NFL looking into video of Rex Ryan cursing at fan

Rex Ryan AP

I was forwarded the YouTube clip of Rex Ryan swearing at a fan Sunday night, just like many of you.

It cracked me up and seemed harmless enough. With this being a family blog and all, it didn’t necessarily seem worth a post.

Now that the NFL is getting involved, it’s time to mention it. Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that the NFL “will take a look” at the video.

In the clip, an off-screen fan (presumably of the Patriots) tells Ryan that Bill Belichick is “better than” Rex.

Ryan, on his way back to the locker room, tells the fan to go “shut the front door.” Or something like that.

Apparently, Ryan wasn’t the only coach overheard using salty language. The New York Post  snooped a conversation between Belichick and his son Stephen after the game that included this gem:

“Thirty-seven points on the best defense in the league, suck my d–k,” Belichick said.

The league won’t investigate that comment (of course) because it was just a private comment that a tabloid overheard.

You know, just some wholesome father-son bonding.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
55 Responses to “NFL looking into video of Rex Ryan cursing at fan”
  1. medtxpack says: Nov 14, 2011 2:16 PM

Im just glad that video didnt invlove any feet.

2. jnbnet says: Nov 14, 2011 2:19 PM

An overheard comment in a private conversation is totaly different from a public comment directed to a fan. Not blaming Rex, just saying he should be able to let something like that roll off his back.

3. captainwisdom8888 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:20 PM

there is never anything positive or enlightening to read about rex ryan. its either. he hates brady. hes the best. or he loves feet

4. test2402 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:20 PM

Jury duty sucks.

5. jmsincla says: Nov 14, 2011 2:21 PM

“”Thirty-seven points on the best defense in the league, suck my d—,” Belichick said.”

Classic!

6. sedcontra97 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:22 PM

Can’t wait to hear what the fat man has to say about Tebow.

7. rcali says: Nov 14, 2011 2:22 PM

Belicheat is better than Rex Ryan? Hold the Press! You could argue Belicheat was not much of a coach himself until he had some years under his belt as a head coach.

8. steelchamps says: Nov 14, 2011 2:25 PM

If only the proles would realize that they had the numbers to destroy BigBrother…
    Men swear. Players tackle hard.fans drink and ravens choke alot. These are just the way things are.
    How long until YOUR every word and action is tracked?

9. xxwhodatxx says: Nov 14, 2011 2:27 PM

Fans can dish it out so they should be ready to take it also.

10. RomosRibs says: Nov 14, 2011 2:27 PM

It’s nice to know I’m part of The Family, The PFT Family. Can I call Flo Bro?
    Re: “shut the front door”, do you mean Rex said GTFO?

11. r8rsfan says: Nov 14, 2011 2:28 PM

Both of these guys just ooze class and dignity. How old is Belichecks kid?

12. theysone says: Nov 14, 2011 2:28 PM

After watching Belichick’s Football Life episode on NFLN, I changed my mind about him. I love the way he handles his business, and a comment like that (said in private, after playing well against the Jets) further strengthens my opinion of him, and I hate MA sports teams.

Rex Ryan, on the other hand, runs his mouth leading up to games, in the off-season, and rarely, if ever backs it up.

13. holdthemayo123 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:29 PM

NFL should let it go – makes them look petty if they pursue this too much.
    As far as BB, his son is a grown man – I’m sure he is quite used to locker room language.

14. hay1111 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:29 PM

that’s exactly what you get and what you deserve when you talk about how great your team is when they’ve done NOTHING. get a QB and you might have a chance to win something b/c sanchez just isn’t good enough, he’s not even average

15. lunarpie says: Nov 14, 2011 2:30 PM

Didn’t his father teach him that cursing doesn’t make him a man?!?! Oh wait…

16. warvette says: Nov 14, 2011 2:32 PM

it’s pretty funny. on the one hand, it shows he’s a real guy. on the other hand, it show’s he’s a really thin-skinned jerk of a guy..

17. turdfurgerson68 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:32 PM

Who cares!!! This is the NFL. Salty language has been used in the league since the day it was founded in the Hupmobile dealership back in 1920.

Hate on Rex Ryan all you want (and Beleichick too), but this story, and the ‘looking into it’ by the league is just ridiculous.

