Jake Delhomme, Jeff Garcia to work out for Texans

Jake Delhomme AP

The Texans want to kick Jeff Garcia’s tires for a second straight week, but they are looking at other alternatives to sign to their roster.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that Garcia and Jake Delhomme will both work out for the Texans on Tuesday. McCLain says that one of them should sign.

The plan is to start rookie T.J. Yates, with either Garcia or Delhomme competing with Kellen Clemens to be the backup.

There was talk in Houston Monday that the team may sign Sage Rosenfels if he was released by the Dolphins. That doesn’t appear likely to happen now, based on McClain’s report.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Jake Delhomme, Jeff Garcia to work out for Texans”
  1. geniusfan says: Nov 28, 2011 9:59 PM

Jake Delhomme? Man Houston is really scraping the very bottom of the barrel here huh?

They’d be better off giving Foster and Tate the ball every play then letting the man who had the worst playoff performance ever drive this team into the ground.

2. maxvv says: Nov 28, 2011 10:01 PM

Chad Pennington!!

3. vysethelegend says: Nov 28, 2011 10:02 PM

Sign Jeff!

4. sportsfan11 says: Nov 28, 2011 10:06 PM

Just about every quarterback in the nfl has more skill than Matt leinart

5. channingtaintum says: Nov 28, 2011 10:07 PM

Jeff George wants to know how thick the playbook is.

6. angelosdraftboard says: Nov 28, 2011 10:07 PM

As a Bears fan I feel your pain Texans. The good news is Texans have great weapons on offense to hekp whoever the QB ends up being.

7. fumblenuts says: Nov 28, 2011 10:09 PM

Jake Delhomme???

Just say NO!

8. firethorn1001 says: Nov 28, 2011 10:10 PM

Delhomme? Garcia?

Egads… If you are doing that you at least give a call to Favre. As a franchise looking to make the playoffs for the first time… you have to kick the tires. You may not want the drama, but sorry not calling Favre is going to give you the drama also.

(And this is coming from someone that wishes Favre would just move to Siberia…)

9. swolfdab says: Nov 28, 2011 10:11 PM

There’s a man on the free agent market that goes by the name “David Garrard…” Anybody ever heard of him?

10. thesmartest1 says: Nov 28, 2011 10:12 PM

Garcia wins that one….

11. trbowman says: Nov 28, 2011 10:13 PM

Cul-Pep-Er! Cul-Pep-Er! Cul-Pep-Er! Cul-Pep-Er! Cul-Pep-Er!

12. nflfollower says: Nov 28, 2011 10:13 PM

These guys still work out?

13. spytdi says: Nov 28, 2011 10:16 PM

Garcia could run circles around Eli Mannings real father (Jake). That little bit of spit that gathers at the corner of their mouth slows them down every time.

14. texanfan59 says: Nov 28, 2011 10:17 PM

Garcia for sure. I wanted to sign him when Schaub went down. He Knows the system and doesn’t turn the ball over. Let’s not forget, if TJ Yates can win games, it’s irrelevant. It’s his job to lose according to Kubiak.

15. goawayeverybody says: Nov 28, 2011 10:19 PM

Um that’s really interesting but where is the story about the Saints/Giants game? Don’t you care about Monday Night Football?

16. panthers34 says: Nov 28, 2011 10:19 PM

Same scenario Jake had in Carolina. Hand off and occasionally find the big time receiver for the huge play.

17. tfbuckfutter says: Nov 28, 2011 10:19 PM

PFT Rumor Mill: Why aren’t the Texans considering bringing in Joe Kapp?

It wasn’t that long ago he had one really good season for the Vikings, and as he demonstrated recently, he still has the fire of a competitive hungry quarterback.

It is ridiculous that lesser QBs get a look while a former Viking great like Joe Kapp sits home waiting for a call.

18. tebowspeech says: Nov 28, 2011 10:22 PM

I’d take a 55 year old Warren Moon over Garcia/Delhomme.

19. dalucks says: Nov 28, 2011 10:22 PM

Brett Farve is the one guy who I definitely do not want in Houston but there is a #2 and that position is held by Jake Delhomme. I guess I am hoping for Jeff Garcia, Duante Culpepper, or Chase Clement. I am confident in TJ Yates as the starter for the rest of the season and into the playoffs.

20. nflfollower says: Nov 28, 2011 10:35 PM

goawayeverybody says:
    Nov 28, 2011 10:19 PM

–You can always watch the game for yourself. I don’t need a PFT article to tell me what happened in the first half of the monday night game. Honestly people, settle down.

