Cooley thinks Haynesworth hates football

Washington Redskins v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

During the brief time that Chris Cooley and Albert Haynesworth were Redskins teammates, Cooley says he figured Haynesworth out: He has a natural talent for football, but he doesn’t like it very much.

That’s what Cooley told 106.7 The Fan’s Chad Dukes (via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post) in an interview in which Cooley said he actually has nothing against Haynesworth, other than the fact that it’s kind of hard to be a teammate of someone who has the ability to be a great player but chooses not to be.

“The thing that I would think about Albert, the way his last three years have played out, is that he hates football,” Cooley said. “I’m not criticizing his character or his work or anything. My only assumption in this — and it’s just an opinion — is that he does not like football, by what I’ve seen over the last three years. If he loved the game of football, he’d show up and love it.”

There’s probably a lot of truth to what Cooley is saying, and it’s probably more common than fans who do love football would like to think: When you’re huge, athletic person like Haynesworth, you’re going to be pushed into football as a child whether you enjoy it or not, and you’re going to keep playing because it can make you rich whether you enjoy it or not, and eventually the fact that you don’t enjoy it is going to become apparent.

Haynesworth obviously didn’t enjoy playing for Mike Shanahan. And Shanahan enjoyed coaching Haynesworth even less.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
46 Responses to “Cooley thinks Haynesworth hates football”
  1. edmazeing1 says: Nov 22, 2011 11:25 AM

Samething I always say to people about Jamarcus Russell!!!

2. rexismybff says: Nov 22, 2011 11:28 AM

Haynesworth thinks Cooley would taste great dipped in batter, deep fried, and rolled in powdered sugar.

3. nfloracle says: Nov 22, 2011 11:28 AM

I think Haynesworth also hates himself at some level, perhaps unconsciously. It’s at least an explanation that helps to make sense over how a guy will so much talent could be so self-destructive.

4. stupadassle says: Nov 22, 2011 11:28 AM

I’m not the smartest guy but doesn’t like and hate are not the same thing.

5. nineroutsider says: Nov 22, 2011 11:33 AM

Maybe he just hates football under Shanahan…I am sure many Skins fans likewise hate football under Shanahan even as they hate Haynesworth.

6. derekjetersmansion says: Nov 22, 2011 11:35 AM

To most players, this is a job.

A lot of people hate their jobs. Most aren’t asked about every week.

7. 4evrnyt says: Nov 22, 2011 11:38 AM

It couldn’t be more simply put. If the man loved to play he’d play. This isn’t some skinny computer nerd like me that loves the game but wasn’t given the skills to compete beyond the high school level, if I didn’t show up t practice everyone would understand. But Haynesworth has the ability and by the simple fact that he doesn’t show up to play truly means that he doesn’t want to be there.

Frankly it’s a bit of a slap in the face to those of us who would give almost anything for 1/2 of the talent/size someone like Haynesworth possesses.

8. eths53 says: Nov 22, 2011 11:39 AM

Remember how Andre Agassi hated tennis and still is one of the best ever ? Some pro athletes hate their sport but still feel like they have to play…

9. renaissanceman87 says: Nov 22, 2011 11:39 AM

I’m an exceptional pianist, but I don’t LOVE music and have this insatiable passion to do it all hours of the day and devote my life to it… so I can kind of sympathize with Haynesworth if this is true. On second thought, he’s one rich dude… screw him!

10. djstat says: Nov 22, 2011 11:39 AM

Very accurate opinion. Its a shame that Haynesworth is that way becuase he probably is a great guy. When you do something you hate you can be miserable.

11. ticalcaldwell says: Nov 22, 2011 11:41 AM

I agree…..It just looks like he just doesnt care anymore…..In my opinion….he got paid…..time to relax in the shade…………..

12. test2402 says: Nov 22, 2011 11:48 AM

Some people say I’m good at my job. I hate my job. Only here for the money. Big Albert has plenty of money. He should quit and open a car dealership or a car wash or something and count his money.

