Jim Harbaugh: Penalty that wiped out Ted Ginn TD “a good call”

San Francisco 49ers v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

San Francisco receiver Ted Ginn had what could have been the best play of the day on Thanksgiving with his spectacular 75-yard touchdown catch in Baltimore, but it was called back by a chop block penalty.

The 49ers could complain about that call, but they won’t.

After the game, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said that the penalty was the fault of guard Chilo Rachal for putting his hands on Ravens safety Bernard Pollard while 49ers running back Frank Gore was blocking him low.

“It was a bang-bang play for Chilo,” Harbaugh said. “He really just got his hands on him. I wish he could have seen that and not put his hands on him. It was certainly a chop block, and it was a good call. You had one guy going low, and then Chilo put his hands on the defender, which turned it into a chop block.”

Gore also declined to criticize the penalty, saying only, “The referee made the call and that’s what it was. I would like to take it back. We just have to do better.”

The play looked like the type of block that is illegal by the letter of the rules, but that officials usually let go — chop block penalties are usually called when one offensive player holds up an opponent, and then a second offensive player comes in and takes a shot at the defensive player’s knee. That’s certainly not what happened here; this was just Rachal putting his hands on Pollard and not realizing that he couldn’t do that because Gore was already blocking him low.

But the way the rule is written, it’s a penalty. And it’s a credit to the 49ers that they aren’t offering any complaints or making any excuses about it.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Jim Harbaugh: Penalty that wiped out Ted Ginn TD “a good call””
  1. phillysports25 says: Nov 25, 2011 12:04 PM

Class. Learn Ndamukong, learn.

2. i3addog says: Nov 25, 2011 12:09 PM

The NFL needs more Harbaugh brothers and less Ryan brothers.

3. mr9teen says: Nov 25, 2011 12:09 PM

I think it was a horrible call in a day full of horrible calls. The more and more these refs make terrible calls the closer and closer we will get pushed into instant replay reviewing penalties. That play even as it was evolving I could see on my couch that it was NOT a chop block. I find it hard to believe that a ref could not. Dissapointing for the 49ers. However very classy by not making a big deal of it.

4. bigperm33 says: Nov 25, 2011 12:12 PM

There is one difference between the two brothers – no chance in a million years had roles been reversed that John harbaugh is not complaining about the two calls that both went against his team in a close game.

5. sippindasyzurp says: Nov 25, 2011 12:15 PM

Everyone is such a great referee from there couch and when we see replays in slow motion… If you have ever sat at field level and watched a game, you see how fast the game is and these things happen in the blink of an eye… As long as the NFL keeps getting faster it becomes increasingly more difficult for the human eye to completely judge calls right all the time.

6. gixrider says: Nov 25, 2011 12:26 PM

“Everyone is such a great referee from their couch and when we see replays in slow motion… ”

Yep.

7. boltschick says: Nov 25, 2011 12:30 PM

I was so impressed when Harbaugh called it a good call. It was clearly ticky-tack and he must have been fuming, but instead he praised the refs. This showed so much class and good sportsmanship. Really increased my opinion of him.

Refs throughout the league will appreciate his comments and I wouldn’t be surprised if they give him and the 49ers the benefit of the doubt going forward.

8. letemplay says: Nov 25, 2011 12:38 PM

There is a big difference between “the right call” and “a good call”. That’s the right call. Just like holding on almost every play would technically be, the right call. As a Ravens fan, I don’t think it was a good call. The better call would have been no call but you can’t fault the ref for making the right call.

9. letemplay says: Nov 25, 2011 12:42 PM

“Pure class from Jim and the rest of the 9ers not complaining about it. Fans could learn a lot.”

Please don’t misunderstand me. I mean fans as a whole. Not trying to single out 9er fans, who I think are great fans. Lord knows I’ve had to listen to my fellow ravens fans blame a loss on the refs and for the most part, the 9er fans have been just as classy at their coach.

Great game, go get the steelers for us would ya?

10. linkinxr says: Nov 25, 2011 12:43 PM

Future people. Jim is teaching accountability and being responsible. Chilo knew better but because he is awful he makes mistakes. My only question is if right side is letting pressure why no screen pass to the right to offset rush?

