Turnover turns the tide in Denver

New England Patriots v New York Jets Getty Images

At a time when the NFL is obsessed with the question of whether Tim Tebow ever will be a real NFL quarterback, it’s easy to forget that the jury is still out on whether Mark Sanchez deserves that title, either.

Sanchez is looking rough on Thursday night, with a pick six moments ago allowing the Broncos to tie the game at 10, late in the third quarter.

Though Sanchez has completed 18 of 25 passes, some of his misses have been ugly, including an early misfire in the red zone that should have been a walk-in score for Santonio Holmes.

The Jets can still win this one.  And Sanchez can be the catalyst.  But if they lose and fall to 5-5 with six to play, it will be difficult to get to the postseason.  If the Jets can’t get to the postseason, it could be time to start thinking about other alternatives at quarterback.

Or maybe the Jets can run the spread option.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
66 Responses to “Turnover turns the tide in Denver”
  1. canetic says: Nov 17, 2011 10:52 PM

When will Rex be fired? Time to implode this mess.

2. caseyanthonymunoz says: Nov 17, 2011 10:53 PM

This is painful to watch. Two atrocious QBs running two horrible offenses. I give Fox a pass because he just got there and has zero weapons but Rex should be embarrassed.

3. habsman says: Nov 17, 2011 10:58 PM

He hasn’t been the same since the GQ spread. If he just would “come out” and make it official I think it would relieve a lot of pressure on the young man and maybe improve his play.

4. stanmark says: Nov 17, 2011 11:01 PM

Well said habsman. We see the leagues “BEST” defense vs the leagues “WORST” offense, and it’s tied at the 4th. Triple G R. Is the worst.

5. raideralex99 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:01 PM

How does Miller keep getting away with the late hits on the QBs.

6. steelerhypocrite says: Nov 17, 2011 11:07 PM

Hey NY, what’s it like having that piece of crap as your qb? You’re better off putting that little midget fireman out there…

7. maxvv says: Nov 17, 2011 11:09 PM

Okay, Jets fan.

I’m done with Sanchez. At this point, the horrible playcalling and the horrible quarterbacking are just feeding each other in an unending loop of horribleness. Sanchez is so neutered/awful we’ve basically got Chad Pennington with no accuracy. If this is the way it’s going to be, I don’t see why we should renew his contract.

That having been said, the commenter who said Rex should be fired is all kinds of stupid. Just because you think he’s obnoxious doesn’t mean he’s a bad coach.

8. shaggytoodle says: Nov 17, 2011 11:12 PM

Watching this game makes appreciate what MVP front runner Aaron Rodgers does even more.

9. thejuddstir says: Nov 17, 2011 11:16 PM

The worst is we will have to listen to Rex keep telling us how good Sanchez is…..the jets are a joke, sanchez is a bigger joke and rex is the biggest joke but he keeps jets fans drinkin’ the kool-aid.

10. norcalmafia says: Nov 17, 2011 11:16 PM

THis game set back football 30 years…..yaaaaaawn!

11. shaggytoodle says: Nov 17, 2011 11:30 PM

Tebow needs a nickname I vote for

The Duchess.

12. gatorprof says: Nov 17, 2011 11:33 PM

Tebow time…again!

13. rarson says: Nov 17, 2011 11:35 PM

I think this game is illustrative of the fact that Sanchez is obviously the biggest problem with the Jets. If they win, it’ll be in spite of him. They have a lot of weapons, and he’s getting decent protection, but he’s still not producing.

Ryan can say all he wants that Sanchise is the man, but he obviously isn’t, and standing behind him just makes him look stupid. Which is all the more puzzling since Rex sometimes publicly derides him.

I think Rex just doesn’t have a better option at QB.

14. gmenmunny says: Nov 17, 2011 11:35 PM

Tebow > Sanchez

15. packfaninvikeland says: Nov 17, 2011 11:38 PM

LOL 95 yard drive, Tebow game winning TD, I dont even like Tebow, but I sure dont hate him. Give credit where its due, he shows it doesnt have to look pretty, cute and sexy and be a robot like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, not saying he is going to lead them to a SB anytime soon at all.. Again, you don’t have to like him but can you people just give the kid credit and move on? Haters..dont quit your day job.

16. drunkenagitator says: Nov 17, 2011 11:38 PM

I’m stunned, the Jests just won the Super Bowl back in August.

17. shaggytoodle says: Nov 17, 2011 11:41 PM

Does Fox need to be considered for coach of the year for the turnaround?

18. doggz109 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:42 PM

Jets just got Tebowed.

19. norcalmafia says: Nov 17, 2011 11:43 PM

Oh god now were gonna have to hear about Tebow the rest of the week,its not that hes great its that the J….E….T……S suck…..suck….suck!

20. 303bengalguy says: Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM

How does Schottenheimer still have a job? or is it all Sanchez’ fault? I say a little of both. Denver’s D isn’t even that good!

21. Andre's Johnson says: Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM

The only people who didn’t like this game are: fans of the Jets, Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders. Oh, and Vince Young.

