Dez Bryant turns 23, says he doesn’t need to change

Dez Bryant AP

Friday was Dez Bryant’s 23rd birthday, and he took the opportunity to address the media and say that age isn’t going to change his personality.

“I said if I go out and change myself, I wouldn’t be me,” Bryant told the Dallas Morning News. “I feel like I’m just going to go out with the same mindset each and every day in practice and the game and go from there.”

Bryant’s comments on Friday led to headlines saying Bryant acts like he’s 23 going on 13, and there’s been criticism of Bryant this season for the way he acts on the sidelines during games.

Bryant doesn’t buy that criticism.

“I just think it’s crazy,” Bryant said. “If I just go off on the sideline and just go yell at one of my teammate’s face and just act all crazy and berserk that’s out of line. What I do I feel like I try to do is motivate my teammates and I expect them to do me the same way and do the same thing. That’s all I’m doing. It won’t change. That’s how I play the game. I’m just very passionate and emotional about the game. Nothing negative about it.”

And to anyone who does see anything negative about it, Bryant has some tough news: He’s not changing.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Dez Bryant turns 23, says he doesn’t need to change”
  1. eaglessuperfan says: Nov 6, 2011 10:26 AM

This guy has so so much to learn. Starting to look like the next generations T.O.

2. arsement says: Nov 6, 2011 10:30 AM

Kid, you don’t have a clue. We all grow up eventually. Well… most of us do.

3. welzy says: Nov 6, 2011 10:30 AM

“Dez Bryant turns 23, says he doesn’t need to change”
    —————————-

His diaper?

4. pr3zths says: Nov 6, 2011 10:31 AM

Good. Hey I bet any good amount of money if LeBron had that type of attitude he wouldn’t be ringless right now.

5. samoanjungle says: Nov 6, 2011 10:31 AM

It’s great when a 23 year old has it all figured out

6. ajc85 says: Nov 6, 2011 10:32 AM

“If I go out and change myself, I wouldn’t be me,”

Sounds like something Philoso-raptor would say

7. vmannj says: Nov 6, 2011 10:32 AM

He gets criticized for what people THINK they see on camera. In reality, his teammates and coaches have said that he’s never said a negative word about anyone during games. Yes, he has pleaded his case to get the ball more. But so did Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Michael Irvin, and several other HOF receivers. Just like any other story about the Cowboys, you should never let FACTS get in the way of your negative opinions. Go ahead and prove you’re a hater by giving me a thumbs down.

8. jpres2001ss says: Nov 6, 2011 10:34 AM

Hey Dez, ask T.O. how that attitude turned out for him.

9. ctemp03 says: Nov 6, 2011 10:36 AM

I don’t have a problem with him trying to motivate his teammates. It’s the media who blows it out of praportion trying to make it see like hes a mini T.O. On the sidelines.

10. jpb12 says: Nov 6, 2011 10:36 AM

So he plans to play all 30 minutes

11. jonasgrumbyoftx says: Nov 6, 2011 10:37 AM

Ah yes, the ages I remember knowing everything … 17 & 22 (so I was a year early).

Merely age appropriate behavior. =)

12. tfbuckfutter says: Nov 6, 2011 10:42 AM

The brain doesn’t stop developing until the age of 25. He may think he’s done changing but he’s not.

Hopefully he (and really all people at that age) will fully mature but it doesn’t always happen, particulalry when success occurs before development finishes.

13. redbullenergydrink says: Nov 6, 2011 10:43 AM

Who cares whether he changes or not… JUST PERFORM ON THE FIELD.

14. nomoreseasontix says: Nov 6, 2011 10:44 AM

23 and broke by 35.
    What a shame.

15. joyjoy69 says: Nov 6, 2011 10:44 AM

Whatever. Jones got exactly what he wanted when he took Bryant: a talented diva. Are we all going to act surprised now when he acts like one?! Besides, this is America: where most 23 year olds act like 13 year olds…

16. moneyfool11 says: Nov 6, 2011 10:48 AM

Great to be 23 and achieved nothing in NFL but yet have everything figured out. Can you say CHOKER!

17. arm57romg says: Nov 6, 2011 10:48 AM

Talk about taking an article out of context. If you real the WHOLE article he talks about how Garrett pushes Emotion and Passion (which Dez exherts). He also said he hasn’t been frustrated this year and would still be learning 5-6 years from now to better his career.

You guys just hate the Cowboys and never tell the whole story. Guess thats what it takes to be a shock analyst.

18. qdog112 says: Nov 6, 2011 10:48 AM

“They just wanted it more”, is what you always here when one team beats another. Yet, when a player acts like he wants it more, he is always criticized for acting like it. Players like Bryant and TO will always stand out among players who talk one way and player another.

When the two meet – you get players who want to talk it and walk it.

19. geniusesq says: Nov 6, 2011 10:56 AM

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

20. Patriot42 says: Nov 6, 2011 10:56 AM

“You guys just hate the Cowboys”

YES WE DO!!