11. ccoolahan14 says: Nov 25, 2011 12:44 PM

Classy by the 49ers for recognizing that the officiating did not cost them this game. If only Steelers fans could learn the rules so that we didn’t have to hear them cry every time the Ravens win. It’s convenient how the Steelers fans mentioned this call but didn’t mention:

1). The terrible block in the back call on the Ravens punt return that likely cost the Ravens 3 points (Mike Pereira even took to twitter to say it was the wrong call….He said the chop block was the right call earlier).

2). Obvious missed holding call when Haloti Ngata was about to make the sack on Alex Smith. Smith ended up running for a first down on the play, and the Niners scored a FG on the drive (Mayock: “That’s a pretty easy holding call to make”)

3). On the Lardarius Webb INT, Braylon Edwards is obviously interfering with Webb, even grabbing his dreads before grabbing both arms and his jersey. This site even mentioned the OPI in a previous entry.

4). With the Ravens driving Dennis Pitta runs a post and Donte Whitner runs directly into him, knocking him over with no flag (Mayock: “That could have been called pass interference.” I’d say.)

5). With the Ravens trying to run out some clock and needing only five yards to be in field goal range, Ricky Williams gets the first down, but the refs mark it short. They don’t convert the third down and have to punt (Mayock: “Nessler, you were saying that you think that was a bad spot and I would agree with you.” Nessler: “Looked to me like they definitely got the first down.”)

If the Ravens had lost, you wouldn’t have heard their fans complaining about the officiating. This post is just to demonstrate how utterly ridiculous it is that Steelers fans are trying to paint this as the refs trying to help the Ravens. One QUESTIONABLE call vs five BAD calls. To the niners fans, again, this isn’t to complain about the calls at all- it’s to demonstrate the idiocy of people saying that one questionable call is why the niners lost. At the heart of the issue is the fact that the Steelers fans are trying to make it SEEM like the refs favored the Ravens because they know that for years and years (this year included), the refs have rigged Steelers games, and ESPECIALLY Ravens-Steelers games, so anytime the Ravens get ONE borderline even questionable call in their favor, they’re going to try to use it as proof that Ravens games aren’t rigged, Steelers games aren’t rigged, and particularly, Steelers-Ravens games aren’t rigged. Funny how their posts often end with: “After such and such call, the Ravens fans have no right to complain about officiating in the future” (Read: the refs are going to rig the heck out of a Ravens-Steelers game in the future, potentially this year. I know it, you know it, and anyone who follows football knows it, so let’s make sure we preemptively set up the “you can’t complain about officiating in the future!” narrative).

12. sixjak says: Nov 25, 2011 12:44 PM

Yeah technically it was a penalty but it was a bit ticky tack. Chilo’s blocking or lack thereof was more of a problem. Interesting that his lack of awareness on this play though killed an amazing effort by both Ginn and Smith. Starting RG Snyder was out for this game. His experience was certainly missed. Starting FB Miller was also out. Oh well injuries are a part of the game as well as short weeks. Oh well we’re still 9-2- nobody else can say that. Good game to examine and address weaknesses. And sorry GB fans your team’s defense isn’t even close to BAL’s defense so don’t envision the same kind of results when the the two teams meet in the NFC Championship game.

13. mr92687 says: Nov 25, 2011 12:46 PM

Admirable, but I disagree. It was a bad call, Rachal barely touched him and both he and Pollard were on their way to the ground anyway. Maybe Rachal was bracing himself for the fall…

14. dfeltz says: Nov 25, 2011 12:48 PM

Its refreshing to hear this from a coach and his players not banging on the refs or dwelling on a single play. The 9ers are going to be real good for awhile. As a fan of an NFC team, I don’t like it, but I respect it.

15. comeonnowguys says: Nov 25, 2011 12:53 PM

Forget Suh, Schwartz needs to take a lesson in this.

And how to take a handshake like a man.

16. flavadave10 says: Nov 25, 2011 12:54 PM

It was definitely a chop block. Granted, it was a very inadvertent and clearly not intentional one. But once Rachal pushed Pollard into Gore’s low block, it became a chop block. Unfortunate, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Props to Jim for being classy about it. The NFL needs more coaches like the Harbaughs.

17. nattypoes says: Nov 25, 2011 12:55 PM

Can you please do a story on Flacco’s Fu Manchu??? I’d think that wouldv’e been first on the docket today.

