Cam Newton added to injury report after MRI on shoulder

Reuters

Any Saturday addition to the injury report is usually a bad sign, but it appears Panthers fans shouldn’t be too worried about Cam Newton.

The team added Newton as probable with a shoulder injury on Saturday.

The news comes as a surprise because he practiced fully all week. Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer reports that Newton had an MRI on the shoulder late in the week and results were “good.”  Adding Newton to the report appears precautionary and he’s fully expected to start against the Titans on Sunday.

Add it all up, and Panthers fans aren’t likely to see Derek Anderson playing on Sunday.  On a side note, remember when Newton was “competing” with Jimmy Clausen to start this year?  That was cute.

17 responses to “Cam Newton added to injury report after MRI on shoulder

1. dbellina says:
    Nov 12, 2011 2:55 PM
    How long has it been since a QB from Notre Dame was actually good in the NFL?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Joe Montana is my guess.

2. NFL starters and Elite Qb’s are two VERY different goal marks. Rex Grossman, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, and Matt Cassel were all starters this year, I don’t think ANYONE would confuse them with being elite.

3. elcolon says: Nov 12, 2011 3:20 PM

USC seems to be putting out their fair share of NFL starters.

——————————————————-

You mean recent studs like Matt Leinart and John David Booty?

And sure, Mark Sanchez is a starter, but is probably bottom ten at the position in the NFL.

4. You don’t do an MRI unless there’s some kind of potentially serious issue.

Newton’s probably going to be toast by the end of the year, especially if he doesn’t learn how to slide and stop trying to prove how tough he is by taking needless hits.

Cultural icon status is one thing; longevity in the NFL is another.

5. I hope Clausen is starting when Panthers and Lions battle! I’m the type that prefers a blowout over keeping it close to the end.

6. vexey says: Nov 12, 2011 4:05 PM

“Read the title, had a heart attack

I should probably read the articles before I jump to conclusions”

Why, you worried Newton being out might hurt the Panthers’ playoff chances?

7. nfloracle says:
    Nov 12, 2011 4:19 PM
    You don’t do an MRI unless there’s some kind of potentially serious issue.

Cultural icon status is one thing; longevity in the NFL is another.

you’re not an oracle, just an idiot. i guess you haven’t seen newton or clausen play. in that regard you’re 2 for 2.

8. mikewhorio says:
    Nov 12, 2011 8:18 PM
    vexey says: Nov 12, 2011 4:05 PM

“Read the title, had a heart attack

I should probably read the articles before I jump to conclusions”

Why, you worried Newton being out might hurt the Panthers’ playoff chances?

funny. when the bengals win an afc championship don’t call me. just focus on getting laid before you die. small steps….

9. @nfloracle

“And Clausen has never gotten the chance he deserves. I still think he has the potential to be a sound NFL quarterback.”

Read this; Laughed repeatedly.