Brees isn’t thinking about Marino’s record, yet

Getty Images

With 3326 passing yards through ten games, Saints quarterback Drew Brees remains on pace to obliterate the single-season yardage record, set 27 years ago by Dan Marino.

Marino threw for 5,084.  Brees is on track for 5,321.

But Brees says he’s not thinking about it, in part because he chased that record (and nearly broke it) three years ago, when he finished with 5,069.

“I feel very different this year than I did back in 2008 in regards to this Marino thing,” Brees said Wednesday, in comments distributed by the team.  “I think back in ’08, maybe because it was the first time that any of us had really been close to that record in a long time.  As I recall, Kurt Warner was on pace at one point.  Back in ’08, it seemed like every week it was a topic of discussion.  That was the first time I had been a part of anything like that.  For me, I tried not to make it stressful but it was hard not to think about it because people would always talk about it especially when we got down to the final two games where we had to average almost 380 [yards] a game in order to get to the record and we almost did it.  Maybe because I have been through that before, I am really not thinking about it or letting it creep into my mind all that often.”

Brees said that, with winning the only concern, he doesn’t keep track of his passing stats.  “I am just so focused on winning games and doing whatever it takes to win the game,” Brees said.  “Even this game against Atlanta, when somebody said I had thrown for 322 yards I was shocked.  I didn’t feel like it was that kind of a game.  It didn’t feel to me like a game that we were throwing it a lot and weren’t running it a lot but when you look at the stat book at the end of the game that is the way it turned out. . . .

“I think the way this season started, there were like six guys on pace to break Marino’s record after the first four or five games.  It seemed like this one of those crazy years where teams are throwing it a lot.  I think as the year goes on situations changes. Some people stay on pace and others don’t.  I really haven’t given it a lot of thought other doing whatever it takes to win.”

Though Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has fewer yards that Brees (3,032), Brady has played one less game.  And Brady currently is on pace for 5,390.

So if those patterns hold, Brees will indeed break Marino’s record.  But Brady, not Brees, will hold the record going forward.

52 responses to “Brees isn’t thinking about Marino’s record, yet

1. As a Tom Brady and Drew Brees fan I gotta say: I hate these “on pace to break x records” discussions. Talk about it at the end of the season when someone is actually close. So many things can happen between now and then that could make this entire discussion so pointless…

Having lived through the season of 18-1 I can tell you, don’t waste energy declaring victory before it actually happens.

Unless you coach the Jets and it’s the only way you can sleep at night.

2. We’ll see passing records being set regularly as the league continues to soften the rules to aid the pass game. It’s all about putting butts in the seats and QBs that make big pass plays sell the brand.

3. Brees could have the record,if you saw the last game the Saints played that year he had Lance Moore WIDE open in the flat. He would have gotten the yards easily,but Brees was going for the win and threw a hail mary hoping to get a TD. It didn’t happen but that just goes to show he’s not in it just for him.

4. It’s a great record and I hope either guy (Brady or Brees) can break it, that would be fun to see.

The passing record I really want to see broken in my lifetime is the Single Game Passing Yards mark of 554 (Norm Van Brocklin 1951).

Brady could have had it in September at Miami if he pressed the issue and Warren Moon could have easily had it in December 1990 but they called off the dogs with a 27-10 lead at KC.

5. I like Brees. He’s a class act, and I hope he takes the record. Count out Brady. He’ll probably chip a fingernail, and It will take him out of contention.

6. What if Rogers beats Bradys record of TD’s in a season, and Brady beats Marinos record of Passing Yards……..That will be like a double rainbow….what will it mean??

7. I just can’t buy into all the QB and receiving records that are going to be trashed in the upcoming years. The game has changed too much with all the safety rules implemented.

Records like Marino’s are on the clock. It’s not a matter of if it’s a matter of when.

😦

8. “Though Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has fewer yards that Brees (3,032), Brady has played one less game. And Brady currently is on pace for 5,390.”

Does anyone remember Sammy Sosa complaining that no one was giving him credit for breaking Roger Maris’ record, even though Mark McGwire had already broken it AND ended the season as the record holder?

My point being….since you mentioned Tom Brady, there will no doubt be a lot of “Cheater” comments.

So I just wanted to point to an example of ACTUAL cheating.

9. Brees needs to pull a Hasselbeck and bic the head already. The thinnning hair frontal looks hilarious in that picture.

10. Marino threw for 5,084.

———-

Interesting that if you remove the 5 and the comma, it starts to look like the kind of record that Tebow might be chasing.