18. dowhatifeellike says: Nov 25, 2011 12:58 PM

It was the correct call by the letter of the rule, but I don’t think the intent of the rule was to penalize a play like that.

The intent of the rule is to protect a player from getting his legs cut out from under him when he’s already engaged up high. The rule is to protect a player’s knees when they’re locked out and driving through an opponent.

On the play in question, the player was already engaged low, and Rachal put his hand on his midsection, which drew a flag.

As a Ravens fan, I feel guilty that San Fran had a touchdown called back for that. I know I’d feel jobbed if the roles were reversed.

19. darrelb says: Nov 25, 2011 1:00 PM

I don’t have as much class as Harbaugh. That was a terrible call with huge consequences for the game’s outcome. It is my understanding that a chop-block occurs when a defensive lineman is engageed, meaning standing up, and another player hits him low. That is not even close to what happened on that play and it cost the 49ers a 75-yard touchdown pass.

20. buffaloniner says: Nov 25, 2011 1:07 PM

Not to take any credit away from B-more, who definitely destroyed San Fran’s O-line and played balls out beast mode on defense. The Ravens did deserve that win and may have won without the calls in their favor anyway, but this game was clearly called one sided by the refs. I agree that the chop block and pass interference calls were technically correct, although they were so slight that in most games they probably wouldn’t have been called (ok maybe pinning the receivers arms down on the interception-turned pass interference was a little more blatant) but the thing that nobody is mentioning is how many penalties were NOT called on The Ravens. Just to name a few, I watched the B-more O-line move prior to the snap all night long and they were never called for false starts. Alex Smith had his head yanked to the ground at least twice by the facemask. A replay of one of the incidents was even showed in slow motion before a commercial break but nobody said a word about it. Was I the only one that saw this?? Yes I know the Ravens did have some penalties called on them, but if the refs were really calling this game as tight as it appeared they were on the calls against The Niners, it kinda makes you wonder why they would choose to ignore the obvious ones on the other side.

In my opinion it comes down to Baltimore/Pittsburgh rivalry and the way the NFL and media have been trying to hype this as the “best rivalry in football”. Does anybody else find it strange that these type of calls happen in both Baltimore and Pittsburgh games more than any others? I’m not saying that either team has the refs in their pocket, the calls go both ways, for or against either team depending on the game, but it is always one sided in these situations. Game to game it’s either all for B-more or all against B-more, all for Pitt or all against Pitt. Somebody has these refs in their pockets but it is not the Steelers or the Ravens. Is the league trying to keep this rivalry as close as possible to ensure high interest and rating?? You decide. Keep a close eye on this.

21. rmc1995 says: Nov 25, 2011 1:07 PM

If the league is serious about protecting players this was the correct call andit must bebe called. The Lions were called on a similar chop block earlier in the year and yesterday that cost them big yards. They would have been called dirty had this been a piece about the Lions and Schwartz. Please try to keep your praise and convictions consistent.

22. miketomlinssteelers10 says: Nov 25, 2011 1:09 PM

ccoolahan14 says:Nov 25, 2011 12:44 PM

Funny how most Steeler fans get lumped in with the few that do cry foul ,but other teams fans are perfect and NEVER EVER complain about the refs….Believe me if it would’ve been reverse and the ravens lost,all hell would’ve broke loose.
    Very classy of Jim to not complain. Because he’s right.

23. sbxxix says: Nov 25, 2011 1:10 PM

As a 49er fan I’m glad Jim is our coach. He represents his team better than any other coach in the NFL. We lost a tough game and that was it no exuses, no finger pointing and no crying. You show your true character in defeat and Harbaugh just showed great class and character. I’m proud to be a 49er fan, now more than ever. I think our team will be even better the rest of the way. This loss is really what we needed

24. travisblink619 says: Nov 25, 2011 1:19 PM

Good call or bad call??? Either way, as a Niner fan, I give no excuses. The Ravens simply played a better game. It starts with line play. D-line and O-line were both outplaying the 49ers. Nine sacks on Alex Smith and conversely, Flacco had all day in the pocket. This was still a defensive fought game, and I’ll be damned if you take away credit from the Niners. They still played their hearts out. I don’t think that it is entirely out of the question that this game could be a Superbowl Preview. Good Job Ravens

Go 49ers…..Rams next week and then lets see if we can’t tally up a check mark in Pittsburgh’s L column!!!!

