Cam Newton: I’ve failed, I’m not hanging my hat on 2-6

Cam Newton AP

Cam Newton has put together a brilliant rookie season individually, but he’s not happy with where the Carolina Panthers are in the standings. And as far as he’s concerned, that means his rookie year hasn’t really been brilliant at all.

Newton told the 2 Live Stews (via Sports Radio Interviews) that he isn’t surprised by the successes he’s had, but he is surprised that members of the media treat him if he should be thrilled about the way his rookie season has played out. Because he’s not.

“If anything, I feel like I’ve failed myself due to this game is about wins and losses,” Newton said. “And I’m not hanging my hat on no 2-6 season and we still have an opportunity to change that.”

Newton said he’s a long way off from being satisfied with what he’s done and ready to celebrate.

“I really haven’t had the opportunity to just soak it all in and take everything in. But, nor am I trying to just sit back and say, ‘Man, look what I did,’” Newton said. “I still have things that I want to do.”

Those comments are just one more reason the Panthers have to be thrilled to have Newton as their quarterback. It would be easy for Newton to buy into his own hype, but instead he’s focused on what he can do better to make the Panthers better. There’s a lot to like about Cam Newton.

Permalink 97 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
97 Responses to “Cam Newton: I’ve failed, I’m not hanging my hat on 2-6”
  1. 1captain1 says: Nov 9, 2011 4:45 PM

I’d rather have Tebow’s stats and the wins then to have Cam’s and the losses.

Another Jeff George in the making.

2. mexicomarlin says: Nov 9, 2011 4:45 PM

I gotta say…. Cam is da real deal.

3. lunt101 says: Nov 9, 2011 4:46 PM

This kid just continues to impress and impress and impress. Every time I hear him speak I just say to myself — “Wow, he’s a winner.” And I’m not talking about a Tim Tebow, scrappy-type of winner. He’s got all the physical tools of a future Hall of Famer. Yeah, I said it.

4. mjbulls45 says: Nov 9, 2011 4:46 PM

for all obvious purposes we will assume Cam Newton has potential to be an elite NFL QB,

he has shown great promise on the field and his conduct off the field has been outstanding,

all this in a short time as a rookie in the NFL…

ALL I WANT NOW IS AN EXPLANATION FROM TODD MCSHAY , MEL KIPER, AND EVERYONE WHO DOUBTED THIS KID COMING OUT OF COLLEGE.

5. theripster30 says: Nov 9, 2011 4:48 PM

Best 12th round pick in fantasy football history.

6. earthtopft says: Nov 9, 2011 4:49 PM

Yeah, you fail, Horseteeth. Now go jump in front of a bus and do us all a favor.

7. dirtdawg55 says: Nov 9, 2011 4:49 PM

Now Cam is the real deal … And the anti-Ryan to boot. That’s how a professional should talk. Always focused on excellence … Not just talking about it.

As for 1captain1, enjoy your “Tebow wins”. Kordell Stewart won a bunch too. Did you think he was any good?

8. flapjackdaddy says: Nov 9, 2011 4:49 PM

1captain1…you are embarrassing yourself.

9. snowpea84 says: Nov 9, 2011 4:51 PM

Wait? Seriously? Were people expecting him to say, “Yeah. We’re 2-6, but I’m having a good year. So it’s all good.” I mean, who do people think he is, Mike Vick? As in, the year Vick threw 20 TD’s, and the team went nowhere, and he came out and said he had had a good year.
    Kind of like how you can’t design a defense to stop him.

So I guess, yeah, Newton does deserve some credit for not being that kind of a guy.

10. p01ntman says: Nov 9, 2011 4:51 PM

11. icanspeel says: Nov 9, 2011 4:52 PM

I’ve been impressed with Cam so far.. On and Off the field. Sure Carolina won’t get anywhere this year, but with a few adjustments they should become contenders again in the next year or 2.

12. thesmiteofthewicked says: Nov 9, 2011 4:52 PM

1captain1 said

I’d rather have Tebow’s stats and the wins then to have Cam’s and the losses.

Another Jeff George in the making.

