Mayock breaks down Tebow, Palmer, AFC West race

Mike Mayock has entered the Cris Collinsworth zone for me.

I could listen to him talk football at any time, for any length of time because I’ll learn something in the process.

We usually cut up the PFT Live segments in the rumor mill, but I know a lot of you out there feel the same way about Mayock, so I’ll just put the whole interview right here.

Mayock breaks down what he saw watching the Raiders-Broncos game on Sunday. He gives his thoughts on Tim Tebow, Carson Palmer, and tells us what he learned from watching Philip Rivers on film this year.

(Also watch Florio use the word “morass” without giggling.)

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
24 Responses to “Mayock breaks down Tebow, Palmer, AFC West race”
  1. joetoronto says: Nov 7, 2011 7:43 PM

Mike Mayock confirmed what I saw yesterday, that Carson Palmer can still rip it. Some of the throws he made were a thing of beauty.

The morons that say his arm is shot are just that, morons.

2. earthtopft says: Nov 7, 2011 8:09 PM

Mayock thinks Tebow will go far with that great bubble butt, but Romanowski thinks he needs morass.

3. radrntn says: Nov 7, 2011 8:14 PM

GO RAIDERS, say what you want but they still control there own destiny….over all the afc west is a huge disappointment. I thought at least two teams were going to the playoffs from afc west, but now only because one has to, one will.

4. dennyg2 says: Nov 7, 2011 8:45 PM

5. jcioffi1485 says: Nov 7, 2011 8:56 PM

It’s not the arm. It’s what’s between the ears.

6. transam7816 says: Nov 7, 2011 9:10 PM

I love mayock. Best analyst….ever. Can’t wait for Thursday football

7. humb0lt says: Nov 7, 2011 9:17 PM

In two games as a Raider, Palmer showed he can still rip completions to opposing defensive backs.

8. nflfan877 says: Nov 7, 2011 9:24 PM

First line was perfect.

Mayock and Collinsworth are great. Still remember how well he called that Seahawks-Saints playoff game last year.

9. mjjoe76 says: Nov 7, 2011 10:05 PM

The more people heap praise and predict Pro Bowl appearances for Andrew Luck, the more I wonder if he will crash and burn.

I’m not saying Luck will fail in the NFL, but he can’t possibly live up to the hype surrounding him. Maybe the team with the first overall pick should trade it away, draft a QB later in the first round, and use the extra picks to address the other holes that no doubt exist on a bad team.

10. kegpack says: Nov 7, 2011 10:53 PM

Mayock is awesome. Why he hasnt got a netwok gig as a #1 analyst is beyond me. I could listen to him all day.

NBC needs to boot Collinsworth’s lame, nasally a$$ and put this guy next to Al Michaels where he belongs.

11. canadianvikingfaniii says: Nov 8, 2011 12:43 AM

I love Mike Mayock, get to hear him call Viknigs preseason games. The guy knows his stuff, very insightful. Probably my favourite analyst. Then Collinsworth…. I can’t stand listening to him. I hate when the Vikings play Sunday night football just because I have to listen to him.

12. turtlefox1 says: Nov 8, 2011 12:49 AM

I’m “fascinated” as well…

13. commitment2excrement says: Nov 8, 2011 1:12 AM

Carson can still rip it all right, right into the opposing teams arms.

14. devinmr711 says: Nov 8, 2011 5:50 AM

Carson Palmer=Rex Grossman

Only difference Carson was actually good before so he gets by.

15. thetruth619 says: Nov 8, 2011 6:12 AM

dennyg2 says: Nov 7, 2011 8:45 PM

_________________________________

Two picks equals the Raiders future??

16. thetechnocrat says: Nov 8, 2011 6:54 AM

I’m going to keep submitting this until it’s posted (unless NBC has decreed that pft can’t let people post negatively about their people)…
    I’m not a fan of Mayock. I can read anything he writes, he’s got a good football mind, but I can’t listen to him.
    Someone pointed out his lisp to me and now it bugs me a little more on each play in a Notre Dame game. Not his fault, but it’s not a voice I’m interested in hearing during a game.

17. steeelfann says: Nov 8, 2011 8:06 AM

Mayock is sooo overrated. Here is a classic:

When New England signed Chad Brown (after he left Seattle), Mayock made a big deal that Chad Brown was a 4-3 linebacker and would have to “learn” the 3-4 defense (no, not just New England’s, the 3-4 defense overall).

Well, Chad Brown was drafted by the Steelers and cut his teeth over the first 5 years of his career in the 3-4 defense.

It was just a typical TV analyst who doesn’t go all the way with detail that a real scout does. Blah, blah, blah.

18. mrgdawg says: Nov 8, 2011 8:22 AM

Haley did a poor job of getting his team ready for the Phins.

19. revrondog says: Nov 8, 2011 8:54 AM

6 interceptions in 2 games. Yeah, Palmer is doing a great job..

20. dukemarc says: Nov 8, 2011 9:18 AM

mrgdawg says: Nov 8, 2011 8:22 AM

Haley did a poor job

——————————–

Let me stop you right there.

21. ticalcaldwell says: Nov 8, 2011 9:41 AM

Carson…..
    Yes he does have a cannon….but you guys are seeing what we saw for years….He would make a few nice throws and score some tds….,but he would also give up picks constantly…..If Carson had no picks or even 1 or 2….would the Raiders have lost that game….think about it….

22. Land Snark says: Nov 8, 2011 9:55 AM

@thetruth619

“Two picks equals the Raiders future??

Given the Bengals track record, those two picks will end up being about as useful as Carson was sitting at home anyways.”

Spot on. The Bengals have gotten 0 value out of picks like Johnathan Joseph, Rey Maualuga, Jermaine Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, A. J. Green and Andy Dalton.

We also know those picks in the Raiders hands would bring the franchise top notch picks like JaMarcus Russell and DBH. So either way they’ll go down the drain.

At least Raiders fans can marvel at Palmer’s accuaracy.

23. Broncofanatic7 says: Nov 8, 2011 11:38 AM

The fact the the zone read option worked so well for Denver is bigger than people think in my opinion.
    I mean this forces the opposing defense to plan a scheme to try and contain that. Since Tebow is so good at making the read and deciding in a split second to keep it or handoff, it’s a big deal.
    Not only does that work so well, but then it opens up so many more options for Denver. If oppossing defense’s are too worried about containg the edge and stopping that run, it’s going to open up that short to intermediate area in the middle of the field.
    That creates more involvement of a TE (big target) for Tebow to get the ball too.
    I’m very excited to see what Denver is going to do with this.
    All this time it was said that the zone read option/spread offense can’t be ran in the NFL…

P.S. Tim Tebow is 6’3″ 245 lbs. built like a LB… he can take some hits… But the more enjoyable thing about watching what he did is that there wasn’t anyone even near him for about 30+ yards on each of those runs. Plus he slid too. Why not after a 40 yard gain on the ground by your QB.
    OPTIONS!!! :)

24. bonniebengal says: Nov 9, 2011 9:55 AM

DennyG2 says: “As a Bengal fan, first of all I want to thank Raider fans for handing the Bengals your future, secondly, write this down…you will NEVER win anything with Palmer at the helm. Who cares how his arm looks, it doesn’t matter when he throws to the wrong team every game in crucial situations.”

That’s right Denny. I’ll second that.