Yes, Rex is a buffoon, but this is stupidity of the highest order.

18. nineroutsider says: Nov 14, 2011 2:34 PM

Time to pretend like the NFL is run by and consists of saints. Stay out of this stuff NFL or please just pretend to care. Rex should not receive any punishment or warning for this. Thx

19. 4t9er says: Nov 14, 2011 2:35 PM

The NFL should stop interfering with everything, it’s not against the law to curse.

20. grogansheroes says: Nov 14, 2011 2:36 PM

I’m sure nothing will happen to the Jets. They have carte blanche from a Mr. GODdell, the Jets biggest fan. Belichick on the other hand may lose a couple of draft picks and a significant fine, going to Roger’s favorite charity, himself!

21. dukemarc says: Nov 14, 2011 2:38 PM

Who the Eff said the Jets were the best defense in the league??? Not….even….close.

22. orakpownd says: Nov 14, 2011 2:39 PM

Well suck my d-. thats funny.

23. melikefootball says: Nov 14, 2011 2:39 PM

Typical announcment of this league office. Both coaches way out of bounds but only one will be looked into. Same procedure on fines and players and coaches giving there thoughts. The God-del boys have become the dictators and the media should point this out.

24. Pacific NW Mark says: Nov 14, 2011 2:41 PM

Seriously, I love this side of the NFL. The Jets ‘Hard Knocks’ series was great because it was both real and raw.

I’d pay for a Sunday Ticket-like pay channel that presented the league miked and uncensored, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

We see (and occasionally hear) players and coaches using this sort of language all the time; it’s time for the league to stop pretending it doesn’t exist and start monetizing it.

25. blmonroe12 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:41 PM

Vintage hoodie. If that doesn’t tell you how much that guy is just like us I don’t know what will.

26. flakazoid says: Nov 14, 2011 2:42 PM

Finally a reason to respect Belichik!

27. finsfan71 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:43 PM

I had no idea that Schmil Schmelichick was a Schmoe Schmaterno disciple

28. stanmark says: Nov 14, 2011 2:44 PM

why do they call them the New Jersey Jets? Oh yeah, bc they play in New Jersey.

29. kev86 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:47 PM

“Some people like to say the Giants are the big brother team and the Jets are the little brother team. … I have news for you: We are the better team. We are the big brother.”
    Ryan also says the Jets are going to be better than the Giants for the next 10 years.
    “When people ask me what it’s like to share New York with the Giants, my response is always I am not sharing it with them – they are sharing it with me. … It seems clear that right now we are the better team and we are going to remain the better team for the next 10 years. Whether you like it or not, those are the facts and that’s what is going to happen.”

30. rc33 says: Nov 14, 2011 2:48 PM

Belichick’s son just graduated from Rutgers, I believe, where he was a lacrosse player. So 22, 23 years old.

31. lunarpie says: Nov 14, 2011 2:53 PM

Send em to ANGER MANAGEMENT.

32. fanofthegame says: Nov 14, 2011 2:53 PM

Belichick just threw down the gauntlet. Now Ryan will be quoted as saying he has a bigger one than Belichick does.

33. mike83ri says: Nov 14, 2011 2:55 PM

Where was the NFL when Rex’s language was making them millions from Hard Knocks ratings?

34. nysaysbringit says: Nov 14, 2011 2:57 PM

The “politicly correct” movement now OWNS the NFL…What a shame…Soon we will be playing flag football and ALL teams will have to wear some pink at all times.
    Only in America..The united states of the offended.

35. dkhhuey says: Nov 14, 2011 2:58 PM

The NFL will not be happy until they have beaten the ever living sh!t out of anything that exhibits one iota of a personality until it is a sterile, unwatchable, undesirable product. God forbid somebody associated with the NFL accidentally reacts in a not so stage, pre rehearsed, pre scripted and approved by the lawyers of the league manner. I love Rex Ryan and anybody else like him just because he drives the league insane with his in your face, burp out loud, say anything personality.

36. whoplayswhere says: Nov 14, 2011 3:00 PM

What’s the fine for “flicking off” a fan?

I say the league matches it………….

