Rex Ryan laughs off problems with his lap band

Getty Images

Jets coach Rex Ryan says any medical issues he’s had related to lap-band surgery are nothing to be concerned about.

The Denver Post is reporting that emergency personnel from the Denver Fire Department responded to a call at the Denver International Airport last week as the Jets’ team plane prepared to take off following the loss to the Broncos. The reason? Ryan was suffering from indigestion brought on by a postgame meal, which is common for people who have had lap-band surgery, as Ryan did in 2010.

However, Ryan said that although emergency personnel were called, he was fine.

“Sometimes with the lap band, you get indigestion,” Ryan told the Denver Post. “All along, I knew that was the case. However, our medical staff didn’t want to take any chances. Once I got to the airport, I felt better. It was no big deal. Believe me, the loss to the Broncos hurt a lot worse than this did.”

Ryan had the lap-band procedure to help him lose weight, although he has acknowledged that it hasn’t always curtailed his appetite. Asked by reporters on Friday about his Thanksgiving dinner, Ryan said he ate plenty.

“We had quite a few people over and had a good time,” Ryan said, in comments distributed by the Jets’ PR staff. “Whew, the lap band was in trouble. It got stretched out. I was stretching that bad boy out.”

70 responses to “Rex Ryan laughs off problems with his lap band

1. I hate the Jets and don’t like Rex, but at least he’s trying to do something about his problem with a full itenerary and a high stress job. Good luck, Rex.

2. Guess the horizontally challenged Rex Ryan won’t be staring in any commercials touting the effectiveness of the lap band surgery……

3. The so called “problem” from lap band surgery only happens when people overeat…. Sounds like Rex’a stomach can’t keep pace with his eyes or his mouth. What a buffoon!

4. Still had to eat after that display? I cried to sleep when Tebow scared Cro to hold the receiver instead of trying to stop TT.
    I bet all Rex thought about after the game was what was for dinner.

5. I hate lap band surgery for people too damn lazy to workout and no diet discipline. This procedure is wasted on Fat bastards like Rex, who have no discipline. Lazy Fat Toe Freak.

Jets suck….thumbs up.

6. An overweight person whose trying to lose weight…and half of you are gonna bash him.

Anyone who makes a fat joke is an awful person.

Good luck rex

7. I don’t understand having a coach who is living the credo, “Do as I say but not as I do.” How can you coach professionals to be in top form when you stand there with a physique [and an attitude] like that? The mixed message is right there in front of everyone in the Jets won/loss stats.

8. Hilarious! You’ve got to love this guy. There is nothing he can’t joke about. I really don’t think he spent much time worrying about foot-gate. That alone would have ruined most coaches. I’m not a Jet’s fan but I hope he gets to the Super Bowl one day.

9. EVERYONE READ THIS THEORY:

Raiders get royally screwed by officials each and every year. This, is nothing new. However, yesterday’s Raiders-Vikings game officials should’ve had ski-masks on for that stick-up job.

Could it be a coincidence that this blatant, ugly bias by the officials happens just when Tebowmania is taking off and the Denver Broncos all of a sudden have a chance in the division? Who doesn’t think the NFL would like to squeeze every last drop it can out of the Tebow publicity? Broncos making the playoffs would certainly extend that story.

Sadly, Raiders may have to overcome an 11-on-18 playing field each week from here on out or until someone puts Tebowmania out of its misery.
    JETS SUCK PATS SUCK CHIefs SUCKs DENVER Sucks

10. mh28102 says: Nov 26, 2011 3:21 PM

+++++++++++++++

Look man, Rex is around some of the most physically gifted athletes in the world. He has every single resource that you and I probably don’t have access to: top notch weight facilities, chefs cooking the foods that you eat, nutritionists, personal trainers, etc etc etc. If he wanted to lose weight he could. It’s just like NFL coaches preach to players…be disciplined. Sure lap band surgery is an option but he’s in position to do it the old fashioned way, through hard work and being conscious of what you are putting in your mouth…besides his own foot 😉

11. Wow isn’t it amazing how many absolutely perfect 100% healthy and totally in shape people there are to be here judging someone like Rex Ryan and wishing ill on him.. so classy, all of you! Especially duanethomas.. real class act you are. Let’s all hope something terrible happens to you, pal!

12. Ha, no discipline. That’s why he’s a NFL head coach and you’re probably sitting in your mom’s basement refreshing every minute to see how many thumbs up you get. The guy has access to top notch facilities & world class dietitians/nutritionists. I’m sure he does something. I’d be willing to bet you’re in worse shape than he is. I hate when comment space is wasted on clueless idiots who post unfounded remarks in an attempt to gain self gratification. Remember, it’s the internet. Your comments may get approval, but you’re probably still an asshat in person.

