Lions say Suh “failed to meet the level of sportsmanship we expect”

Atlanta Falcons v Detroit Lions Getty Images

A day after Ndamukong Suh was ejected from their annual Thanksgiving game, the Detroit Lions have released a statement condemning Suh for stomping on Green Bay’s Evan Dietrich-Smith.

“The on-field conduct exhibited by Ndamukong Suh that led to his ejection from yesterday’s game was unacceptable and failed to meet the level of sportsmanship we expect from our players,” the statement read. “Ndamukong has made many positive contributions to the Lions on and off the field. We expect his behavior going forward to consistently reflect that high standard of professionalism.”

There was no name attached to the statement, which makes it unclear who the statement comes from: Lions owner William Clay Ford? General Manager Martin Mayhew? Coach Jim Schwartz? There’s no word on who wrote the statement, or whose opinion was being expressed.

But someone in the Lions’ front office has been talking to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s office, and the Lions know discipline is coming.

“We have been in contact with Commissioner Goodell’s office and were advised that, like any on-field matter, Thursday’s incident is subject to review by the league office and that subsequent discipline would be determined by the league office,” the statement read.

For his part, Suh has changed his tone from defiant to apologetic, writing on Facebook today that he’s sorry for what he did.

The NFL is expected to inform Suh of his discipline by Tuesday.

Permalink 192 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
192 Responses to “Lions say Suh “failed to meet the level of sportsmanship we expect””
  1. sterilizecromartie says: Nov 25, 2011 9:03 PM

Suh is a punk. Not only for his on-the-field actions, but also for his pitiful conduct afterwards. He says he is sorry to his teammates and the Detroit fans, but has no apology to the offensive lineman whose head he tried to tear off then stomped on? What a sorry excuse for a professional.

2. El Capitan says: Nov 25, 2011 9:03 PM

“I made a mistake, and have learned from it.”

if you believe that…then you are a mug.

3. rpiotr01 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:04 PM

How about apologizing to Evan Deitrich-Smith for trying to break his neck and then stomping his arm with your cleat?

The bum STILL doesn’t get it.

4. iambadkid says: Nov 25, 2011 9:06 PM

see he “tutti frutti oh rudi …… i got a gal named sue” again he did it again once again

5. ramal1dw says: Nov 25, 2011 9:07 PM

How about to apologizing to the guy you stomped?

6. Pacific NW Mark says: Nov 25, 2011 9:07 PM

No way that statement came from the coach who earlier this year tried to incite a post-game brawl with his opposite number.

William Ford is a class guy. I hope he realizes the ‘rebirth’ of his franchise is swiftly turning into a PR nightmare. People around the league have been rooting for Detroit because the Lions have been so bad for so long, but the actions of Suh (and earlier, of Schwartz) are causing that goodwill to evaporate in a hurry.

7. cubear34 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:07 PM

Sounds like suh is finally getting it, unfortunately only adder the realization that fines and a possible suspension are coming. The suspension might just work if the nfl has the balls to do it.

8. wetpaperbag3 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:07 PM

Total punk move by the Lions organization in making an “official” statement, but won’t attach a name to the statement. Was it the owner, coach, PR official, waterboy? You want to call Suh out, but don’t want to identify yourself? Wow…Now I’m starting to see where Suh gets his lack of accountability from.

9. pacificamjr says: Nov 25, 2011 9:08 PM

i’m a HUGE lions slappy for 30 years, and even I dont want this miserable P0S on our squad…

10. mred163 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:08 PM

If you bekieve that, you believe in the tooth fairy. He needs help!!

11. malekmj says: Nov 25, 2011 9:09 PM

If he apologizes he is lying if he doesn’t he is a moron. He was beyond pissed on Thursday. I have done the same thing many times. Dig my heals in after something stupid only to realize my moronic behavior the next day. Its called life. Especially for competitors and stubborn people. Not an excuse for his moronic and classless behavior but it does make sense.

As a Lions fan I am kinda glad this happened if it had to now. Maximum embarrassment and not a game that was in the Playoffs or a must win in the last few weeks.

12. KIR says: Nov 25, 2011 9:10 PM

I don’t understand the comments. First you’re unhappy with the refs and GODell making the game soft. Now your complaining about a player who would have never received any of the initial fines if GODell never changed the way football has been played for the last 50 years. You can’t have it both ways. smh

13. kd727 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:10 PM

Or any level of sportsmanship, for that matter.

14. fanisy says: Nov 25, 2011 9:10 PM

Well, at least someone said it.
    With this + a suspension maybe Suh will get it through his head that this doesn’t help him one bit.

15. bspurloc says: Nov 25, 2011 9:11 PM

calling it a kick is just lame describe it as it was a STOMP
    wah wah wah I just got owned by a no name offensive linemen

16. 700levelvet says: Nov 25, 2011 9:12 PM

i know who wrote it…The Lions PR firm, as it’s just window dressing in hopes the commissoner doesn’t come down to hard. And Suh’s comments are almost laughable….

17. rogerbrad says: Nov 25, 2011 9:12 PM

He sould be ejected for the balance of games this season. That would hit him in the pocketbook. Nothing else seems to get his attention…

18. rmc1995 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:12 PM

He shouldn’t apologize at all. It wouldn’t be accepted by those who look to what the man did on the field rather than what he does off of it. Watch this thread and see the hate from those who wish his salary be taken from him and given to lord knows where to those who hope someone ends his career.

19. i3addog says: Nov 25, 2011 9:12 PM

I’m sure it’s been made clear to him that he had better show some remorse or risk a heavy penalty. I’m sure the front office told him to start eating crow, hence the facebook apology.

20. snarkzilla says: Nov 25, 2011 9:12 PM

Yeah. He got that all cleared up during his cheesy dog and pony show meeting with Goodell but made a “mistake” three weeks later. “Mistake” = being too obvious and getting nailed for it.

What’s the over-under on how long till he takes the next head/neck shot?

21. snarkzilla says: Nov 25, 2011 9:14 PM

>hate from those who wish his salary be taken from him and given to lord knows where to those who hope someone ends his career.

But fine with you that he keeps trying to end the careers of other players.

22. tfbuckfutter says: Nov 25, 2011 9:14 PM

I do have to say…..

It’s nice to finally have someone outside of New York or Dallas to actively root against.

23. profootballgossip says: Nov 25, 2011 9:14 PM

Sure as hell didn’t come from Schwartz. That guy has zero problem with fielding a dirty team. Read his totally unapologetic post-game comment regarding Suh: it’s almost worse than Suh’s. At least Suh is still a kid.

24. enders9 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:15 PM

So he apologized to everyone BUT the person who deserved the apology the most. Yep, he’s still an idiot.

25. snarkzilla says: Nov 25, 2011 9:15 PM

>You can’t have it both ways.

Yes, we can. Battle during a play. Not after a play.

26. i3addog says: Nov 25, 2011 9:16 PM

I heard from a guy who heard from another guy who knows a guy who knows the groundskeepers mailman say that the letter was written by the equipment manager’s ex wife.

27. schmokes says: Nov 25, 2011 9:18 PM

malekmj says:
    Nov 25, 2011 9:09 PM

——————————————————-

hahahaha, playoffs…..that cute…

28. rexismybff says: Nov 25, 2011 9:19 PM

Q: What do you call a Packer fan with a sheep under his arm?
    A: A pimp.

Q: Why does Lambeau Field have the new hybrid turf?
    A: To keep the fans from grazing during the game.

Q: What do you call a sober Packer fan?
    A: A liar.

29. steelerhypocrite says: Nov 25, 2011 9:19 PM

Not to excuse Suh, but the Packers get all the breaks/calls from the league. Prime example – The NFL has cracked down on celebrations over the last 20 years – aka The No Fun League. So, someone please explain why the Lambeau Leap is still allowed? Where’s the consistency? Goodell is afraid of all the whining/backlash that would come out of GB…

30. jimmylions says: Nov 25, 2011 9:20 PM

I missed the second half of the game, but the descriptions from friends was that this was pretty vicious. I’m embarrassed and upset. I’m glad he was ejected and I’m glad we lost.

I hope they suspend him for the remainder of the 2011 season.

31. boblavoie says: Nov 25, 2011 9:20 PM

There is something totally wrong with this guy. He must think every one else in this world must be stupid. He’s trying to tell us we didn’t see what we all saw. He should be tested not just for drugs but mentally tested. Then suspended.

