Carson Palmer says he has Raiders’ playbook down pat

Kansas City Chiefs v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

After two weeks in Oakland, Carson Palmer says he’s ready to run the Raiders’ offense.

In his meeting with the media Wednesday, Palmer said that he was lost in his first few days with the team (something that will come as no surprise to anyone who saw Palmer’s first game in a Raiders uniform), hard work during the bye week has given him a great handle on the offense.

“There’s no comparison to last week, to last Wednesday,” Palmer said. “I’m comfortable with the entire playbook, comfortable with the guys, comfortable with the snap count, where to stand in the huddle. Every little bit that I’ve been around here, every second that I’ve had, I’ve just learned more and more.”

Palmer said he’s thrilled to be reunited with his old Bengals teammate T.J. Houshmandzadeh, but he downplayed his own role in the Raiders’ decision to sign him, saying that it was Raiders coach Hue Jackson who made that move on his own.

“I found out when T.J. told me he was coming for a workout,” Palmer said. “Coach Jackson was looking to sign him before training camp.”

In any event, Palmer now has a receiver he’s comfortable with and a playbook he’s comfortable with. There will be no excuses if he doesn’t look good on Sunday against the Broncos.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
63 Responses to “Carson Palmer says he has Raiders’ playbook down pat”
  1. cincyandrew says: Nov 3, 2011 12:12 PM

He had the Cincy playbook “down pat” also… We all saw how that ended up…

2. steelchamps says: Nov 3, 2011 12:12 PM

Raiders are cute. Like a little baby puppy. Aaawwee who’s a goody wiggle baby aft puuupyy?? : )

3. vikesfansteve says: Nov 3, 2011 12:14 PM

where to stand in the huddle?

4. lunarpie says: Nov 3, 2011 12:15 PM

He’s gonna be the best quarterback in Oakland since Jim Plunket. Get ready for the Raiders to own the AFC West.

5. edmazeing1 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:15 PM

22/26 286 3tds & a raiders win!!!

6. joetoronto says: Nov 3, 2011 12:19 PM

cincyandrew says: Nov 3, 2011 12:12 PM

He had the Cincy playbook “down pat” also… We all saw how that ended up…
    *************************************************
    It’s time to move on, Andrew.

He didn’t want to have anything to do with the Bengals and all the convicts & headcases on the team.

Can’t say I blame him.

7. ottograham says: Nov 3, 2011 12:20 PM

Good luck to the AFC West. Those of us in Pittsburgh are waiting for this primetime game Sunday, then headed off to Cincy, then a bye week. Immediately followed by 5 of the softest teams to finish up the season. Enjoy beating the hell out of one another just to secure a playoff spot. Just know this….

AFC Championship goes through PITTSBURGH.

8. phillyfan4ever says: Nov 3, 2011 12:21 PM

Please make me look good in my fantasy league

9. runrickyrun34 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:22 PM

No, they run the University of Maryland streak. DHB runs all the way down the field and the other receivers just run around short. It’s not hard to learn. I’ve been watching the likes of Torrey Smith and DHB do it for some times now as a U of MD fan. As for their route running, it’s like doing a 3 point turn during a driving test and making it an 8 point turn. These guys are like rookie QB’s that need to sit the first year to learn. If you’re going to draft a Maryland receiver your best bet is to take the slowest guy because he can probably run routes.

10. robigd says: Nov 3, 2011 12:22 PM

INT, pass, INT, run, INT.

Pretty simple stuff.

11. 1buckeye76 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:22 PM

Pick 6 anyone?

12. butlers91 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:22 PM

I just hope he remembers which team to throw to. Broncos do wear orange after all.

13. deviantfate says: Nov 3, 2011 12:23 PM

McFadden was on crutches and in a walking boot on Monday, that’s not gonna help Palmer get off to a good start.

Just FAIL baby!!!

14. tfbuckfutter says: Nov 3, 2011 12:23 PM

Looked to me like he had their gameplan down pat in his first game…..that is what they were going for isn’t it?

15. tampajoey says: Nov 3, 2011 12:23 PM

Raiders are the cream of the crop in the AFC West this season and should win their division. McFadden is a beast!

San Diego is overrated and the west coast Tony Romo (Rivers) will continue to choke in clutch situations as he has in his entire career.