13. mh28102 says:
    Nov 26, 2011 3:21 PM

Anyone who makes a fat joke is an awful person.
    —————————————————————
    Yeah, except that he looks like he’s GAINED weight after getting that thing installed.

I’d say he’s due for a refund. That thing didn’t work.

14. Personally, I can’t believe he still had an appetite after watching that Debacle in Denver.

Should’ve turned his stomach.

15. When people make the commitment to lose weight, the first thing they learn is that there is a big difference between what your body requires and what your mouth thinks you need.

A lap band procedure, or total stomach removal will not work if you do not have the willpower to change your viewpoint, walk away from the desert table and feel good about it, really make a serious commitment to change yourself.
    Rex is simply a weak willed individual when it comes to the dinner table. He is not the only one, but if I could give one bit of advice to Rex I would tecommend having the lap band removed and put around his neck. That ought to work just fine. Then we can help him lose weight while he chokes. No more stupid predictions!!!

16. ud1hens says:
    Nov 26, 2011 3:46 PM

_________________________
    That is the truth. And even people who don’t have all those resources can do it on their own. I’ve seen very few people who had that surgery or gastric bypass get down to a normal weight because they keep their same bad eating and exercise habits that got them there in the first place. It’s a crutch.

There have been other head coaches who were sort of plump or heavy who did it on their own like Fox and Mangini so having that type of high stress workaholic type job isn’t as much of an excuse as people make it.

Now do I care that RR’s heavy? Nope, it’s his life and if he’s happy that way, fine. It isn’t my business unless I am paying his bills. He’s not hurting anyone but himself.

17. Amazing that a coach who demands fitness and hard work from his players had to have a possibly life threatening surgery because he doesn’t have the self control to not eat himself to death…

18. It’s not like Rex is a wide receiver, or even a football player. He’s a COACH. He’s not getting exercise on the field like those guys are, and I GUARANTEE you his job takes up more of his time than any of his players.

19. bignugs: “you’re probably sitting in your mom’s basement”

Actually…early 20s, graduated from a great university, haven’t lived at home since I was 17, both parents weren’t rich so I busted my butt to pay for college myself working while attending school, purchased a house in a nice area at 23, was offered and accepted a job that I love before I even graduated college, happily married, etc etc etc.

Sure, I’d love to be a head coach…what I meant by lack of discipline I meant food wise. He obviously has his stuff together or he wouldn’t be where we is now.

20. @ aldo5408;
    LOL…Man what a whine-ass you are …get over it! Take off the huggies and grow a pair!

21. Statistically speaking, most of the people making fat jokes are themselves obese.

I hate Rex as much as the next guy, but he’s doing something about his weight. He has a high stress, long hour type of job.

Also, do some reading on the procedure before commenting. Oh wait, it’s the Internet so every scumbag freckle faced loser can post whatever verbal diarrhea comes to mind without fear of repercussion.

22. at the end of the day, healthy body weight is about eating right sized meals…. cut down the calories going in your mouth low enough… you lose weight… end of story.

Rex decided he wasn’t psychologically capable of disciplining himself on meal size so he had a surgery with significant risks to fool his body into thinking it’s full on small meals….

Now, he’s still psychologically unable to keep his meal size down even when it makes him physically ill to the point 911 gets called….

if he’s going to ignore the medical rules on this, his risk of a life threatening event goes sky high… so I hope he gets the guy in the mirror under control soon… good luck Rex.

for everyone else… here’s the cautionary tale… avoid risky surgery by just disciplining yourself to put half the food on the plate and being happy with that….

23. Never heard of someone getting the surgery, and chosing to stay fat. An surgery is dangerous and who gets a procedure like that and then continues to eat too much? C’mon man!

24. Rex had lap band? Did he use Charlie Weis’s doctor??? Holy smokes I was just thinking the other day that he looks like he’s gotten heavier lately. I had no idea he had a lap band procedure

25. For people Rex’s size, it’s usually about more than lack of discipline. The chemical compounds in certain foods are just as addictive as those in alcohol and drugs. It’s called “comfort food” for a reason. And you can’t cure addiction with surgery.

26. canetic says:
    Nov 26, 2011 3:11 PM
    Those losses are tough to swallow

==================================

Bawahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Good one !

Goes right along with this one-
    Good one again guys, keep up the good work.
    ==================================
    easyeddie says:
    Nov 26, 2011 3:45 PM
    What Rex really needs is a mouth band.

27. I don’t think that lap band thing stands a chance. With the massive volumes of food, hot air and gas flowing through Rexy it’s like trying to route a tsunami through a funnel. I think Rexy is gonna blow the lap band out in a big way and when that thing lets go its gonna knock the earth right off its axis.

28. The band should have been placed around his head and overlapped his mouth or he should have had his jaw wired shut.
    The problem is not with the stomach but with the mouth – the tongue specifically.

