A late-season Randy Moss unretirement is looking unlikely

Randy-Moss-Adam-Bettcher-Getty-Images1 Getty Images

With six games to go and receiver Randy Moss already turning down two teams that made in-season offers, it’s looking highly unlikely that Moss will be playing for anyone in 2011, or beyond.

“Football had me blinded to a lot of things going on in my family,” Moss said this week in his West Virginia hometown, as he distributed boxes of food to the underprivileged.  “A lot of things didn’t hit me until my life slowed down but now I’m able to kiss my girlfriend in the morning and my daughter.  You sacrifice a lot of time as a professional athlete, and you don’t take time to slow down. . . .

“I just gave up football because football is not me; football is what I do,” Moss added.  “I’m a loving father, I’m a loving son and I love my lord and savior, Jesus Christ.”

(The over/under on reader comments suggesting he actually wants to play for the Broncos is 24.5.)

Regardless, Moss walked away because he didn’t get the kind of financial offers he thought he deserved.  If an offer like that comes at some point between now and January 1, it’ll be interesting to see whether he changes his tune.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “A late-season Randy Moss unretirement is looking unlikely”
  1. joetoronto says: Nov 24, 2011 12:30 PM

Well I’ll be damned, Randy Moss found the lord.

2. mjbulls45 says: Nov 24, 2011 12:32 PM

you share the same agent with Jason Campbell, Joel Segal…

the Raiders offered you a spot to join the team in the summer,

you didnt wanna play…

now you sit at home while the Raiders rise the revival of the past and come back to greatness…

call hue jackson, its not too late, Raiders have WRs going down,

you know carson can wing it to you Randy, do the right thing…

you and I both know superbowl dreams for Oakland are coming soon Randy….

coming soon….

3. jsho55 says: Nov 24, 2011 12:32 PM

Good for Randy if he really is happy.

Family first, Football second. Way it should be.

4. norcal031 says: Nov 24, 2011 12:33 PM

Who just heard that girl mess up????!!!!

5. raider23mike says: Nov 24, 2011 12:36 PM

Why Brady wasn’t throwing the bomb to him last season is beyond me. Yes! I blame Brady .. He’s doing the same to Chad. Moss still had the speed and hands.. He kept getting traded and picked by no QB teams..

6. redbear18 says: Nov 24, 2011 12:38 PM

He wants to play for the broncos.😛 I wouldn’t have even said that if you hadn’t put that in your article.

7. kingbeason52 says: Nov 24, 2011 12:38 PM

Why is this tagged to the New England Patriots? It has nothing to do with them..

8. tjacks7 says: Nov 24, 2011 12:38 PM

As a Viking fan, it was tough seeing Moss hang them up. But it’s nice to see he’s doing bigger and better things in his retirement.

9. flavordave says: Nov 24, 2011 12:41 PM

Randy looks like he just stepped out of a soup kitchen.

10. 7pints says: Nov 24, 2011 12:41 PM

Once again it’s fine for anyone BUT Tim Tebow to praise Jesus. So, many hypocrites.

11. claydefayette says: Nov 24, 2011 12:45 PM

Randy “checks” out if there’s not that “straight cash homey.”

In seriousness, Moss seems humble and fine moving on with the rest of his life. Good for him.

12. Iamthatguy says: Nov 24, 2011 12:46 PM

“I just gave up football because football is not me; football is what I do,” Moss added. “I’m a loving father, I’m a loving son and I love my lord and savior, Jesus Christ.”

*******************************************

Umm, Randy you did not give up football. Football gave up on YOU and your cancerous ways.

Randy sounds just like every convict in prison…. “I found the Lord, I’m a changed person, please give me another chance” !!!

He burned all his bridges, now hopefully he will just fade away and never be heard from again.

13. Iamthatguy says: Nov 24, 2011 12:47 PM

Saint Tebow would be so proud of this fellow snake oil salesman

14. purplehayseuss says: Nov 24, 2011 12:50 PM

O.M.G.

15. aimpai says: Nov 24, 2011 12:56 PM

over

16. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Nov 24, 2011 1:00 PM

“Not this sh-t again.”

–God

17. jimboonie says: Nov 24, 2011 1:04 PM

The last time Moss got behind the defense, the corner slipped, and then Moss got caught from behind by a linebacker.

18. 12thmanhawks says: Nov 24, 2011 1:04 PM

damnit just stay retired …the nfl is better off without you and T.O

19. tjacks7 says: Nov 24, 2011 1:08 PM

Iamthatguy says:
    Nov 24, 2011 12:46 PM

*******************************************

*******************************************

You can’t fix stupid, but I’ll break it down for you.

Two teams have offered Moss a contract, according to the article.

20. rskills says: Nov 24, 2011 1:16 PM

Always so cynical on this site! Maybe Moss is really happy being done. If he wanted to be back I think he still has it in him. You don’t see him holding audience-less try outs!

21. Iamthatguy says: Nov 24, 2011 1:32 PM

tjacks said:

“You can’t fix stupid, but I’ll break it down for you.

Two teams have offered Moss a contract, according to the article.

Moss declined both of these teams. Thus, the NFL didn’t give up on Randy Moss, Randy Moss gave up on the NFL.”

************************************

Put on the Duncecap. The TEAMS in the NFL gave up on Diva Randy. You really think 2 very low offers shows different?

Of course a team will take a flyer on him if they can pay him peanuts, that does not mean they really want him.

Geez, I guess you really cant teach stupid

22. cuda1234 says: Nov 24, 2011 1:37 PM

GOOD!

23. mossstyle84 says: Nov 24, 2011 1:39 PM

The man has had some bumps in the road in his career, but it IS a hall of fame career. Show some respect. I’m obviously biased here, but a lot of you guys don’t need to express so much hatred toward the man. If he plays again, he plays again. Leave it at that

24. ppc50 says: Nov 24, 2011 2:03 PM

With Austin being out, Dallas, who should have drafted him originally, should have at least taken a look at him. Robinson and Bryant are a decent tandem, but Moss would be a great addition – better than Olgetree and Holley.

25. commandercornpone says: Nov 24, 2011 2:17 PM

chad is about gone. he didnt think he would have to learn the offense in NE.

26. tatum064 says: Nov 24, 2011 4:14 PM

tjacks7 says:
    Nov 24, 2011 1:08 PM

—————————————————-
    uh, Randy Moss gave up on himself.

27. johntonioholmes says: Nov 24, 2011 5:15 PM

Sometimes your job makes you hate yourself. Maybe he quit football because it made him something that he felt he wasn’t.

I can attest to that feeling, and I’m sure we all can.

You know, Moss was a selfish player. But now that there’s no football for him, maybe he can prove that’s not something that he wants to be.

I don’t know. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He seems happier now and that’s probably because the game was too much pressure for him.

28. Canyonero says: Nov 24, 2011 5:33 PM

I wonder if any of the under-privileged refused the food, and said they wouldn’t feed it to their dog.

29. skolvikesskol says: Nov 24, 2011 7:51 PM

Super bowl homeboy

30. ytsejamer1 says: Nov 24, 2011 8:25 PM

Good for Moss. He may be a polarizing figure, but he does a lot of good for his community and he should be commended. If he is at peace without football, then good for him. I hope he and his family had a great Thanksgiving.

31. bcgreg says: Nov 26, 2011 8:55 AM

Funny how some Raider fans are clamboring for Randy Moss. Amazing.