Antrel Rolle: Giants “absolutely” will make the playoffs

Philadelphia Eagles' Maclin scores a touchdown after a catch late in the fourth quarter of their NFL football game against the New York Giants in New Jersey Reuters

Monday night’s ugly loss to the Saints hasn’t diminished the confidence of Giants safety Antrel Rolle.

Asked on WFAN whether the Giants will make the playoffs, Rolle said he has no doubt that they will.

Absolutely. Absolutely,” Rolle said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “Let me tell you something, man — we’re going to fight. I don’t care how we fight, I don’t care what corner we’re going to back ourselves up to, and you know what, everyone might be off the Giants bandwagon which is fine, which is fine. We’ve only had us anyways and only need us to get to where we need to get to. If the fans want to be there, then be there. We would love to have you, we’ll be happy you’re there and appreciate you. But if you’re not there, if you jump off the bandwagon, that’s fine too. We’re going to play ball regardless. We’re professional football players and we’re the New York Football Giants. We are not going to go out without a fight at the end of the day. We’re going to fight and that’s it.”

Rolle’s attitude of fighting until the end is obviously the right one, and the only one an NFL player can have. In some ways it’s reminiscent of the boldness that former Giants coach Jim Fassel showed in 2000, and that worked out well.

But the reality is that the Giants are now a game behind the Cowboys in the NFC East, and a game behind the Bears, Falcons and Lions in the NFC wild card race. And looking at the Giants’ remaining schedule, which features four more games against teams with winning records, it’s going to be tough for the Giants to make up ground.

The best news for the Giants is that they still get the Cowboys twice. Sweep those games, and Rolle is absolutely right. But lose to the Cowboys, and they’re absolutely done.

Permalink 67 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
67 Responses to “Antrel Rolle: Giants “absolutely” will make the playoffs”
  1. shaggytoodle says: Nov 30, 2011 3:36 PM

This is great New York needs a team that does a lot of talking.

2. jakek2 says: Nov 30, 2011 3:37 PM

I’d feel more confident as a Giants’ fan if Eli made the statement instead of all-talk, no-walk Rolle.

3. citizenstrange says: Nov 30, 2011 3:41 PM

A smart, enterprising sushi restaurant in Manhattan would feature an Antrel Rolle.

4. marionbarber24isgod says: Nov 30, 2011 3:41 PM

Lot of good teams in the wild card race that are ahead of the Giants right now, because the Cowboys have the division secured.

5. supafinger says: Nov 30, 2011 3:42 PM

I find it hard to believe Antrel Rolle is opening his mouth to say something stupid.

6. david7590 says: Nov 30, 2011 3:43 PM

Hahahahaha, what a joke.

7. mrf47 says: Nov 30, 2011 3:44 PM

Tiki will be flabergasted when he reads this.

8. snarkzilla says: Nov 30, 2011 3:45 PM

I’m reasonably certain the Packers don’t have a need for more bulletin board material. When it rains, it pours.

9. powderedme says: Nov 30, 2011 3:45 PM

Then Antrel Rolle and company “absolutely” need to stop missing assignments.

10. mynameiscoopermanning says: Nov 30, 2011 3:45 PM

What do you expect him to say?

11. vegaskid21 says: Nov 30, 2011 3:46 PM

Honestly, What else is he suppose to say when asked that question on the radio? “Umm no I don’t think we are going to the playoffs.” If you asked that stupid question to the Colts or Rams coach they would probably say their respective teams are playoff bound.

12. boswivel says: Nov 30, 2011 3:46 PM

B) Absolutely done

13. emoney826 says: Nov 30, 2011 3:47 PM

He also said that the Giants would beat the packers last year to get into the playoffs. How did that work out for them?

14. shootahcowboy says: Nov 30, 2011 3:47 PM

Don’t they still drug test in the NFL?

15. dallassux says: Nov 30, 2011 3:49 PM

Nohopeleft

16. goawayeverybody says: Nov 30, 2011 3:49 PM

The missing word from that sentence is “NOT.”

17. bw115 says: Nov 30, 2011 3:50 PM

Rolle please stop stealing Tiki Barbers spot light

18. ny82jy says: Nov 30, 2011 3:51 PM

Absolutley Crazy! On a side note listen to his interviews on wfan and count how many times he says “at the end of the day”. Its hysterical every other word.

19. rayvens says: Nov 30, 2011 3:51 PM

Does he mean this yr…or in general??

20. nfloracle says: Nov 30, 2011 3:52 PM

Right, Rolle… and pigs can fly, too.

21. stampede101 says: Nov 30, 2011 3:52 PM

I’m glad he made the distinction “New York Football Giants”…becuase I always get them confused with the 53 years-removed New York Baseball Giants.

22. dgforreal says: Nov 30, 2011 3:53 PM

What is he supposed to say?

