Governor, legislators vow to pass Vikings stadium bill

AP

The roller coaster ride that has become the push for a Vikings stadium continues to twist and turn and climb and drop.  A day after it appeared that the plan was dead in the water, thanks to fresh opposition to a special session later this month, Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton and legislative leaders have now vowed to get the project approved.

Per Pat Kessler of WCCO-TV, Dayton and GOP lawmakers have pledged to pass a stadium bill, with gaming as the primary funding source.

After a couple of days of bad news, that’s good news.  But there likely will be more bad news.  Then good news.  Then bad news.  Then finally a decision.

Hopefully.

88 responses to “Governor, legislators vow to pass Vikings stadium bill

1. I find it hard to believe that the state of Minnesota will allow the team to leave. Being from MN I hear mixed feelings about the stadium issue but everyone will benefit from a stadium. The Vikings will stay, we will get a Superbowl, and better shot at future NCAA Basketball tournaments. It will happen.

2. It’s interesting that the tweet says they plan to pass the bill “this year,” which implies that it will happen in 2011. That means there would be a special session and they wouldn’t wait until late January for the regular session. That only makes sense because they lose whatever leverage they have once the Vikings’ lease expires Jan. 1.

3. They vow this and swear that… But it does not mean anything until there is a signature on the bottom of a check.

4. Well sure, you get to keep the vikes, but at what cost? THink of all the families that will be ruined by the gambling. Why don’t you let them go cheer for a real champion and help keep MN families together.

5. This makes the most sense…….the Republicans in Minnesota weren’t going to vote a tax for a stadium.

I can’t wait what the opposition will say to this…..”oh we can’t have more gamimng in this economy”……or….”there’s much more to iron out”……or……”the environmental impact in Arden Hills”…..etc.

I applaud Dayton for making a firm stand. Dayton basically says fine, no taxes. Vote on the gaming resolution, then. The legislature can’t wash their hands now…..make them vote. Any legislator that’s against it…….the public and all Viking fans, and citizens that want the 7000 permanent jobs that will come from the stadium effort, will know!!!

I love what Dayton is doing here!

6. should be interesting to see how this twist unfolds. they’re saying the bill will be tied to “a site,” but they’re not yet naming that site. W/ the biggest opportunity for gambling expansion being at Block E in downtown Minneapolis, seems like there will be a good chance that Minneapolis will be the site. If that’s the case, we’ll see Zygi’s true colors — if it’s not near land that he can develop, a la Arden Hills, I have a feeling he won’t support it. time will tell.

7. This is clearly a done deal. After all, when has a politician ever backed out of a pledge?

8. This needs to happen. The Humphrey/Metro/WTF/Mall of America Dome/Field has been a dump since the get go.

Twins and Gophers have given that place the heave-ho. After the Vikes leave, give it the long awaited bulldozer.

9. Hope it doesn’t happen but the Minnesota politicians are probably just paying lip service to Viking fans. The thought of a team in LA is almost as bad as a London team.

10. I’ll do my part by giving $100,000 gaming money down on 10-1 odds that the legislators will blow it by building the stadium in the suburbs.

11. Not a Vikings fan, but I don’t want them to move. I hope the bill gets passed. Goodell wants a team in LA asap – so, expect no help from the NFL.

12. I’m sick and tired of this emotional rollar coaster we Viking fans have been subjected too! I just want it to be over. I don’t really care what the decision is anymore…but for the love of all that is good and holy…MAKE A DECISION!!!

13. I’m not a big fan of corporate welfare, but if the Vikings leave Minnesota it will be over principle, not fiscal sense.

The state portion is around $350M. Finance that over a 20 year bond issue and you get roughly $25M per season state contribution, figuring in some interest.

The state income tax rate in Minnesota for the highest bracket is 7.85%. Figure an average team payroll of $150M (players, coaches, staff) over that time. The income taxes alone get you about $12M per season, or almost halfway there.

Add in the stadium construction jobs and investment, all of the associated businesses like hotels, restaurants, parking lots, etc. that benefit from having a pro team, and it is surprising that the State of Minnesota isn’t begging for the pen to sign this deal.