32. tommytd says: Nov 25, 2011 9:22 PM

Sit his ass down.

33. dudeicle says: Nov 25, 2011 9:22 PM

but he’s not a dirty player, right? It’s just his super human strength that made it appear as though he slammed the dude’s head into the ground…. and stomped on him. It’s really a curse, this super human strength thing.

34. tatum064 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:23 PM

rpiotr01 says:
    Nov 25, 2011 9:04 PM

The bum STILL doesn’t get it.
    =============================
    What happened was Evan Dietrich-Smith pushed him back with his leg awkwardly planted…in an attempt to damage him…Suh pushed his head down trying to let him know “Don’t do this to me”…where he made the mistake was stomping his arm afterwards.

The weak reply made it worse, but Goddell will figure this thing out. They don’t want a “pay-back” incident to occur down the line. Suspending Suh will help him calm down, think about what he did…I only fear a “ban for the remainder of the season” will occur with Goddell trying to “protect the shield”.

What’s happening is Suh was dominant in college, and can’t be here, so his temper is getting the best of him, then the OL are dishing out, what he probably does, and he is reacting.

He’ll have to pick his spots to “get away” with it, or simply scale back his violence.

It’s a shame, because the league has and always will have its “villians”. Its all part of the entertainment…no one is intentionally out to hurt anyone, but his reputation is beginning to hurt the team – his absence weakens that defensive front.

An apology by Suh might have been in order and some humility. That could go a long way…they let the Packers record get to their heads – don’t comment, and find ways to slow that attack down.

35. bobcat252525 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:24 PM

Ok for all u morons who have never played. Watch the tape. The idiot guard tried to bend Suh backwards would can easily blow out a d linemens knee. I played football in high school and college. That is how my career ended. I am not saying he shouldn’t be disciplined but at least know what you are talking about and not what this idiot writer wants you to believe. Also for all thosevtalking about him using cleats, he was playing on turf. They don’t wear cleats on turf.

36. vikescry1 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:24 PM

Suh sounds like the dude that beats his girl and keeps telling her he won’t do it again. Until he finally beats her to death. What a loser. I have lost so much respect for him and the lions orginization. They need to get a clue what sportsmanship and class r. anyone on suh’s side on this is just as classless.

37. noeffinway says: Nov 25, 2011 9:26 PM

Ya’ll need to go get your own Suh to bash. Until then you can be jealous of the one my Lions have! Buncha cryin’ wussies! “Cooooooooooach, he’s looking at me all meannnnnnnnnn”, Bwaaaaaaaahahahahaha!

38. nickynick04 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:29 PM

Ndamukong Suh needs to be shut down for the remainder of the year. I just saw the tapes of him head tackling 2 QBs, and now this. This guy is undefenseable. You cannot take his side.
    He has major issues and needs to be shut down, and address them……

39. tigrrrr says: Nov 25, 2011 9:29 PM

Most pos team:
    Suh, Vick, Jackson, Dez
    All degrading and hurting the game we love!

40. jimmysee says: Nov 25, 2011 9:30 PM

He continues to offer the narrowest of apologies.

41. blackheld says: Nov 25, 2011 9:30 PM

KIR says: Nov 25, 2011 9:10 PM

_____________________________

True, K. But most of these people are posting here so they can say, “See? I posted on PFT about that (rat/great player- they’ll pick one) Suh. Aren’t I smart?”

I’m more bothered by the NY Post writer who interviewed Matt Slauson and trumpeted all over the internet that Suh’s temper was a problem at Nebraska. It seems almost impossible to believe that with all the attention he got before the 2010 draft, that not one word about this ever came to light. Subject to further review, I’m gonna call BS, and add a stomp to the NY Post.

42. Soulman45 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:32 PM

It over Soulman45 have spoken let go to work and get to the Super Bowl.

43. fourinchfavre says: Nov 25, 2011 9:33 PM

“In the past few hours, I have had time to reflect on yesterday’s game and I want to sincerely apologize for letting my teammates down, the organization, and especially to my fans who look to me for positive inspiration, but not Evan Dietrich Smith who I really owe an apology. This dumb@$$ continues to amaze me with his stupidity.

44. slickzmoney says: Nov 25, 2011 9:33 PM

You heard the man, he’s already learned from his mistake. Guess there’s no need to suspend him now.

45. packerman1968 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:37 PM

Facebook is the devil.

No way I would let my players post anything on it.

46. lionsfanatic84 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:38 PM

Nothing will ever be good enough in the court of public opinion , I’m not condoning what he did, but nobody wil be happy no matter the outcome. Funny thing is he still leads pro bowl voting for dts

47. bwilson124 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:39 PM

I hope that no one tries to end his career or anything like that, but I fear that someone will try to take a cheap shot or two at him, and soon. And anyone saying this is “old time football” or ” the way the game used to be played”, might remember Charlie Martin slamming Jim McMahon to the ground. He got suspended for it, this was back in 86 I think. So, this is nothing new……If you play beyond the whistle, especially repeatedly (like Martin did frequently), you have to pay. If you play hard UNTIL the whistle blows, I have no problem with it. Like the play earlier in the game where he’s obviously pushing the guys helmet off….dirty play yes…. but I really have no problem with that stuff.

48. pdxpanther says: Nov 25, 2011 9:41 PM

I highly doubt Jim Schwartz is sending out a press release about sportsmanship.

49. dfinpds says: Nov 25, 2011 9:43 PM

The turd has too much entitlement to write any of that apology garbage……get up in front of a camera and speak the truth, not some made up self-serving crap like we heard at your press conference and apologize like a man……not a prepubescent pouty four year old who has a direct pipeline to “the man upstairs”. “Insanity is continually doing the same thing and expecting different results”……..how many girlie little hissy fits will this turd have to throw before he gets a clue????

50. cup1981 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:44 PM

So what’s the over-under on how many years Suh plays before he’s ousted for steroid use? This was obviously a case of ‘roid rage at its finest.

51. humptyfratz says: Nov 25, 2011 9:44 PM

Sit him for 5 games, or Albert Haynesworth will sue the NFL for lost wages…and I’d agree with him…

52. dmackdaddy says: Nov 25, 2011 9:44 PM

I say suspend his ass 2-3 games for this!

53. msclemons67 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:45 PM

Suh and Haynesworth have one thing in common. Coach Schwartz. A punk coach training punk players.

54. matt14gg says: Nov 25, 2011 9:46 PM

The problem with lying about it first means you put yourself in a box when, inevitably, you have to own up to it later. The Lions should have known what he was going to say, and if he was going to go with the initial cover story, they should have muzzled him for a day until they could all get on message. By allowing him to speak, and thus lie, they have taken what probably would have been a one game suspension and turned it into at least three. Just bad management of a bad situation.

This kid needs someone, for once, to tell him something he’s probably never heard in his whole, entitled life: “You were wrong and you need to apologize”. As a superstar athlete he’s obviously never heard this before, and consequently never had to account for his actions. I hope he gets the rest of the season to sit and figure out what’s really important. As the best player on that team, he needs to be accountable to the rest of his teammates instead of being the selfish jerk he’s been so far as a pro. The next move he makes will define the rest of his career.

55. houndog50 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:47 PM

malekmj says: Nov 25, 2011 9:09 PM
    If he apologizes he is lying if he doesn’t he is a moron.
    ——————————————————-
    Actually malekmj, he’s a moron either way.
    The team statement isn’t signed by anyone, which give it zero creditability, the entire organization is a bunch of morons.

56. bcjim says: Nov 25, 2011 9:50 PM

**Lions say Suh “failed to meet the level of sportsmanship we expect”**

Translation: We are going to sweep this under this rug, ok?

57. istateyourname says: Nov 25, 2011 9:56 PM

Aw, what a nice statement. At least Dummykong’s agent’s heart is in the right place.

58. blackqbwhiterb says: Nov 25, 2011 9:58 PM

He has acted phony every step of the way and still sounds like he doesn’t mean a word of it.

59. hedleykow says: Nov 25, 2011 9:58 PM

60. nofunleague says: Nov 25, 2011 9:59 PM

Suspended for the rest of the season without pay. Anything less is unacceptable. If the Lions were serious they would have suspended him already and not wait for the league. But since they are going so far this year they need him. NOT.

