Erik Walden apologizes for his arrest

Buccaneers Packers Football AP

The 2011 season has been pretty much perfect for the 11-0 Packers.  Despite the lack of an on-field blemish, the team currently is dealing with a distraction that originated off the field of play.

Starting outside linebacker Erik Walden was arrested Friday for suspicion of domestic violence.  Jailed through the weekend and released on Monday, Walden returned to work Wednesday.  He addressed the situation before a group of reporters.

“I want to apologize to the entire organization, my teammates and the fans,” Walden said, via the Associated Press.  “You know, it’s an ongoing process, I respect that process, and it’s just unfortunate that I brought something negative from so much positive that’s going on with this organization.”

Asked whether he could say anything to reassure fans about his character, Walden said, “Again, I just want to apologize.  I feel terrible about the situation.  Just ready to move on and play football.”

Walden is due back in court on December 7.  On Monday, the county prosecutor indicated that Walden’s girlfriend had changed her story.

Walden deferred any questions about his status for Sunday’s game to coach Mike McCarthy, adding that the fourth-year player is “absolutely” resigned to the possibility that he won’t play.

Walden has started every game in 2011, his first year as a full-time starter.  He had a team-high 10 tackles against the Lions on Thanksgiving.

Permalink 76 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
76 Responses to “Erik Walden apologizes for his arrest”
  1. profootballwalk says: Nov 30, 2011 8:02 PM

I’m very sorry I got caught. It will never happen again. Getting caught, that is.

2. new101101 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:02 PM

It’s OK Erik. At least you did not ruin 2 teams from the inside out. – Josh McDaniels

3. staff2cj4td says: Nov 30, 2011 8:02 PM

hmmmmmm in a few seconds there should bee 500 comments calling to throw him off the planet Earth!! Everyone was so quick to call for Suh’s head when he stomped on a man on the football field in the heat of battle, well this douche went home and beat a woman, half the size of the punter!!

Nick Barnett, Brandon Underwood, Erik Walden…..etc…..etc…..who’s next?!?!

really breeding those women beaters up in Cheese Land

4. contra74 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:05 PM

5. claymath52 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:08 PM

If he hit her, cut him.

6. ishallcomment says: Nov 30, 2011 8:09 PM

Walden and Wynn need to get out o the starting lineup…

they are CONSTANTLY owned in single blocking,

hopefully So’Oto or Zombo can steal Walden’s spot, and Mike Neal can slowly take reps away at DE

7. bangitfootball says: Nov 30, 2011 8:14 PM

You belong to me
    Tell him you were foolin
    baby,you belong to me

8. vikescry1 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:23 PM

If he’s guilty then he needs to go play somewhere else. There’s no place for that in greenbay or anywhere else. Although, in his defense he at least looked and sounded sincere when he appologized. Not any babbling or the man up stairs knows I was just trying to get my balance…. beating a women is wrong and if he’s guilty cut him and send him to jail. If he’s not then get over it. And for those of u trying to compare this to the suh stomp, ummm this didn’t happen on tv. So we have to see if an investigation finds him guilty. If she’s changing her story we may never know the truth. Fact is walden should have handle’d this differently. He should have called the police or the packers to find out how to handle it properly.

9. chetwynnr says: Nov 30, 2011 8:23 PM

Unlike Suh this man owned up to his problem. Get him some help to learn to just walk away.

10. wheresmyjuice says: Nov 30, 2011 8:26 PM

Plax pay attention- Guys who are humbled when they screw up don’t get mocked in endzone celebrations.

11. gb4mn0 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:26 PM

contra74 says:
    Nov 30, 2011 8:05 PM

——————————————–

I’m very sorry. You’ve shamed me into repentance for all the unwarranted trash talking I’ve done against the leagues most morally and ethically pure team plus all the unmerited insults calling into question the sexuality of the greatest fan base in the history of all pro sports. I promise to refrain from such uncalled for content in my posts from this day forth.

Signed,
    C_ntra74 whoops, I left out the U.

12. steelerhypocrite says: Nov 30, 2011 8:27 PM

Typical Packer…line him up to Favre’s drug use, Chumura’s raping, Jolly’s drugs or Paul Hornung’s racism…it’s just typical Packer.