11. saints suck and i look forward to their demise in the playoffs. Just hope it is as good as marshawn lynch’s run last year. love, 2009 vikes(who did it to themselves).

12. Frist to wonder
    One thing have to be said the offense Denver is playing this is not in their thinking they are trying to get 300yds on the ground which game will the people won’t to see?

13. Brady is going to destory this record.. have you seen the teams the patriots have left.. he might even beat his own TD record looking at the teams he has left to play

14. Must be tough being a QB when defenders have to keep their heads on a swivel looking out for NFL pickpockets.

15. nflsucker says:Nov 16, 2011 6:50 PM

Marino threw for 5,084.

———-

——————————————————-
    Thats Awesome!!.. But thats not yards for Tebow.. Its career completions.

16. tfbuckfutter says:
    Nov 16, 2011 6:46 PM

So I just wanted to point to an example of ACTUAL cheating.

__

17. A single season raw yardage record may be in jeopardy. It’s interesting, but I’ve never understood the focus on raw yardage. I mean, negative yards for INT returns aren’t subtracted for one thing. There’s no direct correlation to points or wins. Both could break the record and still be sitting at home in early February.

18. I would like to see how Marino would fair in this new offensive friendly era…it would pretty impressive i believe.

19. Can we drop all the patriots cheating comments all the Rex Ryan feet comments and all the other crap comments we see as soon as someone mentions a team or player.

20. That would make TWO examples of ACTUAL cheating that you mentioned, idiot Pats fan. Sosa’s cheating and Brady’s.

________________________

3 examples, McGwire was juiced up too.

21. None of them will ever break Brett Favre’s records of most career wins, tds, yards, completions, Consecutive Games Started, attempts, oh yeah and INTS!!

22. Damko12 are Rex Ryan fat jokes still ok? What about Brett Favre weiner jokes?

Pft can’t survive without them.

23. In the words of Jim Carrey on Liar Liar… look at that tupe on Brees’ head, “I dont know whether to laught at it or scrape it off and bury it with a shovel”!

24. xxwhodatxx….as neither a Aints fan or a Vikes fan, you shouldve lost against the Vikings. The fact is that the Aints got beat up and down know your role boulevard and somehow got lucky. Saints still shouldnt have a championship in their pathetic history. The fact is they hurt every qb they came across and thats dirty. All i can say is what goes around comes around and brees has gone far too long without an injury. Thats ok, Rodgers and the Pack put them back where they belonged. Once the Aints, Always will be the Aints. Trash team for a trashy city. Hope you have your brown paper bags ready for your head because theyre going back on again sometime soon.

25. tdrundmc says: Nov 16, 2011 9:27 PM

captain check down

ok hater…saints lead the league in yacs(and i dont mean vomitting, idiot!)

26. He isnt thinking about marinos record huh? What about against the rams with 50 secs to go and the game was well over, drove 80 yards with desperation to throw a td pass to keep that streak alive.. And he aint thinking about no records?

27. I would give Brees the edge over Brady in this race because of the dome. But then Brady’s schedule looks to be more amenable to the task. This should be interesting.

28. Once Marino’s Record, Always Marino’s record. Try sending Brady and Brees back to 1984 and see if they’re even close. Marino was also a young quarterback and didn’t get the kind of protection from the refs like Brady and Brees get now.

It’s like the home run record. Babe Ruth hit 59 homeruns at the Polo Grounds with a dead ball in 1921. For a left handed hitter he had to hit it 450 feet just to squeak it over the fence in right center. Statistics say that he would’ve hit 120 that year if he played in today’s game.

Records were meant to be broken, but it doesn’t mean that Brady or Brees are better

29. The schedule brady has is easy, very easy. Plus weather doesn’t seem to affect it: last year he shredded the bears defense on a blizzard.

30. Nov 16, 2011 11:36 PM

tdrundmc says: Nov 16, 2011 9:27 PM

captain check down

ok hater…saints lead the league in yacs(and i dont mean vomitting, idiot!)

——————–

I don’t agree with the captain checkdown comment, but leading the league in yacs isn’t helping your opinion.

31. jcd213 says:
    Nov 16, 2011 9:58 PM

________________________

3 examples, McGwire was juiced up too.

_
    Good catch, jcd.

Though neither Sosa nor McGwire ever got fined for the cheating like the Pats did. LMAO

32. Something to think about: Brady’s record is far easier than Brees’ and yet this also means that the Pats will go 13-3 and clinch the number one seed. And you know there’s no way in hell Belichick is going to have Brady play in a meaningless game just to break Marino’s record.