13. borbinski says: Nov 22, 2011 11:52 AM

iN LIFE WE LEARN TO FOLLOW YOUR PASSION AND THAT YOU MUST “WANT IT”. aS A COACH OF YOUTH WE ALSO LEARN IT IS EASIER TO COACH TO THOSE THAT “WANT IT”.

14. tundey says: Nov 22, 2011 11:53 AM

@djstat: Haynesworth is not a great guy. And that’s not just from his football behavior but from his various run-ins with the law. Punching a guy on a highway, grabbing a waitress’ breasts, injuring a guy in a car accident, complaints from ex-wife that he wasn’t paying his kid’s bills, lawsuit from an exotic dancer, lawsuit from a bank….so no Haynesworth is not probably a great guy.

15. dpndots says: Nov 22, 2011 11:58 AM

I’m sure he’s learned all the lessons of football. Maybe he just forgot to learn all the lesson of life.

16. moolah954 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:04 PM

edmazeing1 says:
    Nov 22, 2011 11:25 AM
    Samething I always say to people about Jamarcus Russell!!!

Jamarcus had a plan.. scam the NFL and fans for all the money he could get and leave as fast as he could…it worked and people are still blind to that lol

17. 1captain1 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:05 PM

Fred Davis > Chris Cooley

18. screamingsheep69 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:07 PM

See Sean Gilbert.

19. binkystevens says: Nov 22, 2011 12:17 PM

I’m not a Skins fan or even a Cooley fan, but that guy tells it like it is. And for all the ruckus he’s caused in the media recently, I have to say I agree with him most of the time.

20. tubaplayingprof says: Nov 22, 2011 12:17 PM

There is a difference between the man who says “x is my job, not who I am” and the man who says “I am x.” I teach; I’m a teacher. I build houses; I’m a house builder. I play football; I’m a football player.

21. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Nov 22, 2011 12:18 PM

Oddly enough, he’s been pretty decent here in Tampa so far, and most surprisingly is showing a lot of effort. It might just be that he is completely unwilling to adapt to any system that doesn’t fit him, which is certainly a pathetic stand to take but might be the truth nonetheless.

22. musicman495 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:18 PM

—————————————
    Yeah, things worked out for Haynesworth so much better in New England.

By the way, I estimate the over-under on when Haynesworth is out of football and announces he is broke is three years.

23. Patskrieg dot com says: Nov 22, 2011 12:20 PM

Luckily for Haynesworth and his delicate sensibilities he won’t have football to mope over next year. The free ride is over and absolutely no one is going to spend money on this loser ever again.

24. mustyoldclapptrap says: Nov 22, 2011 12:24 PM

Great!

Now how does Cooley feel about his team getting beat twice by Tony Romo?

Scoreboard, Chris.

25. minhw0714 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:24 PM

Who cares what Cooley has to say? He is on IR. Aren’t those guys supposed to be invisible?

26. santolonius says: Nov 22, 2011 12:34 PM

it’s also gotta suck for haynesworth to have to carry a 350 pound body around everywhere you go and you’re always running and pounding… but, the guy did take the 100 million. so buddy, suck it up and play with all your heart, because someone paid a very steep price to get your maximum effort on every play, every practice, every film. it’s called work honor.

27. CKL says: Nov 22, 2011 12:35 PM

One of the Pats beat writers made a similar observation awhile back. She said football loves Haynesworth more than Haynesworth loves football. What’s shocking to me is that he fooled BB. BB’s far from perfect but he is usually pretty good at figuring out who loves football and it’s one of his top requirements. So AH is pretty shrewd as well.

28. xxwhodatxx says: Nov 22, 2011 12:36 PM

This is just stupid “he’s big so naturally he was made to play” lol I’m calling BS on that right now. I know plenty “big” people who don’t play football and make millions. So sell that garbage to someone else.

