Ray Lewis skips media session to focus on injury treatment

Ray Lewis AP

Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis missed Sunday’s win over the Bengals with a foot injury.  It’s unclear whether he’ll play on Thursday night against the 49ers.

He has opted to pass on being questioned about it by the media on Tuesday, issuing a statement explaining his decision to violate a fairly basic NFL requirement:  being available to the press once during the week and after every game.

“I apologize for not being available as I normally am on a day like today, but I am taking every opportunity to get treatment on my foot to prepare to play on Thursday,” Lewis said in a statement released by the team.  “Anytime you see your team on the field, you always want to be out there with them.  As the leader of your team, it doesn’t sit well with me to be on the sidelines.  But I was the biggest cheerleader out there on Sunday, and I was truly proud of the way we played as a team.  I am doing everything in my power to get back as fast as I can, whether that’s this week, next week or whenever it is, I am doing everything I can to be out there with my team.  I want to play Thursday night, and I am making some progress.”

Technically, Lewis can be fined by the league office.  I doubt that he’d care.  And I further doubt that anyone from the Baltimore media will complain, which usually is a prerequisite to the imposition of a fine.

As to Ray’s health, there are rumors he won’t play again this year.  Coach John Harbaugh recently dismissed that possibility in comments to Peter King of SI.com and Football Night in America.  Still, the decision of Lewis to say “this week, next week or whenever it is” will do nothing to diminish speculation that he could miss significant time.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Ray Lewis skips media session to focus on injury treatment”
  1. realitypolice says: Nov 22, 2011 12:37 PM

What an unmitigated ridiculous load of garbage.

The idea that there is some sort of 12 hour a day non-stop rehab process he could be doing to heal by Thursday is nonsense.

There is only so much that can be done per day to heal an injury through rehab exercises, icing, etc. After that, excessive activity would be detrimental to recovery. If fact, the largest part of any injury recovery is REST.

There is no possible way his rehab stopped him from finding 20 minutes to do a press conference. None.

2. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 22, 2011 12:44 PM

Hey, remember how all the Ravens fans went wild over Holmes getting that TD in Baltimore a few years ago — off the controversial call? Oh the crying and whining that went on after that one!

Now it’s the Ravens getting the benefit of the call against Cincy — and suddenly Ravens fans are all about “chill, dudes, what’s all the fuss about? Refs blow calls all the time!” Now they’re all about “stop whining about the refs!” Interesting how this changes when YOU get the benefit of the call, huh?

3. mrpilsner says: Nov 22, 2011 12:45 PM

finally

4. crashdog says: Nov 22, 2011 12:45 PM

Break out your checkbook Ray

5. knowerofallthings says: Nov 22, 2011 12:46 PM

There will never be another playmaker like Ray Lewis

6. theravens1 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:47 PM

Ray lets his play do the talking anyway! I hope he makes a statement Thursday Night! :-)

7. blacknyellow86 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:53 PM

Pulling for the 49ers this thursday, get it done… GO STEELERS…….

8. test2402 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:54 PM

Ray and Tebow are praying together. Tim Tebow. Tim Tebow. Tim Tebow.

9. humbleminded85 says: Nov 22, 2011 12:56 PM

@realitypolice Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to inform us that. I was just thinking while I read this “Man, I sure hope when I scroll down to the comments section that there is Dr. Reality Police to help us sort through this mess. Thanks Doc! Hey maybe tomorrow you can share stories from when you where in the CIA too.

10. nineroutsider says: Nov 22, 2011 1:04 PM

Either way the 9ers will get it done…

11. djstat says: Nov 22, 2011 1:08 PM

BlackNYellow should pull for the 49ers because you towel waing losers couldnt get the job done on your own.

12. psuravens19 says: Nov 22, 2011 1:10 PM

ampatsisahypocrite says:
    Nov 22, 2011 12:44 PM

________________________________

Thanks for the input, but what does this have to do with the article?

13. steelchamps says: Nov 22, 2011 1:11 PM

Posting comments on pro football talk is fun! :)

14. ravensruleandharbaughisgod says: Nov 22, 2011 1:15 PM

Gee, I guess that the Squiler fans have nothing else to do but weigh in on the Ravens. And root for the 49er’s since they couldn’t beat us not once, but TWICE this season. Can you spell “tie breaker?” And Mr. Lewis can do as he pleases, press conference or not!

15. young2rice says: Nov 22, 2011 1:15 PM

Hopefully he plays!.. I wouldn’t want to hear more b.s. excuses from another team as to why the 49ers beat them

16. raylewisandhisteeth says: Nov 22, 2011 1:25 PM

Toe. Enough said…

17. andre504 says: Nov 22, 2011 1:44 PM

To be honest, if he plays he will be a liability (not 100%) especially in coverage against Vernon and Delanie, and if he does not play, 9ers TE’s should be productive just as Gresham was last week. Should be a good game!

18. thebigkahuna23 says: Nov 22, 2011 1:59 PM

Who cares? Ray Lewis has earned the ability to skip a press conference.

19. blacknyellow86 says: Nov 22, 2011 2:39 PM

@djstat

Its okay if the Ratbirds beat the STEELERS, 2x this season but remember we own you clowns in the Playoffs. rest assure we will mkae it 3x in a row this year haha…

20. realitypolice says: Nov 22, 2011 2:49 PM

humbleminded85 says:
    Nov 22, 2011 12:56 PM
    ================================

What a great comment.