13. numberoneinthehoodg says: Nov 30, 2011 8:28 PM

B*itch better have my money?

14. addictedtojane says: Nov 30, 2011 8:28 PM

I am a PACKERS fan, but it’s so stupid that Suh gets all this coverage for a stomp and yet crap like this is just buried. I’d rather be a dirty player than a guy who beats on woman. Not saying that he did, we all know how the courts process works (innocent until proven guilty). Just saying that I’d take Suh over any a-hole who beats on their wife/girlfriend/kids.

15. rmc1995 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:28 PM

I’m certain there will be comments regarding the two days between being released and the apology. I’m the certain others will wonder why he failed to apologize to the woman. Others will be appalled that his teammates still support him. It’s odd its been 6 days and no articles have been written speculating if it will be like Roethlisburgers suspension or Pacman. Tony Dungy has yet to blame this on McCarthy nor has anyone called McCarthy an enabler of domestic disputes. Maybe a column called good players bad people will be written by the Packers. The media and fans who respect thefor image of footballthe will certainly have a field day with this story.

16. addictedtojane says: Nov 30, 2011 8:30 PM

staff2cj4td says:
    Nov 30, 2011 8:02 PM

really breeding those women beaters up in Cheese Land

And you’re a bigger moron than a woman-beater if you think this indicitive of Wisconsin. Real classy.

17. bozosforall says: Nov 30, 2011 8:32 PM

That hillbilly loser fits right in over there in sheep humper land.

18. 28for20 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:33 PM

So, he apologizes to everyone but her!?

19. textexington says: Nov 30, 2011 8:33 PM

Innocent until proven guilty.

20. earthtopft says: Nov 30, 2011 8:33 PM

Eric has learned from his mistake. In the future he won’t leave telltale bruising of the facial area.

21. bearsstillsuck says: Nov 30, 2011 8:37 PM

he’s just so strong, women confuse his strength and passion for domestic violence. and he didn’t beat her, he was trying to get up and get away from the situation.

22. gonzo29 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:42 PM

It’s amazing how people can pile on a guy without the least amount of information.

Did you know the women has changed the account of the incident three times?

Did you know there was no marks of any kind on her?

Did you know that after she admitted to hitting him first multiple times?

News flash people, sometimes women lie. The Packers don’t mess around with stuff like this. The fact that they have already said he is playing this weekend tells me a lot.

23. burrito12 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:43 PM

“I could be a Viking “troll” on a Packer thread and just bash the hell out of Walden and the organization in an immature manner such as gb4mn0 or any other Packer troll but I wont do that.”
    ————————————————————

That’s is because a Vikings troll has no room to rip on any other organization when speaking on behalf of the lousy organization they support.

24. jrmbadger says: Nov 30, 2011 8:46 PM

I’m not gonna judge the guy yet. His girlfriend changed her story from “he assaulted me” to “I assaulted HIM and I was injured when he defended himself.”

Hard to tell what really happened. While many woman cover for their abusing partners, abusive woman do exist, and men do get falsely accused as people often jump to conclusions.

25. jimmysee says: Nov 30, 2011 8:51 PM

Once the authorities figure out what really happened, I’m sure it will be handled in accordance with the law and league policy.

Until then, all we got is hot air, speculation and blather mostly from trolls.

26. kennyrogerschicken says: Nov 30, 2011 8:52 PM

staff2cj4td says: Nov 30, 2011 8:02 PM

Nick Barnett, Brandon Underwood, Erik Walden…..etc…..etc…..who’s next?!?!

really breeding those women beaters up in Cheese Land

————————————

Where to begin? First, Suh was caught several times playing dirty and was caught on camera stomping on a guy. That’s fact. Walden has allegations against him which may or may not be true, and actions witnessed by nobody other than himself and his girlfriend. Maybe proof is needed before making judgments, kinda like the video footage of Suh stomping on another player.

Congrats on listing three Packers, two former and one active, that have been in trouble with the law. I suppose three guys out of hundreds who’ve been a part of Green Bay football in the last five years is a big number for a fan of a team that went 0-16 just a few years ago.

