Eagles’ Steve Smith expects Giants fans to be “brutal”

Steve Smith AP

Eagles receiver Steve Smith will be in New Jersey on Sunday night playing against his old team, and he doesn’t expect Giants fans to welcome him with open arms.

“I had some big years, but I came to Philly, so the reception might not be that good,” Smith told Mike Garafolo of the Star-Ledger. “New York fans are pretty brutal.”

Although Giants fans might take it personally that Smith decided to sign with the Eagles rather than return to the Giants, Smith says it’s a business, and the Eagles were offering him a better contract.

“I would rather have more money in my pocket and be able to play football,” Smith said.

So far this season Smith hasn’t been playing much football — he has just 10 catches for 110 yards.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Eagles’ Steve Smith expects Giants fans to be “brutal””
  1. howiefeltersnatch says: Nov 17, 2011 7:43 AM

New York fans can be pretty brutal. Why is Pat Shurmur a head coach in the NFL?

2. nevin999 says: Nov 17, 2011 7:47 AM

Steve Smith is a Giant in an Eagle’s uniform.

3. rugdaniels says: Nov 17, 2011 7:53 AM

When does Smith think he’ll be booed? How many times a game does the ball come his way?

Smith was one of my favorite Giants. I was mad that they let him get away and disappointed he signed with a rival. I’d still welcome him back though.

4. cleverbob says: Nov 17, 2011 7:54 AM

Hopefully the Giants organization is stupid enough to not change their 2 minute drill signals…

5. nflfollower says: Nov 17, 2011 7:54 AM

He regrets it… playing for Philly right now is what’s brutal.

6. factoryofsadness says: Nov 17, 2011 7:57 AM

What does the last part of his quote even mean, “…and be able to play football”?

He just needs to say, “I would rather have more money in my pocket.”

7. greenpacker says: Nov 17, 2011 8:01 AM

Giants fans expect Steve Smith to be “inactive”

thats coming from a Packers fan so you know its true AND funny

8. mrf47 says: Nov 17, 2011 8:03 AM

It’s ok, Steve. You can come back and play for the Giants next year after your knee heals.

9. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 17, 2011 8:03 AM

We couldn’t care less about Steven Smith. He is a total non-factor. Although I’d appreciate a vintage Steve Smith tipped ball INT into Ross or Amukamara’s arms.

10. pixelito says: Nov 17, 2011 8:07 AM

Cruz > Smith

Funny how life works out….

11. snarkzilla says: Nov 17, 2011 8:07 AM

Yeah, well, he’s also got a QB who wants to make the newsreel on every play.

12. gmen424 says: Nov 17, 2011 8:12 AM

So much for the players claiming “they play for the love not the money” in all honesty didn’t the eagles only offer him like 500,000 more?

13. jasku880 says: Nov 17, 2011 8:13 AM

Hope you enjoyed your last “big pay day”. What a way to ruin your career and lose fan base.

14. dopesimms says: Nov 17, 2011 8:23 AM

They were hot and mad in the pre-season Steve Smith. The Giants are 6 – 3. The Eagles are 3 – 6. They don’t give a crap about you anymore Steve Smith.

15. naeem42 says: Nov 17, 2011 8:35 AM

I harbor no ill will towards Steve Smith. I’ll remember him for the good times he had for the Giants, highlighted by the 3rd and 11 conversion one play before the Plax TD in XLII. Philly offered him more money and he took it. Who wouldn’t?

I was more annoyed with the Giants when I found out Smith would be ready for Week 1. Turns out, though, they might have been right after all. He might have been able to play, but he wasn’t the same. Looks like he needs a season to get back, like Kenny Phillips.

I realize the mob mentality will take over Giants Stadium whenever he does anything and he’ll get booed. Still, I think most Giants fans would welcome a healthy Smith back.

16. oaklandraidersfan69 says: Nov 17, 2011 8:42 AM

Steve smith is terrible and probably has herpes

17. zaggs says: Nov 17, 2011 8:43 AM

You sure he’s talking about the fans? Sounds more like his play.

18. JustinT45 says: Nov 17, 2011 8:47 AM

I would be “brutal” too if I had to cheer for the sucky giants all the time… and I hope they are being brutal toward you, that would probably mean you not dropping balls that turn into interceptions for them… remember that??? idiot…

19. Will says: Nov 17, 2011 8:54 AM

“I would rather have more money in my pocket and be able to play football,”

It’s passionate players like this that have my Eagles playing so well!

…wait a minute…

Thank goodness I like hockey.

20. grbigblue says: Nov 17, 2011 9:09 AM

No need to boo, one chant says it all:

Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuz

21. nfl fan says: Nov 17, 2011 9:30 AM

———————————————-

Really Steve? Will it be worth it for a one-year deal, learning a new offense, alienating a giants fan base, being a non-factor in Philly, then being kicked to the curb after this season?

Funny how Philly fans now feel the same way about you as giants fans, and can you blame them?

22. kev86 says: Nov 17, 2011 9:37 AM

Hey Steve..dont flatter yourself and dont take it personal. We dont like Eagles.

23. gcsuk says: Nov 17, 2011 9:55 AM

“New York fans are pretty brutal.”

And Philly fans are known for being thoughtful, caring, and compassionate?

24. chocolatebaconbutter says: Nov 17, 2011 10:10 AM

Can someone please remind me of how many Super Bowls the Eagles have won? I just can’t seem to remember…

25. sicklife1 says: Nov 17, 2011 10:37 AM

Steve, we’re over it. You’re probably hoping to get booed so that you know you still have some relevance in the Giants fans eyes, which you do not. Way to steal money from a rival though…we do appreciate that.

26. bobbyhoying says: Nov 17, 2011 10:42 AM

Giants fans should love him. He drops everything thrown his way. Coughlin obviously sent him to Philly with instructions to do that.

27. mjzaky says: Nov 17, 2011 10:51 AM

He’s right, Giants fans are like whiny little kids with no attention spans… and I say this as a die-hard Giants fan. We have barely any homefield advantage- if the Giants are down, the crowd is dead. The opposite should be true we’re supposed to pump our team up! Kudos to fans of teams like the Packers, Seahawks, and Chiefs where there’s a real homefield advantage. There’s a reason this team won it all in 2007-08 on the road!

That said, SS12 (I guess 11 now) is right- Giants fans will boo the crap out of him. But lets not forget what a great player he was for us, and that key 3rd and 11 he converted for us in the Super Bowl as a rookie. A brilliant player in every regard except for the fact that he was dumb enough to sign with the Eagles who signed him only to keep him away from the Giants. You got tricked, Steve– and Victor Cruz has been the beneficiary of your stupidity. We’re not complaining as a result! Have fun riding that Philly pine.

28. b1rdbath says: Nov 17, 2011 10:56 AM

Steve Smith is a double agent. He should be cheered at Giant stadium.

29. torturedraiderfan says: Nov 17, 2011 12:14 PM

Giant fans are really nervous with Steve Smith coming to town. With 10 receptions for 110 years in 9 games playing for a team that has gone 3-6, he’s really been a difference maker. Crafty move by the Eagles paying him $2.3MM for one season. Let’s see what he says about Eagle fans next year when he’s dropping balls for a different team.

30. n0hopeleft says: Nov 17, 2011 2:50 PM

Benedict Arnold

31. axespray says: Nov 17, 2011 6:43 PM

giants’ fans: “who’s steve smith?”