Jason Campbell hasn’t given up hope on playing this year

Jason Campbell AP

Every week, I read the injury report and am reminded that Jason Campbell is still on Oakland’s active roster.

The Raiders decided not to place Campbell on injured reserve despite his broken collarbone in case he recovered quickly and they needed him in December. Campbell, now in the awkward situation of watching Carson Palmer run the team, hasn’t given up on playing this year.

“I don’t rule out anything,” Campbell told Jason La Canfora of NFL.com. “I think the main thing is just focusing on getting my injury healthy, spending as much time and most of my effort into that. And I go to all the meetings, and all of that. I stay on it mentally.”

In theory, Campbell could still wind up factoring into this season if Palmer got hurt late in the year.  Campbell also wants to get healthy for when he’s a free agent.

It’s been a difficult process for Campbell to accept how quickly this season in Oakland turned.

“I felt like I had finally found a place, found a home, and I felt like I had helped turn a franchise around,” Campbell said. “And then the injury and then a big trade like that and it’s like, ‘All right, what’s next?’ We’ll see. Everything happens for a reason. I can find the good in anything, so we’ll see.”

Campbell has been known as nothing but a leader in both Washington and Oakland. He’s seemingly handled a difficult situation with composure, which should only help Campbell’s chances of finding a new home in 2012.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Jason Campbell hasn’t given up hope on playing this year”
  1. edmazeing1 says: Nov 10, 2011 4:29 PM

Good to hear Palmer throw 3 picks tonight I will be pissed off, this game is must Win!!!

2. wtfpft says: Nov 10, 2011 4:32 PM

Sucks for him, he’s a good guy and wish him nothing but the best.

3. nineroutsider says: Nov 10, 2011 4:35 PM

Say what you will about his skillset but Oakland looked a lot better under him than they have under Palmer, although the defense and no McFadden might be the bigger reasons.

With that said, Palmer clearly has the better arm and now he needs to make better decisions. Defense has to step up…get pushed around by Denver?? Far too many blitzes from Oakland in that game…Denver just ran into the teeth of it and scorched them. Need better coaching and game planning than that…

4. azskinsfan says: Nov 10, 2011 4:40 PM

If anyone deserves success, it’s Jason Campbell. I though he was going the right direction when he got to the Raiders. In fact, I wish we had him back, healthy, right now. He’s really a class guy.

5. nattyboh says: Nov 10, 2011 4:40 PM

Maybe he can catch on with the Cardinals or Seahawks.

6. committed2excellence says: Nov 10, 2011 4:40 PM

Jason Campbell is a pro and I respect the hell out of him. He’s professional, intelligent, and talented, and is an effective QB at taking what the defense gives him and avoiding mistakes. At the same time, he’s not Carson Palmer. Palmer is among the 10 most talented QBs in the league and among the elite at reading defenses and making adjustments. Given time with this offense and a healthy McFadden he should be more productive than he’s ever been in this league. Playoffs are realistic this year, but giving up 2 1st rounders is entirely possible based on the potential of next season. Palmer is a field general not a game manager, he opens up the playbook and offers this offense a ceiling it hasn’t dreamed of since Gannon. I appreciate Campbell’s contributions to this team but understand that Palmer is a significant upgrade.

7. ammarradhi says: Nov 10, 2011 4:42 PM

If the Vikes didnt have Ponder, I would love Jason Campbell on the team, he is definately very underrated, and the Raiders will regret when leaves!

8. souldogdave says: Nov 10, 2011 4:43 PM

He should get healthy on the Raider’s dime, he earned it. He just might have significant value to this season if , God forbid, Carson gets injured later in the year. I wish he would stay but the writing is on the wall.Good luck, Jason.

9. committed2excellence says: Nov 10, 2011 4:53 PM

Seahawks would be a good team for him, they have a lot of pieces and QB play is holding them back. I’m sure Cable and Miller’s presence could smooth the transition. Seems like the best fit of QB desperate teams. Good luck Jason, you’ll always be a Raider in my book.