Oh, and Walden wasn’t born in Wisconsin, he was born in Georgia. I know you’re probably an authority on breeding, but stick to your goats and chickens instead of people. That way you’ll still sound smart.

Seriously though, if Walden did what is alleged, then he should be cut.

27. bdoubleoey says: Nov 30, 2011 8:55 PM

28. packfaninchitown says: Nov 30, 2011 8:57 PM

Erik,

One true measure of a man is how he treats the women in his life and how well he controls his temper.

If you’re guilty of hurting your lady then you’ve got some serious introspection ahead of you.

29. i3addog says: Nov 30, 2011 9:03 PM

The bar for acceptable bad behavior has been set pretty low by the Eagles QB. If he can be forgiven, anyone can.

30. jessethegreat says: Nov 30, 2011 9:04 PM

Die hard Packers fan here….. so this sucks.

From a strictly objective standpoint, his penalty will be far less severe than Johnny Jolly’s, and if the alegations against him are true, his crime was much worse than Johnny’s.

I know Jolly was caught 3 separate times, but one time beating a woman is still worse than not being strong enough to battle your personal demons with the cough syrup.

Either way, NEXT MAN UP

31. FANof28 says: Nov 30, 2011 9:09 PM

Well, at least he’ll still collect a big paycheck for his next game right? I bet if I went out and punched my girlfriend I wouldn’t get a $50,000 check this week.

32. rgwhodey says: Nov 30, 2011 9:10 PM

So much for the perfect season, talk about killing the packers mojo…

Just sayin’

33. baegucb says: Nov 30, 2011 9:19 PM

staff2cj4td : worried about your Giants? Maybe you should talk to Taylor or Plaxo.

34. chatham10 says: Nov 30, 2011 9:20 PM

Is he going to get the same time off that Cook of the Vikings did? I have no idea what degree this was compared to Cook, but hitting a woman is still hitting a woman.

35. wtfru2 says: Nov 30, 2011 9:28 PM

See, it’s not only the Vikings that are stupid wife beaters!

36. tbone8018 says: Nov 30, 2011 9:37 PM

Innocent until proven guilty people, the gf already changing her story. At least his apology seemed sincere, unlike Sue.

37. 46defense says: Nov 30, 2011 9:37 PM

Football is a violent sport played by violent people. Why should we believe he didn’t do it?

38. Bar None says: Nov 30, 2011 9:46 PM

According to another report the girlfriend acknowledges attacking him and said that he acted in self defense. Just an FYI.

39. randylaheytpb says: Nov 30, 2011 9:53 PM

These comments are dumb. Reserve judgment until you actually know more about what happened.

But yes, if he hit her, cut him. Packers are a good organization and I expect they will deal with this as maturely and appropriately as any organization would (which isn’t really saying much, I suppose).

40. jerrykill4pres says: Nov 30, 2011 9:58 PM

Ok, just going to state the obvious here. But you would think that with the Vikings Chris Cook getting busted for being a moron a month ago, that some of these guys would try to control their temper a little bit. But as usual, they all think because they are a professional athlete, they can get away with this.

These guys are morons.. And heres why… if your gf is messin around. Simple fix… Leave her, your an athlete, you should have no troubles finding another girl that night, take her to the “motel 6″, take some pictures with your camera phone while she’s doing the deed, and send them to your gf… Then tell her to move out! If you have any more questions… Text me… Brett Favre..

41. baegucb says: Nov 30, 2011 9:59 PM

trolls abound. Enjoy next week staff2cj4td .

42. thejuddstir says: Nov 30, 2011 10:01 PM

“I want to apologize to the entire organization, my teammates and the fans,” Walden said, via the Associated Press………………………….how about an apology to the female you beat up????? Isn’t that part of true remorse.

43. claymatthewsisonsteroids says: Nov 30, 2011 10:11 PM

Typical Packer.

44. rajuncajun28 says: Nov 30, 2011 10:13 PM

45. noeffinway says: Nov 30, 2011 10:16 PM

There’s no way he’s REALLY sorry! It happened friday and he didn’t apologize until today?????? WTF!