61. pbolyard says: Nov 25, 2011 10:00 PM

Suh released another statement today and it sounds more like the response from a normal person(unlike yesterday’s). Sorry if you think I’m wrong but really he is still a kid. What is he 23? Everyone knows how dumb they are at that age and how it’s easy to act before you think. Just because he has the body of a man doesn’t mean he has the common sense intelligence of one.

62. thejuddstir says: Nov 25, 2011 10:03 PM

Talk about a clueless franchise. “statement from the lions” but no one has the gonads to it as they don’t want to suffer the ire of suh. suh nor the lions should make any kind of statement without first consulting with a spin doctor. Not apologizing to the player involved is mistake number one. Claiming his action was a “reaction” is pure nonsense and mistake number 2. By the lions giving “lip service, “his actions were unacceptable and failed to meet the level of sportsmanship expected of the lions” without taking it upon themselves to suspend him is mistake number 3 and implying that they consider the subject closed, “We expect his behavior going forward to consistently reflect that high standard of professionalism.” is mistake number 4. Stating that the team will leave any further action up to the league is a huge mistake number 5…………..Next to my favorite team, I actually rooted for the lions as my second favorite team………when the season started but after multiple dirty acts by Suh and other Lion players and culminating with yesterday’s actions by Suh, I can’t stomach the lions.

63. cliffordc05 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:04 PM

Hopefully Suh does get and learns from the suspension he will receive. As far as the comment about the enforcement of conduct and penalties making the game soft. There is a huge difference between Suh’s conduct after the whistle and the new rules about hitting defenseless players. The new rules affect how the game is to be played. There has never been an intention for players to take cheap shots at other players after the whistle blows. If you can’t distinguish the difference then you should be watching WWF.

64. straightbiznesses says: Nov 25, 2011 10:06 PM

Lions are weak, talk to me when they actually beat a good team

65. joetoronto says: Nov 25, 2011 10:07 PM

rmc1995:

Let me guess, Suh is a victim?

66. croghan1919 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:08 PM

Since no one attached their name to the statement I think its safe to assume its from ALL of his bosses.
    Minimum 50K fine and 2 game suspension just MIGHT get his attention.

67. thejuddstir says: Nov 25, 2011 10:08 PM

“In the past few hours, I have had time to reflect on yesterday’s game and I want to sincerely apologize for letting my teammates down, the organization, and especially to my fans who look to me for positive inspiration,” Suh wrote Friday evening. “My reaction on Thursday was unacceptable. I made a mistake, and have learned from it. I hope to direct the focus back to the task at hand — by winning.”…………………………………sorry MDS, I don’t really interpret this statement as Suh being apologetic for his actions but more as an “apology for getting caught and for his idiotic explanation of it afterwards” Anyone that believes this idiot “has learned from his mistake” overnight is just as moronic as Suh himself.

68. tellemallrex says: Nov 25, 2011 10:12 PM

In no way do I condone his actions, but I think it must be difficult at a young age to experience so much success. He needs to be mentored by an older player, and learn that no player, team, or organization will ever be bigger than the game.

69. nypd1056 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:13 PM

rmc1995 says:
    Watch this thread and see the hate from those who wish his salary be taken from him and given to lord knows where.

The moneys collected by the NFL through fines are distributed to various agencies that help the needy.

70. packerbacker12 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:16 PM

It’s pretty hard taking Suh’s apology seriously where not once did he apologize to the player whom he stomped. It is basically the same thing he said in his press conference yesterday but changed around the words.

71. neuteronomy says: Nov 25, 2011 10:16 PM

Riiiight. We’re supposed to believe that Suh, who couldn’t even string together a single coherent sentence when trying to defend himself – wrote this apology for his facebook page all by his own self?

Riiiight.

72. snarkzilla says: Nov 25, 2011 10:19 PM

>please explain why the Lambeau Leap is still allowed?

Because it’s a celebration with fans, not with other players. It’s not prohibited and other teams have a few players that do leaps as well.

You’re welcome.

73. nesuperfan says: Nov 25, 2011 10:19 PM

His initial denial proved he was Lion, er, lying, so why should be believe the liar now? I don’t.

74. contract says: Nov 25, 2011 10:19 PM

He’d get more respect if he admitted he was lying about “regaining his balance”.

75. snarkzilla says: Nov 25, 2011 10:20 PM

Q. Why do Jets fans post lame jokes about the Packers?

A. Because they have nothing to look forward to except more failure.

76. kegowhisky says: Nov 25, 2011 10:22 PM

Leaving his Facebook picture up with a deranged look on his face and the caption “BE THE HAMMER OR THE NAIL” on the same page as his apology is probably not the best tactic….. https://www.facebook.com/suh90?sk=wall

77. Andre's Johnson says: Nov 25, 2011 10:23 PM

You look at crazy ass coaches like Schwartz and Rex Ryan, and you look at the crazy ass stuff their players do…are we surprised at some of this?

Not that Suh’s sociopathy is induced by Schwartz’s insanity, but there’s got to be some correlation between Schwartz’s unsportsmanlike behavior and Suh’s inability to control himself. I guess I’m saying there appears to be a culture in Detroit that allows for too much nastiness.

I don’t think we’d be talking about Suh trying to smash a man’s head into the ground and then tear his arm off at the shoulder Beowulf and Grendel style if Suh played for the Patriots or Saints or Packers.

Dang, if he was playing for the Raiders, he’d have killed someone already.

78. snarkzilla says: Nov 25, 2011 10:23 PM

>This was obviously a case of ‘roid rage at its finest.

Disagree. This is due to his sociopathic wiring.

79. f16fighterjet says: Nov 25, 2011 10:24 PM

Next time he’ll take a shank onto the field and stick someone. What’s this his third or fourth time this year? He should be fined and suspended for a game, maybe that would open his eyes. If I wanted to watch a cage fight I know what channel it’s on.

80. tjacks7 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:25 PM

Didnt reach the level they expect? Cause he stomped on his arm and not him face knowing Shwartz.

81. trapshoot says: Nov 25, 2011 10:27 PM

Any tears. Suh is shedding over the incident in remorse are crocodile tears. He’s sorry alright, but not for his behavior. He’s just plain sorry.

82. warpd says: Nov 25, 2011 10:28 PM

Suh is a punk for what he did, my question is… where are Smith’s team mates? How do you let your boy get his head smashed into the ground and stomped on yet no one steps up and pulls the guy off him? Pathetic. I understand trying to avoid an off setting penalty, but c’mon man. I have zero respect for the Lions and the Packers.

83. garyman1 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:30 PM

Lions say Suh “failed to meet the level of sportsmanship we expect”.

Do you think ?

84. stevenfbrackett says: Nov 25, 2011 10:31 PM

Behold, the power of bad PR!!!

Seriously, it took them more than 24 hours to realize what the rest of us understood within seconds, namely the depth of Suh’s disgusting behavior? Seriously?

Would have meant a lot more, if the team announced it was punishing Suh – or even contemplating it, as is within their rights to do. Just couldn’t bring themselves to do the right thing, though.

Cowards.

85. ubummer says: Nov 25, 2011 10:35 PM

What they mean is that Suh failed to kick the guy twice.

86. madisonave99 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:35 PM

So the head coach can act like a petulant child and almost start a brawl with the opposing team’s head coach because the opposing head coach was “too excited” during the post-game handshake and that reprehensible behavior isn’t viewed by the Lions as “unsportsmanlike”, but Suh’s is…the Lions foster this atmosphere of ridiculous behavior and now that a player has gone overboard, they’re trying to do p.r. to salvage themselves

87. mrbig077 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:35 PM

I’m with Suh on this one.

Sincerely,
    Albert Haynesworth

88. philtration says: Nov 25, 2011 10:37 PM

bobcat252525 says: Nov 25, 2011 9:24 PM

=================================
    If you played football in high school and college then you did not have a “career”
    Unless you played for USC.

I played football in high school too and I know a scumbag when I see one.
    Suh qualifies with honors.

89. tfbuckfutter says: Nov 25, 2011 10:39 PM

rexismybff says: Nov 25, 2011 9:19 PM

Q: What do you call a Packer fan with a sheep under his arm?
    A: A pimp.

Q: Why does Lambeau Field have the new hybrid turf?
    A: To keep the fans from grazing during the game.

Q: What do you call a sober Packer fan?
    A: A liar.

————————————

You forgot one:

Q: How do you get a Packers cheerleader into your hotel room?

