Dolphins once again buy tickets to avoid blackout

sun-life-stadium Getty Images

The launch has week of Thursday Night Football has caused us to swap watching NFL games for monitoring the possible blackouts of Sunday contests.

And so the blackouts will have to wait until Fridays.

In Miami, there will be no blackout on Sunday for the 106th straight regular-season game because, for the fourth time in five games, the Dolphins and/or a sponsor have purchased the remaining non-premium tickets.

The 2-7 Dolphins host the 5-4 Bills.

The local CBS affiliate, which will televise the game, contributed to the effort.  Under little-known league rules, unsold non-premium seats can be purchased by the home team at 34 cents on the dollar.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Dolphins once again buy tickets to avoid blackout”
  1. haywoodjablomee says: Nov 18, 2011 8:05 AM

The reason for the poor sales is that the Giants and Jets are not having that good of a season.

2. grpatriot says: Nov 18, 2011 8:12 AM

Dance to the left, dance to the right…We’re the only game in town!

3. SRL says: Nov 18, 2011 8:13 AM

Well it’s not a ‘little known’ rule because you bang on about it every week and nobody really cares

4. stanmark says: Nov 18, 2011 8:28 AM

Now that the Jets and their “best” defense in the league were just exposed as the pretenders that everyone knew they were, this game becomes all the more important.

5. johnnyb216 says: Nov 18, 2011 8:37 AM

Taking a page right out of the vikings book I see. Nice.

6. tomtravis76 says: Nov 18, 2011 8:52 AM

Steve Ross must shake his head when he looks at his ticket sales staff , who can’t sell out an NFL game. Ross, should walk into his ticket sales department and make sure everyone associated with selling tickets for his NFL team, who made him spend extra money out of his pocket, when it is their job to sell out his stadium, had their desks cleaned out and a security escort out the front door.

7. dolphincritic says: Nov 18, 2011 9:28 AM

I wish I could post pictures here! I have pictures of Sun Life stadium 15 minutes before game time. There was me and one other guy in the john. The stands didn’t fill up until half way into the first quarter! Someone told me that they would sell you the Blue deck tickets for the price of lower orange deck seats if you will give them a multi-year contract. Call the place NO-LIFE stadium!

The team still sucks. Vegas took the Bills vs. Dolphins off of the board. Last time I looked we were a 1 point favorite at home. Pathetic! Look, if you really like the Dolphins or really hate the Bills, this is a great time to see a competitive game. They had a great Blues Band playing on the south side last week – maybe they will be back. My wife tried a chicken crepe that was good ! (SE corner – second level)

Of course, a boycott is good too, I guess! I am conflicted – send Ross a message or have fun paying six pack prices for single beers!

8. skane2005 says: Nov 18, 2011 9:52 AM

This doesnt make sense. Doesn’t the team basically own most of the stadium? I could be wrong there. So who is paying who for the tickets?