Ricky Williams is happy to be a backup in Baltimore

Ravens' Williams stands in the end zone after scoring a touchdown against the Texans in their NFL football game in Baltimore Reuters

In 1999, running back Ricky Williams ruled the league.  Entering as a top-1o pick for whom the Saints gave up their entire draft and then some, Williams’ high-end abilities and enigmatic personality made him one of the most intriguing players in the game.

After a trade to Miami and multiple seasons of back-breaking workloads, Williams abruptly retired in 2004, was suspended for part of 2005, all of 2006, and part of 2007, played in one game in 2007 before suffering an injury, and then appeared in every game from 2008 through 2010, rushing for more than 1,100 yards two years ago.

Williams now has the No. 2 spot on the depth chart in Baltimore, with only 54 carries for 230 yards through nine games.  But he’s very happy with that.

“It’s been interesting,” Williams recently said, via DelawareOnline.com.  “It’s been an adjustment for me, but I love the organization and I love my teammates so I’m having a good time.  I’m enjoying myself. Anytime you play a team sport, the success of the team really makes everything better.  It’s nice.”

Williams has no regrets about choosing the Ravens over the Lions, even though injuries in Detroit would have given him more opportunities in 2011.

“If I’d have gone to the Lions, I’d probably have a chance to touch the ball a little bit more,” Williams said. “But I liked the veteran leadership here and the opportunity this team had to go deep in the playoffs. Since I’m coming to the end of my career, I thought it would be nice to end it on a good team.”

Reduced touches could extend Williams’ career even deeper into his 30s.  And it sounds like he has a home in Baltimore for as long as he wants it.

“Ricky’s played the role exactly that we would like for him to play,” coach John Harbaugh said.  “He’s a very good back.  He’s run the ball hard, he’s broke tackles, made plays for us.  Ricky’s a big part of what we’re doing, and I’m sure glad we got him.”

If Ray Rice gets hurt, the Ravens will need Ricky, too.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Ricky Williams is happy to be a backup in Baltimore”
  1. oriolesvsravens says: Nov 19, 2011 8:39 AM

Maybe its because of the winning record. Ricky has been a good back up here in Baltimore but I don’t know about Ricky. But playing RB in Baltimore isn’t hardest thing to do as of late.

2. steelersownyou says: Nov 19, 2011 8:48 AM

Steelersfans are happy hes a raven also. Washed up never was dope smoking fool!

3. trbowman says: Nov 19, 2011 9:51 AM

Ricky Williams is awesome.

4. goforgin01 says: Nov 19, 2011 10:13 AM

Steelersown0-2, better worry about your own running game.

If Rice goes down, this guy is fresh and can handle it.

5. jimmysee says: Nov 19, 2011 10:19 AM

Thank you, Ricky — we love your candor!

Sincerely,

The NFC North

6. ravensfreak00 says: Nov 19, 2011 10:39 AM

I was thrilled we signed him. Guy comes in, does his job and doesn’t complain. He’s also a very good blocker in the passing game, too.

7. jeepin08 says: Nov 19, 2011 12:33 PM

They should have kept McGahee. Much better RB.

8. vincentbojackson says: Nov 19, 2011 1:02 PM

He likes being the backup to a guy getting 5 carries a game?

Sounds like Rickey is as motivated as ever.

9. cliverush says: Nov 19, 2011 1:27 PM

Having an experienced, big back who can protect the QB makes him very much a valuable player. Ricky can contribute once in while to the offense.

10. steelersownyou says: Nov 19, 2011 1:52 PM

Goforgin01 better worry about bengals. That 4-3 defenae will have flacco even more screwed up than he already is! And we dont need to run the ball. Thats why we have a 2 time super bowl winning QB & you have fluke-o! You need to run the ball. And if youre thinkung williams can come in & do good youre delusional..like most ravens fans. Theres a reason hes a backup genius!

11. phillybirds says: Nov 19, 2011 2:17 PM

RUN RICKY RUN!

god bless the man

12. 1captain1 says: Nov 19, 2011 3:37 PM

Ricky was one of the best backs I have ever seen play the game. He could have been one of the greatest.

But that’s like saying a factory worker could have been one of the greatest factory workers ever…

Doesen’t get you far and as Walter showed it doesen’t get you a liver either.

13. Fantasy Football Legend says: Nov 19, 2011 6:01 PM

I love Ricky and has since day one. But your Miami days are my fav since Miami is my 2nd fav team.

14. bebopa says: Nov 19, 2011 7:27 PM

Ricky will be needed down the road. He is experienced and has at least 2 more good seasons left in him.

15. ppdoc13 says: Nov 20, 2011 11:38 AM

Only complaint about Ricky is that he puts the ball on the ground too much. But he is an outstanding pass blocker, still runs well and has been an exemplarary team player. He can stay as long as he can play.