lock the guy up for 4-5 years for 20-25 mil with 8-10ish guaranteed and the salary back-loaded, then down the line either cut him (and the inflated salary) loose if he doesn’t pan out or renegotiate him to bring the salary down.