Vikings sign Benny Sapp

AP

When last we saw cornerback Benny Sapp, he was being beaten by Wes Welker for a 99-yard touchdown on the first Monday night of the season.

That play got Sapp his walking papers from Miami, but the veteran has resurfaced in Minnesota. With Antoine Winfield hitting the injured reserve on Wednesday after fracturing his clavicle on Monday night, the Vikings signed Sapp to take his place on the roster.

It is Sapp’s second stint with the Vikings, who traded him to Miami before the 2010 season for wide receiver Greg Camarillo. Sapp played 30 games for the Vikings over two years, starting 11 times and recording a pair of interceptions. He’s familiar with the team’s defensive scheme, which should allow him to get on the field fairly quickly.

Jeremy Fowler of the Pioneer Press spoke to Sapp after he made his return to the team and to the NFL, something Sapp wasn’t sure would ever happen.

37 responses to “Vikings sign Benny Sapp

1. I keep reading posts about how bad the Vikings defensive backs are and I do not disagree with them but take some time and review the league, the teams that do not pressure the qb the defensive backs are looking real bad. I watch all the games some live and some replay and you give the qb’s time to throw outside of Denver they will eat up the defensive backs.

2. I thought the low point of your career was the last time that Rogers burned you 4 times including a touchdown in 2009. Good thing you won’t have to play him again…..

3. thankheavenfornumberseven says:
    Nov 16, 2011 4:43 PM
    Wow, so now we have both Benny Sapp and Greg Camarillo. That’s what I call having your cake and eating it too.

__
    Too bad that your “cake” right now consists of horse manure and dog crap.

4. chatham10 says:
    Nov 16, 2011 4:42 PM

__
    The Vikings have the current NFL leader in sacks, so much for your theory. Also, as a team Minnesota is 3rd in the league in sacks (tied with the Skins, another team with crappy DBs). You can probably add Philly and Miami to that list of teams that get after the QB but have horrible secondaries.

5. @ chatham10:

Thank you for beating me to the punch regarding the Vikes pass rush. However, you are wrong about Miami’s secondary. The D has played lights out the past two weeks. The differance has been that Miami finally has a pass rush. For the first part of the season opposing QBs had all day to throw the ball…see Miami v. Pats week 1 for an example. Miami’s secondary covers people very well. If the QB has all day to throw then no one can cover that long. I will admit that the secondary sucks at catching interceptions. There is no doubt about that!…LOL. But to call Miami’s secondary horrible is just not true. For the first part of the season Miami’s pass rush was absolutly non existant.

6. “There was a point in time I thought I wasn’t going to play football again,” said Sapp. “That was probably the lowest of my career.”

I guess chasing after guys who have just burned him is what he considers playing football? There is a reason the Vikings got rid of him in the first place, and the secondary sucked then too.

7. bozosforall says:

thankheavenfornumberseven says:

__
    Too bad that your “cake” right now consists of horse manure and dog crap.

Uh . . . I think you may have missed the sarcasm inherent in heavenforseven’s statement. Additional commentary not really needed.

8. wtfru2 says: Nov 16, 2011 5:17 PM

—————————————————————

Explain. I thought MN beat Rodgers twice in 09?

9. I think he got burned twice on MNF. He sucks and so does the mn secondary. Where was greenway/erin h. on mnf? who was blocking charles woodson? who was watching the packers wr’s in the endzone? why did sullivan not block woodson who was coming straight in? How many times did AP run in the 2nd half? Ponder alsmost got picked agin by woodson on shancoe. I mean they were as TERRIBLE as I have ever seen them. Do I bother to even watch these guys? They should be 1-8. If they can’t beat the panthers flat out and have to win because of a missed FG…they just suck and leslie justs sits there like duh!

10. 31st padd D in the league and they lost Winfield? Wow … Palmer is going to torch that dome till it implodes …. again.

11. Now that he’s with the Vikes, he’s got a chance to be scorched by the Packers wideouts instead of the Pats.

I guess that’s a step up. Right?

12. threedeep1998 says:
    Nov 16, 2011 6:42 PM
    wtfru2 says: Nov 16, 2011 5:17 PM

—————————————————————

Explain. I thought MN beat Rodgers twice in 09?

————————————–

Explain, Rodger is 5-2 against the vikequeers since becoming the starting QB.

It’s just so entertaining to see you sorry a$$ purple excrement balls on here drawing attention to any stat, game or season that you can where the lavender Larry’s have bettered the Champs. Tell me, does that help you ease the pain from the bludgeoning your pathetically weak ego took from the 45-7 drumming?

13. WOW, Smart mouth Packer fans with all the answers, Be sure to remember to cheer your Packers on when Belt Boy retires or gets hit in the head. Be sure to hang Ted Thompson out to dry when thing do go your way, Short memories we have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. gb4mn0 says:
    Nov 16, 2011 8:54 PM
    threedeep1998 says:
    Nov 16, 2011 6:42 PM
    wtfru2 says: Nov 16, 2011 5:17 PM

————————————–

Explain, Rodger is 5-2 against the vikequeers since becoming the starting QB.

————————–

As if you didn’t already look like an idiot……

So which loss are you not counting, the one in 2008 or one of the ones in 2009? I know you rely on selective history in order to maintain your tentative grasp on what little masculinity you have, but even looking through those green and gold blinders you should be able to recognize that 5 and 2 don’t make 8…..

And speaking of pathetically weak egos…..how is yours?

15. brewdogg says:
    Nov 16, 2011 10:26 PM
    gb4mn0 says:
    Nov 16, 2011 8:54 PM
    threedeep1998 says:
    Nov 16, 2011 6:42 PM
    wtfru2 says: Nov 16, 2011 5:17 PM

————————————–

Explain, Rodger is 5-2 against the vikequeers since becoming the starting QB.

————————–

As if you didn’t already look like an idiot……

And speaking of pathetically weak egos…..how is yours?
    ——————————–
    Sorry to disappoint you but my ego isn’t that weak that I can’t admit when I’ve made a mistake. But my type-0 doesn’t take away from the weakness of the point you were attempting to make.

As far as my grasp on what little masculinity I have goes, well I guess I’d settle for having a little masculinity in lieu of you because as everyone knows the only masculinity you’ve ever had is in your mouth and up your _ _ _. If they didn’t know it before they do now.

16. OK “GBblows” and others…

Let’s just call it what it is in terms of recent history:

1) When GB had no offensive line MN threw him around like a rag doll and GB lost twice that year.

2) When he has HAD time he has carved up MN defense (as well as pretty much every other team in the league for that matter.

I’m a life long MN fan, but a fact is a fact. Right now the GB packers are hands-down the best team in the league, and Rogers is just LETHAL when he has protection.

Their secondary is a bit shaky, but when you can score at will, it may not matter unless someone can keep the ball away from Rogers for about 59 minutes….

17. Raiders are goibg to run it up there @sses then hit DM17 and DHB85 deep its ganna be epic raider ball. We just gatta stp AP28, he is a beast

18. @gb4mn0

You must be the guy that gets the crap kicked out of him at the bar. You are the mouthiest weasel on this site. At what point does the Green Bay Packer’s winning make you cool. Did you forget you don’t have anything to do with it? Unless this is Aaron Rodgers posting.