A: Grease her hips and push like hell.

90. kennyrogerschicken says: Nov 25, 2011 10:40 PM

steelerhypocrite says: Nov 25, 2011 9:19 PM

———————————

You again? Listen, every team gets breaks and calls, but it’s people like you who decide your agenda is fact when it’s not. The Lambeau Leap has been allowed for years, as it’s only one player celebrating. Players on other teams do the same in their own stadiums, as well.

Feel free to go away and stay away – your Packer bashing is baseless and making you look stupid.

91. 2ndaryinsanity says: Nov 25, 2011 10:40 PM

Too late for that now, punk. You had your chance to apologize and own up to it after the game. Instead, you gave a laughable excuse trying to come up with a “reason” for your unacceptable behavior.
    I don’t care to hear another word from you…because you’re a liar, poor sport, and a bully who enjoys trying to injure people.
    As for the Lions’ organization…they could have insisted Suh play hard WITHIN the rules. Instead, they did nothing and his behavior has become increasingly worse and erratic. Now, they put out this B.S. publicity statement that no one even had the balls to sign.
    It’s a total joke from an increasingly class-less organization.

92. nitz12 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:41 PM

Why isn’t anyone taking a look at the rather obvious targeting of only white players by this piece of garbage Suh? The QB’s and linemen he’s trying to stomp or twist the head off of are just the white guys. What would they be saying if it was a white guy doing it to only black QB’s and linemen? Suspend the racist forever and boycott Subway.

93. tatum064 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:45 PM

straightbiznesses says:
    Nov 25, 2011 10:06 PM
    Lions are weak, talk to me when they actually beat a good team

===============

pack last year 7-6, when Suh knocked Rodgers out of the game, remember?

Bears, Cowboys this year – all with winning records

FAIL

94. tatum064 says: Nov 25, 2011 10:50 PM

thejuddstir says:
    Nov 25, 2011 10:03 PM

==========

Get used to them. If they get a halfway decent running game, and Stafford stops throwing picks, they’ll be the team to beat for the decade

they have the divisions best receiver; Calvin Johnson, the best defensive tackle (even with the temper) Ndamukong Suh.

just need to get Jahvid Best healthy….

Youth will be served…the Lions roar has been restored.

Honestly, has their EVER been this much talk about them into November?

95. juanhughjazz says: Nov 25, 2011 10:55 PM

Not to condone what he did. But I was a little surprised that 3 flags came out when he stepped on the OT, but not one when he was pulled to the ground by that same OT. As closely as they watch Suh, I find it hard to believe they didn’t see that. Dude gets held more than anyone in recent memory. It’s no wonder he gets frustrated and goes over the edge.

96. cssidenver says: Nov 25, 2011 11:02 PM

Pro football is a violent game but these are professionals. Suh’s incident is beyond the pale and is indicative of some underlying issues. This was not about football.

97. richm2256 says: Nov 25, 2011 11:05 PM

tatum064 says:
    ———————————————————
    Yeah, that or he was , um, BLOCKING him.

You know, what OL are SUPPOSED to do.

98. luciano26 says: Nov 25, 2011 11:05 PM

Kid lost his temper, he was mad. I like the way he plays but he gotta stop that behavior, or he’ll be thought of like Haynesworth. I dont think Suh wants that, I think he wants to be great and make the extra money from commercials and all that but a couple more incidents like this and he’ll be a pariah. I hope he learns how to control himself on the football field, he is used to dominating and now he is in the nfl and he still dominates on some plays but not every play like the rest of his life. I’m willing to give him a pass because I love the way he plays but not many more. I coach o-d lineman in youth football(12-14 year olds) and I use a lot of his Nebraska tape as a teaching tool, to both teach technique and to get our o-lineman ready because kids started copying his style. Incidents like this sadden me, I know lots of young football players look up to him, most popular jersey # has been #90 or #93 last few years with my kids. I’m not a Lions fan btw or Packers…

99. binkee says: Nov 25, 2011 11:09 PM

A million people either were watching the game
    or later heard about the incident. The only
    people defending him are his relatives or dumb
    a$$ Lions fans that are just as stupid as Suh is,
    ” Moron = Suh “.

100. whyalwaysthehate says: Nov 25, 2011 11:23 PM

Suh should be ashamed. Punk behavior. Working between the wrong whistles. Total loss of composure which led to team loss of composure. Get this guy some anger management help while he is suspended. Talking to the Commissioner was a smoke screen. Get him off of the field. It is about him, not football. If he robbed a 7-Eleven it would be about him, not football. If he punched a fan it would be about him, not football. If he assaulted a waiter it is about him, not football. If he was on the street and behaved like this he would be subject to law and in jail. Since he is working for a league under the oversight of a union he is subject to the rules of the league which should come down hard on him with suspension and a heavy fine. 100K is not too much.

101. thejuddstir says: Nov 25, 2011 11:32 PM

tfbuckfutter says:
    Nov 25, 2011 10:39 PM
    rexismybff says: Nov 25, 2011 9:19 PM

Q: What do you call a Packer fan with a sheep under his arm?
    A: A pimp.

Q: Why does Lambeau Field have the new hybrid turf?
    A: To keep the fans from grazing during the game.

Q: What do you call a sober Packer fan?
    A: A liar.

————————————

You forgot one:

Q: How do you get a Packers cheerleader into your hotel room?

A: Grease her hips and push like hell.

————————————————

In 49 States if a person loses control of their car and go into the ditch they say “oh chit” but in Wisconsin they say, “hold my beer and watch this”

102. ninersforlife15 says: Nov 25, 2011 11:36 PM

Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, huh Schwartz? That team doesn’t have any class except for Calvin Johnson and Matt Stafford.

103. rmc1995 says: Nov 25, 2011 11:36 PM

Comparing Suh to Haynesworth and Charles Martin is stupid. Do you know how many plays, not games or halves or quarters or series but plays a player has missed because of Suh’s personal fouls or dirty play? Zero. Folks assume he’s going to hurt someone eventually but have nothing but assumption to back it up and instances of what other players did that actually hurt people. Assumptions are the measure for suspensions.

104. snarkzilla says: Nov 25, 2011 11:38 PM

>as the Lions proved, you knock out Rodgers, they’re just another team

Suh, is that you? Or are you just another punk at a keyboard looking at injuring other teams’ players as the way to win?

105. jcd213 says: Nov 25, 2011 11:46 PM

You’re a dick and you aren’t winning consistently. He is only sorry that it was caught on video and he will not only be fined, but miss a couple game checks. Karma always shows its face… its coming punk.

106. lilrob10201 says: Nov 25, 2011 11:50 PM

Suh is a poor mans Mean Joe Greene.

107. Steelerbear78 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:01 AM

@tatumo64, Get a clue. The whistle hadn’t blown up to that point and Suh was getting owned by a back up. He was just playing hard. As good character players actually do. Yes, Suh was bent backward. As any offensive lineman or defensive lineman it happens all the time. Only difference is Suh can’t take it when he’s not dominant. And he was clearly shut down in that game. Didn’t even get credit for a pressure. He has no mental toughness. Just like Schwartz, whom clearly didn’t write the statement that came out of Detroit. I recon he didn’t even understand it. Because it really did sound classy and sincere. Something Schwarz isn’t.

108. mikehockhurtz says: Nov 26, 2011 12:12 AM

Expect anything better to come out of Detroit?

109. db105 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:14 AM

I’m surprised that more people are not saying it’s a mistake instead of bad behavior.

110. joyjoy69 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:14 AM

luciano26 says: Nov 25, 2011 11:05 PM

———————–

I’ve got some news for you – he already is thought of in the same terms as Haynesworth. If that is the rep he wants, he should be pleased. But I’m sure we can all take comfort that Evan felt everything was right after hearing Suh’s apology for letting down his teammates and fans. I mean, I’m sure that’s why Evan was upset – because Suh let down his teammates!

111. canesnut says: Nov 26, 2011 12:21 AM

hedleykow says:Nov 25, 2011 9:58 PM

“I defy anyone who watched the Lions game to say that Suh’s stomping incident wasn’t entertaining. The NFL loves everything Suh brings to their brand, but pretend they don’t, while playing the fans for a bunch of fools. I thought the whole thing was pretty funny. Made my day!”

