Report: Kevin Smith has high ankle sprain

Kevin Smith AP

The Lions lost a game Thursday, they lost a little self respect during Ndamukong Suh’s press conference, and they lost four key players to injury.

Running back Kevin Smith left in the first half with an ankle injury. Jimmy Johnson of FOX Sports reported that Smith suffered a high ankle sprain. Smith said after the game that x-rays were negative on the ankle.

The Lions also lost defensive backs Louis DelmasChris Houston, and Brandon McDonald during the game.  Coach Jim Schwartz was asked how many of the injuries were long-term concerns.

“Too early to say,” he said. “But let’s be optimistic. Let’s hope none of them are.”

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Report: Kevin Smith has high ankle sprain”
  1. thesmartest1 says: Nov 24, 2011 9:24 PM

Kevin Smith is a great story. Hope he’s ok.

2. dopesimms says: Nov 24, 2011 9:34 PM

Good dude. Bad events. I wish him a healthy recovery.

3. jimmysee says: Nov 24, 2011 9:35 PM

Hope he’ll be ok — he’s for 10 days to recover — the Lions would miss him in New Orleans.

4. adirtyplayernamedsue says: Nov 24, 2011 9:35 PM

Lionesses lost 4 of their last 6 games. Really just another average team at best. Probally below average considering their soft schudle. Smith dint that good anyway. No big loss

5. buffalodiehard says: Nov 24, 2011 9:36 PM

Is this the year of the hurt NFL running back? One week I had 5 on my fantasy team and ALL of them were hurt! Hope he gets better, I love a good comeback story!

6. earthtopft says: Nov 24, 2011 9:36 PM

“Eh, sonny, c’m over here, did I ever tell ya the story about Kevin Smith?”.

7. earthtopft says: Nov 24, 2011 9:38 PM

Sue took it upon himself to be proactive, and issued a “suspension of disbelief” to the general public. Before the Commissioner even called him.

8. gmacc85 says: Nov 24, 2011 9:41 PM

Hey did anybody noticed after the game, when it came back from commercial to the post game, there was a lion fan throwing up 2 middle fingers to the camera? He’s Almost as dumb as suh is!

9. urfinished says: Nov 24, 2011 9:52 PM

High ankle sprain? Ready in 10 days in n’awlins? No chance bud.

10. localbandhero says: Nov 24, 2011 9:52 PM

Did Suh step on him, too?

11. bigjd says: Nov 24, 2011 9:53 PM

Albert Suh didn’t mean to stomp some one. Next thing you know this guy will be trying to pay credit card bills by stuffing his card up against some women’s breast and then getting into a traffic altercation on the way home.
    I think I already read this book.

12. gtorlone says: Nov 24, 2011 9:58 PM

If this story had been posted a week ago, we would’ve wondered how a movie director got a high ankle sprain.

13. noeffinway says: Nov 24, 2011 10:05 PM

Suh’s stomp was no worse than when Robison kicked Lang in the groin ($20,000 fine). Actually it was LESS nasty than that groin kick. It looks to me like Suh kicked his foot out/down like a 4 yr old would in a hissy fit. Not a smart move, deserved a penalty and really hurt his team….BUT not “dirty” like you all are crying. If it was anyone else it would NOT be getting this much press.

14. cidman2001 says: Nov 24, 2011 10:20 PM

I have to publicly apologize for Kevin Smith’s injury. Apparently he’s suffering from the VMG Bombers curse. Every time I add someone to my fantasy football roster, they get injured. My first pick…Jamal Charles. It’s been down hill ever since. I’d like to apologize in advance for the injury Lee Evans is about to incur. Sorry Lee and to the long list of other players that have suffered the curse. Fortunately the trade deadline has passed in a deep league. I think the free agent pool is all set…. :)

15. gmacc85 says: Nov 24, 2011 10:37 PM

It looked dirty to me. Who cares who he is, you make alot of $ to work for the NFL and you made yourself look stupid in front of your bosses. They don’t care about the name,just the disrespect !

16. scytherius says: Nov 24, 2011 10:38 PM

I love little couch cowards who rush to Suh’s defense as though they actually have a clue. And it means NOTHING to them that every, snigle well respected former great player is calling for his suspensoin. But, oh know, you know best from your living room.

Morons.

And get better Kevin!

17. bigboi30 says: Nov 24, 2011 10:44 PM

Good luck K Smith

Im sorry I have to point this out. The looser that calls himself “adirtyplayernamedsue”, I have to ask, do you have some big gay crush on Suh? For someone that doesnt like him, you name yourself after him, you comment 4-10 times on any artical that has his name or references him. I bet you have one of those prison fantisies were he makes you his btch and you get to follow him around holding his back pocket. I mean my god. Here just a piece of advice. Get up, take a shower, (its that thing in the bathroom that sprays water), shave, crawl out of your parents basement, go outside (the place with the bright light and fresh air), go hrt a job, and grow up. And no being Suhs personal fluffer is not a job. I dont mind people hateing on Suh, but seriously bro, there is more to life. I swear.