21. atmedic8daily says: Nov 28, 2011 10:41 PM

C-Pep is waiting on the phone to ring, Brees is on MNF. Nice work Miami.

22. thejuddstir says: Nov 28, 2011 10:46 PM

swolfdab says:
    Nov 28, 2011 10:11 PM

…………………………………I think Garrard had back surgery when he was released by the Jags…and then turned around and is trying to sue them, LOL

23. mmmpierogi says: Nov 28, 2011 10:51 PM

41…42…43…Bernie Kosar

24. willmayeshayes says: Nov 28, 2011 10:51 PM

@dalucks

Bet you never thought you would say TJ Yates and confidence in the same sentence. Pretty sure #4 would be a much better option. #notabrettfavrefan

25. gmacc85 says: Nov 28, 2011 10:55 PM

@swolfdab: David Garrard is not available. He just had back surgery. I say Chad Penn. Or Marc Bulger.

26. jackblackshairyback says: Nov 28, 2011 10:57 PM

Tiki Barber is flabbergasted.

27. drumzan says: Nov 28, 2011 11:21 PM

Cleo Lemon!!!

28. howiehandles says: Nov 28, 2011 11:28 PM

I wish the Bear’s would have scraped that barrel a bit more as well, as I don’t believe McCown to be the best option. Cutler isn’t coming back, even if they make the playoffs, and Hanie still hasn’t done anything to inspire any confidence in me.

29. mailman2504 says: Nov 28, 2011 11:32 PM

A source close to the situation said Ryan Leaf worked out in Houston Monday morning. As the conditional terms read Ryan will be paid in “vidodin, oxycontin, and morphine drips.”

30. whitemike55 says: Nov 28, 2011 11:37 PM

As a Diehard Texans fan, give me Garcia. I’v never liked Delhomme. All he does is throw picks and whines all the time.

I think Yates will be alright. He ran a very similar system at north Carolina. Do I think he can win us a Superbowl? No. But with great weapons like Foster, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, and the #1 defense he can get us in the playoffs.

If the Texans can secure homefield advantage, we got a real shot. Reliant will be rockin!!!

Interesting to see what happens Sunday!

31. sophiethegreatdane says: Nov 28, 2011 11:46 PM

swolfdab says:
    Nov 28, 2011 10:11 PM

——————————

Back surgery.

32. whoknowsnothing says: Nov 28, 2011 11:52 PM

Delhomme, Garcia, but no Daunte? C’mon Man!

33. jetsfaninnewengland says: Nov 29, 2011 12:02 AM

I wonder if Vinny Testaverde is available…

34. icancountcanyou says: Nov 29, 2011 12:10 AM

Am I the only one that wants to see Garcia back in the NFL before Owens? Not because I think he is good, don’t get me wrong. Poetic justice while I enjoy my popcorn is all.

35. frenzy95 says: Nov 29, 2011 12:18 AM

Why not Marc Bulger, Chad Pennington, Trent Edwards?

They aren’t great, but they are better than Garcia and Delhomme.

36. raiderspride says: Nov 29, 2011 12:42 AM

I sincerely feel bad for Texan Fans and the Texan players. This is bad luck in spades.

Their fans deserve more, the players deserve more. I guess the only thing that one can look at as a positive is… “What does not kill you, makes you stronger.”

Good luck Houston. Keep your chin up!

37. txtuff says: Nov 29, 2011 1:10 AM

News flash, David Garrard is available to play. According to the local sports channel here David Garrard’s people called Miami last week to let them know he can play now and he was interested in playing there. But I still don’t want him.

And Favre, hell no. The last thing the Texans need is a QB that thinks he can win a game all by himself. They do not need a gun slinger to screw this team up!!

T J Yates is the starting, only reason they are signing anybody is for a backup spot. Today on his coach’s show Gary Kubiak stated when asked if whoever they sign will compete for the starting spot “T J is our starter, I like T J, he deserves to start, and he needs are the reps with the starting team, we can not afford to give those reps to anybody else”.

38. dgstan says: Nov 29, 2011 1:19 AM

All Texans – All the time (At least since MF’s beloved Chargers have been playing up to Norv’s expectations).

Apparently, the Texans could prop Trent Dilfer up behind center and waltz right into the Superbowl. Of course, we have to assume they don’t bump into the Raiders somewhere along the way. Or the Pats, Ravens, or Steelers.