46. burrito12 says: Nov 30, 2011 10:42 PM

“so, do cheeseheads beat their women with blocks of cheese? but, if you live in nowhere, wi, i guess there is nothing else to do….what a cr.ap hole of a city….”
    ====================================

Based on your screen name and lack of grammar, I assume you are from south and has probably never been to Lambeau or even set foot in the State of Wisconsin? I’ve been to cajun land, so I understand how you would be familiar with cr.p holes.

47. jessethegreat says: Nov 30, 2011 10:51 PM

rajuncajun28 says:
    Nov 30, 2011 10:13 PM

——————————————————–
    Says a man that lives in the chit bowl of the entire country in New Orleans. Katrina did something the rest of the nation was begging to happen to your region. GO BACK TO FRANCE you welfare riding inbreads!

48. jh500 says: Nov 30, 2011 10:54 PM

FANof28 says: Nov 30, 2011 9:09 PM

_____________________________________

Then again, you aren’t one of the best athletes in the country.

49. 31teamsarebetterthanthepackers says: Nov 30, 2011 10:58 PM

He should have saved his energy and used it against gb4mn0 instead.

50. rodgerthat says: Nov 30, 2011 10:59 PM

steelerhypocrite says:
    Nov 30, 2011 8:27 PM
    ———————————————
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, I suppose we are supposed to consider big ben the ethical poster child of the NFL?

51. textexington says: Nov 30, 2011 11:07 PM

11-0>2-9.

52. rmc1995 says: Nov 30, 2011 11:10 PM

She changed her story that she hit him first and he acted in self defense. So what? I don’t care if you are a 160 lb clerk or a 250 lb linebacker, a man shouldn’t retaliate on a woman in kind. Perhaps he didn’t and she fell and got her head cut from the bed post and he’s apologizing for the terrible situation being a bad relationship. But hitting a women simply because she hit you first isn’t something we should easily overlook especially for those of you who think a kick that caused no injury is uncalled for no matter what a 300a lb man did to him first.

53. thejuddstir says: Nov 30, 2011 11:27 PM

Chris Cook’s girlfriend has been attempting to change her story too (a sugar daddy can do that to a woman) however Minnesota authorities have the physical evidence……..don’t know if the Mayberry police in Green Bay even have a camera to take a picture of the vic. I don’t care what team someone plays for, there’s no room for physical violence…….the Pack should at least suspend him until things are sorted out, it’s what the Vikings did with Cook, but it sounds like the Pack is actually going to “reward” the guy by starting him on Sunday.

54. sobora says: Nov 30, 2011 11:53 PM

Honestly, given that crappy situation this is, Walden is handling this the best he can. Like others have said, the report of what actually has happened has been turned over more times than the Vikings’ quarterback.

It’s tough to say what really happened. If he is guilty, cut him. If not, chalk it up to just another athlete in the spotlight for something crappy.

55. stellarperformance says: Nov 30, 2011 11:55 PM

He has nothing to be sorry for other than choosing the wrong girlfriend. Nobody has any idea what really happened and for my part, I don’t care.

And for you dopes with opinions of what it must be like to live near Green Bay (without ever having set foot,) I couldn’t recommend any place better, especially the nearby Door County area. But my preferences run along the lines of cleanliness, low crime, good schools, and great football.

You need to ask yourselves if you want a football site or a travel site, because if you want a football site, you’ll have to get used to the fact that the Green Bay Packers of Green Bay, Wisconsin,…. own this one.