16. cmack21 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:23 PM

I bet he still throws 2 INT’s

17. jacunn2000 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:24 PM

Not a Raider fan, but I wish this guy and this team nothing but success. As much as I and just about everyone else has cracked on old Al, I wish he was still around to see his team do well one more time.

18. tinbender2000 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:24 PM

“There will be no excuses if he doesn’t look good on Sunday against the Broncos.”

There’s no excuse for anyone who doesn’t look good against the Broncos.

19. lelabear47 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:25 PM

Good, no excuses from Carson or Hue after this week.

20. burnzy32 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:27 PM

hand off to Run DMC or Bush, then play action deep ball to one of their stone handed recievers….pretty simple

21. nineroutsider says: Nov 3, 2011 12:27 PM

@steelchamps

Steelers fans are the biggest losers; can’t wait until that Monday Night game at the Stick. The finesse Steelers are going to get thoroughly wasted. The nation will see what the Niners are about.

Oh yeah, this is a Raiders post, I hope this works out for them, but I have a bad feeling. Hopefully Carson was not giving it all in Cincy because if he was this will not be pretty.

22. yevrag3535 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:29 PM

Still washed up, who cares.

23. damnsureis says: Nov 3, 2011 12:29 PM

Hopefully, Ochocinco will by to join him shortly.

24. lunarpie says: Nov 3, 2011 12:30 PM

Cincyandrew,

He had the Cincy playbook “down pat” also… We all saw how that ended up…

What he had in Cincy doesn’t come close to what he has in Oakland. Cincy’s fans are fair weather fans and your o-line was horrible. The Raiders fans are the most loyal in the NFL and they have a solid running game and a solid defense.

25. nineroutsider says: Nov 3, 2011 12:31 PM

ottograham says: Nov 3, 2011 12:20 PM

AFC Championship goes through PITTSBURGH.
    ——————————————————
    Pittsburgh is a soft team, the 9ers are going to jam them up in front of the entire country. Stay delusional Steeler…

26. marcsasharc says: Nov 3, 2011 12:34 PM

i feel bad for raider fans. they are too blind to see this guy is washed up. nobody has commented on his noodle arm on display the last time he was on the field.

27. buckeyebrownsfan says: Nov 3, 2011 12:38 PM

28. jackfnburton says: Nov 3, 2011 12:42 PM

The Broncos are making everyone look good this year. No need to worry about that.

29. mrgroovesd says: Nov 3, 2011 12:47 PM

You can’t say he didn’t have anything in Cincy, he had good WR, a good RB so it’s similar to the Oakland situation. Good WR w/ TJ as one of his targets who he is familiar with and a very good RB but I heard he was on crutches and a boot on Monday. Let’s see what happens.

30. whodeytrox says: Nov 3, 2011 12:48 PM

The Raiders gave up 2 picks to get Carson…Then they gave up 3 more in his first game. TJ is a cancer, and I’m not talking about Zodiac. All those years in Cincy when everyone was saying Ocho was a bad egg, it was really TJ’s incessant whining, and demanding the ball that was bringing the team down. Good Luck with that, Raiders. At least Ndukwe is a stud.

31. Ricardo Grande says: Nov 3, 2011 12:51 PM

buckeyebrownsfan says:

“Did I really just read a comment from a Pittsburgh fan with the handle ottograham?”
    ———————

Another confused band-wagon jumper, no doubt. Or possibly just brain-dead. Or both.

32. slickster35 says: Nov 3, 2011 12:53 PM

The best part of this signing is all the optimism the fade fans have. They’re purposely blinding themselves to the fact that Palmer isn’t the talent he used to be. The fall is going to be hard to take when reality hits. Carson Palmer hasn’t been a decent QB for a few years now, and time and additional injuries aren’t going to make that any better. Add that to the fact that marshmallow McFadden is watching games again, and the fade offense will again be offensive to watch.

This signing is the best thing to happen to the other ACF West teams since Tebow was named a starter.

33. dukemarc says: Nov 3, 2011 1:13 PM

Good, then no excuses if he falls on his face.

34. tacoslinger619 says: Nov 3, 2011 1:14 PM

Knowing the playbook does not make up for the fact that he is still fragile and weak armed………..Gonna be ugly Sunday…. both defenses could have fantasy value!

