Jaguars lose Rashean Mathis for the season

Rashean Mathis AP

Jacksonville’s defense will play the rest of the season without their veteran leader in the secondary.

Nine-year veteran Rashean Mathis will miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL, according to Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union.

The Jaguars usually match up Mathis against the team’s best receiver. He was having a solid enough season, but this news will crush his free agent value. Mathis’ contract ends at the end of the year.

Will Middleton will likely replace Mathis in the starting lineup for the 3-6 Jaguars.

UPDATE: The team placed Mathis on injured reserve. They also placed tackle Eben Britton on injured reserve following complications with his back surgery.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Jaguars lose Rashean Mathis for the season”
  1. gjags says: Nov 14, 2011 12:55 PM

Sucks for him he finally looked good with some actual safety help this year. While Derek Cox passed him as our best corner, I wouldn’t mind resigning him next year.

2. bigvinnyinjax says: Nov 14, 2011 12:58 PM

I never want to see anyone hurt, especially a Jaguar, but Mathis is such an overrated player. He never turned into the shut-down corner we thought he would be. He’s the human highlight film – either an INT, or a TD over his head.

I hope he gets better quickly, and then maybe signs somewhere next year. I believe he will be a free agent.

3. jhart615 says: Nov 14, 2011 1:09 PM

Rashean Mathis is a great guy, great leader, great corner. Hasn’t been as solid as he was a few years ago but the guy plays hard and is a great asset to our defense. I would love to have him back for cheaper after he explores free agency. Get well rashean

4. talkintrashallday says: Nov 14, 2011 1:23 PM

The Jaguars will miss the rest of the season too

5. Deb says: Nov 14, 2011 1:27 PM

Sorry to hear this. Since I haven’t followed the Jags that much, I can’t argue with fans who feel Mathis hasn’t lived up to their expectations. But he was certainly a big factor when they knocked my Steelers out of the playoffs a few years ago.

6. richkotitte says: Nov 14, 2011 1:37 PM

He is a local guy , so not sure he’s gonna want to move out west after the Jags can Del Rio and pack the Mayflower trucks. I’m an optimistic season ticket holder since day one…Go Jags! GO !! Get out of here!!!

7. northshorejag says: Nov 14, 2011 2:00 PM

It only kills his street value in terms of choosing his team. A poor team wilk still overpay for him. but the only reason he was hitting the street was that he wanted to much in the first place to stay in Jax

Having said that he’s been a top ten corner for a decade and OWNS Big Ben

8. tuckyous says: Nov 14, 2011 2:09 PM

Shame, great player, always seemed like a nice guy. Hope he recovers well.

9. bigvinnyinjax says: Nov 14, 2011 2:10 PM

RT Eben Britton going on IR too.

10. bigvinnyinjax says: Nov 14, 2011 3:04 PM

Kyle Bosworth to IR too.

For the love of Tebow the entire team’s going on IR!!!!!!!!

11. johnnyjagfan says: Nov 14, 2011 3:30 PM

I hate to say it but maybe this will give a young guy on someone’s practice squad a chance to show something. We are not a good pass defense. I’ve liked Rasheed since seeing him taped to the goal posts his rookie camp. Great Jaguar. He hasn’t been a “shut down” but he’s been solid and yes, Deb, like most Jag teams, got up to play the Steelers.