Kevin Smith has mild ankle sprain, could be back next week

Green Bay Packers v Detroit Lions Getty Images

Lions running back Kevin Smith reportedly suffered a high ankle sprain on Thursday, which is loosely known in football parlance as “the bad kind.”  But the prognosis may not be all that negative, after all.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Smith has a mild sprain.  He could be back next week, when the Lions face the Saints on Sunday Night Football.

Smith’s injury came only four days after he generated 201 combined rushing and receiving yards, along with three touchdowns.  The Lions need him badly, now that Jahvid Best has been placed on injured reserve with a concussion suffered in the middle of October.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
11 Responses to “Kevin Smith has mild ankle sprain, could be back next week”
  1. packers31steelers25 says: Nov 25, 2011 4:14 PM

Maybe he can play DT, I hear there may be an open spot for the next few weeks.

2. sbxxix says: Nov 25, 2011 4:16 PM

Tough break. My fantasy football injury list keeps stacking up. A. Johnson, P. Hillis, T. Hightower, J. Morgan, J. Best, M. Ingram, K. Smith, M. Schaub… That has to be some kinda record!!!! Horrible season for me. I cant believe I’m 4-7 it should be 1-10

3. mjkelly77 says: Nov 25, 2011 4:24 PM

Hopefully he’ll be OK. His story was shaping up to be one of those “given a second chance” success stories. I wish him well.

4. joerevs300 says: Nov 25, 2011 4:55 PM

For all the run QB situations get in the NFL, I can’t think of a team off the top of my head that’s went 12 seasons without an impact running back like the Lions have since B.Sanders left after 1999.

And it’s one of the reasons they’ve consistently had losing season after losing season and missed the playoffs.

I have a bad feeling this “feel good” story is going to have a bad ending with Atlanta and Chicago getting their mojo back, as well as the DAL/NYG situation.

5. Soulman45 says: Nov 25, 2011 5:45 PM

THE GREAT DETROIT LIONS have to get this turn around my10-6 is looking shaky.
    We need a little more control more D and the QB need to get well.
    Short on running back got some fixing to get done.

6. 3ghostninja says: Nov 25, 2011 5:53 PM

The Lions definitely have a better offense with KSmith in the game. Here’s to a full recovery!

7. craigjosh says: Nov 25, 2011 5:56 PM

Man he looked very good early yesterday. That game may have turned out quite different had he stayed healthy. What a great story, I really hope he gets well soon.

8. obamablowz says: Nov 25, 2011 6:43 PM

What is the man crush with this overrated injury prone guy?

9. tigerman3 says: Nov 25, 2011 7:29 PM

It’s all about the RB in Detroit, always been always will be. from Steve Owens, Doak Walker, Billy Sims , Barry Sanders Jahvid Best, and now Kevin Smith. The Lions play their best when they have a high draft pick to carry the ball. The Lions were 5-0 when Best suffered his concussion 2-4 since. Smith had a great game against the Panthers and looked good early against the Pack . Hopefully he will be back soon.

10. mazenblue says: Nov 26, 2011 3:12 AM

How on earth is k smith overrated. Released by lions in the off season. Nobody signed him. His first game back, btw week 11, he put up over 200 yards offense. You my friend, obamablowz, is completely clueless. Good job KS. High character classy guy. Forget about suh. Keep my leos in the playoff hunt.

11. ryanb66 says: Nov 26, 2011 7:31 AM

sbxxix says:
    Nov 25, 2011 4:16 PM

- my drafted team
    - Cutler, Andre Johnson, Kenny Britt, Ahmad Bradsahw, DMC, Ryan Mathews, Antonio Gates
    - i think i have you beat!