………………….

So you’d rather have a significantly worse QB?

Congratulations, you are an idiot when it comes to talent evaluation!

13. buttercheck says: Nov 9, 2011 4:53 PM

Good kid. Love pma.

14. flybirdsfly says: Nov 9, 2011 4:53 PM

The guy sure looks like he can command an offense. Plus he’s a young Mike Vick with a better arm and more patience in the pocket than Mike used to have. Basically he’s better than Mike Vick was in his rookie year. He’ll soon realize he can’t keep putting his body through abuse.

15. jackfnburton says: Nov 9, 2011 4:54 PM

Jimmy who?

16. steelbydesign says: Nov 9, 2011 4:54 PM

The record isn’t Cam’s fault. Yes, some of them are on him as he’s had some costly turnovers, but he’s leaps and bounds ahead of where he should be as a rookie.

If Cam jsut focuses on developing his game, the team will improve as the FO improves the guys around him (mainly on defense).

Get Cam another receiving threat, and get their LB’s healthy, and watch out.

17. ourbaskets says: Nov 9, 2011 4:55 PM

Cam is the real deal. I like his attitude better than his physical attributes and football skills. My only concern is if Jerry doesn’t shore up this team in the offseason. Then panther fans will be angry. If we give Cam a supporting cast on defense and special teams, and weapon or so on offense, then we will be playoff bound next year and Super Bowl bound in 2 years.

Suck on that haters!

18. fatguystrangler says: Nov 9, 2011 4:55 PM

It sounds like Cam Newton refuses to take losing lying down. What a quality to have in a franchise QB. He’ll be a lockeroom leader in no time (if he isn’t already). I continue to be impressed with how conducts himself on the field and his focus on winning and improving.

19. tatum064 says: Nov 9, 2011 4:57 PM

1captain1 says:
    Nov 9, 2011 4:45 PM
    I’d rather have Tebow’s stats and the wins then to have Cam’s and the losses.

Another Jeff George in the making.

======

How many wins does Tebow have again?

20. r8rsfan says: Nov 9, 2011 4:57 PM

Tebow couldn’t carry Cam’s jock. Come on. There are no measurables between the two that are similar.

21. bubbyfister says: Nov 9, 2011 4:57 PM

You gotta love everything you see and hear from this kid. Give me the already proven commodity of Newton over the uncertainty of Luck.

22. benwantsababyruth says: Nov 9, 2011 4:58 PM

23. theslex says: Nov 9, 2011 4:58 PM

This guy has really won me over during the past couple months. Either he’s deflated the ego a bit or he’s been taking some acting lessons.

Either way, he’s performing well on the field and saying a lot of the right things off of it.

24. expatpatfan says: Nov 9, 2011 4:59 PM

I admit I was completely wrong about Newton going into the draft. Sure, he still makes rookie mistakes in reading coverages, but he’s a rookie. That’s to be expected. In terms of doing better in the second half of the season…unless Cam decides to also play middle LB, I’m not sure he’s the answer.

25. dbones750 says: Nov 9, 2011 5:00 PM

Not gonna lie, I was a big time hater when he entered the league. I still drafted him in my fantasy league as a backup just because of the possibility of rushing touchdowns.

After watching him throw from the pocket, hearing him speak, and seeing him smile every second he’s on the field (even after he gets up from being smacked!)…I love this kid.

You can’t ask for a better rookie, Panthers did not miss.

26. bw115 says: Nov 9, 2011 5:00 PM

@1captain1
    I don’t know how you escaped the short bus and got your hands on a computer.

27. Lev says: Nov 9, 2011 5:00 PM

Kiper is somewhere consoling Jimmy Clausen. That’s 2 quarterbacks on Carolina’s roster he was wrong about. Thank God for the second one!!

28. earthtopft says: Nov 9, 2011 5:01 PM

Newt is hanging his hat on a grotesquely deformed head with an HGH enlongated jawbone, a nose stretched halfway across his face by the effects of the PEDs and tiny Shrek ears on each side.