25. theravenlives2 says: Nov 25, 2011 1:27 PM

OK, folks, here’s the bottom line. I was at the game, and my seats – in the front row of the upper deck – are about where the play started. The ball was snapped, and the flag was thrown BEFORE Smith ever threw the pass.

Now if Smith floats the ball over Ginn’s head, no one – not ESPN, not Rich Eisen, not John Harbaugh, not Elvis Presley – is talking about this right now. Maybe the call was a ticky-tack call, but so was the blocking in the back call on Webb’s punt return early in the game.

If I’m a 49er’s fan, I’m more worried about my turnstile of an offensive line that allowed nine sacks than I am this call.

If I’m a Steelers fan, first I’m wondering why I’m such a loser that I have to post on a Ravens thread, then I’m even more worried about having to travel to Candlestick in week 15, and Ginn torching my seive of a secondary like Torrey Smith did.

26. jbcommonsense says: Nov 25, 2011 1:28 PM

I was worried about this guy after he seemed so manic in the way he slapped Detroit coach Jim Schwartz on the back; But this was refreshing to see. Classy leadership is a core element of team success.

27. ravensfan4life52 says: Nov 25, 2011 1:30 PM

It was a bad call, but it doesn’t matter because we deserved to win that game. Our defense was amazing!

28. bigbeefyd says: Nov 25, 2011 1:47 PM

Classy guy for sure!

29. cusoman says: Nov 25, 2011 1:58 PM

sippindasyzurp says:
    Nov 25, 2011 12:15 PM
    ——————–
    All the more reason to install full time officials.

30. ticalcaldwell says: Nov 25, 2011 2:04 PM

SO WAS THE GRESHAM TD RIGHT HARBY

31. nssmuckers says: Nov 25, 2011 2:13 PM

It was a bad call and I don’t even think technically it was correct as Jim said, but he’s being very classy about it. I think if you actually watch him say it, it was pretty obvious how he really feels about it.

I have sympathy for the officials in that situation as well because it happened very fast.

Having said that, I’m not sure it would have made much of a difference. Baltimore deserved the victory and in the end the score probably flattered San Francisco.

This is coming from a Steelers fan: well played to Baltimore, I think that win may have just won you the division.

32. flavadave10 says: Nov 25, 2011 2:18 PM

ticalcaldwell:

Allow me to give my humble explanation of why Gresham didn’t have a TD. Gresham did not demonstrate possession of the ball before he got into the end zone. His second footstep with possession of the ball landed in the endzone. Therefore, you can throw out the breaking the plane thing, that’s irrelevant. If you catch the ball in the endzone, you must complete the process. Gresham allowed the ball to hit the ground and it came loose while completing the process.

It was a tough call, but it’s the right one.

33. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 25, 2011 2:54 PM

ccoolahan14 says:
    Nov 25, 2011 12:44 PM

————————————————————–

Again, the Ravens fans play their favorite game: “Only whiners complain about the calls when they go OUR way, but let me now whine about the Steelers getting all the calls.” It’s a comedy show that’s sure to leave you laughing!

By the way, I love that “you Steelers fans need to learn the rules” considering how the Ravens fans were all in arms about the Santonio Holmes TD in Baltimore a few years ago. By RULE this was the correct call, but Ravens fans cried and cried about it — because they didn’t know the rules. Oh the hypocrisy of the Ravens fan.

Oh the hypocrisy of the Ravens fan.

34. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 25, 2011 3:16 PM

By the way, ccoolahan, what rules do the poor uneducated Steelers fans need to learn — “you can’t hit a guy with the helmet”? Because that’s what Ray Lewis did, and got away with it. And how do we know he did? Because the NFL fined him for it a few days later.

I have to laugh at your post — your claim that Ravens fans never whine about calls is just incredible! NOBODY and I mean NOBODY makes a stink about refs like the Ravens fan. I will never forget the whining that came out of Baltimore over the Holmes touchdown in Baltimore a few years ago. Then, reading your paranoid rant about how every Steelers-Ravens game is “rigged” — even games the Ravens win! — is hilarious. And just for good measure, you even set up an excuse in advance should the Steelers beat the Ravens next game — “the refs are going to rig the heck out of a Ravens-Steelers game in the future… you know it, and anyone who follows football knows it.” Wow, put on the tinfoil hat much?

