John Skelton thinks starting job is still Kevin Kolb’s

Jerome Boyd, John Skelton AP

On merit, Cardinals quarterback John Skelton has a great case that he deserves to be the starter. But in the way the world of the NFL works, Skelton knows the starting job is still Kevin Kolb’s.

“I haven’t been told anything and I’m sure it’s going to be as it was in the past,” Skelton told Mike Florio on today’s ProFootballTalk Live. “I’m sure if he’s healthy he’ll be the guy starting.”

But shouldn’t the better player get the starting job? And isn’t the better player Skelton? After all, Skelton has a higher passer rating than Kolb this year, and Skelton has gone 2-0 as the starter while Kolb went 1-6.

Skelton isn’t going to say that.

“That’s not for me to say” Skelton said. “I think that’s for the coaching staff to determine through film study, but ultimately Kevin is the starter and I’m the backup and I came in and filled my role as the backup.”

Still, Skelton said he hopes he’ll be the starter in Arizona some day, and not just as Kolb’s fill-in.

“No one’s content being a backup,” Skelton said. “Everyone that’s in this league wants to be a starter.”

And Skelton has made a better case than Kolb that he should be a starter.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “John Skelton thinks starting job is still Kevin Kolb’s”
  1. newagerocker says: Nov 14, 2011 2:09 PM

Remember The Eagles made Joe Webb look like a Pro Bowl player last year too.

2. thedreadpirateswantoon says: Nov 14, 2011 2:12 PM

Skelton should now be the Mayor of Phoenix.

3. nineroutsider says: Nov 14, 2011 2:12 PM

The Eagles were dead set on losing to any team they played yesterday…

4. august589 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:15 PM

Skelton is saying what he knows he’s supposed to say. Why rock the boat when you’re on a roll? I would expect Skelton to start next week against the 49ers.

5. bozosforall says: Nov 14, 2011 2:16 PM

Class act, Skelton.

6. lvnwell says: Nov 14, 2011 2:19 PM

Skelton didn’t look like a pro bowl player for sure, but he looked like he understands the offense better.

7. wegonnadoitbaby says: Nov 14, 2011 2:19 PM

I can give 63 million reasons why John Skelton is probably right.

8. westclaims says: Nov 14, 2011 2:24 PM

Skelton should start, Kolb should be the backup and learn the offense. Let them battle it out in training camp next year, but for now it should be Skelton.

9. theuglitruth says: Nov 14, 2011 2:33 PM

Skelton made the most of his opportunity, and he’s been flashing talent every chance he gets. He needs some more time to develop IMO, but he looks like he has a chance to be a solid starter in the future. It’s nice to see an under dog get it done when it counts. Nice job John!

10. benh999 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:40 PM

Poor Kevin. Maybe the next starting job he has giftwrapped for him won’t result in losing it to a backup. Third time’s a charm?

11. jessethegreat says: Nov 14, 2011 2:48 PM

Helter Skelton!!!!!!!!! At this rate, the Cardinals will probably be able to trade Kolb back to the Iggles for Deshawn Jackson in the offseason. (Sign and trade deal since SheShawn is up for free agency).

12. saintsfan1111 says: Nov 14, 2011 3:00 PM

As in any sport, you roll with the hot hand. Unless it’s drew brees, tom brady or peyton manning. Anyone else is replaceable.

13. getadealdonealready says: Nov 14, 2011 3:03 PM

As a someone who has Fitz on my fantasy team, I pray that Kolb is no longer the starter!

14. BrownsTown says: Nov 14, 2011 3:16 PM

Skelton is doing well by, get ready for this, throwing to the top 3 NFL WR wearing the same uniform as him.

Crazy Eyes Kolb doesn’t seem to find Fitzgerald a valuable asset for some reason.

15. zillabeast says: Nov 14, 2011 3:23 PM

49ers pass rush will force Kolb back into action after they take Skeleton out.

16. snowpea84 says: Nov 14, 2011 3:36 PM

I was not at all impressed watching Skelton the other day. He got lucky on a important plays.

17. terrellochouno says: Nov 14, 2011 3:39 PM

Anyone else think John Beck could learn a thing or two from this guy?

18. tformation says: Nov 14, 2011 3:57 PM

Jeez, poor Kevin. I don’t have a dog in the NFC East or West race, but I gotta feel for Kolb on a personal level… being injured and watching his no-name backup QB beat his former team. Skelton is at least sounding like a professional about his role. Kevin’s got to be looking over his shoulder going, “Oh, man, not again!”

19. whoknowsnothing says: Nov 14, 2011 6:15 PM

If Skelton plays well and wins against the 49ers, than he should remain the starting QB.

Cardinals should have never dealt for Kolb. They had a better chance just picking up Daunte Culpepper of the street, but the trade seemed even if the Cards would’ve given up that 2nd pick.

20. jmota222 says: Nov 14, 2011 7:04 PM

Skelton looks the part and he’s has way better chemistry with fitz than kolb does but I want to see what he does vs a quality defense before I anoint him the starter!!!!

21. commandercornpone says: Nov 14, 2011 9:00 PM

clearly whoknows does know nothing, cause chauncey pullpecker never could do jack unless moss was there. and even then chauncey didnt win half those games.