29. phileborn says: Nov 9, 2011 5:02 PM

I’m no Panthers fan by any stretch, but this kid seems to be impressive. He is gaining a lot of fans with the way he handles himself on and off the field.

30. adlent says: Nov 9, 2011 5:03 PM

“Dude, Cam we appreciate you showing leadership and taking on the responsibility for the loosing record and all but….. you arnt the one to blame and we all know it.”

I like Cam and will eat crow for thinking he’d be a total bust out of college, but it is pretty easy to talk like that when you know you are having a statistically great year and losing.

31. mrone50 says: Nov 9, 2011 5:03 PM

Cam get’s it

32. vikingsrdue says: Nov 9, 2011 5:04 PM

I love the attitude, that’s how he should look at it. I thought Newton would be a bust, and he’s proving me really really wrong.

33. heyguru1969 says: Nov 9, 2011 5:08 PM

I was non-committal on Cam initially when he got here to Charlotte, but his armstrength and accuracy are dramatically better-than-advertised. But that’s not what got me on board. A local media-type asked “Are you surprised by your success?” Cam answered his question with a question, “Are you surprised whe you write a good story?” Right then I knew this guy had a professionality that’s rare, and I’m a fan itching for more!

34. maddenisfordorks says: Nov 9, 2011 5:13 PM

How many INTs does this guy have?

35. bullcharger says: Nov 9, 2011 5:15 PM

1captain1 says:Nov 9, 2011 4:45 PM

I’d rather have Tebow’s stats and the wins then to have Cam’s and the losses.

Another Jeff George in the making.

—————–

What wins??? Tebow and Newton both have 2 wins against pretty bad teams.

36. maddogwhite says: Nov 9, 2011 5:18 PM

People just need to calm down and give the guy time to grow. It’s only been 8 games and the media has been GLOWING in their enthusiasm. But therein lies the trap.

Mark my words, if/when his play ever deteriorates (which is something that happens to nearly EVERY 2nd yr QBs, even the best of them), these media “experts” will be quick to return to their “I told you so” comments. The media loves to build stars up only to tear them down.

Ask Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, etc.

Why even listen to these “experts?” Where were they on Tom Brady and Kurt Warner– two guys bound for the HOF.

37. nineroutsider says: Nov 9, 2011 5:20 PM

1captain1 says: Nov 9, 2011 4:45 PM

I’d rather have Tebow’s stats and the wins then to have Cam’s and the losses.

Another Jeff George in the making.
    —————————————————–
    Dumbest thing I have read today. Embarrassing!

Cam even says the right things, the guy is a stud. When it all clicks for him, and it is coming soon, he will be an Arron Rodgers type of passer…not to mention what he can do with his wheels.

This guy will be awesome to watch for years to come…glad they aren’t in the NFC West anymore…

38. redbullenergydrink says: Nov 9, 2011 5:23 PM

benwantsababyruth says: i said a long time ago that this kid was going to be a stud in the nfl when everyone around me was in complete doubt and laughed at my belief. glad you are proving me right cam!
    ———–
    A stud through 8 games? Yes.
    A winner? Not yet.

39. EJ says: Nov 9, 2011 5:25 PM

I am not trying to be a hater, just speaking the truth.

40. edhochuli says: Nov 9, 2011 5:26 PM

“1captain1 says: Nov 9, 2011 4:45 PM

I’d rather have Tebow’s stats and the wins then to have Cam’s and the losses.

Another Jeff George in the making.”

Is that you, Josh McDaniels? I’m pretty sure Cam surpassed Tebows career yardage in his first 2 games. And he’s probably a win away from matching him as well.

PS I was among the ones that thought Cam would be a bust. Having crow tonight for dinner.

41. damnyoulinelliot says: Nov 9, 2011 5:30 PM

So which high school football staff will Jimmy Clausen soon be coaching for?

42. damnyoulinelliot says: Nov 9, 2011 5:30 PM

So which high school football staff near South Bend will Jimmy Clausen soon be coaching for?

43. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 9, 2011 5:30 PM

Sterling Cooper couldn’t write better replies… this kid has a lot of polish on him. Hate it or love it.