So please, you and all the other Ravens fans, keep playing that “only whiners whine about calls that go our way — but let me tell you about all the calls that go the Steelers way!” It’s just good comedy!

35. nattypoes says: Nov 25, 2011 3:17 PM

@ ampatsisahypocrite

You realize by calling out Ravens fans for being hypocrites about crying about calls, you are also in turn crying about calls which also makes you a hypocrite.

I’m just sayin.

By the way, now that the Steelers aren’t getting all the calls they usually do, their fans are crying more than any fan base I’ve ever seen this year about calls in games that they aren’t even playing in. Somebody give the baby its bottle.

36. flabtreesports says: Nov 25, 2011 3:28 PM

Enough about the Holmes call. The only one bringing that up in the last 3 years is you, namely 5 times per day on every Ravens related article. That call had nothing to do with interpretation of a rule. It was a judgment call over whether the ball crossed the plane. It was ruled a TD, and most of us weren’t happy about it. The Gresham non-catch, however, was due to interpretation. The fact that you keep saying he “had possession” before crossing the goal line despite not getting his 2nd foot down in the end zone demonstrates your lack of understanding, especially because it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. He was going to the ground as part of the catch and didn’t maintain possession.

End of story, but probably not end of whining. You’ll find some other call to complain about with every Ravens game remaining.

37. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 25, 2011 3:50 PM

Sorry flabtree, you don’t get away with what you’re trying to pull off… the Holmes TD was NOT a “judgment call” as the replay cam CLEARLY showed his feet were in the end zone — which was all that mattered (talk about needing to learn the rules). Meanwhile, you try to sneak in the idea that the Gresham call that went your way was about “interpretation” instead of judgment — sorry, no sale.

What you don’t realize is that the refs had ALLOWED the same thing with Victor Cruz of the Giants a few weeks earlier — same play, ball crosses the plane but scrapes the ground afterwards. The Giants were awarded the TD nonetheless. So at best it’s ref inconsistency here, which in this case went YOUR WAY. I have no “lack of understanding” here, it’s all about YOUR inability to grasp the rules. Gresham could’ve easily been awarded that TD just as Cruz was. You just got lucky.

I have to laugh — obviously you Ravens fans aren’t comfortable now that people (and not just Steelers fans) are pointing out all the ref generosity your team has been receiving lately. It goes against your “the calls always go against us!” shtick you guys rely on to explain your losses. I guess blaming some league/refs conspiracy for every loss to the Steelers is a lot better than facing reality: that the Steelers were the better team when they beat you, and made the big plays when they needed to, at crunch time.

38. goldrush94 says: Nov 25, 2011 4:03 PM

If you look at the stats on both teams, you see how even they were. Look at Smith and Flacco’s stats. Looks at the rushing stats. Very even all the way through. Only difference: 9 SACKS for Baltimore, 0 for SF. Shows you that had the 49ers been able to protect Smith, game could have easily swung the other way.

Great old school, smashmouth, Defensive game. Fitting for Thanksgiving!

39. coachglove says: Nov 25, 2011 4:08 PM

Ok would SOMEONE – ANYONE – PLEASE explain the penalty that was called to members of the media and Frank Gore and Jim Harbaugh? They didn’t call a chop block because the OL touched him…they called it because it is illegal for a RB to cut the end man on the LOS on a pass play. The safety was lined up on the LOS and was, in fact, the end rusher. Gore should have just manned up and taken on the SAFETY head up. Instead, he tried to go low and the refs correctly called a penalty. The penalty most of you are referring to can only be called when the player is engaged high and another player hits the legs. When you are being chopped legally and a lineman touches you on top, that does not qualify for the illegal chop block penalty. It is also illegal for a TE to chop block the end man on the LOS.

The chop block rule everyone is referring to is when a DL is cut AT THE SNAP and engaged by a 2nd player. Since the play in question did not happen AT THE SNAP (ie – OL fires out and DL legs), nor did it involve an OL firing out, it is not the “double-team” ruling of chop block. The RB version of the “double-team” rule can only be called on a running play.