I’ll be the first to say I thought/hoped Tebow would be a total failure in the NFL. He still might be. But watching him barrell his way around the field, playing a high school offense with five plays and beating Rex Ryan and the Jets…awesome.

I don’t know how long you can get away with playing straight-up option football in the NFL, but think it’s amazing.

Are the Broncos the new AFC West favorites? haha…that’s nuts.

A fullback playing quarterback and winning games. Just absolutely crazy.

btw Von Miller is a beast.

22. cmack21 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM

Kinda glad i didnt watch this game, Thx NFL network …Now we get everybody on sportscenter slobbin on tebow all night. might be a madden night tonight.

23. dvdxtreme says: Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM

After watching this game I have much more appreciation for Tony Romo….

24. tatum064 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM

How stupid does Merrill Hoge look now?

3rd career fourth quarter comeback…

“I hope he shut up a whole bunch of critics today.”
    -Von Miller

25. war27 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM

PI non call on the last play on Plaxico ruins the game

The NFL wants Teblow to win.

26. txtuff says: Nov 17, 2011 11:45 PM

And they lose, I LOVE IT!

27. bucks12965 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:45 PM

I can’t wait to see how PFT explains how this Broncos win had nothing to do with Tebow.

Tebow’s career stats:

12 TDs, 4 INTs, 9 rushing TDs

28. cowboyfan45 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:45 PM

Tim Tebow will never win as a Quarterback in the NFL…..oh….. wait!

29. hghost33 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:47 PM

WOW!!!!

30. mikeheruki says: Nov 17, 2011 11:47 PM

If Southwest Airlines ran the NFL, would Rex have to buy TWO hot seats?

31. boblavoie says: Nov 17, 2011 11:48 PM

Faith is a powerful thing. But I think Tebow should pray for a miracle making passing couch.
    Hey Joe T. you told me you would like to be a QB coach. Denver should give you a call. You think you might be able to fix this kid?
    Don’t forget Joe if you get this job, give me a call!

32. techstar25 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:48 PM

@norcalmafia
    Although that probably wasn’t meant to be complimentary, the NFL was SO MUCH better 30 years ago.

33. raideralex99 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:49 PM

Where was the PI on Burress on the last play of the game??? He was hit before the ball was even coming down.
    Wow … TWO Miller LATE hits … no calls … what crap. Tebow ball game are fixed!

34. damko12 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:50 PM

OWNED! last sack on 3rd and 10. LIKE A BOSS

35. melkipertoupee says: Nov 17, 2011 11:50 PM

“Or maybe the Jets can run the spread option.”

Nice backhanded comment against the Broncos and Tebow…oh wait a minute…they won.

Bottom line
    ————
    6.5-point underdogs at home
    95-yard drive to win the game

36. gosuhgo says: Nov 17, 2011 11:52 PM

I have no horse to back in this but Rex has 2 AFC championship games in 2 years…come on now. You can’t fire that.

37. turdfurgerson68 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:52 PM

I’ll tell you how to fix the NY Jets…its simple really: SCHOTTY MUST GO!!! SCHOTTY MUST GO!!! SCHOTTY MUST GO!!!

38. earthtopft says: Nov 17, 2011 11:52 PM

TeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeBowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. tfbuckfutter says: Nov 17, 2011 11:52 PM

Does anyone else see the poetry in the believer defeating gluttony, sloth, wrath, envy, and pride?

40. stoutfiles says: Nov 17, 2011 11:53 PM

The Jets have made the AFC championship the past two years, so no, the Jets won’t be firing Rex Ryan. He’s very annoying but he makes the team relevant.

As for Sanchez, well…he is garbage. They win in spite of him, and it’s about time they start trying to draft a replacement. He’s always going to be mediocre.

41. claytonweishuhn says: Nov 17, 2011 11:53 PM

Oh, my God that was horrific. Bill Walsh is spinning in his grave like the freakin’ Tasmanian Devil. At least the Jets lost. I suddenly don’t feel so good about that win over the Jets last week. Ugh.

42. tacoslinger619 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:54 PM

Nothing like watching some high school football on a thursday night!!!!!!

43. jagerbmb says: Nov 17, 2011 11:54 PM

Next Headline on PFT is…

Rex gets Tebowed

or

Tebow has outperformed the Dream Team

or

Rex is flabbergasted

44. drunkenagitator says: Nov 17, 2011 11:55 PM

Too bad August had to end for the Jets, we all know it’s their best month. Rex just announced he’s declaring his team the early line 2012 SB favorites.

45. chuckihendrix9 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:55 PM

I’m not a Tebow fan, but I thought that was awesome!

46. broncobeta says: Nov 17, 2011 11:56 PM

Yes, he wasn’t that good for 3 quarters.

But Tebow turned the tide in the 4th quarter. That drive was was almost a single-handed effort.

47. savagenation2011 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:57 PM

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEBOW turns the tide in Denver. Keep hating haters!

48. rexryanisablowhard says: Nov 17, 2011 11:57 PM

I always knew jesus hated rexy as much as I do.

49. damnyoulinelliot says: Nov 17, 2011 11:57 PM

ugh, great. Here we go with ESPN’s week-long “Tebow’s the hero again” storylines. Gahhhh!!!