Is Don Draper behind this campaigne?

44. maine2000 says: Nov 9, 2011 5:32 PM

maddenisfordorks says: Nov 9, 2011 5:13 PM

How many INTs does this guy have?

Less than Rivers,Brees,and Brady

45. gosuhgo says: Nov 9, 2011 5:33 PM

ESPN has reversed course on this kid, maybe a little too quickly. I saw a poll of top 5 Qbs and he came in at #4. Maybe a bit much..

46. moseszd says: Nov 9, 2011 5:35 PM

lol. It’s not his fault his defense is giving up almost 26 points a game. Even Joe Montana only won one-third of his starts when the 49er defense gave up those kind of points.

47. RedSox83 says: Nov 9, 2011 5:36 PM

Before this season began, I said he was the next Jamarcus Russel. I apologize for that. He is an exceptional athlete and QB. Now showing the leadership he has I am actually rooting for him to succeed. On a separate subject, Go Giants!

48. n0hopeleft says: Nov 9, 2011 5:37 PM

Alot of chatter about Mel Kiper.

WHY in the HELL are you still listening to Mel Kiper?

Whatever he says should be completely thrown out the window.

Kiper was also wrong about Jason Pierre-Paul, and Gerry Reese’s collection of D Line picks over the past couple of years.

How’s that worked out for us?

49. totallydisgusted says: Nov 9, 2011 5:38 PM

@1captain1

you will never be satisfied until newton is injured or fails. you are another tebow apologist. give credit where its due. in the long run Carolina will be better off than Denver

50. whodeybaby11 says: Nov 9, 2011 5:38 PM

I am a Bengals fan but I have to say I am really impressed with how these really good rookies are handling themselves in the press and on the field this year. I am talking about Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and AJ Green. I like how Cam is not saying that he is best. He is owning up to the loses like a real champ and is impressive on the field. Good for you rookies. Keep up the class because that is what this league needs for a change. Out with all the drama and cancers and just play ball. Oh yeah…. Go Bengals. Bring us another winner this Sunday at home so we can shut up all the haters already. Who Dey!!!!

51. ravenator says: Nov 9, 2011 5:40 PM

From someone who is an unbiased fan, I did not believe in Cam coming out of college. I stand corrected, he’s made me a believer.

Great attitude, tremendous upside, and a knack for being an impact player. This kid has a bright future. Charlotte residents have to be happy with what the future may hold.

52. slopmcflop says: Nov 9, 2011 5:42 PM

@maddenisfordorks

Less than Brees and Brady.

53. 4512dawg4512 says: Nov 9, 2011 5:45 PM

Love being able to say I told you so! once again

54. rushbacker says: Nov 9, 2011 5:46 PM

Wow, when did Cam Newton grow up so much? Is this the same guy that made the entertainer and icon remark?

55. rudegger says: Nov 9, 2011 5:50 PM

I don’t think the INTs matter at this point. Cam is constantly playing from behind or playing in tight games. The run game has been inconsistent…unless he is the one carrying the ball, the defense can’t hold a lead. I don’t think people realize yet how valuable this guy is to the Panthers because that team is so bad. Without Cam Newton there is no Steve Smith, and the Panthers would only bear a distant resemblance to an NFL team.

56. slammincamnewton says: Nov 9, 2011 5:50 PM

1captain1 says:
    Nov 9, 2011 4:45 PM
    I’d rather have Tebow’s stats and the wins then to have Cam’s and the losses.

Another Jeff George in the making.

Enjoy your wins over Oakland and Miami. Technically you donkeys are still sucking for luck.

57. blaz0037 says: Nov 9, 2011 6:02 PM

lets not forget SCAM proclaimed himself and ICON before he played a single NFL snap.

just sayin…

58. slammincamnewton says: Nov 9, 2011 6:03 PM

I’m 100% sure if Carolina had Denver’s schedule, they’d be undefeated.

59. slammincamnewton says: Nov 9, 2011 6:03 PM

blaz0037 says:
    Nov 9, 2011 6:02 PM

just sayin…

——

Just sayin, he was right…

60. blaz0037 says: Nov 9, 2011 6:06 PM

———————————–

Um……Jacksonville and Washington?

