Rams, Bud Light ensure that Sunday’s home game will be televised

jones-dome1 Getty Images

The Rams have had a disappointing season.  But folks continue to show up for the home games.

This week, the minimum attendance threshold for the contest against the Cardinals has been satisfied via the efforts of the team and official beer sponsor Bud Light to purchase all remaining non-premium tickets, presumably at 34 cents on dollar, in accordance with league rules.

Some tickets were donated to fans 21 years of age and older, via local charities and radio partners.  (Hey, why give the tickets to folks who are too young to show up and buy beer?)  Other tickets were sold at a discount to Anheuser-Busch employees, with the proceeds — more than $6,000 — going to the St. Patrick Center.

“Anheuser-Busch has long been one of St. Louis’ greatest civic supporters and one of the Rams’ most valued partners,” Kevin Demoff, Rams executive vice president of football operations and chief operating officer said in a statement.  “We’re extremely appreciative of their willingness to help us get Sunday’s game televised for all of our local fans, while also raising money for the St. Patrick Center.  This is yet another demonstration of Anheuser-Busch’s ongoing commitment to this team and more importantly, this region.”

Of course, the Rams may not be part of “this region” over the long haul, if the team has to continue to resort to such tactics in order to allows its games to be televised locally.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Rams, Bud Light ensure that Sunday’s home game will be televised”
  1. ctp603 says: Nov 23, 2011 5:02 PM

Exclusive beer distribution contract signed in 3… 2… 1…

2. sinclairsrevenge says: Nov 23, 2011 5:03 PM

“Hey, want to go to the Rams game this weekend with me?”…….. “I would, but, I, but I, uhhhhh, I got nothin. fine”

3. dab000 says: Nov 23, 2011 5:04 PM

On behalf of ‘this region’ – GO AWAY! You suck! We want good sports teams.

4. JSpicoli says: Nov 23, 2011 5:05 PM

they need to change this archeic rule.

How much more of having to buy out your own tickets can struggling franchises take?

You are crapping on your own product NFL. Two years tops until we see some sort of contraction.

5. bluvayner says: Nov 23, 2011 5:14 PM

“This is yet another demonstration of Anheuser-Busch’s ongoing commitment to this team and more importantly, this region.”

We’ll see how committed to the region they remain long term, now that they’ve been bought out by Europeans. Is there no such thing as an American company anymore?

6. trollhammer20 says: Nov 23, 2011 5:19 PM

I would think that the Rams current performance would be good news for Anheuser-Busch. I know if I were a fan of theirs, I’d be drinking a lot more…

7. predicatepanda says: Nov 23, 2011 5:25 PM

Today we salute you Mr. Last Minute Blackout Remover Guy.

8. tformation says: Nov 23, 2011 5:30 PM

“Some tickets were donated to fans 21 years of age and older, via local charities and radio partners. (Hey, why give the tickets to folks who are too young to show up and buy beer?)”

Having worked with major beer & tobacco corporations, I’m sure the reason for this came from the beer company’s lawyers. Beer companies don’t want to appear to be trying to sway underage drinkers from drinking their brand… something I’m sure someone would argue that they’d be doing by giving away tickets to a football game to minors.

9. test2402 says: Nov 23, 2011 6:10 PM

This story is almost correct. The rams, bud light and Tim Tebow will make sure the game is televised.

10. NoHomeTeam says: Nov 23, 2011 6:11 PM

dab000 says: On behalf of ‘this region’ – GO AWAY! You suck! We want good sports teams.

Be careful what you wish for . . .

As a self-appointed spokesman for my region, let me state that we would be happy to have the Rams back. As a token of our appreciation, you may keep Bud Light. And those navy blue uniforms.

11. docboss says: Nov 23, 2011 6:39 PM

Hey Bengal and Steeler fans. Don’t you wish you could buy tickets to the December games in Saint Louis for 34 cents on the dollar?
    There will be thousands available. After next week you might start hitting Craigslist. In fact, I think both games should be considered road games for the hapless Rams.
    As far as AB’s commitment to the team and the region… someone in Belgium must think the baseball Cardinals are still playing on Sunday.

12. peytonwantsaflag says: Nov 23, 2011 6:50 PM

“But folks continue to show up for the home games.”
    —————————————————-

Doesn’t this sentence seemingly contradict the purpose of the rest of the article?

Procter and Gamble would’ve done this for the Bengals but for some reason Charmin toilet paper’s just not as tied to the NFL as Bud Light is.

13. nflinla says: Nov 23, 2011 7:33 PM

LA here we come ! Welcome Home Rams !

14. boomerdt says: Nov 23, 2011 8:13 PM

You know… if they let me buy tickets for 34 cents I’d go to more games…..