Kevin Kolb isn’t a big fan of the “turf toe” diagnosis

Ravens' Kruger sacks Cardinals' Kolb from behind during the second half of their NFL football game in Baltimore Reuters

Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb has turf toe.  And he doesn’t like that.

Not just because he prefers to be healthy.  Kolb doesn’t like the name.  On Wednesday, he told KGME-AM radio (via Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic) that the term “turf toe” makes him sound like a “weenie.”

“I remember Deion Sanders was the first one I have ever saw that had ‘turf toe,’ and I was thinking the same thing as a fan: ‘What?  Why is [he] out for two weeks with a turf toe?‘” Kolb said.  “Then you get one and realize it’s a little more painful than it comes across as.”

According to Somers, Kolb also has a mid-foot sprain and a bone bruise, but not the dreaded LisFranc injury.  Kolb moved from a walking boot to a tennis shoe on Wednesday.

“He has come a long way in two days,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “That thing was swollen and black and blue. It’s going to be how much movement he can get back into it and if the swelling will go down.”

If Kolb can’t play, John Skelton will get the start.  Given that the Cards are 1-6 under Kolb, fans realize that the team can’t do much worse with last year’s fifth-round draft pick.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Kevin Kolb isn’t a big fan of the “turf toe” diagnosis”
  1. medialovesthecowboys says: Nov 3, 2011 6:42 AM

I’m so not surprised by Kolb’s numbers. And I would bet I’m not alone. What exactly did this guy do in Philly that this whole league fell in love with him? Matt Schaub, Matt Cassel are two other guys that showed flashes and then everyone wants to anoint them as Franchise QBs. If I’m Arizona, I’m content with tanking the season, going out in FA next year and picking up someone to bookend Fitz, and then getting Barkley or Luck. Both of whom are upgrades over easily the most overrated FA pick up of the decade thus far.

2. seytonmanning says: Nov 3, 2011 6:49 AM

He’s right.when I was younger and first heard about it it sound like such a pu#syboy injury I couldn’t believe how it kept players out of a lineup. Then I looked up pictures of it.oh my God is it bad.it also makes me wonder why in 2011 there isn’t better way to prevent/ help if heal faster.turf toe has ended some players careers. Time to get a better solution to fixing it

3. xstaticonradio says: Nov 3, 2011 6:52 AM

who cares what the 2nd best QB on the Cardinals has to say?

4. vtboarder says: Nov 3, 2011 7:17 AM

Turf toe or not Kolb is a weenie.

5. str82dvd says: Nov 3, 2011 7:45 AM

Don’t use a record to tell me how good a quarterback is. You tell me Cam Newton is Jesus Christ with every loss.

6. sj39 says: Nov 3, 2011 7:46 AM

“Fans” that don’t know have always made fun of the injury. Because of its name they think it is some insignificant injury like a stubbed toe when it is actually one of the most painful and usually the foot is so swollen you can’t even put a shoe on.

7. fin72 says: Nov 3, 2011 8:42 AM

A “weenie”? This shows you exactly why Kolb will never be a successful QB in this league. Some guys just don’t have it upstairs.

8. realitypolice says: Nov 3, 2011 8:55 AM

Turf Toe may sound like a sissy injury, but it’s no joke.

And I am telling you, turf toe hurts as much as any of them. I couldn’t even get a shoe on my right foot for two weeks. I couldn’t even touch my big toe without wanting to scream.

So, yeah, I could see missing a game with Turf Toe.

9. geo1113 says: Nov 3, 2011 9:23 AM

“If I’m Arizona, I’m content with tanking the season, going out in FA next year and picking up someone to bookend Fitz, and then getting Barkley or Luck. Both of whom are upgrades over easily the most overrated FA pick up of the decade thus far.”

So you would do nothing about the porous offensive line that has Kolb running for his life each and every down??????????

10. wrossi81 says: Nov 3, 2011 9:26 AM

medialovesthecowboys:
    _______________________

He threw for over 300 yards in each of his first 2 games, and in one of the few games he started in 2010 was named Offensive Player of the Week. There was reason to think that he was a quality QB even though the Eagles were going with Vick.

11. raymondtx says: Nov 3, 2011 9:27 AM

Realitypolice: “I’ve broken both collarbones, 4 ribs, 6 fingers, dislocated my elbow, blown out my knee, broken my nose 7 times and had a sports hernia.”

And, that was all in just one drunken night.

12. drshakedown74 says: Nov 3, 2011 9:46 AM

Turf Toe isn’t a big fan of Kevin Kolb either.

13. stikolaboloni says: Nov 3, 2011 10:06 AM

From a normal who doesn’t get paid millions to play football, the only way I finally truly got over my bout with turf toe a couple yrs ago was to pretty much stay off it for a month. Anything shorter than that, the simplest movement can flare it back up. It really is a debilitating injury that keeps you from even walking without pain every step, and I for one never really understood the severity until I got it. Heck it ended Deion’s career

14. laeaglefan says: Nov 3, 2011 10:23 AM

If Turf Toe is as serious an injury as has been described, perhaps the medical profession should come up with a name for it that people won’t laugh at.

15. cmoney20 says: Nov 3, 2011 10:35 AM

I dont know if I prefer Kevin Kolb’s strategy of running in a straight line backwards to avoid pressure or Tim Tebow’s strategy of running around in circles in the pocket with his head down to avoid pressue. All I know is that its at the point every time Arizona or Denver snaps the ball I start laughing from the anticipation that I might be about to see the funniest thing ever.

16. realitypolice says: Nov 3, 2011 1:17 PM

@raymondtx:

But it was a great night.