Coughlin: Nothing good happens at 2:30 in the morning

New York Giants v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz hit the deck at a New York nightclub around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday morning when he heard gunfire.

“As soon as it happened, my girlfriend and my baby went through my mind,” Cruz said Wednesday via the New York Post. “I said, ‘This is it for me. I’ve got to stay away from this kind of stuff.’ ”

Tom Coughlin agrees after talking about the situation with Cruz.

“Thank God he was safe,” Coughlin said. “I would speak to him as a parent would speak to his son. I don’t know what happens good at 2:30 or 3 in the morning. I’ve never been able to figure that one out.”

As someone with a newborn, I can confirm nothing fun happens after 2:30 in the morning. But that’s probably not what Coughlin means.

Cruz and defensive lineman Chris Canty were the only Giants that were confirmed to be in the nightclub at the time of the shooting. They did nothing wrong, but Cruz says the incident was enough to bring back some violent memories of growing up in Paterson, New Jersey.

“Just when you think you’ve strayed away from that lifestyle a little bit and you’re one of the fortunate ones to get away, it happens again,” Cruz said.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Coughlin: Nothing good happens at 2:30 in the morning”
  1. The Commish says: Nov 17, 2011 9:08 AM

2:30 AM … or as Tom Coughlin calls it, “2:25 AM.”

2. joetoronto says: Nov 17, 2011 9:12 AM

Coughlin is stating the obvious, yet some here will disagree with crap like “they should be able to do what they want whenever they want.”

Bullcrap.

3. marinemundy says: Nov 17, 2011 9:14 AM

Has Plaxico Burress’ whereabouts been confirmed?

4. wheresmyjuice says: Nov 17, 2011 9:14 AM

As someone who’s been on the hunt at last call, I vehemently disagree.

5. sdelmonte says: Nov 17, 2011 9:16 AM

Sometimes babies are born at 2:30 am, so good things can happen then.

6. jasku880 says: Nov 17, 2011 9:22 AM

New York + night club + gun + shooting… I thought this was about plaxico

7. supashug says: Nov 17, 2011 9:25 AM

Santa comes in the middle of the night

8. bosutton says: Nov 17, 2011 9:31 AM

Joetoronto: this is why Canada can’t have nice things. If you can’t think of something fun to do at 2:30 in the morning I feel bad for you

9. theslick50 says: Nov 17, 2011 9:45 AM

Ain’t nothing out this late but the devil and the devil’s helper.

10. kev86 says: Nov 17, 2011 9:46 AM

I had some good times from 2am-5am back in my 20′s. Just being honest.

Nice to see Coughlin serving as a father like figure to Cruz who grew up without one though.

GO BLUE!

11. blackqbwhiterb says: Nov 17, 2011 9:52 AM

The only thing you’re doing in a club at 2:30 am is what you shouldn’t be doing, especially if you have a job, a girlfriend and a baby…..

12. lucky5934 says: Nov 17, 2011 9:53 AM

Well Marinemundy,

No confirmed self-inflicted wounds to one’s own leg. So I doubt he was there.

13. chocolatebaconbutter says: Nov 17, 2011 10:30 AM

My good friend went as Plax for Halloween this year. It was epic. He had like 4XL sweatpants with a big hole and “blood” everywhere coming from it. Of course matching fake gun in tote. I’m telling you guys it was dead on.

14. luckynumberlucas says: Nov 17, 2011 10:41 AM

Many good things happen after 2:30…

Countless parties, countless clubbings, countless girls I’ve met, the great times I had after 2:30 …

But of course, I don’t go out where all those gangbangers and ghetto kids think they need to jump around with their guns…

As a matter of fact, we have no gangs where I live, because I live in a civilized country…

15. cshearing says: Nov 17, 2011 10:49 AM

bosutton says: Nov 17, 2011 9:31 AM

—————————————————-
    Please do not equate this guy with all Canadians.

16. trbowman says: Nov 17, 2011 11:00 AM

Coughlin is awesome.

17. thesmedman says: Nov 17, 2011 11:09 AM

Sleep happens at 2:25 or 2:30am…

18. jackfnburton says: Nov 17, 2011 11:37 AM

Damn. I just wish I lived somewhere that had clubs open at 3AM. You New Yorkers should consider yourselves lucky. LOL

19. pack15forever says: Nov 17, 2011 12:02 PM

Some of the most fun I’ve ever had was at 2:30AM. LOL.

20. rozz513 says: Nov 17, 2011 12:05 PM

Nothing good happens after 2:30 AM? Clearly Coughlin has never seen Jersey Shore.

21. jdandcoke says: Nov 17, 2011 12:10 PM

glad to see that victor has apparently woken up. and TC is entirely correct. for those who think he isnt, try being a cop in a big city for twenty plus years……the insanity that youd wind up witnessing would make you look at that time of the morning in a whole new light. seriously….its NOT a good time to be doing anything other than sleeping.

22. dexterismyhero says: Nov 17, 2011 12:24 PM

It’s always 2:30 am somewhere!!

23. nillionrock says: Nov 17, 2011 12:49 PM

Some of the funnest moments of my life have occurred at 2:30 AM.

24. nflfollower says: Nov 17, 2011 12:53 PM

Sounds like what my old man used to say. And you know what? He was right.

25. granadafan says: Nov 17, 2011 12:55 PM

Coughlin is definitely too old. If Cruz is blowing off a little steam and permission from the girlfriend to go I don’t see much issue. He wasn’t involved and didn’t carry a gun (that we know). He also has more class than to wear sweatpants to a club than other ghetto players.

26. NoHomeTeam says: Nov 17, 2011 12:56 PM

“Just when you think you’ve strayed away from that lifestyle a little bit and you’re one of the fortunate ones to get away, it happens again”

So, he was minding his own business, at home with his girlfriend and baby, and this happened to him? If I understand this correctly, “the life” just came walking up out of the past and dragged this poor guy to a club at 2 a.m.?

Man, do I hate when that “happens.”

27. bossplayer213 says: Nov 17, 2011 12:59 PM

Not sure why time of the day is relevant here. Violence happens at all types of times during the day. This could have just as easily happened at 10 PM, then what do we say? That he can’t celebrate his birthday outside his home? The incident had nothing to do with Cruz, he was just unlucky to be there. This literally could have happened anywhere at any time.

28. ilovefoolsball says: Nov 17, 2011 1:18 PM

Seriously why is he at a nightclub at 2:30 am when he has a girlfriend and a baby.

Me thinks someone has been naughty.

29. childressrulz says: Nov 17, 2011 2:33 PM

sdelmonte says: Nov 17, 2011 9:16 AM

Sometimes babies are born at 2:30 am, so good things can happen then.
    ___________________________
    Depends on your view of babies!

30. n0hopeleft says: Nov 17, 2011 2:43 PM

Victor Cruz does a mean salsa!

Right Philly?!

31. dd393 says: Nov 17, 2011 9:09 PM

I thought Albert Haynesworth was mentoring Josh Freeman.

32. coolerheadssince88 says: Nov 18, 2011 6:59 PM

Nothing good happens at 2:30 in the morning? Um, I’m ususally at work…I thought that was a good thing?