14. idolized1 says: I think I speak for the majority of people when I say that no city deserves to lose their team.

Los Angeles Rams fans agree.

15. Well, I am not getting my hopes up at all if that is what is meant by the article! Today a article seems bright and tomorrow (maybe even today) will come out with a disappointing article on the subject. I think not just the Vikings fans (like myself) want this issue to be done and over with. Starting to spam up the NFL news if you know what I mean!

16. Now it’s time for all you haters to eat crow and be jealous. Our new stadium is gonna make Lambeau look like a old trailer farm.

17. Why would anyone believe this?

Dayton has been “pledging” to get Wilf a sweetheart stadium deal for over a year and the only thing he has done so far is show he can’t deliver on his promises.

The fact is that once it was determined that a public referendum (aka DEMOCRACY) was going to decide this issue, the folks in favor of corporate welfare for the Vikes knew the game was over.

18. Is the state of Minnesota so in love with Farve that now they have to act like him…

We have funding…No we don’t…Yes we will…But we have to have a vote…Not this year…Maybe this year…

Just get it done so we can all move on!

19. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:17 PM
    ————————————–

But then we would have to associate ourselves with the likes of you. That’s enough for anyone to completely disregard that thought. Congratulations on keeping the Packer fanbase from growing.

20. How long before the “LA Viqueen” comments start flooding the board?

As most level-headed Packer fans will admit, keeping the Vikings in the Twin Cities is best for both teams.

Or the Packer’s plane crashes.

Admit it, ya damned drunken Sconnies, you need us as much as we hate you…or something like that.

21. bmcgrath2 says: Nov 3, 2011 1:28 PM

“Where are all those “Welcome to LA” losers now?”

Nice blanket generalization. Especially when there’s still nothing concrete going on. Vows and pledges are still words, and at last check, words are still just words.

Time will tell.

‘Till then, enjoy what you have now before it’s gone. 🙂

22. oh boy…Let’s gamble! Now I can see why that state is primarily a “blue state” and on the verge of bankruptcy. Not very bright!

23. “The MAJORITY of Minnesota voters have put the legislature on notice that a debt ridden state that can’t pay it’s teachers or fix it’s bridges surely cannot be handing out money to billionaires.”

Couldn’t the same argument be made that if they’re going to use gaming money for a stadium, couldn’t they use gaming money for things the citizens need versus what they want?

24. If the funding comes from a casino in Block E I am for it as long as the proposed casino is higher scale/classy and we can price out/market away all the rif raff down there from coming in.

25. You can say it’s stupid or whatever you want. If they fail to get this done. THIS YEAR! They are all gone. bah bye. Have a nice day and don’t mess with sports fans. We’re crazy.

26. Let it be true. It sounds good, but can someone explain why this won’t run into same opposition that has stalled everything else. I understand its gaming revenue versus a tax hike. But whenever anyone mentions expanded gaming around here people go nuts about it. This will bring opposition from Native Americans to “mommies against having fun wirh ur $”. Were about to hear from every wacko from every nook and cranny that has nothing better to do than piss off “viking fans”
    •Dayton for President 2017•

27. Don’t have a dog (or tiger) in this fight.
    Just know that for the 40+ years I’ve been watching the NFL there has been a team in MN.
    Would hate to see that change.

28. As I posted two days ago, when the story was about no agreement, I said this will go back and forth in a game of chicken.

In the end a deal will get done. The NFL does NOT want the Vikings to leave Minnesota, unless it is an absolute last resort.

My guess is a one year lease extension, to iron out a plan.

29. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:17 PM
    ————————————————–

A real champion….like the Patriots? Yeah if it comes to the Vikings leaving I guess I could live with that.

30. captaintriumph says: Nov 3, 2011 1:37 PM

———————————————-
    Lambeau Field already is an old trailer farm !!!

31. captaintriumph, I’m a Packer fan and sincerely hope the Vikes stay in Minnesota and that you get a shiny new stadium (hopefully open). You should probably make a pilgrimage to Lambeau Field once before you disparage it.