Pot, meet kettle

61. joshvitale says: Nov 9, 2011 6:09 PM

slammincamnewton says: Nov 9, 2011 6:03 PM (Edit)

“I’m 100% sure if Carolina had Denver’s schedule, they’d be undefeated.”

The Panthers lost to Arizona and Minnesota already this season, two of the NFL’s worst. With losses to those two teams, no way they beat they beat the Lions, Chargers, Bengals or Packers (who the Panthers already lost to), which are all teams the Broncos played.

I’ll admit, the Panthers might have a better record with the Broncos schedule, but I guarantee they’d be no better than 4-4.

Undefeated? Please.

62. chris6523 says: Nov 9, 2011 6:11 PM

If every player were declared a free agent tomorrow, I think Cam would probably be one of the five most sought after players in the league, based on upside and youth. Cam has some work to do before he is considered an elite quarterback and it seems that young quarterbacks of late have had a nasty habit of taking a step back after showing promise in their first couple of seasons (Ryan and Freeman come to mind). I think everyone in their right mind would choose Rodgers over anyone else in the league right now, but Newton would be on the list of guys that might be everyone’s second choice along with Megatron, Suh, Brady, and Roethlisberger.

63. hendeeze says: Nov 9, 2011 6:18 PM

cam the anti jamarcus

64. goawayeverybody says: Nov 9, 2011 6:19 PM

I picked up Cam Newton without resistance in many fantasy football leagues prior to week 2. Some of the analysts were saying he was a flash in the pan.

Idiots.

65. pnthrz1 says: Nov 9, 2011 6:24 PM

I was so on the fence about this guy but Carolina we have a Franchise QB. There’s a lot to like about him and what he does for the team.
    Look out NFL, we’re rising!

66. pioniere says: Nov 9, 2011 6:43 PM

I never honestly expected him to be as good as he is, but he also seems to be saying and doing all of the right things. Good on him!

67. rufustfireflyjr says: Nov 9, 2011 6:45 PM

EJ says:
    Nov 9, 2011 5:25 PM
    “Another QB that will never learn to close. Mike Vick 2.0. He is like a carousel horse, he has the strength, has the speed, even has the look, but will never find the finish line. He is lacking what a QB needs the most, the smarts to put it all together.”

So he’s mastered the Panthers’ playbook (not an abridged version of it) from day 1 despite the lockout, is making good decisions as to when to run and when to throw, and is reading defenses better than any rookie has a right to, and he doesn’t have the “smarts to put it all together???” Just stop, you’re embarassing yourself.

“I am not trying to be a hater”

Well, then it must come naturally . . .

68. rajbais says: Nov 9, 2011 6:45 PM

Bro! You overcame more than you thought! Don’t be hard on yourself!

Keep doing your thing, but get better in your deficiencies!!! Your team’s defense stinks!!!!

69. brintfatre says: Nov 9, 2011 6:50 PM

Look on the bright side Cam, you’re only one win behind the dream team!

70. qdog112 says: Nov 9, 2011 7:04 PM

But, but, but what about that fake smile? The kid is well polished off the field and has incredible skills on it. Do what you do Cam. The wins will come.

71. jh500 says: Nov 9, 2011 7:15 PM

flybirdsfly says: Nov 9, 2011 4:53 PM

____________________________________

Yeah, but Vicks first year as a starter, he became the first quarterback to win a playoff game at Green Bay’s Lambeau Field. And that Falcons team had less talent than the current Panthers team. Let’s not get carried away.

72. qdog112 says: Nov 9, 2011 7:16 PM

My friends called me crazy, pre-draft, when I proclaimed on several blogs, that passing on Cam Newton would be remembered in the same vein as Portland passing on Michael Jordan. Since I’m a Panthers fan, I’m kinda glad we picked him.

A couple more of my crazy claims prior to the draft: Cam belongs on college football’s Mt. Rushmore and if a team of scientists went into the lab to create a QB – the result would be Cam Newton.