18. lionsfanatic84 says: Nov 24, 2011 11:44 PM

Bigboi30-
    Thanks! Every story he makes a handful of stupid comments based around calling them the lioness’s, i get it if you hate the lions, but grow up with the name calling. And yes kevin smith was looking better than ever imo, he was averaging over 5 yards today. And you would think his parents would drag him out of the basement and get a life considering he is over 40 and sleeping in a racecar bed when he isn’t sleeping in his parents bed because he is afraid of the dark

19. bearsrulepackdrool says: Nov 24, 2011 11:45 PM

The great comeback story just ended.

Sucks to be a Lions running back. Can’t stay healthy. This goes waaay back to…well Kevin Smith.

20. austin2720 says: Nov 25, 2011 12:12 AM

Suh might be over whelming at times on the field, but does more than most athletes for others off it. Could he show more self control at times? Yea, but he’s young and wreckless an will mature in time. If he was on your team, most of you wouldn’t be crying as much or hating like you do. Everybody likes to hate great players on the other team. A.k.a. Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Brett Farve, Kobe, and so on. So please, keep hating to remind me how good Suh is and will be!

21. staffordsyear says: Nov 25, 2011 12:23 AM

Sucks to be a bears qb…they just cant stay healthy.

22. mvpolamalu says: Nov 25, 2011 12:34 AM

Anybody comparing suh to haynesworth, stop t now. Suh is dirty, but hes aggressive and a great player. Haynesworth is a fat slouch who doesent give a crap about football. Get your facts straight

23. 700levelvet says: Nov 25, 2011 2:22 AM

Usually when i see the word hater or hating in a comment, i stop reading it. But who is this clown who keeps comparing Suh to the likes of Jordan, Kobe, Favre etc…Get a grip. The fact you also put LeFrauds name in there, only justifies how idiotic a comparison this is…..

24. bearsrulepackdrool says: Nov 25, 2011 2:26 AM

staffordsyear says:
    Nov 25, 2011 12:23 AM
    Sucks to be a bears qb…they just cant stay healthy.
    _________________

lol, you seen Stafford lately? Chokes when it comes to playing AN ACTUAL CONTENDER.

Don’t be angry because you got excited that the Lions beat teams they were supposed to beat and can’t even come close to the actual good teams.

Let me know how you feel when you fall back to Earth and .500. Just a little late in the season but the Lions haven’t changed.

25. dumplingsrbrown says: Nov 25, 2011 2:49 AM

Wasn’t Kevin dumped by Detroit due to his history with staying healthy? Great potential but about as brittle as an overbaked gingerbread man.

26. ndirishguy says: Nov 25, 2011 4:57 AM

I think they call the CURSE the Barry Sanders curse in Detroit as in, “you should have traded me to a contender now this is what you get forevermore.”

27. ndirishguy says: Nov 25, 2011 5:01 AM

Suh, “Heck I couldn’t get up and I just shoved the guy’s head into the ground twice to get my balance. Really, there was nothing malicious intended, I don’t know where you guys get that.”

28. cowhawkfan says: Nov 25, 2011 6:46 AM

Quit comparing Suh to Haynesworth? That’a ridiculous. They both stomped a player on the field. If you want to say Suh is a better player and cares about the game more, so be it, that’s part of the comparison. Suh has the potential to be a great player, but so did Haymesworth (who actually reached it for one great MVP season). Let’s see how Suh handles himself going forward. Will he reach his potential or will he implode ala Haynesworth.

29. punkyqb says: Nov 25, 2011 7:18 AM

@staffordsyear says:

At least Cutler got hurt trying to tackle a defensive players return of a interception, unlike Stafford pulling down a little defensive back that he out weighted by 50 pounds (by the neck) from behind. Than running away like a little sissy he he was about to get his a$$ kicked. Detroit will be lucky to finish at 8-8. They are already in 3rd place and falling.The way they going Minn. might catch them.

30. 6thsense79 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:59 AM

Damn…I hate seeing someone work so hard to get back into the league and getting sidelined by injury. Speedy recovery……The Lions desperately need you.

31. MossMoon2Packers says: Nov 25, 2011 10:44 AM

Lions lose their starting RB, 3 DBs and Suh (due to idiocy). The Packers are a great team, and maybe they would have won anyway, but i would have liked to see the outcome had the Lions been at full strength.

32. disgrunteledlionsfan says: Nov 28, 2011 4:43 PM

Man what a same Thursday was for Detroit and it all started with the National Anthem. At the outset I thought we were in for a great game with the way Detroit was playing. Then came the 3rd quarter and it was all downhill from there. Detroit and the Lions had another chance to showoff in front of the nation then the halftime stage gets stuck in the tunnel so there’s the second fail. Then Suh has a temper tantrum. Now I was watching WXYZ, Sunday night and they showed how Suh was being handled at the line by the Packers perhaps if the officials had called some of those plays perhaps the outcome may have been different. That being said, Suh needs to grow into his body his body is older than his maturity. He has the ability to be an outstanding player in the NFL but if he doesn’t get his head right he will ruin any future in it. As far Kevin Smith is concerned he did good for Detroit but he can’t stay healthy, he has talent but no durability but when you’re all out of options what do you do? You go shopping and what do you get? People who couldn’t stay healthy on a roster. But it is what it is. Now we have to see how Detroit rebounds from this and moves forward. This will be interesting.