32. put a retractable roof on it and then never close it for football games, and no heaters on the MN sidelines, either. that always messed with the Rams’ heads

33. Just over the border in Sioux Falls SD, we are debating spending $115 million for an events center to bring in a few concerts and conventions. It seems pretty easy to justify a $350 million contribution for a football stadium that actually generates an economy of its own. Heck, the little prarie city of Sioux Falls would probably be glad to pony up $350 million to get the Vikings to town. We would still let Minnesotan’s come to watch 🙂

34. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:17 PM

__

35. sevensixtwonato says:
    Nov 3, 2011 2:17 PM
    Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:17 PM
    ————————————————–

__
    The Pats haven’t won jack schit in the last several years.

36. And somehow we, the citizens of MN, continue to be held hostage by je rk from Jersey with dollar signs in his eyes. Hey Ziggy, can I help you pack for LA?

37. minnesotablizzard says:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:54 PM
    ——————–

Sounds like if you had your way this would be a private club that could turn anyone they pleased away at the door — which isn’t exactly a recipe for generating maximum profit from a casino. I won’t begin to extrapolate what your criteria would be for who is allowed in and who’s turned away, because I don’t want to offend you. Too late?

Wake up. Casinos make a fortune off people who can’t actually afford to spend their money on gambling, but can’t seem to stop themselves from pumping quarters into slot machines. “Riff-raff” or “high society,” casinos can’t afford to discriminate.

38. 6kings says: Nov 3, 2011 2:43 PM

————————————————

And your point is a good one. How many OTHER state funded buildings have been built in Minnesota? My guess would be way more than the $350 million dollars over a TEN year period as proposed in the Arden Hills site.

The politicians in Minnesota are foolish as well as the posters who complain about corporate welfare.

39. @Snarkzilla…I have been reading your comments that last couple of days with regards to the Vikings stadium issue! I just want to say thanks! You are truly a classy person!!

And to let you and others know, I am a Vikings fan who has been to Lambeau Field. I took my son there when he was 13 (he’s a Packer fan…it’s a long story). Anyway, I found the experience very enjoyable…and I wished that the Vikings could play in an outdoor stadium once more!

Even when some Cheeseheads found out that I was a Vikings fan, they treated me with some gentle ribbing, but they were very nice folks.

You represent what I’ve experienced to be true about Packer fans in Green Bay. There are others who post here…Packers fans and Vikings fans…that are embarrasments to both fan bases!

Again, thanks for your classy postings.

40. bozosforall says:
    Nov 3, 2011 2:46 PM
    The Pats haven’t won jack schit in the last several years
    ————————————————–

The point was that I was picking any team other that the Packers, so I could kick the troll a little that I was replying to.

41. brewdogg says:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:42 PM
    Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:17 PM
    ————————————–

—————
    Couldnt have said it any better myself. Way to be an ‘ambassador’ for your fanbase there Carl. Its the likes of you which ruin the image of the Packer fanbase so no thanks on your invite.

42. bozosforall says:
    Nov 3, 2011 2:46 PM
    sevensixtwonato says:
    Nov 3, 2011 2:17 PM
    Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:17 PM
    ————————————————–

__
    The Pats haven’t won jack schit in the last several years.
    ———
    Theyve won more titles in the past 10 years than the Packers have in the same time period. Whats your point?

43. Gambling might actually fix this problem. If they let Vikings fans bet on the Vikings, they’ll have enough for two stadiums.

44. “Why would Minnesotans want to cheer for the Steelers? Because one measly title in nearly 20 years certainly doesn’t make the Packers “real champions”.”

I don’t really care if Viking fans cheer for the Packers (if the tables were turned, there’s no way I’d jump on the Vikings bandwagon), but I hate when people are factually incorrect.

It’s currently 2011 which means that in the last 20 years, the Packers have won two SBs (’96 and ’10). Now since you compared them to the Steelers, please note that the Steelers have also won two SBs during that time period. Both are tied for second with the Broncos in terms of SBs won in the last 20 years (or tied for third if you want to argue semantics in that with two tied for first, there is no second place). The Cowboys and Pats have won 3 a piece – which hardly blows the Packers out of the water in terms of somebody being or not being a “real champion.”