73. das14 says: Nov 9, 2011 7:16 PM

Cam is the real deal and fun to watch. If I was Cam’s agent I would tell him to be mindful as the media/public love to build guys up only to rip them down later. Stay strong and keep fighting.

74. bozosforall says: Nov 9, 2011 7:22 PM

EJ says:
    Nov 9, 2011 5:25 PM

I am not trying to be a hater, just speaking the truth.

__
    Typical idiot Pats fan comment.

75. thespeaker08 says: Nov 9, 2011 7:22 PM

Not sure if anyone was watching their game two weeks ago… but this is interesting…

The camera crew caught a glimpse of his leadership brilliance. A player on the sideline needed to get in the huddle who wasn’t paying attentinon. Cam was not having that and starting clapping his hands and screamed “HEY!” at him and pointed for him to get in the huddle.

I had a warm tingle go down my spine that I haven’t felt watching the Panthers for the past ten years.

Despite their losing record, If you havent watched a Panthers game – you need to see the magic. Something special is happening down here – and thats not me quoting Shockey.

76. trollaikman8 says: Nov 9, 2011 7:32 PM

BTW, Tim Tebow would be “blessed” to have as many wins as Jeff George had in his career.

77. raideralex99 says: Nov 9, 2011 7:39 PM

The best 2-6 QB in NFL history.

78. maddenisfordorks says: Nov 9, 2011 7:53 PM

No beef with Cam …

just real tired of the analysts saying “CAAAAMMM”

79. lilrob10201 says: Nov 9, 2011 7:53 PM

Yea Cam Newton is a beast.I thought he would be a next Jamarcus Russel coming into the league but it turns out he is looking like Vick out there.

80. cmoney20 says: Nov 9, 2011 7:59 PM

When I need to throw up, I come on here and read the comments about Cam Newton.

81. tradeassociation says: Nov 9, 2011 8:00 PM

Some of the 2-6 is indeed Cam Newton’s fault. He has the physical aspects of the game down (mostly, he has to work on touch and accuracy) but with the mental part, he has a long way to go. He has to go from being a guy who is just trying to get the ball to an open receiver to knowing strategy: how to finish off drives and how to make adjustments. That’s why teams are so effective at stopping him in the second half after he torches them in the first.

Some of that comes with experience. Andy Dalton, for instance, was a 4 year starter (plus he redshirted his first year) … the kid started 50 college games. He knows how to adjust in-game when defenses start playing him differently, and also little stuff like how to get the team in field goal range during a scoring drought. Another way of putting it: Newton knows how to dominate a game, but not how to manage one, and a lot of playing in the NFL is picking your spots, driving downfield waiting for an opportunity for a big play. I guess you can say that he is the opposite of Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan can manage a game but he can’t change it. In the NFL, being able to manage a game lets you go 12-4, but only being able to take over a game gets you 2-6.

82. gdeli says: Nov 9, 2011 8:06 PM

they should be 3-5 in not for the missed fg. Our vikes didn’t win it themselves.

83. uberniner says: Nov 9, 2011 9:00 PM

Maybe it’s good coaching (meaning he was coached on WHAT TO SAY).

We should have more rookies that are better coached in this regard.

84. broncsfan72 says: Nov 9, 2011 9:12 PM

Cam is the real deal. Id much rather have Cam than Tebow. He’ll get better and better.

85. deconjonesbitchslap says: Nov 9, 2011 9:14 PM

so cheating in college is justified if he plays well in the nfl?

sure he is playing well. but unlike all of you, I haven’t forgotten what he did last year.

86. richardd998 says: Nov 9, 2011 9:32 PM

You certainly haven’t failed my Fantasy Team.

87. discosucs2005 says: Nov 9, 2011 9:58 PM

@deconjonesbitchslap

“so cheating in college is justified if he plays well in the nfl?”

Cam didn’t cheat. The school cheated. Cheating means breaking the rules to gain a competitive advantage. Auburn did that. They broke rules in order to gain a better player. Cam (and his dad) broke the rules in order to gain money. This is possibly stealing, fraud, but not cheating.