37. poochpunt says: Nov 14, 2011 3:01 PM

Goodell and the NFL will obviously do the right thing here by trying to help Rex become a more enlightened soul and they’ll help teach him to become a better person overall. Out of the goodness of their collective hearts they’ll provide an example to those they employ on how to be kind and upstanding citizens by fining Rex $20K.

38. fanofthegame says: Nov 14, 2011 3:03 PM

Rex swearing at his players is much different than swearing at a fan. And it’s much different than Belichik having a personal conversation with his son that, supposedly, the sensationalist rag called the New York Post overheard.

39. all4patriots says: Nov 14, 2011 3:04 PM

If Belichick said that and there were a video or audio, it may be an issue. Since there is no such verification, one can also reasonably assume that the New York Post, aka a primo bird cage liner, is being less than accurate.

The NFL wouldn’t be investigating Rex if it were solely based on the report of a rag newspaper.

40. AlanSaysYo says: Nov 14, 2011 3:07 PM

Anxiously awaiting the “Thirty-seven Points On The Best Defense In The League, Suck My D–k” t-shirts.

41. gmen1987 says: Nov 14, 2011 3:11 PM

I wonder how many other videos of Rex Ryan the NFL has looked at?

42. snarkzilla says: Nov 14, 2011 3:12 PM

An outrage! The dignity of the NFL must be preserved at all costs. This is worse than if Ryan had farted in the corporate sanctum at 280 Park Avenue.

Now get me that kid from Nebraska on the phone, the helmet ripper. We need to get the “Face Of The NFL” photo shoot scheduled.

43. CKL says: Nov 14, 2011 3:20 PM

Just what do fans expect in return when they taunt people anyway?
    Yes I get that players and coaches are supposed to ignore it and not respond but I don’t think I could after taking it for awhile.

44. bigdan7885 says: Nov 14, 2011 3:33 PM

Did anyone see #68 go for a high-five and get left hanging? Haha

45. ragingyinzer says: Nov 14, 2011 3:45 PM

Well, Bill, one of those TD’s was defensive, so technically you only had 30 points against the best D in the league (or 31 if you wanna pin the PAT on the Jets D). So suck on that too.

46. superdanlp says: Nov 14, 2011 3:48 PM

i don’t understand why this is a big deal. who cares? man up.

47. fwippel says: Nov 14, 2011 3:49 PM

What ever happened to guys like Tom Landry and Bud Grant? Those two had ice water in their veins no matter what happened on the sidelines, and they didn’t get rattled over anything. Tony Dungy would’ve fit into that category too, I suppose

Now-a-days, we’ve either got over-enthusiastic coaches who can’t control their emotions and mouths, or we get potty-mouthed cheaters.

We need classier coaches.

48. randomjim says: Nov 14, 2011 3:49 PM

I don’t like Rex Ryan.
    I think he is a big fat turd.
    That said, this is a non issue.

49. savagenation2011 says: Nov 14, 2011 3:53 PM

Hmmm…..I was at the game and that’s what I heard
    Joe Namath say to Suzie Kolber !

50. ravenspit says: Nov 14, 2011 3:57 PM

As a fan of neither team, I really do think Rex’s response doesn’t require any investigation. What he said is what the NFL (both the owners and NFLPA) has been telling the fans for years. As for BB-I think that quote is classic. It needs to go on his bust when he goes into the Hall Of Fame.

51. dgrowe213 says: Nov 14, 2011 4:07 PM

Wes Welker sent a text to Rex shortly afterwards telling him to suck his toes.

52. neilpountney says: Nov 14, 2011 5:02 PM

The NFL is really losing its credibility under Roger Goodell, Rex Ryan was well within his rights to tell that fan exactly what he did. You think that stadium heard any curse words uttered last night… please!!!

What is next, disciplining Gene Steratore for allowing people to see that officials bleed just like the rest of us!!!!!!

53. squirrely1 says: Nov 14, 2011 8:57 PM

I don’t see the big deal; weren’t they BOTH private comments, overheard by the press?

54. thenmoveback says: Nov 14, 2011 9:56 PM

I hate Rex as much as everyone else but who cares about this he is a fat emotional slob who takes losses hard cursing is part of football just listen to the players on the field

55. bobdawg602 says: Nov 15, 2011 5:37 AM