23. redbullenergydrink says: Nov 30, 2011 3:53 PM

Glad to see he’s still motivated. Looking forward to the GIANTS-COWBOYS matchup!

24. ny82jy says: Nov 30, 2011 3:55 PM

Whats funny though is if you listen to Rolles wfan interview and Tucks interview they are complete opposites. Rolle is all fired up and Tuck sounds like hes given up and is about to cry. I actually like Rolle alot i think hes a good tough solid player but if you listen to what he says he doesnt feel that way about the rest of his team.

25. thridandlong says: Nov 30, 2011 3:55 PM

Rolle-ingOTFLMAO !

26. dalyman3 says: Nov 30, 2011 3:56 PM

IF Tom Coughlin rallies his team and makes the playoffs I will give all the props in the world. As long as it isn’t the Jets

27. sportsfan11 says: Nov 30, 2011 3:57 PM

If Rolle says it, it must be true!

28. baldingerspinky says: Nov 30, 2011 3:57 PM

They’ll be in the playoffs just not this year

29. greymares says: Nov 30, 2011 3:58 PM

This year the 2011 season lol. the only competition is with the Eagles over the highest draft pick.

30. bhindenemylines says: Nov 30, 2011 3:59 PM

Somebody please let me know where Rolle went to college so I make sure my kids don’t go there.

31. jetsuperbowl says: Nov 30, 2011 3:59 PM

This guy belongs on jets! Lol

32. jackfnburton says: Nov 30, 2011 4:00 PM

For $39.95 Antrel Rolle will predict your future incorrectly, too.

33. cowboynation919 says: Nov 30, 2011 4:00 PM

Cowboy’s have: Cardinals, Giants, Bucs, Eagles, and Giants

Giants have : Packers, Dallas, Washington, Jets, Dallas

I would say Cowboys have the easier schedule heading into the season end.

I can’t say I guarantee Dallas will win the division but it will be close between the two.

Go Cowboys!

34. meangreen2 says: Nov 30, 2011 4:03 PM

I highly doubt it at this point. This team is not than good. The only thing they are going to make is making sure Tom Coughlin is fired at the end of the season. Maybe next year? But I doubt that too.

35. bigbluelou says: Nov 30, 2011 4:05 PM

Oy Vey! Has Rolle even been on the field this year?

36. peytonwantsaflag says: Nov 30, 2011 4:06 PM

well Paul Aufiero will be glad to hear that

37. lxmas says: Nov 30, 2011 4:11 PM

At the end of the day, these guys who make guarantees that nobody cares about and will forget about tomorrow absolutely flabbergast me.

38. tombradyallday says: Nov 30, 2011 4:13 PM

forget the playoffs for now . u better try and contain those packer wide receivers this week

39. ham1 says: Nov 30, 2011 4:22 PM

No Bradshaw last week shows how much the giants need him to rally
    made it quite obvious that he is a big part of stabelizing that team

40. voiceofrealism says: Nov 30, 2011 4:22 PM

You didn’t expect him to just Antrel Rollover, did you?

41. gritsmaker says: Nov 30, 2011 4:22 PM

reese please only bring in free agents who do more playing and less talking.

i get so tired of seeing giant defenders trailing receivers that i assume when the ball is released that its going to be a completion.

26 is a clown!

42. finley88thebeast says: Nov 30, 2011 4:24 PM

listen I’m a packer fan and I respect the giants and most if there players nor including rolle. This guy needs to keep his mouth shut in all the years I’ve watched football and heard this guy talk, I don’t think I’ve ever heard him predict something correctly what a clown…Go packers

43. alldayvikings says: Nov 30, 2011 4:31 PM

Didn’t he say he will stop Wes Welker?

44. tuckyous says: Nov 30, 2011 4:35 PM

I love my Giants, but at this point its pretty clear how the rest of the season is going to go, and it’s not in the playoffs. This team needs a shake up on the coaching staff, and the predicted second half implosion = new coaching staff and higher draft picks. The talent is there and Reese is still one of the best, but with injuries and poor coaching, this isn’t a playoff worthy squad. Get the young’ns some experience so they can contribute next year.

45. joecb91 says: Nov 30, 2011 4:38 PM

Rolle has to keep flapping his gums as an attempt to justify how overpaid/overrated he is.

46. RomosRibs says: Nov 30, 2011 4:40 PM

MDS said if the Gs beat the Cowboys twice, the Gs ABSOLUTELY WILL be in the playoffs.”

Not so fast, Dallas wins the other 3 while Gs lose their 3 and NO EFFIN WAY the Gs are in.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but I dont think so.

47. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 30, 2011 4:51 PM

He’s swagged out, so what!

48. jakek2 says: Nov 30, 2011 4:54 PM

All this Giants’ turmoil equals a sure upset win this weekend.