39. jeffro33 says: Nov 29, 2011 1:45 AM

I thought Yates looked good and came in firing, a great sign for a rookie….

All the aforementioned QBs are jobless for a reason…

40. huthuthut says: Nov 29, 2011 2:14 AM

David Garrard.

Calling it now.

41. zaktmt says: Nov 29, 2011 2:30 AM

Delhomme would be interesting because he’s played poorly the past 2 years, but he may still have it in him to throw the ball behind a good offensive line.

Garcia hasn’t played an actual NFL game in years. I would avoid him.

Culpepper deserves a shot from a team. I just don’t know if it’ll be the Texans. He too has been away from the NFL for a little while now. And his play in the UFL wasn’t impressive in the slightest.

If they could get Bulger to unretire, there would be issues with him because he’s been injury-prone his whole career.

I’d stick with Yates and see how he does this week. If he plays poorly than you can look at some these options. But if he plays well, than you have a temporary guy to make a post-season run with.

42. brutus3413 says: Nov 29, 2011 2:45 AM

Spurgeon Wynn. The name says it all!

43. MGN says: Nov 29, 2011 3:02 AM

I hear Jamarcus Russel is available! (JK)

44. bobdawg602 says: Nov 29, 2011 4:54 AM

Steve Young and his big mouth/head… I’m sure he feels like he could still pull it off, let him! I would love nothing more than to watch that guy get ran over!! lol

45. iclubseals says: Nov 29, 2011 6:02 AM

I hear Joe Namath is still alive…

46. tombrookshire says: Nov 29, 2011 7:04 AM

If you are going to bring in these guys, why not Favre? I’m certain all the will he/won’t he retire drama is in the rearview by now. No one has any illusions that Favre is still the man, but he could save the Texans’ fragile season and Kubiak’s job for at least for one more campaign.

47. purnellmeagrejr says: Nov 29, 2011 7:07 AM

I’ve been tossing the ball around with my teenage age and plan on spending the month of January in Jamaica so if Houston doesn’t mind me skipping out I’d be quarterback for them in December

48. bubbajon46 says: Nov 29, 2011 7:11 AM

I wonder why McNabb hasn’t asked for a release so he could try to suck on a third team in three years???

49. billybats says: Nov 29, 2011 8:06 AM

How can people be talking up Jake Delhomme when Elvis Grbac is sitting at home by the phone? Come on, man!

50. chief4ever says: Nov 29, 2011 8:28 AM

They should go after Brodie Croyle. lol. I wouldn’t wish him on anyone.

51. unlost1 says: Nov 29, 2011 9:33 AM

There is only 1 man that could get the job done right and his name is Kurt Warner.

52. rdawg911 says: Nov 29, 2011 9:47 AM

Everyone seems to be laughing at Favre, but besides the obvious fact that he is a God and the circus would be coming to town, he is still better than Delhomme, Croyle, Bulger, and whoever else COMBINED. If you are telling me he can’t come in and hand the ball off to Foster/Tate 30 times a game, and make a couple throws to a stacked wide receiving corp, you are wrong. Texans have a legit shot to win it all with their D….BRING IN BRETT FAVRE

53. raiderstotheship says: Nov 29, 2011 9:57 AM

Give jamarcus a call!! He might not answer though, he had a rough cough and is passed out on that purple drank!

54. bunjy96 says: Nov 29, 2011 10:35 AM

No to Garcia!

55. cc4tnr says: Nov 29, 2011 11:19 AM

Forget Favre/Delhoumme/Garcia or any other retread out there. . . Warner is the only call I would make – He’s a proven winner and as long as his arm strength is still there he has all the intangibles to win now – Playoff proven – SB Champ – Heck he may even prove to be a better fit than Schaub was for the stretch run and through the playoffs . . . Could you imagine Warner coming back winning a SB and Favre sitting at home watching…HA !

56. kmfl1 says: Nov 29, 2011 11:43 AM

Delhomme would have to improve to stink.

57. pigskinswag says: Nov 29, 2011 1:02 PM

The Texans would be better off with Yates/Clemens than bringing in Jake “Captain Turnover” Delhomme. And Garcia is like 74 years old.

58. legacybroken says: Nov 29, 2011 4:31 PM

They need Shane Falco

59. canalzonebaby says: Dec 5, 2011 12:20 AM

Give Yates a chance. He was drafted to play ball. Let him play. All this arguing about old men and wash outs is insulting to the game. They’re done. Give the kid a chance.