29. trollaikman8 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:44 PM

Chris Cooley & LaVarr Arrington…..underrated, focused, out-played their contracts and good locker room guys. The gold standard for Redskins players under the Synder regime.

bwahahaha

30. blacknyellow86 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:47 PM

Maybe Haynesworth didn’t like seeing Chris cooley practice in his Lil shorts, while he was in Washington!!!

31. db105 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:50 PM

It’s more about lack of character.

32. asublimeday says: Nov 22, 2011 1:01 PM

This is ironic coming from Chris Cooley, a man who has used football as a means to fame and never saw a camera he didn’t love.

33. billh1947 says: Nov 22, 2011 1:10 PM

Many pro athletes hate or dislike the sport they play for millions of dollars each year,just look at your NBA players right now,they average $5.1 million a players per season yet they now refuse to play,losing 50 to 200 grand a game,if they loved basketball they would just sign the contract and not worry that the owners make 1 or 2 % more money than they do a year,I bet if you took a poll the lower and middle ranked NBA players would sign a deal but the top of the NBA who make the most money think only about themselves,if they loved the game that wouldnt happen and we would have games tonight.

34. nedstarksbastard says: Nov 22, 2011 1:11 PM

Cooley Do you love football or talking on the radio while injured? Seriously though its November we are about to play thanksgiving football why are we talking about Albert, who is sitting on the Bucs roster out of playoff contention, and why are we listening to Cooley who is on the sidelines while the Redskins lose a heart breaker to the Cowboys? I am Cooley fan, I want him to prove that he can still play but who cares on this.

35. descendency says: Nov 22, 2011 1:14 PM

Do trash people like collecting trash? I would think not, yet they show up every week, unlike Haynesworthless.

36. fartography says: Nov 22, 2011 1:17 PM

Boy Cooley sure does run his mouth a lot for a guy who spends most of his time on IR. Is it just me that thinks this?

37. tdk24 says: Nov 22, 2011 1:48 PM

You don’t need to love your job in order to get paid millions to do it. See Curtis Martin.

38. igster1 says: Nov 22, 2011 1:53 PM

i hate the washington deadskins.
    ” GO COWBOYS” AMERICAS TEAM.

39. bringbacktheflex says: Nov 22, 2011 2:19 PM

He certainly enjoyed stealing their money.

40. ttommytom says: Nov 22, 2011 2:37 PM

I have a relative who was a first round bust as a LT. He did play over a decade as an average G. I also have a friend who was a first round bust as a RB who played over a decade as a back-up. They both HATED football. This is probably more common than people realize.

41. toegoat says: Nov 22, 2011 2:42 PM

And NOBODY enjoys watching Albert haynesworth play football either.

42. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Nov 22, 2011 2:53 PM

It’s perfectly normal to not like or even hate what you do for a living. It it not normal to stomp on people’s heads while they are lying on the ground defenseless or grope waitresses. I may not know much, but I know a scumbag when I see one.

So spare me the they-made-him-do-it defense. He is a con artist of the highest order. Over-under: 2 years after he’s out of football (soon) and convicted of some idiotic crime.

43. riverhorsey says: Nov 22, 2011 3:30 PM

I would of played for free

44. quitcrying says: Nov 22, 2011 3:47 PM

I remember when he stomped on that guys head. I give him 2 years before he’s in prison.

45. dontrunfromme says: Nov 22, 2011 3:52 PM

Cooley should challenge Haynesworth to a cage match like he wanted with Romo.

46. dcfan4life says: Nov 22, 2011 4:02 PM

I think most Skins fans would agree Cooleys days in Washington are probably over. So why not go off on Tony Romo, Albert Haynesworth or anyone else that you can. Especially when his arguments are totally accurate. Its not like he is Jerry Rice who makes an opinion with no real basis except “trust me, im Jerry Rice, i know” type demeanor.