40. flabtreesports says: Nov 25, 2011 4:17 PM

Unbelievable. I’ve wasting enough of my weekend on this already. Santonio’s two feet down made it a catch, but the ball had to be ruled to have broken the plane to be a TD. The fact that his two is feet were in the end zone is meaningless, as the plane of the goal line is infinite. You’re confusing a catch in the back or side of the end zone with Holmes’ catch. Ask yourself where a ball is spotted for a first down. Is it where the feet are or where the ball is located?

I do agree that its nice to get some borderline calls. That’s common with fans of any team. Look the Holmes call up for yourself, then try to enjoy the rest of your weekend. You seem wound up.

41. miketomlinssteelers10 says: Nov 25, 2011 4:23 PM

ampatsisahypocrite says:Nov 25, 2011 3:50 PM

Well said and well put!! When we lose to them I never say refs,I say you won.

42. somesome says: Nov 25, 2011 4:32 PM

ampatsisahypocrite says:Nov 25, 2011 3:50 PM

….: that the Steelers WERE the better team when they beat you, and made the big plays when they needed to, at crunch time.

Thank you, what is your point? You are not relevant anymore so now you have to post on Raven articles?
    Who cares, go play for a wild card spot and then you can come back to B’more and shows us what you got.

As for everybody else, what is with all the non-holding calls on our D-line? Ngata has to drag two people hanging off his jersey to get to Smith at least ten times last night.

43. laxrb says: Nov 25, 2011 5:28 PM

As a former official I know how rare it is for a coach to admit an official was right, even after seeing the play confirmed on tape.
    Class act coach.

44. miketomlinssteelers10 says: Nov 25, 2011 5:42 PM

somesome says:Nov 25, 2011 4:32 PM

ampatsisahypocrite says:Nov 25, 2011 3:50 PM

PUHLEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!

45. travisblink619 says: Nov 25, 2011 6:02 PM

Look folks, every team has been on either side of a questionable call. Sometimes you’ve won and you know your team got away with one and sometimes you’ve lost. In this case, the Ravens outplayed my Niners and deserved the game. I’m not going to cry over spilt milk, here. I think that it is totally unfair to Niners fans for this to be about the Steelers-Ravens rivalry when the Steelers weren’t on the field. So please let us 49er fans take thus lump without making it political.

On a side note, through hard-nosed, gifted football play, the 49ers have already pretty much clinched a first round bye, and maybe even homefield advantage.

46. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 25, 2011 9:21 PM

Thanks for the compliment, miketomlinsteel, obviously you are a man of taste. It’s hilarious, isn’t it, to see the Ravens fans all squirm now that their team is getting the attention for iffy calls going their way! You see, the Ravens fan wants to have it both ways — to tell the Bengals and 49ers fans to man up and take the refs’ decision like men, then turn around in the next breath and claim that there’s some league conspiracy to “rig games” in the Steelers’ favor. It’s truly beautiful and hilarious to see!

Oh if only flabtree understood the rules, he’d know that Holmes only had to have some part of his body in the end zone for the play to be ruled a TD. That’s why the call was made, and later upheld upon review by the NFL. And if only the rest of the Ravens fans would ask themselves, if there’s some conspiracy for the Steelers, how is it a cleaner hit by Ryan Clark gets flagged, while a direct helmet shot by Ray Lewis goes ignored, in the same game? Kind of pours a little cold water on that conspiracy theory.

But I’m glad to see the fans of all the other teams get to see what the paranoid deluded Ravens fan truly believes in… now let’s play the theme from the “Twilight Zone” as we go out…

47. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 25, 2011 9:35 PM

Now, to recap for my bud flabtree — three conditions that made it a TD:

1. Holmes had part of his body in the end zone — sorry, this DOES matter, and satisfies part one for it to be ruled a successful TD. The receiver’s body, not just the ball, must be in the end zone.

2. THEN the ball must cross the plane — the sideline replay confirms it did break the front of the plane — so I’m with you there bud. Now there is one more requirement to be fulfilled.

3. The receiver must come down with possession, and it doesn’t matter if he lands on the 50 yard line when he does. Holmes completes the catch, maintains possession, and voila! It’s a TD.

End of lesson. Have a nice weekend.