I’m with you in that I don’t forgive cheating. I think Auburn should be stripped of their title, and not allowed to give out scholarships for four years (yeah, that serious.) But Cam didn’t do anything that made his on field performance any different.

Btw, I love the people that say things like “the so called experts go it wrong.” Everyone got it wrong. I don’t know anyone that thought that Cam would play this well. Some people said he could succeed, but I saw no one, on this board or anywhere else, that said he would be putting up huge numbers. Way more people thought Tebow would succeed right away (in my own anecdotal observation) than Newton.

88. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects says: Nov 9, 2011 10:02 PM

deconjonesbitchslap says:
    Nov 9, 2011 9:14 PM
    so cheating in college is justified if he plays well in the nfl?

obviously you have forgotten. about a month ago all those bogus accusations were addressed as bogus accusations and made-up rumors. you missed that i guess. you missed october and november of 2011. that’s kind of a long period of time to forget about.

89. toddschnittke says: Nov 9, 2011 10:22 PM

Cam this…Cam that…. yeah, he’s that good, but look at his offensive supporting cast as well… Steve Smith, Shockey, Olsen, Stewart, and DeAngelo Williams. What is Andy Dalton working with… IMO…. that kid is Rookie of the year at this point… Why is everyone talking so much about Tebow on here…At least Dalton’s crew is getting it done with “W’s”…just sayin’ and oh yeah, they’re 6-2 at midway.

90. jdd428 says: Nov 10, 2011 12:06 AM

OK, first to those who say Cam can’t close – he drove the Panthers inside the Minnesota 5 in the final minutes two weeks ago and was betrayed by a S.Smith holding call and a missed field goal. He did all he could to close that game, and he was successful in what he could control.

And as far as the comparison to what Dalton is working with – Williams and Stewart haven’t played all that well (especially Williams). Cam has no standouts at WR beyond Smith, who’s only having a good season BECAUSE of Newton. And their offensive line hasn’t been all that healthy.

Dalton (who has AJ Green as a target and the support of a stellar defense) and the Bengals have played well. But remember – only one of their wins came against a team with a winning record (Buffalo) and the other five victories came against teams that have combined to go 11-33 (Cle, Jax, winless Indy, Sea, Ten). And one of their losses is to a bad Denver team.

By comparison, since opening the season at Arizona, Carolina has played unbeaten Green Bay and playoff contenders Chicago, Atlanta and New Orleans as well as a Minnesota team that still has Adrian Peterson. And only the Falcons have beaten the Panthers by more than one score.

91. mwcarolina says: Nov 10, 2011 12:13 AM

What is Andy Dalton working with
    ————————————————————
    talented rookie AJ Green, talented Jermaine Gresham, talented Jerome Simpson and of course Cedric Benson is his running back and he has a defense that actually knows how to stop the run and cover a tight end decently, Carolina has Steve Smith, two tight ends and two running backs. Carolina has issues at WR, besides Smith, there is a lack of great talent at WR.

92. staffordsyear says: Nov 10, 2011 1:12 AM

He’s right..their 2-6 but I’m starting to come around on this kid.

93. jcincarolina says: Nov 10, 2011 3:10 AM

As a Panther fan, I’m just glad that Carolina ‘sucked for Luck’ last year. We got it when Andrew decided not to come out of college.

94. tatum064 says: Nov 10, 2011 3:10 AM

mwcarolina says:
    Nov 10, 2011 12:13 AM
    What is Andy Dalton working with
    ————————————————————
    =============================
    Agree. Maybe Carolina takes WR Justin Blackmon in next years draft

95. flapjackdaddy says: Nov 10, 2011 11:17 AM

earthtopft: Seek help.

96. Zachariah Claybaugh says: Nov 10, 2011 11:52 AM

He may not have a great won-loss record, but Newton is putting up some historically significant numbers for the Panthers and the NFL.

Check out my article on Cam Newton by clicking on my username at the top of this post.

97. drakost says: Nov 14, 2011 10:15 PM

Damn I have quarterback envy. Everything this guy does and says is exactly what you want to hear from your franchise QB.