The Chiefs lost their first two games of the season by a combined score of 89-10. Kansas City’s turnaround since then has been one of those stories of the season.
We thought that Chiefs were past that type of performance. We were wrong.
The Dolphins won 31-3 in Arrowhead Stadium to get their first win of the Season Sunday. Here’s what we learned:
1. Matt Moore had the day of his life. He completed 17-of-23 passes for 244 yards and three touchdowns. So many of his throws were darts into tight windows. He also showed great touch.
It was one of the best quarterback performances we’ve seen all year. Seriously.
Reggie Bush had another big day, with 92 yards on the ground and 50 more through the air. He’s done a nice job running North-South the last couple of weeks.
3. This was a classic “letdown” game, but the Chiefs playcalling didn’t help matters. They continually called passes on third-and-short that didn’t work. This should be a running team, but they got too cute too often.
4. Miami won this game up front. The Dolphins had five sacks in the first two and a half quarters. Matt Cassel rushed nine times because he was under duress so often.
Kansas City’s offensive line was manhandled.
5. Miami is now out of pole position for Andrew Luck. Indianapolis is 0-9. The loser of Cardinals-Rams will only have one win.
6. The Chiefs could ill afford this loss. They are 4-4 in the tightly bunched AFC West. After a home game next week against Denver, Kansas City has a brutal stretch of games.
The Chiefs aren’t that talented. They can’t afford to take teams lightly.
Quality teams just don’t lose 31-3 at home to the Dolphins. This one will sting for a while.