56. brett76 says: Dec 1, 2011 6:41 AM

I live in Green Bay, but hate the Packers….& for the guy who said there is no place for this in Green Bay…what do you mean? It’s had a place in Green Bay for years

Let’s see
    Mosey Cade rapes his AUNT
    James Lofton forces a woman into oral
    Brett Favre & Mark Chumura had a bed room set up in the basement of a Main Street bar to take women they weren’t married to in to have sex.
    Gilbert brown used to love to toss his wife around the house
    Nick Barnett dragged a woman down the steps of a bar
    Brandon Underwood slaps around a hooker/stripper at a country club
    Now Erik Waldon smaking around his ol lady

Throw in Chumra hot tubbing with high school girls in Milwauke
    Favre’s drug addiction
    Johnny Jolly getting 6 years for drug peddling

The there is all the boozing & womanizing of the 1960’s Packers…oh but that was accepted then

Seems to me the Packers have a very long history of this kind of behavior. Stop trying to make it like Green Bay is some Holy place that no bad happens in. Until about 15 to 20 years ago, 99% of the African American population of Green Bay left town when Packer season ended, because they were all Packers. Let’s just say, most of the people here still have the attitude towards them that you’d expect from a community of almost entirely whites. A wee bit on the racial side.

57. brett76 says: Dec 1, 2011 6:43 AM

58. axespray says: Dec 1, 2011 8:50 AM

brett76 says:Dec 1, 2011 6:41 AM
    “Let’s just say, most of the people here still have the attitude towards them that you’d expect from a community of almost entirely whites. A wee bit on the racial side.”

Cause Donald Driver or Reggie White jerseys are no where to be found in Green Bay …
    seriously…a Wee bit on the racial side?
    No way you’re from wisconsin ….

59. mhartman7 says: Dec 1, 2011 8:52 AM

So much ignorance on this site.
    Do you think he and his girlfriend have talked since then? That maybe…just maybe…any apology would have been between them and not to the press?

And at this point, the information we have is that she hit him…he defended and pushed her away.
    Barring anything else coming that changes that, he will not be, nor should he be suspended.

Suh got the coverage because of his reputation, because of being a high profile guy, and because his incident happened on the feature game on National Television.
    Most outside of Green Bay don’t even know who Walden is. His happened late in the night. He did time in jail. He has now been released with no charges so far.

Its hilarious how people want to keep trying to bash Green Bay because of their success on the field and will ignore the facts of what is going on in order to do so.
    Grow up.

60. axespray says: Dec 1, 2011 8:52 AM

31teamsarebetterthanthepackers says:Nov 30, 2011 10:58 PM
    “He should have saved his energy and used it against gb4mn0 instead.”

typical ‘wish harm on their fellow human beings’ over football drivel from a whiney viking fan…smh.

61. mhartman7 says: Dec 1, 2011 8:53 AM

“brett76 says: Dec 1, 2011 6:43 AM

Oh & the need for proof of this…I think the fact the woman went to the hospital & Walden went to jail is quite a bit of proof”

That is proof that she had an injury and when a domestic call is made in Wisconsin someone goes to jail.

Has he been charged with anything brett 76?

62. axespray says: Dec 1, 2011 8:55 AM

bdoubleoey says:Nov 30, 2011 8:55 PM
    “I agree with you contra74. Where are all the Packer Rubes talking crap about the Vikes and Chris Cook, and how the Pack are this almighty team that doesn’t screw up? And wasnt Jolly an ex Packer? How many years did he get? no team is immune to this crap.”
    ————————————

probably cause our team doesn’t top the bengals in arrests in the last decade.

63. smoothjimmyapollo says: Dec 1, 2011 10:05 AM

“He needs to apologize to her! What a scumbag he is! Ban him from the nfl for life! I have allowed my children to watch the nfl, but no more! I do not want them exposed to punks like this!”

I agree. The NFL I grew up with had upstanding citizens like O.J. Simpson, Rae Carruth, Donte Stallworth, Leonard Little, and Ray Lewis. Erik Walden getting arrested and released without ever being charged is the straw that breaks the camel’s back. Let’s hide the children and only let them watch sports where the athletes never get arrested for domestic situations, or cheat on their wives or do drugs, or shoot up strip clubs, or fight dogs, or do countless other stupid things that stupid people do. As soon as I find a sport that fits those qualifications, I’ll let you know.

64. jrmbadger says: Dec 1, 2011 10:08 AM

Man, people sure are jealous of the Packers.
    I personally think all the Packer hate is pent up anger and frustration from individuals who are fans of teams in much bigger cities who have fewer (or none in the case of the Vikings) championships. How could a little town in Wisconsin have so much more success than big cities like Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, New York, etc… ????