I had to take a moment to digest this idiotic comment before deciding to respond. While we all desire to be entertained by the NFL, at no where in the mix does it say that there should be an effort to harm the other player, particularly after the play is over and you just got manhandled. What I think would have or will be more entertaining is when someone decides to give Suh a dose of his own medicine and snaps his leg off in an effort to allow him the time to meditate on his behavior. The fact that he is very well spoken has obviously covered up for his misbehavior and reckless behavior on the field. I watched him at Nebraska and thought that all he needed was a little more maturity to go with his immense skillset, but now believe that he is beyond recognizing his immaturity and arrogant nature. Hopefully he gets suspended the rest of the year and will take the time to consider what he truly refuses to acknowledge…..that he is at fault and there is no excuse but to blame himself for being a punk who got beat and responded like a suckerpunch punk would. The alternative for him is to have someone “accidentally” roll him up and put him out for longer than 4-5 games.

112. vikingsinla says: Nov 26, 2011 12:22 AM

Ndamustomp is nothing more than human excrement. Irredeemable, irresponsible, and as such an ideal ambassador for the city of Detroit, and the state of Michigan in general. You can’t blame Lions fans for embracing their ass-hat champion for the fraud he is, as they drink the same water he does, so its really not their fault. Detroit should be nuked from orbit, its the only way to be sure, and nothing of value would be lost.

113. fruityromo says: Nov 26, 2011 12:27 AM

He was just trying to balance himself. Like he said, just watch the replay. ? I don’t know why I’ve watched the replay more than once but it clearly shows that YOU Demonican Suh are a dirty player. Grow up or get outta here.

114. broncfolife says: Nov 26, 2011 12:28 AM

Probably the commissioners fault.
    Didn’t they meet a few weeks back to discuss what he can do and can’t do?
    Commish probably forgot to mention kicking and stomping.

115. huskersrock1 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:29 AM

I noticed he didn’t appologize to the guy he stomped.

116. Bearfan54 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:33 AM

Here is what I think Goodell should do. Bring Suh into a room with with two TV’s on a table. One TV will play the incident involving Suh with the volume turned down and in slow motion. On the other tv will be playing Suh describing what he thought happened with the volume turned up so he can here himself describing the events while watching it in slow motion on the other TV. He will get to see with his own eyes the rediculousness of his excuse. Then Goodell can explain to him he is not BS’ing anyone but himself.

117. arsement says: Nov 26, 2011 12:34 AM

To whoever reads this post… I do understand it falls less favorably to the 99% who have an opinion on this issue, but I’d like to make a testament to Suh’s character:

I think he should be punished for his actions from the Thanksgiving game on Thursday. I also do not think his actions make him a ‘bad’ person.

I think of a story about Suh and Best. They got word of a local high school football team who had their equipment stolen in the middle of the season. The school contemplated forfeiting the rest of the season because it did not have the resources to replenish the stolen equipment. Suh and Best replaced the entire team’s equipment in time for the school’s homecoming game and didn’t miss a game due to the theft.

As aforementioned, I do not condone his actions on Thursday and think he deserves to miss a few games because of it. But I do think people need to halt on the talk of his character off the field.

118. elmoron says: Nov 26, 2011 12:35 AM

tfbuckfutter says: Nov 25, 2011 10:39 PM

Q: How do you get a Packers cheerleader into your hotel room?
    ====================================
    Who’d want to?

119. bigtganks says: Nov 26, 2011 12:40 AM

You mean just because he lost his balance that means he was unsportsmanlike?!? Doesn’t the man upstairs know that?

I’m guessing it WAS the unnamed man upstairs who wrote the letter :)

120. skulz fontaine says: Nov 26, 2011 12:41 AM

Ndamukong Suck fails the fans in Detroit. Well and, fans of the Detroit Lions that aren’t in Detroit. Long time fan of the Lions. Not a fan of Suck. Punk, lame ass antics, and the goof is just a distraction in a year that COULD have brought Detroit back to respectability.
    Detroit will NEVER catch Green Bay. Detroit will more than likely not even catch a wild card.
    Detroit has had the ‘hope’ sucked out of them again and Suck is to blame.
    Dumb ass.

121. barklikeadog says: Nov 26, 2011 12:43 AM

Matt Milken don’t look so bad now, do he?

122. Andre's Johnson says: Nov 26, 2011 1:05 AM

Lots of interesting points being discussed here. I wish this were a more traditional message board where we could respond directly to one another.

I’m with you, madisonave99, about the Lions fostering this kind of insanity. Also, I agree that there may be some racial underpinnings, but there seems not to be enough evidence to go there quite yet. Offensive linemen probably comprise the biggest white population in the NFL (possible exception: QB). So if it seems like he’s gone after a bunch of white dudes, it’s probably because he’s been matched up against a bunch of white dudes.

The state of Nebraska doesn’t strike me as the hub of racial diversity, so maybe he’s allowing himself a little catharsis after a few years in corn country.

Regardless, he’s out of control; I think we can all agree on that. He’s got one of the only jobs in the world where he can literally render a man paralyzed while millions of people are watching…and it’s within his job description. And that’s not enough for him. He wants to kill a guy by stomping on his head and ripping his arm off.

Give him the remainder of this season to sit in his room and think about what he’s done. If he can play by the rules, then let him come back next year. But if I’m in charge, he’s done for 2011.

123. lilrob10201 says: Nov 26, 2011 1:10 AM

tigrrrr says:
    Nov 25, 2011 9:29 PM
    Most pos team:
    Suh, Vick, Jackson, Dez
    All degrading and hurting the game we love!
    ——————————————————-
    How is Vick degrading football ?He actually brings excitment to the game.

124. uwsptke says: Nov 26, 2011 1:32 AM

bobcat252525 says:
    Nov 25, 2011 9:24 PM
    =======================

First, hilarious usage of the “if you didn’t play, you don’t know what you’re talking about” defense. Secondly, it’s true that players don’t wear cleats – on Astro Turf. But nobody uses that playing surface anymore. This surface uses synthetic rubber grass blades, complete with chewed up rubber to simulate dirt (the tires from the Firestone tire recall years ago, actually). So yes, the players use hard rubber cleats. Actually that might explain a lot about the Lions’ lack of success over the past decade if they are still using flat bottom turf shoes. Kevin Smith fell down a few times when he tried to make a cut.

125. iminyrhead says: Nov 26, 2011 1:37 AM

Ndirtykong Suh is a prime example as to why the NFL needs to start immediate testing of HGH and any other PED’s …

The rage is in the juice … Sorry Ndirtykong!!

126. jimbamboozel says: Nov 26, 2011 1:44 AM

its really not that big of a deal. as a defensive football player youre conditioned, daily, to want to hurt people, and to harness your aggression. suh is a player that gives 100 percent every single play, plays with passion and intensity that any football coach would want to see in one of there players. yes he crossed the line, but him flirting with that line is what makes him a great player. for anyone that has ever played contact sport, even at just a varsity high school level, i challenge you to look back on your playing time and to not find one moment where you lost your cool and atleast your teammates had to hold you back from doing something stupid. to condemn a 24 year old the way that most people here are, for kicking someone in the arm is ridiculous. suh is a man i would want in the trenches with me everyday of the week especially on sunday.

127. texansarenumber1 says: Nov 26, 2011 1:51 AM

steelerhypocrite
    Nov 25, 2011, 8:19 PM CST
    _________________________________

Every team leaps in to the crowd….you can’t call that unfairness on GB just because they have a name for it…..now stop whinning and go crawl into the gutter where all the other detroit fans are….smh

128. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Nov 26, 2011 1:57 AM

I don’t think I’ve seen the football community so disgusted with a player since Mike Vick.

129. 1stngoal says: Nov 26, 2011 2:05 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Suh and his agent have been informed that many if not all of his endorsement deals may be in jeopardy because of his spectacle of stupidity in front of the the entire nation…

130. mr86ism says: Nov 26, 2011 2:07 AM

Damn I cant wait until all these people have something/someone else to hate. Didnt Stallworth kill a man? Spread the hate people. Spread the hate

131. devrick says: Nov 26, 2011 2:16 AM

Understandable that the statement wasn’t credited to any particular person. It sends the message that it comes from the organization as a whole, and that anyone who condones or makes excuses Suh’s actions does not reflect the official position of the organization.