29. He had surgery? (sarcasm only, I know he did)

That picture is evidence to the contrary. Who is going to give birth first, Rob or Rex?

30. Well, it is getting close to Christmas time, so Rex can be fat and unjolly in the spirit of the season.

“Strike up the lap band, it’s time for a lap dance. Ho, ho, ho…..,ho’s!”.

31. “caseyanthonymunoz says:
    Nov 26, 2011 5:52 PM
    Two things Rex will never have:
    1. Super Bowl ring
    2. Anorexia”

Rex Ryan has a Super Bowl ring from 2000.

Things caseyanthonymunoz will never have:

1. A rational thought.
    2. Smarts
    3. A job as good as Rex Ryan’s

32. Wow. There’s some pretty judgmental people here tonight. After breaking my back and my neck I was bed-ridden for over a year and put on 200 pounds. I guess I was just “too lazy” to work out.

When I was up and about again, I lost 100 pounds of it, and was steadily losing until the night a drunk-driver took my right leg off at the knee (I was on my Harley).

The leg was reattached, but it took 6 surgeries and enough metal to build a bridge. I gained that 100 pounds back plus another 100. I was at 500 pounds and just couldn’t take it off anymore. Too far gone. Waiting to die.

I had gastric bypass surgery, and am now at 260 pounds. They say the “extra skin” that’s about to be cut off will be 40 to 60 pounds. The love of a good woman and a skilled surgeon gave me back my life.

The surgery is no magic pill. Well, it is for usually about 100 pounds worth. During that time, though, one must learn new habits or they WILL fail. They’ll stop losing, possibly gain the weight back, or even end up heavier than when they started.

You can think it’s “the easy way out” all you like. It still isn’t easy. Ya gotta do the work. I did the work and still do. I feel great. Way too good to let the judgmental asshats among you get me down.

Rock on, Rex; I wish you nothing but the best of luck. Do the work… it’s worth it.

33. Orangeflh, you deserve a lot of credit for what you have done given where you were at a point in your life, but the point remains Sexy Rexy is doing less with far more than you were given. He hasn’t been burdened by some tragedy. His issues are his own.

Given how much he craves attention, his sexual fetishes and his overeating it is quite apparent he has narcisstic and compulsive disorders of some kind. To some Rex is just some wise crackin’, fun lovin’, shoot from the hip dude. To me, he is a walking time bomb of a psychological mess, prime for an early death. His head ain’t on straight and the guy has demons. Almost all of his life choices show a stunning lack of discipline. Sad and pathetic at the same time.

34. Rex Ryan is a fat sack of crap, but I still wish him the very best with his weight issue. If his lap-band surgery works, then he’ll be a skinny sack of crap.

35. orangeflh says: Nov 26, 2011 7:38 PM

===============================
    I doubt that any of that happened to Rex since his twin brother is also a tub of goo.
    It looks like they just like to stuff their faces to me.

36. I don’t know, I’m not very active at all and I only weigh 140. It seems strange to think a person can gain 100 lbs by simply being bedridden. That takes a lot of eating.

The thing is, you don’t even need to exercise (I don’t) to keep weight off. I went from 155 to 150 by simply not drinking soda. I lost another 10 lbs by not eating to the point where I was stuffed and changing my diet slightly. If you eat whole grains, they fill you up faster than refined grains and you end up eating less. It’s not rocket science, but it takes a smidgen of willpower and the willingness to actually look at what you’re eating. (Oh yeah, and eliminating alcohol will definitely help, although I still drink.) I eat as much as I want and I don’t gain any weight.

Granted, genetics definitely plays a factor. Some people won’t be able to lose weight without exercise. But I’m willing to bet that most people’s problems stem from eating junk. That, and when people have major accidents happen to them, they tend to get depressed, which tends to cause overeating.

Eat whole-grain wheat bread instead of white. Eat fruit instead of sweets (fruit is plenty sweet, by the way). Drink juice instead of soda (I actually water it down with half water because juice always tastes too sweet, although most of the time I just drink water). Don’t eat stuff with high-fructose corn syrup in it. Stop eating junk food when you want to snack (eat a granola bar or some more fruits and veggies). Eat 5 smaller meals instead of 3 big meals and stop eating once you start to feel full. You’ll lose weight in no time. You don’t even need to count calories. I don’t. Eat right and you’ll end up eating only as much as you need to anyway.

37. I have to amend my previous comment. I’m probably more active than I realize. Not moving around at ALL for over a year probably would add a significant amount of weight. I can’t really say for sure because I’m lucky enough not to have been in that situation. I’m not trying to judge anyone, stuff happens. To orangeflh in particular, I hope everything works out for you.

38. There’s a simpler way to lose weight: EAT LESS. Fat is caused by eating more calories than you burn off. It’s just pure arithmetic. If you want to lose weight, EAT LESS. If you cannot eat less, then you have a food addiction problem.