Now if the 7-0 Pack wins the SB this year, do they qualify as real champs then with 3 SBs in 16 years?

45. Enjoy those new taxes Minnesotans so the Billionaire owner can have his new suite on the 50 yard line while you watch from home or the rafters!

46. Wow, well I guess you guys are all for corporate welfare for the rich and against families.

By the way, has anybody checked in with the Indian Gaming Lobbyists yet to see how they feel about this plan? I think they might have an opinion.

47. Why not issue a bond to cover the states contribution. They could then have a state sales tax on all pro football games in the state pay for it, I think 25% would be reasonable. The last thing is the Vikes would have to guarantee to pay any remaining balance at a future time if they decide to relocate out of state or even just out of arena.

Everybody wins, the state gets whatever extra tourist revenue, the fans get to keep the team, and the Vikes get their new stadium. It’d be paid for by the users of the service and those who wont benefit from it don’t have to pay for it.

What do gamblers have to do with football (other than sports betting obviously)? Why should they have to pay for a stadium unless they choose to attend a game there.

48. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 3, 2011 4:40 PM
    ____________

Gambling may ruin families, but alcohol has ruined your whole state.

49. rcali says:
    Nov 3, 2011 4:37 PM
    ____________

I don’t remember the article mentioning anything about new taxes. I don’t gamble, so the stadium is free for me. And I think the guy putting up several hundred million of his own dough is entitled to a suite on the 50-yard line.

50. smoothjimmyapollo says:
    Nov 3, 2011 4:28 PM

————————————————–
    Am I the only one who is reminded of last nights South Park episode by this post?

51. Carl Gerbschmidt, try a little less hypocrisy. Lambeau Field was built via a bond issue and the renovation happened because of an increased sales tax rate in Brown County that the voters passed by a 53%-47% margin.

52. So, in a round about way, a portion of the NFL is being funded by gambling. Nice tie in. Roger won’t be happy.

53. I am still trying to figure out if this is such a great deal, why wasn’t it done before. Maybe because it isn’t quite as easy to figure this out as we are making it.

No matter how much new gaming they bring in, it isn’t all new money. People will just switch where they are now doing their gambling. One of the local bars in our town sells pull tabs for the local athletic association, now how many of the people who buy those pulltabs are going to switch to buy the gaming associated with the Vikes. No new money being spent, just reallocated from someplace else. Let’s put in a new casino, again, people will stop going to the old casino and start going to the new one. No new money, just redistribution of where it goes. What happens when the old casino goes out of business because the new casino took all of their customers.

All I am trying to say is that new gaming and new gambling doesn’t mean new money. It also doesn’t mean more state income taxes.

Somehow or the other, this is going to cost us more money in the long run.

54. Many of the commenters keep implying that the state only needs to come up with 350 million to finance a stadium. I could be wrong, but isn’t the state’s contribution now going to be around 650 million dollars?

The previous breakdown I read was 407 million from the Vikings, 350 million from Ramsey County, and 300 million from the state. My understanding now is that the state will have to cover Ramsey County’s contribution because they will not allow the county to raise the money by a sales tax. Let me know if I have this wrong.

Whether it is 350 million or 650 million, the state would be extremely stupid and shortsighted to let the Vikings leave.

55. Hey Viking Fans – make sure that shiny new stadium has an extra large trophy room. Oh wait . . .
    Congrats nonetheless – looks like the public finally woke up.

56. ee00ee says:
    Nov 3, 2011 4:54 PM
    ___________

Nobody’s hurting the gamblers. They can choose where they want to gamble. Go to the state-run casino and some of your money goes toward the stadium. Go to the Indian casino and none of your money goes to the stadium. It costs the same either way.

57. packercpa says:
    Nov 3, 2011 5:23 PM

Somehow or the other, this is going to cost us more money in the long run.
    ___________

The reason it’s new money is because the state currently gets no money from Indian-run casinos. The old casinos may make less money, but I still think they’re going to be doing just fine. At least the state will finally get a cut of it.