132. granadafan says: Nov 26, 2011 2:22 AM

Give us a break. Suh didn’t apologize. His agent wrote a half arsed “apology” for Suh in a desperate attempt to save face and his endorsements. And who “apologizes” on Facebook. I want to see Suh in front of the cameras apologizing and not reading some statement the PR dept or his agent wrote for him. But we all know he won’t do it because the real Suh already made his statement yesterday when he lied and said he lost his balance.

Stop reporting the fake apologies and claiming it was from the player.

133. feverdr says: Nov 26, 2011 2:38 AM

I’ve watched the replay over and over (its on youtube just look up Suh stomp) and I don’t think his foot/leg/shoe/cleat even touched the guy… It was more like a mad shake he did, it wasn’t a stomp, there was no contact, there was no reaction from the downed player.

Take a look and I think you’ll agree. This is total bs. He was angry and made a motion but there was not contact.

134. pacificajim says: Nov 26, 2011 3:06 AM

Was Tiki flabbergasted?

135. childressrulz says: Nov 26, 2011 3:09 AM

Suh is due everything that is heading his way. From suspension to cheap shots. Karma.

136. couchbasher says: Nov 26, 2011 3:38 AM

terrible example for kids or humanity….suspend him the rest of the season.

137. couchbasher says: Nov 26, 2011 3:44 AM

now the jerk is learning how to manipulate the media and fans…just like Rothelisberger…suspend him till next season.

138. occamsrazor1 says: Nov 26, 2011 4:09 AM

The power the media has over you simpletons is amazing. The media speaks and the sheeple repeat.

It was unsportsmanlike but nothing more. The packer player was in no danger of being injuried and he got up immediately. The Packer player didn’t even react so this isn’t an issue of player safety.

Most of the readers of profootballtalk are just mindless idiots who form their opinions from the turds in the media.

139. henryd3rd says: Nov 26, 2011 4:37 AM

Are fines tax deductible? Maybe this is Suh’s unique way of beating the Government out of some of his money. He’s discovered a new tax write off.

140. dumplingsrbrown says: Nov 26, 2011 4:48 AM

warpd says:
    Nov 25, 2011 10:28 PM
    _______________________________
    Interesting that many that defend Suh’s play as “old-fashioned hard nose violent football”. Maybe that’s true, but in the same regard, back then he likely would have faced some “old-fashioned hard nose violent payback” within the next couple plays.

Too bad. Maybe this would have taught him something that he surely doesn’t seem to be understanding now. Getting disqualified in that scenario pretty much might have saved his butt from coming retaliation. And the Lions fans are complaining about the officiating?

141. redtogreenxmasconnexmas says: Nov 26, 2011 4:54 AM

Suh deserves suspended at leat as long as Haynesworth. I almost want him not to b ethough so he can do something else to get suspended before the playoffs. Suh is a punk and deserves everything bad that is coming to him.

Even his college teammates did not like him which is very telling. He cares about nobody but himself and if he continues this conduct 2 or 3 more times there should be no way the NFL ever allows him back into the league.

142. johngaltwho says: Nov 26, 2011 5:35 AM

Clearly the PR staff and/or senior administrative leadership decided that the backlash doesnt look good and so they crafted a generic team statement as well as a written statement from Suh to be released to the media. What a crock. If the team were serious, the statement would be authenticated with signatures from ownership and the head coach and if Suh were genuinely apologetic, he would get up to the mic and let the apology flow as easily as did his ridiculous lies after the game. Clearly, the Lions just dont get it. I guess you cant teach integrity.

143. eddyjf says: Nov 26, 2011 5:39 AM

“I made a mistake, and have learned from it.”….”I forgot if there was anything else that they told me to say. I wonder what I said means.”

144. staffordsyear says: Nov 26, 2011 6:14 AM

suh did wrong but he will fix it,still my boy!

145. countyk66ers says: Nov 26, 2011 7:23 AM

Coming from Packerland I say move on people. Suh made a mistake and he will now pay for it. Its a battle out there and sometimes people lose their sanity. The Packers got the penalty the win. I think a one game suspension would suffice. If it happens again to that extreme he should be kicked out for eight games or longer. You didn’t hear Dietrich-Smith whining about it.

146. countyk66ers says: Nov 26, 2011 7:35 AM

just need to get Jahvid Best healthy….

Youth will be served…the Lions roar has been restored.

Honestly, has their EVER been this much talk about them into November?

===================================

Now here’s a guy that doesn’t have a clue! Thursday game showed that Stafford won’t stop throwing picks Calvin Johnson is defendable and , Raji and Pickett are better than Suh, Jahvid Best will never get healthy, and the Packer defense has met every challenge. As for knocking out Rodgers that’s living in the past. Green Bay has two excellent QB’s ready to go if Rodgers gets hurt.

147. jimmysee says: Nov 26, 2011 7:54 AM

tatum064 says:
    Nov 25, 2011 10:50 PM

“NO. Schwartz has changed that culture, he should keep it under control, but its changed – this isn’t a pushover anymore…and the Pack will be solved, because their NOT as defensively sound, as the Niners, Ravens or other teams. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS – as the Lions proved, you knock out Rodgers, they’re just another team, as are the Colts, and the Patriots.

————————————————————–

Truly — you’re as clueless as your team’s coach and that oaf at defensive tackle.

The goal is NOT to knock a player out of the game. This isn’t war; players aren’t snipers.

The goal is to play the game and show you are the better team that day.

Not cause injury.

148. denverdude7 says: Nov 26, 2011 7:59 AM

Suspend Suh and Schwartz for the remainder of the season.

It’s time for Goodell to send a loud and clear message that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. Additionally, Suh should be put on notice that any future behavior even approaching what he has already done this year will be met with a one year suspension. A second offense met with a 2 year suspension and so on.

This guy brought this on himself and now he must deal with the consequences.

149. cardmagnet says: Nov 26, 2011 8:06 AM

And yet AGAIN, he just apologizes to his teammates. He doesn’t apologize to the guy he stomped, or say that it was wrong of him to do. He’s just sorry he couldn’t keep playing. Arrogant jerk.

150. 1fembot2 says: Nov 26, 2011 8:14 AM

Suh’s “apology” on his Facebook is full of code words. Read: more excuses.

“…demeanor…cannot be derailed by the game, referee calls, fans or other players.”
    Translation: Bad ref calls & other players’s fault.

“My reaction on Thursday was unacceptable.” Translation: I reacted, not acted.

Still in denial.

151. 2ndaryinsanity says: Nov 26, 2011 8:21 AM

I find it unbelievable that anyone is defending this punk’s actions, because there just isn’t any excuse for Suh’s behavior. If he’d done this in the “real world,” he would have been arrested for assualt. As usual, there are those who will defend anything Suh does (no matter how outrageous) simply because he’s a good player. If this had been some nobody off the practice field, no one would be rushing to his defense.
    For all of those defending Suh, I have a question for you: if your son/nephew/etc behaved like this in a football game, would you just pat him on the back and say “way to go! Keep up the good work.” ?????? I sincerely hope not!
    Suh is a loose cannon and needs to be punished. There’s no place in football for a cheap shot artist…especially one who keeps defending his actions as he continues to amp up the level of violence.
    If there ever was a time for Roger Goodell to come down hard on a player, this is it.

152. 2ndaryinsanity says: Nov 26, 2011 8:30 AM

Correction: if this was some nobody off the practice SQUAD (not practice field), no one would be defending him. :o)

153. donl517 says: Nov 26, 2011 8:55 AM

Apologizing to an individual on Facebook would be a punk move, apologizing to the organization, teammates, and fans is not. If he is going to apologize to the player it should be done personally, not on Facebook.

Until now the “dirty player” label was nothing but a bad rap, but he changed all that with the reaction to whatever happened that WE DIDN’T SEE! He let a guy get in his head and lost his composure, plain and simple. Did he overreact, ABSOLUTELY!

Here is just one example of things that went on:
    Matthews gets two full steps to plaster Stafford, KVB gets a 15 yard penalty with half a step to Rodgers, 3 plays later, yeah that seems fair.

154. innoculo says: Nov 26, 2011 8:56 AM

Packers backup lineman > Suey. that’s why he went Donkey Kong.

Lions were the feel good story of the year in the beginning of the year. Now, they are simply seen as the dirtiest team in the league with a pyscho head coach as well. I watched the game with non NFC North fans and they came away from the game commenting how dirty the Lions where.