35. getweird4u says: Nov 3, 2011 1:15 PM

Too bad you have about as much velocity on the ball as ty detmer. carson palmer= ol’jelly elbow

36. rodgerthat says: Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM

I hate to be a repeater, and I although I wouldn’t rank him as an elite QB I do like Carson, but “Where to stand in the huddle”???? Really? The only thing more intellectually challenging that he could have said would have been “What huddle to stand in when I call the plays” ????

37. cincyalldaway says: Nov 3, 2011 1:18 PM

LMAO @ these crazy azz Raiduhs fans. You guys are truely delusional if you think Palmer is gonna win you anything! It’s just not gonna happen. And now that whoyomamma is in the house get set for your locker room to be torn apart. TJ is TO made over. Palmer will throw at least 2 INT’s this week and TJ will throw a biatch fit because he’s not getting the ball.

But honestly, I wish you team nothing but success!!! I want that other 1st rounder!! Undoubtedly the most lop-sided trade in NFL history!!! LMAO

Goooooo RRRAAAIIIIDDDDUUUHHHSSSS!

38. getweird4u says: Nov 3, 2011 1:18 PM

It’s time to move on, Andrew.

Can’t say I blame him.

————————————————–
    Yeah because the raydas are such a model’ franchise when was your last playoff appearence?
    Oh yeah that dysfunctional bengal team has been there twice since then.And in ’09 that was in SPITE of ‘ol jelly elbow’s play

39. philtration says: Nov 3, 2011 1:18 PM

So did the Chiefs defense

40. goawayeverybody says: Nov 3, 2011 1:21 PM

I have their playbook down pat too:

1st down: Hand the ball off to Darren or Michael.
    2nd down: Quick dumpoff to Darren or Michael.
    3rd down: Throw the ball to Darrius if he’s open.
    4th down: Punt, provided you didn’t make a first down.

41. realitypolice says: Nov 3, 2011 1:22 PM

I am glad he got that straightened out.

I can’t count the number of times in the last game where I found my shouting at the television:

“WHAT THE H*** IS HE DOING STANDING IN THE HUDDLE LIKE THAT! DIDN’T ANYONE SHOW HIM WHERE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO STAND!?!?!?!?”

I don’t think I could have taken another week of that.

42. andypro18 says: Nov 3, 2011 1:22 PM

Wow, there is just no middle ground in these comments. A few things that are true:
    1. Palmer is not an all-world Pro Bowl QB any more.
    2. It’s unlikely that there are 20 people on the planet who are better at being a QB than Palmer.

His ‘terrible’, ‘washed up’, ‘suckiness’ last year yielded nearly 4000 yds and 26 TDs on a pretty bad team, with a bum wing.

Can’t we just say that Palmer is a pretty darn good QB who is somewhat physically limited from his peak but can still be an effective QB on a solid team?

Or is that too much to ask?

43. realitypolice says: Nov 3, 2011 1:25 PM

buckeyebrownsfan says:
    Nov 3, 2011 12:38 PM
    ================

Maybe he was thinking of Archie “Moonlight” Graham who played for the Steel………………

No, wait. That was a baseball player who later became a doctor.

44. rwf1984 says: Nov 3, 2011 1:34 PM

Now all he needs is the chemistry between him and the WR’s or am I forgetting that he may need to pay attention to what the defense’s are throwing at him!

45. wcman says: Nov 3, 2011 1:35 PM

All I’m reading from naysayers is, the guy isn’t the player he once was, and yet even with a bad elbow, he threw for 4000 yards and 25 TD’s last year on a bad team. He threw a bunch of picks too, but I certainly don’t see a lousy QB looking at those numbers and certainly not if he was playing with an elbow problem. I don’t think we’re going to see probowl caliber Palmer in Oakland, but I don’t think he’s finished as some would like to say either. He’s got a lot of talent around him in Oakland. If he just plays within Jacksons system, I think he’s going to be successful.

46. pwillis52 says: Nov 3, 2011 1:37 PM

Good luck Carson…

… I’m lovin the 9ers/r8ers revival here on the best coast.

How you like us now haters?

47. bdalton1221 says: Nov 3, 2011 1:40 PM

He sucks

48. enders9 says: Nov 3, 2011 1:41 PM

lunarpie says: Nov 3, 2011 12:30 PM

Cincyandrew,

He had the Cincy playbook “down pat” also… We all saw how that ended up…

————————————————

Bengals Defense >>>> Raiders defense

49. enders9 says: Nov 3, 2011 1:42 PM

wcman says: Nov 3, 2011 1:35 PM

————————————————

That’s the problem, you are only looking at the numbers. Those numbers are pretty inflated by the fact that the Bengals were playing from behind 90% of the season.