58. What a Grand idea. So I don’t have to drive to Hinckley or Mystic Lake to gamble? Shut up about the wrecking homes thing. Let’s get it done and keep us fans from severe depression. No more Norm Green debacles.

59. The Phantom Stranger says:
    Nov 3, 2011 5:04 PM

Gambling may ruin families, but alcohol has ruined your whole state.
    ___________________________________
    And to think, Minnesota is the State that doesn’t allow Liquor Stores to be open on Sunday. And beer is cut off at the end of the 3rd Quarter of Viking home games as well. Seems to me Minnesotans are the ones that can’t handle the alcohol responsibly.

60. pack13queens0 says:
    Nov 3, 2011 7:23 PM
    The Phantom Stranger says:
    Nov 3, 2011 5:04 PM

Gambling may ruin families, but alcohol has ruined your whole state.
    ___________________________________
    ————-
    OR…or…now this may sound crazy – its because they stop selling beers at the end of the 3rd quarter and dont have liquor stores open on Sundays that makes Minnesotans handle alcohol responsibly. Wow, youre not that bright are you? But hey, youve got the number guy in the whole country who can make the best lefts with his car right!?

61. I’d love to own a U-Haul rental place in Mankato / Eden Prarie come February. If McNabb isn’t released by then, he better play close attention to what is going on. He may wake up and find himself in an empty building.

62. snarkzilla says:Nov 3, 2011 5:09 PM

_________

How am I hypocritical? I just believe gambling ruins family. I’m not against public money for stadiums. They can have a referendum if they want, although I’m guessing it doesn’t turn out as well as it did in Brown County…

63. bozosforall says:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:09 PM
    Cue the lame Packer fan comments from the likes of Carl Cumsmacker, etc.

Yea you Vikings fans never make a hole comments 2 championships dummy 2 more in 15 years than the Vikings in 50 years

another 2 brilliant minds
    purpleman527 says:
    Nov 3, 2011 2:20 PM
    captaintriumph says: Nov 3, 2011 1:37 PM

———————————————-
    Lambeau Field already is an old trailer farm !!!

18 thumbs up 2 thumbs down yep proves how great Viking fans are
    That’s why Lambeau it is considered by most as the best profootball experience that can be had
    Another mastermind proving the classiness of Viking fans

And finally from this mental giant
    moezilla says:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:46 PM
    How long before the “LA Viqueen” comments start flooding the board?

Or the Packer’s plane crashes.

26 up 5 down

And you clowns wonder why some Packer fans want Minnesota to lose the Vikings? Damn straight and if more people heard these kinds of things from the Minnesota faithful and how the Viking fans overwhelming thought they were great thoughts they would too.

You Fans have a crappy team an even crappier stadium and are the Hash mark on the Underwear of NFL fans wishing a whole team dies IN A PLANE CRASH!!! And even if that god forbid would happen the Packers would win ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP before your team would

In summation SKOL LA VIKINGS

64. Minnysoda, the points you made are valid, those guys are @ s s hats and as a Vikings fan I agree with you 100%. But you cant lump us all in with those clowns, we all are not complete trash.

65. @minnysoda

Take a step back from your boiling over kettle of Vikings hate and look again. Here, I’ll repost it for you.

“Rivalry games between our two teams make watching Minny’s woeful season all the more bearable. And vice versa….when Rodgers retires.
    Or the Packer’s plane crashes.”

He’s basically saying that, barring a fatal catastrophe involving most of the team, the Packers will be a good team until Rodgers retires. I’m pretty sure that was supposed to be a credit to the team. But, to paraphrase…. If you go through life looking for…ahem, fecal matter…what are you going to find?

66. Packer Fans always comment hoping the Vikings leave because they know whats coming when Ponder gets it a little more. They already can’t stop AP and if we finally have a QB watch out. Remember 09??

67. Given that both state and local congressional “leaders” don’t seem willing to come to any sort of consensus regarding most anything, I will say this:

If partisan bickering results in yet another Minnesota team leaving the state, I will not be sad in the least if none of them get voted back in. Don’t mess with my Vikings!!

Many thanks to Gov. Dayton for standing firmly on this issue.