Refs watch TV too… Lions are going to get a lot of questionably calls against them that refs would probably let slide if it was a different team. Bet on it. Even that one hit on Rodgers which look legit to me was flagged because of the reputation the Lions have.

155. Amadeus says: Nov 26, 2011 9:07 AM

The macarena is being replaced by the Suh Foot Stomp. Look for it at your next wedding.

156. dfinpds says: Nov 26, 2011 10:03 AM

I wonder how many of you “old time football” fans will be screaming foul if suh-er gets his knees taken out on a chop block on 1/1/12???? Old time football was a game with a lot of paybacks and cheap shots from BOTH sides………any guesses who is the most motivated to even the score????

157. snarkzilla says: Nov 26, 2011 10:03 AM

>Q: How do you get a Packers cheerleader into your hotel room?

Go 11-0.

158. hscorpio says: Nov 26, 2011 10:11 AM

Suh was getting handled by a backup, former UDFA unknown. So he lashed out in the only way he knew how. He may be smart and a good person off the field but he’s not got a lot of football character.

Albert Haynesworth is the Ghost of Christmas Future for Suh. Same mega talent. Same attitude. Unless Suh has a moment of clarity and alters course, he’ll end up the same way.

159. easyeddie says: Nov 26, 2011 10:34 AM

Quantcast
    #
    2ndaryinsanity says: Nov 26, 2011 8:21 AM

——————————————
    I for one am not defending Suh at all. I’m critcizing many of the idiotic comments like “throw the punk in jail” and “suspend Schwartz for the rest of the year as well.”
    Goodell will likely come down hard on Suh, but the hyperbole is ridiculous.

160. easyeddie says: Nov 26, 2011 10:38 AM

Quantcast
    #
    2ndaryinsanity says: Nov 26, 2011 8:21 AM

——————————————
    I for one am not defending Suh at all. The incident was dirty and he’ll deservedly be suspended. I’m critcal of the many over the top comments like “throw the punk in jail” and “suspend Schwartz for the rest of the year as well.”

161. jimbamboozel says: Nov 26, 2011 11:00 AM

you cannot even begin to compare albert haynesworth to suh. suh doesnt take a play off, isnt a distraction off the field, and would never lay down on the field, the way that we have all seen haynesworth do. suh simply needs to be roped in a little and get his emotions under control. football is an emotional game and he clearly is an emotional person. he will get it figured out, he is a smart man even finishing up his engineering degree when he could of simply went to get a pay day in the nfl.

2ndaryinsanity: ofcourse no one wants to see this type of behavior and no one is saying that its okay. people are simply saying give a young 24 year old man a break, he doesnt walk around the streets kicking people. if he was diving at peoples legs and trying to give someone a career ending injury i would agree with you but that clearly was not what happened. they had been going at it all game he got frustrated and lashed out when he shouldnt have.

I found this on suhs charity website and hopefully it will give some of you some clarity to what type of person he is instead of judging the man off of one action when he is fired up and emotional and crossed the line. “Ndamukong’s passion for philanthropy began at a young age, donating his own clothing, books, and toys to the children of his parents’ home lands of Cameroon, Africa where Michael, his father was born and Jamaica where Bernadette, his mother was born. As he grew so did his giving. He went on to be an active volunteer at local food banks, and participated in major recycling functions with his family. Entering his college years he spent time visiting hospitals where he comforted the elderly and held babies in NICU.

His most notable giving experience came a)er his graduation but before obtaining his first post-collegiate position. He donated $2.6 million dollars to his alma mater dedicated to both the athletic program and the college of engineering department of which he received his degree.”

He gave away 2.6 million dollars, most of which went to the engineering department to make sure that under privileged kids could attend the school even if they could not afford it. There was 100 times less coverage over that, then over him kicking someone in the arm. do some research before you start to judge and berate a guy for a moment where he lost his emotions in an emotional game.

162. bbb82 says: Nov 26, 2011 11:04 AM

The Lion’s PR dept did a great job writing that.

163. jimbamboozel says: Nov 26, 2011 11:14 AM

haha im not even a lions fan, i just understand what its like to be an emotional football player. between the lines hes a different person.

164. imjinbrdgr says: Nov 26, 2011 11:21 AM

I wonder if all the Suh defenders from The Huge show here in GR will now flip flop their position. On Friday he had some GR Press hack on who had “reviewed the tape 103 times” and saw that Suh was totally innocent and there was a conspiracy against him. Well the Lions and Suh have both apologized and admitted guilt. So much for your objectivity and credibility. What a bunch of homers.

165. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Nov 26, 2011 11:34 AM

Better to be well done than well said.

166. easyeddie says: Nov 26, 2011 11:35 AM

hscorpio says: Nov 26, 2011 10:11 AM

Suh was getting handled by a backup, former UDFA unknown.

———————————-
    Getting handled by whats-his-name? Sorry but he was doubleteamed (as most teams do vs. Suh).

167. td40 says: Nov 26, 2011 11:44 AM

The NFL is a bunch of wusses which can’t discipline it’s own players, never truly punishes out of control players in a way that actually gets through to them, and thus practically promotes behavior like Suh’s by letting him get away with it and then only slapping him on the wrist when he does something.

And that is why I think he’ll get no more than a one game suspension. Sorry, but Suh is a marketable face in the NFL and the NFL knows his presence on the field is one that may make someone tune into a game (if for no other reason to see him freak out and do something stupid again)….. and we all know that, with the NFL, the number one priority is money, ratings, ad sales, etc.

It’s my opinion that Suh should be kicked out of the NFL period. Personally, I have a huge problem with a mean spirited a-hole making 25 times what I do in a year. But the NFL knows where it’s bread is buttered and I will not be surprised at ALL if they suspend him for only one game because, ultimately, getting him back out on the field is more of a priority to them than actually making this cro-mag think about what he did and learn a lesson from it.

168. captainloaded says: Nov 26, 2011 11:49 AM

He did it one Facebook? Be a man and say it to the world. I can only imagine him rolling his eyes as he was typing his apology.

169. jgrossi2210 says: Nov 26, 2011 11:50 AM

The witch hunt continues. This guy has done more good off the field but that never gets covered. Dietrich-Smith played a huge part in this. If none of you see that, then you no better than those saying Suh is innocent in this. He was ejected and he will be fined, anything else is a witch hunt.

170. td40 says: Nov 26, 2011 11:53 AM

jimbamboozel
    says: Nov 26, 2011 11:14 AM

—————————————————

Ha. People say things like “Hey, he’s an emotional guy”- as if that’s an excuse or makes his behavior any more tolerable. I assure you it doesn’t- so his defenders can stop using the “emotion card.”

And I also don’t think that 99% of us care how charitable, nice, or intelligent he is off the field. We care about how he acts and what he does ON the field. He can spearhead all the charities in the world. If he can’t control himself (like 99.9% of the other players in the NFL are doing 99.9% of the time) and loses his mind and starts stomping or trying to twist the heads off people, then he’s still an idiot and a loser, despite what he’s like off the field or how many charities he gives to.

Newsflash: People who have a practically unending supply of money are often directed by their management or agents to give money to charity or have someone else do all the work to establish a foundation in the player’s name. For some (but not all) of these guys, it’s just about APPEARING charitable. I’d bet dollars to donuts that’s Suh.

171. rmc1995 says: Nov 26, 2011 11:57 AM

Of course the apology is a plea bargain to appease a blood thirsty media and fan base that has compared him to players that have injured players for multiple games, tortured and killed dogs, beat their girlfriends and drink and drive. Admitting to a stomp even if he believes it wasn’t intentional is hoping to remove himself from that company but the media and public have made up their weak overreacting minds.

172. mjkelly77 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:00 PM

I’m sure that the Saints, Vikings, Raiders, Chargers and Packers hope that he’s suspended for the rest of the season. Not gonna happen. The game tape will be reviewed and all of the uncalled holding penalties against Suh will be seen as well as numerous blown calls that favored Green Bay. Also shown will be how Evan Dietrich-Smith pulled Suh down and held him on the ground. That’s what precipitated the whole scenario. I agree that Suh was frustrated and overreacted. He needs to learn a lesson. Don’t take it out on the linemen illegally holding you. Instead alert the refs to keep a closer eye on the inside play. Evan Dietrich-Smith has probably been laughing at how he was able to frustrate Suh. Suh deserves a heavy fine and a two game suspension for pushing Evan Dietrich-Smith’s helmet and stepping on his arm. Hopefully Suh will learn a lesson.