49. andyreidcarboload says: Nov 30, 2011 4:58 PM

peytonwantsaflag says: Nov 30, 2011 4:06 PM

well Paul Aufiero will be glad to hear that
    —————————————————————–
    Just wanted to give you additional props for the “Big Fan” reference.

50. marcuswelby70 says: Nov 30, 2011 5:01 PM

cowboynation919 says:
    Nov 30, 2011 4:00 PM
    Cowboy’s have: Cardinals, Giants, Bucs, Eagles, and Giants

Giants have : Packers, Dallas, Washington, Jets, Dallas

I would say Cowboys have the easier schedule heading into the season end.

Go Cowboys!
    —————————————–
    Can see the ‘Boys going 4-1 splitting with the Giants, and Giants going 2-3 beating Skins and ‘Boys
    Giants are toast.

51. manofsteel22 says: Nov 30, 2011 5:05 PM

Hey if we don’t get our Fb Fiametta back and get our running game back on track with demarco they could very well sweep us .

52. medialovesthecowboys says: Nov 30, 2011 5:17 PM

I’m a Cowboys fan. And I have to say considering the flakiness of both teams, it is a possibility. Plus, I don’t like Rolle, he opens his mouth way too much. BUT, what is he supposed to say? “No we’re just going to lay down and die”. Most of you love the “Never say die” attitude until it applies to a seemingly no-win situation. Good on Rolle for keeping confident, even if personally I hope he’s dead wrong.

53. fmwarner says: Nov 30, 2011 5:28 PM

I’d like to see what Jim Mora has to say when he reads this.

54. fissels says: Nov 30, 2011 5:33 PM

Doesn’t matter who gets in. It’s gonna be the Pack vs Saints for the NFC championship

55. sdffa11 says: Nov 30, 2011 5:40 PM

this idiot needs to shut up and play. he sucks and he always talking like hes a pro bowler. why are journalists even interviewing his scrub ass?

rolle is too busy talking that he prob doesn’t realize he’s playing against a-rod and the undefeated packers this weekend.

56. gcsuk says: Nov 30, 2011 5:40 PM

snarkzilla says: Nov 30, 2011 3:45 PM

———————————————————————-
    So, how is not mentioning the Packers once, except to say how good of a team they are and how great Rodgers is playing (if you read the whole interview), “more bulletin board material”?

57. gcsuk says: Nov 30, 2011 5:44 PM

RomosRibs says: Nov 30, 2011 4:40 PM

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but I dont think so.
    ————————————————————————
    I believe you are correct. Giants would need to sweep their final 5 to be GUARANTEED a spot. They can lose ANY of the remaining games, but then would be relying on Dallas losing moreto make the playoffs.

58. mbuda732 says: Nov 30, 2011 5:48 PM

Last year before the same game against the packers he GUARANTEED victory and we got absolutely blown out. I give this comment about as much creedence as I gave his guarantee last year.

59. theprofesser says: Nov 30, 2011 5:53 PM

What is he supposed to say? With there schedule I don’t see it but they do have the Cowboys number. This Sunday against GB might be more of the same barring a major upset.

60. infectorman says: Nov 30, 2011 5:59 PM

where was this “fight” after the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th TD’s was put up on them by the Robo- Offense of Nawlins?

61. dburgoyne says: Nov 30, 2011 6:01 PM

Rolle out the barrel….your playoff dream ends this Sunday against the Packers.

62. dlmcc1010 says: Nov 30, 2011 6:29 PM

I dont know why people are killing him for it. If you’re asked whether you think your team will make the playoffs, what kind of moron is going to say “nah I dont think we have the talent to get it done”

He would get crucified in the locker room and probably benched by his coach. You cant win either way with the media

63. abninf says: Nov 30, 2011 6:58 PM

theprofesser says: Nov 30, 2011 5:53 PM

—————————————————

The have the Cowboys number? They split wins last season. And Dallas is a better team than last season and the Giants are worse. If you want to go back to 2007 I believe they are 50-50. Not sure where everyone is getting this “Giants have Dallas’s number” from.

64. vincentbojackson says: Nov 30, 2011 8:22 PM

Never seen a bigger bunch of quitters than the Giants defensive unit on Monday night. That was the most gutless performance I can remember watching in years. Watch the second half, the Giants front four weren’t even coming off the ball at the snap. They obviously just wanted to go home.

65. baldingerspinky says: Nov 30, 2011 9:10 PM

Eagles win out, giants and cowgirls split and Tampa knocks off Dallas. Three way tie.

66. MadDog Rickles says: Dec 1, 2011 1:36 AM

“absolutely” DELUSIONAL!!!

67. bigbluelou says: Dec 1, 2011 11:12 AM

The Giants are not going anywhere this year again. With exception of the 2007, this team has missed or been one and done in the playoffs. I like TC but it is time for a change and this scene has been played out too much. Start 6-2 and collapse. I’m sorry. Need a fresh start.