10. Land Snark says: Nov 10, 2011 4:54 PM

Carson Palmer a top 10 QB? Since when? He was vastly overrated in his prime.

Now that he’s over 30 he’s not even in the top half of QBs in the league.

He might improve over his last 2 performances, but don’t look for him to suddenly be up there with Rodgers and Brees.

11. philyeagles5 says: Nov 10, 2011 5:07 PM

i feel so bad for this guy. hes easily above average and just gets screwed time after time. this kid needs a break.

12. committed2excellence says: Nov 10, 2011 5:08 PM

From 2005 to 2007 Palmer was indisputably the 3rd best QB in the league behind Brady and Manning. You haven’t been a football fan that long I guess… or haven’t watched him throw healthy recently. He hasn’t lost anything, and that’s obvious from watching him. He has the talent and potential that only elite QBs like Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rodgers have…and is seen in few up and comers like Stafford and Newton. He’s not there yet obviously but he hasn’t been with the team a month and is showing signs he is back. Look for him in the Pro Bowl next season.

13. tatum064 says: Nov 10, 2011 5:19 PM

Carson keeps throwing the picks, Campbell will be back starting again…

14. dennyg2 says: Nov 10, 2011 5:32 PM

Mark it down Palmer apologists… Palmer is 0-3 after tonight. While raider fans keep making excuses for his awful picks and bad decisions, he is only a shadow of what he use to be. How have Bengals done without him? Hmmm

15. jessethegreat says: Nov 10, 2011 5:48 PM

Even if you don’t like the Raiders, can’t help but like this guy. Always saying the right things. If he doesn’t find a starting job after this season, I wouldn’t mind having him back-up Rodgers for my Packers.

16. raideralex99 says: Nov 10, 2011 5:53 PM

“I felt like I had helped turn a franchise around” … Seriously Just by that comment Jason proves he’s not a team player.

17. humb0lt says: Nov 10, 2011 5:54 PM

@committed-

You must not watch the NFL much.

Palmer the third best QB in the league from 2007-07? What a crock.

First, there is a guy named Drew Brews who was and still is pretty good, better than your boy Palmer. Brees won in the playoffs, something Palmer never did.

Next there is a guy named Phil Rivers who not only beat your boy in Cincinnati, but won more games in just two seasons 2006-07, than Palmer did in those three seasons, 2005-07.

18. Burritto says: Nov 10, 2011 6:03 PM

I would still argue that a lot of people have Jason Campbell overrated, but he’s earned a lot of respect from me over the past two years.

19. ken0west says: Nov 10, 2011 6:08 PM

umm. Palmer stinks and has for 2 years. JC is better than him now, and will have a home next year.

DHB pick/contract, Seymor trade, Palmer trade, plus various other moves make Raiders the worst ran franchise of the last 10 years.

Didn’t they pay Hall like 20 million to play 8 games?

20. tdk24 says: Nov 10, 2011 6:10 PM

Sorry Jason, you’re a dinker and a dunker that doesn’t take enough chances at big plays, and when you do throw that one deep ball, it’s 5 yards out of bounds.

21. bucks12965 says: Nov 10, 2011 6:23 PM

Because Palmer sucks and has weak character, he will be taking his ball and going home at the end of this season. Campbell will be the Raiders QB again.

22. allball23 says: Nov 10, 2011 6:34 PM

Sucks for jason. He is not a franchise qb but the raiders looked good with him. He will find a new home

23. jlb10 says: Nov 11, 2011 8:33 AM

dennyg2 says: Nov 10, 2011 5:32 PM

how does that crow taste this morning?

ken0west says:

you obviously don’t watch much football

24. bombayjon says: Nov 11, 2011 12:28 PM

I still haven’t given up on the Raiders re-signing him as a back-up next year. He’s a good game manager and a decent guy.

25. bombayjon says: Nov 11, 2011 12:28 PM

dennyg2 says: Nov 10, 2011 5:32 PM

—————-

Would you like some bacon with that crow omolette this morning?