And the jealousy over the community ownership is just over the top! It must really hurt to know that when you root for your team and support them financially (purchasing products, etc…) that you are lining a billionaires pockets while when we root for and support OUR team we are just re-investing in the greatest franchise in all of sports which is a non-profit corporation owned by the fans, which can never leave the city of Green Bay, and can never bend us over a barrel and demand stadium cash.

65. threedeep1998 says: Dec 1, 2011 10:10 AM

66. beedubyatoo says: Dec 1, 2011 10:11 AM

really breeding those women beaters up in Cheese Land

————————-

Not only the women, but the rest of the NFL also.
    Not that some of them don’t play like women.

67. hatesycophants says: Dec 1, 2011 10:12 AM

I love Wisconsin. I am an alum and I have lived here for 25 years. However, everything Brett76 posted is accurate. Accept it. Change it.

Go Lions! Go Badgers!

68. enutpenfry says: Dec 1, 2011 11:19 AM

Not only did the woman change her story multiple times, but the woman’s mother came forward on Walden’s behalf. While abuse victims may change their story, I’d find it hard to believe that an abuse victim’s mother would support the supposed abuser.

If Walden is guilty, then he should be suspended and/or cut, but there seems to be a lot of facts that haven’t been reported. Unfortunately that doesn’t stop the mob from grabbing the torches and pitchforks for a lynching, facts be damned. Leave it to the courts to determine Walden’s guilt.

69. mhartman7 says: Dec 1, 2011 11:21 AM

“threedeep1998 says: Dec 1, 2011 10:10 AM

At least Frazier told Chris Cook to take a hike. Have fun having a woman beater on your team.”

If you can’t see the differences between Cook and Walden…I can’t help you much.

Cook has actually been charged with a crime.
    Walden has not.

70. mhartman7 says: Dec 1, 2011 11:22 AM

“hatesycophants says: Dec 1, 2011 10:12 AM

Go Lions! Go Badgers!”

So her going to the hospital and him going to jail automatically mean he beat her?
    Because that is what Brett76 was saying.

71. contra74 says: Dec 1, 2011 12:29 PM

jrmbadger says:
    Dec 1, 2011 10:08 AM
    Man, people sure are jealous of the Packers.
    ———–
    The subject at hand here is about a current Packer slapping his old lady around, not about team history or championships. When you became a Packer fan did they hand you the “what to say” handbook in cases where the Packers are cast in a bad light? Chapter 2 right? “When the Packers are being verbally bashed around, find another team and discuss their team record in hopes of moving on to another topic”.

72. contra74 says: Dec 1, 2011 1:06 PM

Reading all the posts here defending/making excuses for Walden makes me sure of one thing – if I ever (which I know wont happen) go low enough to be thrown in jail for domestic violence I want to make sure that my defense attorney is a die-hard Packer fan.

73. mhartman7 says: Dec 1, 2011 1:23 PM

Link to a current Packer slapping a lady around?
    Oh, you only have one where the facts at this point are that she hit him and he defended himself? Yeah…ok.
    BTW…if he is guilty of hitting here, he should be punished to the furthest extent of the law and removed from the team immediately.
    At this point it does not appear to be the case contra.
    Unless you have other facts that are not available to us or the DA.

74. contra74 says: Dec 1, 2011 2:11 PM

mhartman7 says:
    Dec 1, 2011 1:23 PM
    Link to a current Packer slapping a lady around?
    At this point it does not appear to be the case contra.
    Unless you have other facts that are not available to us or the DA.
    ———-
    Right. And OJ didnt do it because “if the glove dont fit, you must acquit”

75. mhartman7 says: Dec 1, 2011 2:31 PM

In other words…you have no clue what happened and are assuming he beat her down.

Thanks…that’s what I thought.

76. stavreafavre says: Dec 1, 2011 4:16 PM

Every time that I feel badly about Packer fans jabbing at the Vikings when they’re down, a bunch of Gopherville trolls show up, frothing through their buckteeth, to bite the Pack’s ankles. They just make it so hard to feel sorry for them…