173. paulieorkid says: Nov 26, 2011 12:01 PM

Suh’s *obvious* attempt to deceive EVERYONE — basically shotguns his credibility on anything that ever has or ever will come out of his mouth.

It’s proven he will lie straight to the faces of, well, everyone — including his head coach, his teammates, the Lion fans, the Commish and anyone who’d hear him pleading how he was just “trying to step out of the pile.”

Great player — but people who lie time and time destroy their own credibility.

174. billh1947 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:17 PM

On Tuesday the Commish will add another chapter to his book of lessons Suh continually refuses to read and heed,has there ever been an NFL player that has been suspended for a whole season? if he comes back from his latest suspension and gets in further trouble the Commish would be wise to let him take all of next season off to read his book on the rules of the NFL.

175. jimbamboozel says: Nov 26, 2011 12:19 PM

td40:

Why do you care about how he acts on the field? most of the reasoning seems to be that people care because he’s supposed to be a role model. If that is the case, wouldnt what he is doing off the field be far more important for how someone should act and give back to society?

i am not using emotion is an excuse for him but it is the reason for his actions. and all of us have reached a point in life where we have let our emotions get the better of us. thankfully we were not on national television for the world to see.

there are 1700 players in the nfl on the active roster, so by your math, suh is one of two players out of 1700 hundred that lose their head through out the course of a game. this is clearly not the case. once again this is hyperbole.

Suh needs discipline and to harness his emotions and aggression better, when he can do that he will be a much better player. he is only 24 and will continue to grow and learn.

I guess really what im trying to understand is why losing your cool and over reacting the way suh did in this situation has caused such an out-cry. I would love to understand your point of view better and why it upsets people so much.

176. benhenry11 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:42 PM

Does anyone think that just because of talent and money earned, that there is no need for a mental health evaluation of some players whose past is not ntimately involved in the present? AND is Schwartz leaership or lack of it not also part of this dirty lions play? Suspend Suh and repremand the coach whose words of leadership allow this to happen time and time again! Remember Haynesworth? Who was the defensive coach? This guy Schwartz is NOT a leader by any measure!!!

177. benhenry11 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:43 PM

Does anyone think that just because of talent and money earned, that there is no need for a mental health evaluation of some players whose past is not intimately involved in the present? AND is Schwartz leaership or lack of it not also part of this dirty lions play? Suspend Suh and repremand the coach whose words of leadership allow this to happen time and time again! Remember Haynesworth? Who was the defensive coach? This guy Schwartz is NOT a leader by any measure!!!

178. Deb says: Nov 26, 2011 12:44 PM

What’s irritating about this is that Suh should have been disciplined for yanking off helmets when making tackles. That has nothing to do with tackling technique and could cause serious neck injuries. But no one seemed particularly interested in that. Perhaps if the NFL and the Lions had been more concerned about his behavior before, it wouldn’t have escalated to this. And though I do not condone Suh’s over-the-top reaction, he was provoked by Dietrich-Smith’s attempt to injure his back.

179. rmc1995 says: Nov 26, 2011 12:58 PM

@td40
    Questioning someone’s charity is classless. Only judging a man’s character for what he does on the field is being unable to differentiate between a brutal game and realityis delusional. You need to get your priorities straight.

180. imjinbrdgr says: Nov 26, 2011 1:12 PM

I was in a few fights as a youngster and never remember holding someone down on me as they were pounding my head in to the ground. I generally tried to get them off me. Must be some new kind of fighting. Suh is a liar and a dirty player. Even some of his college team mates are coming forward with stories of him losing his temper during practice.

181. asublimeday says: Nov 26, 2011 1:36 PM

Thanks for helping get the bears into the playoffs!

182. bigcarguy1 says: Nov 26, 2011 2:02 PM

what do you expect from a player when his coach tried to fight another coach not too long ago!! This entire Lions team need to grow up–they are not used to being in the national conversation and it shows. They have the talent to get it done–hopefully their minds will follow!!

183. pabillsfan says: Nov 26, 2011 2:22 PM

Instead of apologizing to your team mates, how about apologizing to the dude you stomped on?

184. nickynick04 says: Nov 26, 2011 2:24 PM

If Schwartz was any kind of man, he would have seen this ” Sicko’s ” issues awhile back.
    Schwartz and Suh need HUGE fines, and games off. Scwartz one game, and Suh 4 to 6 games. depending on how he acts from now to week 2 of his suspension. If still in denial, 2 more games. he needs to apologise to the Lions, the Packers the player who’s head he smashed 3 times before kicking him.
    And the fans of the NFL It was a family day event that he used to show his anger towards others ….

185. easyeddie says: Nov 26, 2011 2:42 PM

pabillsfan says: Nov 26, 2011 2:22 PM

Apologize? Why? Suh gave Dietrich-Smith his 15 minutes.

186. adirtyplayernamedsue says: Nov 26, 2011 2:57 PM

And if they actually meant any of that they would have for one, signed the letter, and for two would have handed him a few game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team. In doing neither, they are condoning his actions. Now everybody knows the “Dirty play” is encouraged from the top on down to little schwantzy.

187. mineallmine001 says: Nov 26, 2011 5:39 PM

suzieQQ

188. footballpats says: Nov 26, 2011 7:38 PM

I knew the minute the flags came out and the commentators spewed on it adnausam this would be beaten into our heads all week. I am not a lion fan. However it was the first interesting lion game on thanksgiving in years. So I watched it. Why is Dietrich-Smith NOT apologizing for his dirty play from the ground? I saw this play live and then over and over. Suh pushed his head down because he was being grabbed and pulled. He yanked his foot away and stomped it. I can not say he was trying to do anything other then gain his leg back? Why are you all falling for this media bs? Did you see the game????? The play???? I understand he has done things this past season..but this play is a NON-ISSUE!!! Nothing! Lions, Suh, and anyone else need not aplogize for this play. BUT Dietrich-Smith needs to say something. And what about the Packer Player that got kicked it.

189. packerbacker12 says: Nov 26, 2011 11:55 PM

“where are Smith’s team mates? How do you let your boy get his head smashed into the ground and stomped on yet no one steps up and pulls the guy off him? ”

Don’t give me this crap. If you even bothered watching the game, you would know that one of his temmates tried pulling Suh off. Then another came running over and gave Suh a nice little shove.

It’s probably a good idea to actually watch the game instead of playing it out in your head.

190. darth71 says: Nov 27, 2011 9:52 PM

Suh apology accepted just like we accepted Bobby Knights MANY over the years .

He slams his fist into the scorer’s table during a 1987 NCAA Tournament game vs. LSU and is fined $10,000 by the NCAA. In a 1988 national TV interview, Knight says, “If rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it.” He later claims the quote is taken out of context. In 1992, he gives a mock whipping to Calbert Cheaney, an African-American, during practice at the NCAA West Regional in Albuquerque. Knight later apologizes for the racial connotations to the incident. He head butts Sherron Wilkerson while screaming at him on the bench in 1994, later saying it was unintentional. Then, in 2000, a videotape is released showing Knight choking one of his former players, Neil Reed, in a ’97 practice.

191. darth71 says: Nov 27, 2011 10:00 PM

$40 million guaranteed contract. Suh aint worried about a 2 game ban

192. kappy32 says: Nov 28, 2011 4:19 AM

In the short time he’s been in this league, Suh has become the dirtiest player in the game. It’s a partial shame because he is an absolute force at DT. When he was in college, I never saw a player dominate as much as he did. On any given play, he would have 3 guys trying to block him & he’d still stuff the play 4 yards behind the line. He hasn’t reached that level in the NFL just yet, but it seems like each week he gets better (No, I’m not a Lions fan). Unfortunately for him, his actions will overshadow his play on the field unless he does a complete about-face.

A couple months back, PFT posted a link to a female Detroit sportswriter who wrote an article stating that the drafting of Suh was a better pick than Barry Sanders. I laughed my a$$ off then about it then & it was just another broad “sportswriter” caught up in the Lions undefeated hype, trying her darndest to make people think she had an idea of what she was talking about. Needless to say, that was a terrible joke of an article & I wonder how she’s feeling about now. I’m sure she’s pretending to be a sportswriter again, writing about how he is a dirty player & longing for the professionalism that Barry brought to Detroit. Sportswriters today, especially the female ones playing pretend, are an absolute joke.