48. flabtreesports says: Nov 26, 2011 12:16 AM

Ampatsisahypocrite says:
    Nov 25, 2011 3:50 PM
    —————-
    His doesn’t jibe with your last comment. It actually just proves mine. I said it had to cross the plane. How many people in your head do I have to argue with?

49. redbear18 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:21 AM

They’re not making a big deal about it because: a) One touchdown wouldn’t have made a difference on the final result of the game, b) There is no shame in losing a fairly competitive game to a good team, c) They’re still doing WAY better than last year, d) Harbaugh has enough class to not complain about trivial things like that, and e) they’re still in the drivers seat for the second best seed and record in the league with 4 of their last 5 against the NFC West.

50. raqaiw says: Nov 26, 2011 8:52 AM

@ampatsisahypocrite:
    Wrong again. Your body DOES NOT have to be in the endzone. You can knock the corner pylon over with the ball and its a TD because the BALL crossed the plane. End of lesson. Have a nice weekend.

51. flabtreesports says: Nov 26, 2011 9:20 AM

You said: “Sorry flabtree, you don’t get away with what you’re trying to pull off… the Holmes TD was NOT a “judgment call” as the replay cam CLEARLY showed his feet were in the end zone — which was all that mattered (talk about needing to learn the rules).”
    —————-
    This doesn’t jibe with your last comment. It actually just proves mine. I said it had to cross the plane. Understand yet?

52. sonoco says: Nov 26, 2011 10:57 AM

It was a “good call” that would have been a better “non-call”.

53. dstep24 says: Nov 26, 2011 3:54 PM

boltschick says:
    Nov 25, 2011 12:30 PM

_______

Really? The guy deserves to be honored for choosing not to look dumb by calling it a bad penalty, when it was clearly a chop block? I suppose when your coach spends most of his time disrespecting other coaches and players and trying to show them all up, this is a big deal. I recant.

54. crtjr says: Nov 26, 2011 11:57 PM

Was casually checking comments & about to leave but got sick of the Ravens obsession with Steelers & fans. I live in B’more county, I watch the news and listen to the Ravens team & fans constantly complain about calls and cry conspiracy. Lie and say its not try. Even the year #20 didn’t get defensive player of the year, Harbaugh and co had a fit. It was on the news.

Life is great now for the purple and black. You got bogus PI calls benefiting you the last 4 games you win, your happy little hypocrites. Notice: Steelers don’t care about you all! We knew sooner or later you’d get the best of us, but look how classless you act.

Everyone knows that from Harbaugh on down had the roles vs. the 49ers been reversed, they would still be crying about officiating…

Here’s the truth:

Ravens got 4 PI calls to put the ball on 1 yard line 4 TIMES to beat the Cards.

A TD was taken away to help beat the Bengals.

Two PI calls to help you beat the Steelers (ball on 1 and 4 yd lines).

That terrible the PI call on the INT vs the 49ers and noodle weak chop block call to beat the 49ers (yeah, that offensive lineman really had him engaged)

…and you all are happy as you can be but r still not satisfied.

You’re STILL taking shots at Steeler fans. Why? You won twice, why chide us to make yourselves feel better now?

Even when you win, you still show a serious lack of class.

55. crtjr says: Nov 27, 2011 12:02 AM

dstep24 says:
    Nov 26, 2011 3:54 PM
    boltschick says:
    Nov 25, 2011 12:30 PM

_______

===================================

You see how Ravens fans are? The biggest hypocritical, sorest winners ever. If the roles were reversed what would have been big brother’s response?

56. crtjr says: Nov 27, 2011 12:06 AM

You know, I normallty cheer for the Ravens, living in the area today and all when not playing the Steelers and I like so many of the players, Rice, Lewis, Torry Smith now, Heap (from back when he was with them), Flacco (I support him more than Ravens’ fans), Gnata, and even Suggs and more…

…but these hypocritical, inglorious b45tard fans just make me happy when they lose because I know they would be eating their hearts out when and pretty much get what they deserve.

57. dhudge says: Nov 27, 2011 10:01 AM

@ all who argue with “ampatsisahypocrite”…

He’s a tool…and NOT the sharpest one in the shed!
    For him ignorance is bliss, so no amount of argument with him will end in your favor.

Treat him like like we try to teach our teenagers about drugs…”JUST SAY NO!”