21. paulsmith107 says: Nov 6, 2011 10:59 AM

Not for nothing but all this next generation TO talk is stupid. The guy is a competitor he isn’t begging for the ball he isn’t calling the QB or the play caller out. He is exactly what this team needs some fire and passion. I have been watching the cowboys since the mid 80’s and when Irvin got here he was the same way, yelling on the sideline getting in guys faces to get them amped up was he a TO no. So let’s stop the nonsense and bashing of a 23 year old he is who he is and I wish we had 52 guys on this team with that passion and we wouldn’t be so damn soft and mediocre

22. deebo92 says: Nov 6, 2011 11:03 AM

Nobody likes you when you’re 23

23. thejuddstir says: Nov 6, 2011 11:03 AM

31 other NFL teams are also hoping he “doesn’t change”………………..it’s always harder to be objective about ur team’s player, cowboy fans, so u keep sticking up for the diva wanna-be all-pro. One idiot compared dez to Rice, Carter, Irvin and other HOF’ers….. these guys became divas AFTER they accomplished something on the football field and in checkin’ the stats, I see where they all showed up to play the second half of every game, LMAO

24. trbowman says: Nov 6, 2011 11:04 AM

Dez turns 23, still delusional.

25. doe22us says: Nov 6, 2011 11:06 AM

Oh childish exuberance

26. das14 says: Nov 6, 2011 11:10 AM

@jpres2001ss. Spot on, it’s all well and good now but could be over in the blink of an eye. Better start caring more and remain mindful of your attitude or you’ll become a victim unto yourself.

27. sdjay76 says: Nov 6, 2011 11:11 AM

vmannj says: Nov 6, 2011 10:32 AM

______________________________________

that’s the problem with bryant. cowboy fans have already elevated him to hall of fame status when he’s done absolutely nothing to warrant that kind of comparison. if im a “hater” for telling the truth, then so be it. if you want to prop up an immature kid like that on a pedestal then have at it.

28. snarkzilla says: Nov 6, 2011 11:12 AM

>Players like Bryant and TO will always stand out among players who talk one way and player another.

I assume you typo’d “played”.

For all of TO’s drama and instability, he easily has HOF numbers. You could look it up.

29. birdbrainsnj says: Nov 6, 2011 11:16 AM

He learned that he can’t get open against Nnamdi at least.

30. mashoaf says: Nov 6, 2011 11:26 AM

Maybe he should get in Thomas Jones face to give advice.

31. cleverbob says: Nov 6, 2011 11:38 AM

As an Eagles fan, I am glad to read this.

32. irodex says: Nov 6, 2011 11:43 AM

Dez Bryant – this years self infatuated black prima donnaa. Who will it be next year?

33. thejuddstir says: Nov 6, 2011 11:44 AM

Bronco fans > Tebow
    Titan fans > CJzero
    Jets fans > Sanchez, Rex
    Seattle fans > P. Carroll
    Cowboy fans> Romo, F. Jones, Dez, Jerrah
    the all-pro dreamer fans

34. citiciti says: Nov 6, 2011 11:50 AM

YO-YO-YO

35. threadmonster15 says: Nov 6, 2011 11:51 AM

He has a point. If you act like everyone else, you arent being yourself. Im just glad im not a 23 year old baby that wont carry someones pads.

36. thejuddstir says: Nov 6, 2011 11:51 AM

@sdjay76………you mention “FACTS” in your defense of dez b…………could you give me some? I can give you some FACTS: dez hasn’t did anything in 2 years, dez has trouble showing up for the second half of games, dez has trouble running routes (per his coaches), dez has enough off field baggage for a 32yr. old much less 23. Fact is, Jerrah Jones didn’t want to miss out on the “next Randy Moss” again and he ignored Dez’s off field problems. Even Randy Moss did it on the field (starting with his first year) and then became a diva……dez thinks diva first and the rest will come, LMAO

37. cowboyfan45 says: Nov 6, 2011 11:55 AM

Dez, the T.O diva in the making…

38. sdjay76 says: Nov 6, 2011 12:02 PM

@thejuddstir

try reading. i wasn’t defending him.

39. bennyd720 says: Nov 6, 2011 12:22 PM

I can’t wait until I read articles of how Dez is embarrassingly even more broke than he is now when his career is over…

40. b3nz0z says: Nov 6, 2011 12:26 PM

it’s simple, really: when a linebacker yells at his teammates he’s a leader. when a WR yells at his teammates he’s a diva.

41. granadafan says: Nov 6, 2011 12:32 PM

Ah, I remember when I was immature in early 20s too. I thought I knew everything and had it all figured out. Hopefully Dez will grow up soon and doesn’t end up broke by his late 20s.

42. deebo92 says: Nov 6, 2011 12:57 PM

According to my last post, 8 people don’t like Blink 182. I don’t like 8 people.

43. howley1 says: Nov 6, 2011 12:59 PM

That’s right fanbois, believe everything that you read. If the media says he was screaming on the sidelines like a baby and his teammates say he was trying to fire up his teammates, he was obviously just screaming like a baby.

44. howley1 says: Nov 6, 2011 1:00 PM

———————————————-

much better to be a fry cook?

45. bobhk says: Nov 6, 2011 1:07 PM

This is precisely why cowboys are overhyped. Even an overrated WR who hasn’t accomplished a thing yet get coverage on his 23rd birthday.

46. adirtyplayernamedsue says: Nov 6, 2011 2:41 PM

Good, that just means he will continue to be an average player at best.

47. bobhk says: Nov 6, 2011 4:03 PM

howley1 says:
    Nov 6, 2011 12:59 PM

======
    As opposed to believing everything his teammates are saying. What do you expect from his teammates? To say that he’s screaming like a baby? That would create more drama.
    OTOH, this is the cowboys, so it’s not unrealistic to expect more drama!

48. mwhite28 says: Nov 8, 2011 9:29 AM

I have no idea why everyone is hating on Dez, I bet that every single one of you out there would love to have his talent on your team.