50. tdk24 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:58 PM

Great play by Tebow to win the game, but why was the block Cromartie in the endzone not holding? The WR is holding his jersey and not allowing him to even move. And it wasn’t a split second hold, it was for about the last 15 yards of the run. I know it happens every game, but that, to me, is blatant holding and should be called every time.

51. damnyoulinelliot says: Nov 17, 2011 11:59 PM

Did the Jets get “Tebowed” or did they get “Sanchized”?

52. dowhatifeellike says: Nov 18, 2011 12:01 AM

Not only was the game boring but it was loooong.

53. dirtdawg55 says: Nov 18, 2011 12:01 AM

Ha, ha! Sexy Rexy and the two time SB champion Jets got beat by Gene Stallings and Texas A&M tonight! Beautiful!

Is there an debate about either of these QBs? Tebow can run but my lord he’s brutal in the pocket. Yeah, I know, I know … he just wins. Yeah, against horrible teams. Tebow can barely throw an out to the flat never mind stand in the pocket and hit wide open receivers twelve yards downfield. What a joke! The best part is he is winning which will convince every Bronco fan at there he can continue to win, setting back their team for even longer. Enjoy the wishbone offense – it is the belly putter of the NFL.

As for Sanchez, what a flake. He obviously went to the McNabb School of the Bounce Pass. Great play in the NBA, not so much in the NFL.

Loving it. Definitely a candidate for worst game of the year, Tebowmania will be in full bloom (which will only prove the media are mindless sheep) and the Jets are floundering on their way towards a three-peat.

54. cowhawkfan says: Nov 18, 2011 12:02 AM

Lots of comments by NY fans. How’s it feel to be T’Bowed? I’m not a Denver fan, but didn’t the Jets talk crap about how they were gonna stop Tbow? He didnt do much, but he did run it down their throat at the end. And I personally love watching the Tbone offense. I love watch a team just try to shove the run down the other teams throat. Both Defenses actually looked pretty good. If u r a Jets fan, this game sucked, but if u are a Denver fan, Tebow fan, hate NY or enjoy the underdog, it was fun to watch!

LOVED IT!!!

55. rushmatic says: Nov 18, 2011 12:03 AM

I’m a Pats fan. I sure as f&$% hope Rex Ryan sticks around. I think (in a small way) it keeps Belichick interested in coaching. And I’ll take Belichick for as long as he’s willing to do it.

I think the rivalry is great. I think Ryan is sometimes amusing. I think sometimes he’s an idiot.

But Sanchez, as good as he is for the Patriots franchise, is so bad. He’s got to go.

56. staffordsyear says: Nov 18, 2011 12:03 AM

I remember a few years ago some crazy people were sayin sanchez would be a better qb than stafford,we can definetly put that one to rest now that stafford is clearly the better qb…and yea these Thursday games stink.

57. rajbais says: Nov 18, 2011 12:05 AM

Not to brag, but I think that I’m the only non-Denver resident to pick the Broncos to win the game!!!

The Jets had no L.T., Shonn Greene, and … isn’t there a cliche about how “it’s hard to defend option”???

58. galvestontexans says: Nov 18, 2011 12:09 AM

I guess it could be worse for the Texans we could have Sanchez

59. tedmurph says: Nov 18, 2011 12:22 AM

Don’t hate on Rex, by 2013 he’ll be one of the best linebacker coaches in the NFL. I’m sure Sanchez will land somewhere as a serviceable backup as well.

60. war27 says: Nov 18, 2011 12:25 AM

raideralex99 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:01 PM

How does Miller keep getting away with the late hits on the QBs.

—————-

It’s dropping of his head wen he hits the QB also. They used to call that spearing, at least James Harrison gets flagged for it every time.

61. j0esixpack says: Nov 18, 2011 12:50 AM

I’m beginning to question whether Rex Ryan’s guarantee that the Jets will win the Super Bowl has any credibility.

62. richm2256 says: Nov 18, 2011 1:12 AM

Let’s see, one of the best defenses in the league was facing a quarterback who threw TWO completions last week.

So how’d that work out for you, Yets fan?

Jets
    Envy
    Tebow’s
    Success

63. fmwarner says: Nov 18, 2011 1:38 AM

tatum064 says: Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM

How stupid does Merrill Hoge look now?
    =================================

He looks pretty stupid, but he should. He’s been practicing for years.

64. tatum064 says: Nov 18, 2011 2:53 AM

shaggytoodle says:
    Nov 17, 2011 11:41 PM
    Does Fox need to be considered for coach of the year for the turnaround?
    =============================
    he’d have to shoot Jim Harbaugh, first.

Not even close.

65. tatum064 says: Nov 18, 2011 2:57 AM

canetic says:
    Nov 17, 2011 10:52 PM
    When will Rex be fired? Time to implode this mess.

============

Yeah, back to getting your asses handed to you by everyone.

So much for back-to-back AFC Championship appearances and hope for sucessful seasons.

Is it Ryan’s fault they lost containment on Tebow and wouldnt tackle him on the last play?

66. jtsel81 says: Nov 18, 2011 10:35 AM

Sanchez is just plain horrible.