If you had actually watched him play you’d see how bad he was.

50. justwinbaby29 says: Nov 3, 2011 1:49 PM

We don’t need Palmer to be Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers we just need him to play as well as Jason Campbell was playing and the Raiders will win the AFC west.

Time for talk is over. Just win, baby!

51. gf2711 says: Nov 3, 2011 1:51 PM

Carson spent the bye week playing Tecmo Super Bowl

52. bmadccp says: Nov 3, 2011 1:58 PM

I love how all of you dolts think that you know more about running a football team than the people who do it for a living.

If I need surgery I think I’d rather get it from a surgeon who does the procedure every day than a dude from Cincy who watched 4 seasons of MASH in 1982.

Shut up!

53. bmadccp says: Nov 3, 2011 2:01 PM

And guys, I love the Raiders, but to suggest that we are going to OWN the AFC West this year is a little optimistic…did you SEE the KC game?

If we play solid, error free football for the rest of the year, and if everyone stays healthy, we have an outside shot at the playoffs, at best.

But we don’t play error free, we have been committing stupid penalties and beating ourselves for the last 20 years. Why would that change this week?

54. ownbay says: Nov 3, 2011 2:11 PM

Gonna be angry people in Raidernation if Teblow out plays him on Sunday.

55. autumnwindraider50 says: Nov 3, 2011 2:21 PM

See this
    Raider nation, all the haters…Thats means were doing this right and everyones scared. Silver and black attack!!

56. slickster35 says: Nov 3, 2011 2:29 PM

fallfartfaider50,

Thats not hate. Everyone is laughing, at you, again.

57. Raider-in-PA says: Nov 3, 2011 2:48 PM

I love that every time I see a Raiders headline, there will be haters just crawling out of the woodwork to flap their jaws….

Nobody, even us Raider fans know how Carson is going to play… But you know what? Win, lose or tie… RAIDERS til I DIE!!!

Keep on hating, its the only way you know to cover up your fear of the Silver & Black!!… Plus, get ready, we’re coming for you!!

58. eodmike says: Nov 3, 2011 3:05 PM

Fact: Palmer is an upgrade from Kyle “The Suck” Boller.

Fact: The Raiders have a decent supporting cast, even good to great in some areas.

Fact: The division is entirely winnable.

Fact: The ultimate outcome on the overall worth of the trade will be told in good time. All of the facts above support the Raiders in giving up all they had to in order to sign him.

My take:

Raider fans: Of course they support it (what choice do they have?), they want to win.

Bengal fans: Of course they think its a great lopsided trade (Palmer wasn’t playing anyway), and they hope Palmer fails because he quit on them.

The Steeler fan who posted here: Someone please get that man some decaf and get him back to the ward before he’s missed. Dude, we all know how many Super Bowls “you” have won…many of you remind us 35 times each day here.

59. dasmol says: Nov 3, 2011 3:22 PM

@ lunapie
    “Cincy’s fans are fair weather fans and your o-line was horrible. The Raiders fans are the most loyal in the NFL …”

That’s rich. raiduh fans calling someone else fairweather. raiduhs are the biggest bandwagon of fairweather fans EVER.

60. samoanjungle says: Nov 3, 2011 3:52 PM

Uhhh Carson, you are going to have to back up what you say on Sunday.
    You throw a couple more picks after saying you have the playbook down and… well we will see.
    Good luck though.

61. 1acrowskids says: Nov 3, 2011 4:01 PM

wcman says “If he just plays within Jacksons system, I think he’s going to be successful.”

——–

Bellicek has a system ….Hue’s has systemic damage.

62. paxtonboyd says: Nov 3, 2011 5:10 PM

Prior to Oakland, Palmer had the same offensive coordinator for his entire career and that didn’t stop it from raining picks in Paul Brown Stadium for nearly a decade.

63. bmadccp says: Nov 3, 2011 5:25 PM

Washed up?

Lots of people thought Jim Plunkett was washed up before he came to Oakland. The Chiefs fans all thought Gannon was washed up too. Only time will tell.

Changing organizations can (and often does) breathe new life into a veteran player. We ought to know the real answer on Monday thought. Until then it’s all speculation and trolling by the haters.