Herzlich expected to get first defensive snaps

M. Herzlich Getty Images

Mark Herzlich’s recovery from cancer has been a terrific story to follow this year.

The former Boston College linebacker made the Giants after going undrafted. He’s been interviewed for 60 Minutes and the Today Show while playing on special teams for New York.

On Sunday, Herzlich is expected to take the next step in his pro development. Look for him to get his first snaps on the Giants defense.

Linebacker Michael Boley won’t play for the Giants Sunday, and Herzlich is expected to help fill in on some sub packages.  It’s another cool step in what has been a great comeback story.

“Watch out for Herzlich now,” Mathias Kiwanuka told the Newark Star-Ledger. “He’s going to play well.”

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Herzlich expected to get first defensive snaps”
  1. msclemons67 says: Nov 19, 2011 4:16 PM

Herzlich was a top-notch linebacker before he had chemo treatment for cancer. It takes a good two years to recover strength after that sort of treatment and it’s been two years for Herzlich.

This kid has got the heart of a lion. Can’t wait to see him playing on D.

2. zaggs says: Nov 19, 2011 4:25 PM

Hell yeah he is. Still can’t believe the Giants got him for nothing.
    Lets see McCoy say something about Mark being soft!

3. eaglesandravens says: Nov 19, 2011 4:28 PM

As an eagles fan, I really wondered why we didn’t take a chance on Herzlich. I mean its not like he could be any worse than our current starting LBs. Anyways, I am very glad that he will finally play in extensive action, despite it being against us. God bless him.

4. bigblueballs77 says: Nov 19, 2011 4:32 PM

Cant wait to see what he can do on the field. Great guy, great story, go gmen!

5. chris6523 says: Nov 19, 2011 4:41 PM

I was really surprised this kid went undrafted. I was really hoping the pack might take a shot at him with a late round pick.

6. chaser44 says: Nov 19, 2011 4:44 PM

Life long eagles fan and I hate the giants but I hope he plays well. I hope the birds kick their ass but will be rooting for this kid.

7. realitypolice says: Nov 19, 2011 5:11 PM

Actually, ESPN is reporting that Herzlich is starting on Sunday, which is an even cooler story.

8. flaccounibrow says: Nov 19, 2011 5:11 PM

I hope this guy kicks butt! Giants have been my NCF team since ending the patsies run at perfection.

9. tuckyous says: Nov 19, 2011 6:04 PM

Been waiting all year to see this kid play. Could not be happier for him either.

10. legalguy60 says: Nov 19, 2011 6:24 PM

The Eagle fans that wish this kid well….Gentlemen !!!!

11. tatum064 says: Nov 19, 2011 7:20 PM

Great story. Hope he does well for Big Blue.

12. talkintrashallday says: Nov 19, 2011 7:36 PM

If he never had cancer…he would have been cut by now.

13. inditkawetrust says: Nov 19, 2011 7:46 PM

I feel like there are very few feel good stories in the NFL. This is one of them. Cancer is a very scary thing. Hats off to this guy. I’ll be a Giants fan on Sunday night.

14. cmb79 says: Nov 19, 2011 8:25 PM

I cannot wait to see him make that first tackle.

15. fruityromo says: Nov 19, 2011 9:28 PM

I love this story, I’m pulling for this kid. Go get em!

16. murraysons says: Nov 20, 2011 12:05 AM

With some of the clowns the Patriots drafted and signed this year, I’m surprised they didn’t give this guy a shot. Esp with that defense.

17. kylpama3 says: Nov 20, 2011 12:28 AM

If he never had cancer…he would have been cut by now.

How ignorant… If he hadn’t had cancer he would of been a 2nd round pick at worst!

18. gcsuk says: Nov 20, 2011 12:39 AM

talkintrashallday says:
    Nov 19, 2011 7:36 PM
    If he never had cancer…he would have been cut by now.
    ———————————————————-
    No, more likely if he never had cancer, he would have been a first day draft pick. He was the ACC Defensive Player of the Year before he was diagnosed.

Learn what you’re talking about before you make such stupid posts in the future.

19. aigraiders says: Nov 20, 2011 1:19 AM

talkintrashallday says: Nov 19, 2011 7:36 PM

If he never had cancer…he would have been cut by now.
    ———————–
    Dude, go read for once. Mark was considered one of the top LB in the nation and a first round pick before cancer came along. The instincts are still there but the body is taking longer to adapt.

20. buffalodiehard says: Nov 20, 2011 1:37 AM

There will be a lot of people who are currently fighting cancer that will be tuned in rooting for their man.

You can’t put a value on how much wind that will put in their sails!

21. realnflmaster says: Nov 20, 2011 1:53 AM

Who cares. He’s a stiff.

22. rozz513 says: Nov 20, 2011 2:44 AM

What kind of jerk would give the first comment a thumbs down?

23. rozz513 says: Nov 20, 2011 2:51 AM

Or any of the comments for that matter. I mean, a kid beats cancer, and is still able to fulfill his dream. What is there to not like about that? Any thumbs down on the positive comments must be from a hateful ex-girlfriend or something. Get real.

24. norcalirish says: Nov 20, 2011 6:05 AM

As a diehard Notre Dame fan (and alum) I have nothing but the best wishes for this Boston College product— what a great story. Let’s hope it keeps getting better. Cheers.

25. gpete1962 says: Nov 20, 2011 6:17 AM

talkintrashallday says: Nov 19, 2011 7:36 PM

If he never had cancer…he would have been cut by now.
    =====================================

eaglesandravens says: Nov 19, 2011 4:28 PM

====================================

The first comment is from the eagle fan that we’ve all grown to know and hate.

The second is from an Eagle fan that we all wish we could become !!!