So much sarcasm and anger pointlessly directed at someone you don’t know. What’s the matter, daddy didn’t hug you enough?

Where did I pretend to be a doctor? Anyone whose had an injury knows the very basic things I state in my comment to be true.

I wasn’t aware that a post pointing out an obvious lie would be considered a waste of time.

For future reference, could you please provide all of us with a list of what types of responses you feel are appropriate for different types of article so that we can all get a better understanding of what you are looking for.

21. jeepin08 says: Nov 22, 2011 2:53 PM

Wow, all these comments from stealer fans in regards to the Bengals, and a play from 3 years ago. I would guess that stealer fans would root for any team that plays the Ravens since the stealers can’t seem to be cabable of beating the Ravens. So they have to root for someone to beat them. How sad and pathetic your fan base really is.
    Ray couldn’t meet with the press because he was running on the treadmill after doing laps in the swimming pool. After that, he plans on running around the indoor practice field a few times. So don’t worry that he has torn ligaments in one of his toes. He’ll take the shot and be on the filed Thursday night creating havoc in the middle as always.

22. 3octaveFart says: Nov 22, 2011 3:30 PM

What did they do?
    Bring in a specialty team of Swedish toe masseuses?

23. truninerfan49 says: Nov 22, 2011 3:38 PM

Hey Ray, please skip the game Thursday to focus on injury treatment.

Thanks in advance,
    Niner Fans

24. bmoreballbuster says: Nov 22, 2011 4:33 PM

Ray will make up for lost time doing his POSTGAME interview with Suzy Kolber on the Ravens Victory!!!

25. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 22, 2011 5:55 PM

ampatsisahypocrite says:
    Nov 22, 2011 12:44 PM

________________________________
    psuravens19 says:
    Nov 22, 2011 1:10 PM

Thanks for the input, but what does this have to do with the article?
    _______________________________________

The point is, Ravens fans were all over the refs and the NFL over that Holmes call — talking about how horrible the officiating is, like we should all be outraged or something. OK, now we see THIS horrible call that went FOR the Ravens — well, where are you Ravens fans now to get us all fired up about the refs? I mean, surely you’re not just being quiet because you got the call on your side, right? I mean, you were certainly all impartial back then when you complained right? So of course you’ll all join us in petitioning the NFL to protest the outrage of what happened Sunday, right?

I’m waiting for your answer.

26. flabtreesports says: Nov 22, 2011 8:08 PM

ampatsisahypocrite, weren’t you whining about Ray’s H2H on Hines a few weeks ago? Probably something to consider before you barf this same post all over every Ravens related article.

27. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 22, 2011 10:34 PM

How is pointing out the truth “whining”? Which part is wrong — the NFL in fact ADMITTED the refs blew the call on the field by fining Ray Lewis later. Hmmm? Care to point out where I’m wrong here? Again, I’d love to hear this one!

28. zoltar9802 says: Nov 23, 2011 1:52 AM

@ampatsisahypocrite

what blown calls are you referring to? the gresham call? surely you know the calvin johnson rule. the head of officials already said the correct call was made. he didnt control the ball to the ground. the rule sucks, but the refs got it right.

the “horse collar” call? surely you know that a horse collar isn’t called on a QB in the pocket. a horse collar is illegal in the open field, not in the pocket. no missed call there. maybe there are some other missed calls that gave us the game that i can’t think of cause im a hypocritical ravens fan?

why are you comparing a missed personal call foul on Ray to a missed call that resulted in a TD on Holmes 3 years ago? 15 yards isn’t as bad as 6 points. i hope we can agree on that.

read the rule book and get back to us, you obviously have spare time.

29. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 23, 2011 2:24 AM

Ha ha, gotta love the two cowards who thumbs-downed my post, but won’t dare try to refute what I said. So let’s make this simple to do, one more time.

1. Ray Lewis hit Ward helmet-to-helmet, which should’ve resulted in a 15-yard penalty, setting the Steelers up for an easy score. We KNOW it was an illegal helmet shot, because the league later fined Lewis for it.

2. Instead the refs chose to ignore it, or missed it, or whatever — and even overturned Ward’s catch — calling it a drop — only because of an ILLEGAL helmet shot.

3. This was a huge non-call that affected the outcome of the game. And pretty much shows what a laugh it is when the Ravens and their fans claim the Steelers “always get preferential treatment from the refs.”

Anyone care to argue? Or will you just do the cowardly thing again?

30. flabtreesports says: Nov 23, 2011 6:26 AM

And what call are you complaining about in the game in which your team didn’t even play? The debunked horse collar or the correct interpretation of a crappy rule?

31. icyhuck says: Nov 23, 2011 8:40 AM

hey suzy.I wanna kiss you ray willsay

32. flabtreesports says: Nov 23, 2011 10:22 AM

Unfortunately, ampats, pft doesn’t let you cut and paste comments from other threads. I had a nice little montage of your anti-Goodell meltdown after the Steelers win!?! over the Ravens last December. When you complain about the officiating after wins, or in games that don’t even involve your team, you have no grounds to call anyone else out. Let’s not forget that you also claimed Clark’s hit on Dickson was “textbook”, despite the subsequent fine. Rather than blathering about Ray’s hit again, why don’t you explain which call you had such a problem with in the Cincy game?