Report: Stevie Johnson fined $10,000 for his end zone celebration

Buffalo Bills v New York Jets Getty Images

Stevie Johnson’s touchdown celebration against the Jets on Sunday has been the topic of much discussion in the last few days and now the league has reportedly weighed in.

The Associated Press is reporting that the league has fined Johnson $10,000 for his celebration. The league hasn’t made any announcement.

The celebration started with Johnson mock-shooting himself in the leg, a la Jets wideout Plaxico Burress, and then went on to feature Johnson doing his imitation of other Jets receivers holding their arms out like wings before Johnson threw himself to the ground in a simulated crash. The last part led to a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and, after Dave Rayner botched the ensuing kickoff from the Buffalo 20, an easy Jets touchdown.

Johnson expressed regret for hurting his team following the game and later called Burress to apologize. It is the third time he’s been disciplined by the league for end zone celebrations. He was fined $10,000 last season for falling to the ground while shooting a mock rifle, an imitation of the Minuteman at Patriots games, and $5,000 for lifting his uniform to reveal a t-shirt reading “Why So Serious?” after scoring against the Bengals.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Report: Stevie Johnson fined $10,000 for his end zone celebration”
  1. phillyphever says: Nov 30, 2011 5:24 PM

$40,000 too little.

2. medtxpack says: Nov 30, 2011 5:25 PM

losing the game for your team costs more…

3. tombradyallday says: Nov 30, 2011 5:27 PM

10,000 aint nothin for a nfl player. besides what he did was funny as hell. only thing he got to grow is a clutch gene cant be droppin those passes in the 4th quarter. last year steelers this year jets

4. jetgreeeen says: Nov 30, 2011 5:28 PM

Not enough….should have gotten a game too.

5. schmokes says: Nov 30, 2011 5:29 PM

Obviously those fines worked last year, good thinking!

6. jhart615 says: Nov 30, 2011 5:29 PM

unbelievable..it was funny c’mon

7. steelerhypocrite says: Nov 30, 2011 5:33 PM

Excellent celebration…however, if he jumped into the crowd like all cry-baby Packers do (which technically, you’d be sitting down), then there would be no fine…

8. redguy12588 says: Nov 30, 2011 5:35 PM

The why so serious celebration was the best.

9. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Nov 30, 2011 5:35 PM

i don’t see what the big deal is.

10. blackqbwhiterb says: Nov 30, 2011 5:37 PM

Good for him, great unique way to get the airplay, 10k to charity, good job all around! Hahahahaha but a guy with several big dropped passes at crucial moments has to expect payback at some point!

11. jimbobobjr says: Nov 30, 2011 5:39 PM

Being Stevie Johnson is punishment enough.

12. jetsjetsjetsjets627 says: Nov 30, 2011 5:41 PM

Good! it was a classless act by this guy! Deserves a fine!

Also thanks for those big drops at the end of the game Stevie!

13. nhchamp186 says: Nov 30, 2011 5:43 PM

The Bills should fine him for dropping critical passes that cost the team a win, and likely any chance of making the playoffs.

14. polishkingski says: Nov 30, 2011 5:49 PM

for all the pft readers outside of western n.y let me let you in on something. stevie johnson is a guy who gives a 110% for the buffalo bills and the community at large, however i fear he needs to straighten up and fly right before he self destructs. c`mon stevie, settle down, you are a pro now.

15. rayvens says: Nov 30, 2011 5:49 PM

S.Johnson is a joke, and Goodell is a joke for thinking if he fines a millionaire $10,000 its goin to make a difference. Jokes disciplining jokes, wat a Joke

16. theprofesser says: Nov 30, 2011 5:50 PM

Man $10,000 for falling on the ground sounds a little excessive.

17. infectorman says: Nov 30, 2011 5:51 PM

you wont see Bill Belichick or Mike McCarthy coached players performing these ludicrous, “hey everyone look at me, ain’t I great” celebrations when they reach the endzone.

While Burress was an idiot for capping his own leg, the last thing he needs is to hear about from another member of the WR brotherhood.
    If I was Burress, I’d kick little Stevie’s punkass

Serves him right to lose the game- he is a small picture type of player

18. infectorman says: Nov 30, 2011 5:55 PM

Fact is, the vast majority of “skill” players don’t do this crap.
    Why are coaches allowing these “grade school” players to continue to do this when it ends up hurting the teams chances to win the game?
    They need to literally help save these players from themselves

19. db105 says: Nov 30, 2011 6:00 PM

That’s pocket change for an NFL player.

20. granadafan says: Nov 30, 2011 6:01 PM

The worst part about the celebration is that these guys act as if they did all the work and don’t celebrate with their TEAMates. The QB was the one who delivered the perfect pass and the O-line/TEs blocked well enough for the QB to have the time to throw. Guys like TO, Chad Johnson, and Stevie are completely selfish in their celebrations.

21. easyeddie says: Nov 30, 2011 6:11 PM

jetgreeeen says: Nov 30, 2011 5:28 PM

Not enough….should have gotten a game too.

———————————–

Ooh, did he hurt you pwecious Jets fans feewings?

22. dlmcc1010 says: Nov 30, 2011 6:12 PM

I dont see why he needed to be fined. I got a kick out of it. Karma took care of him anyway, since he dropped some key passes and genuinely ruined his teams chances of winning that game.

I have a real problem with all the fines and flags. Its just dumb

23. ruggerlad says: Nov 30, 2011 6:17 PM

Plax is a moron and earned the right to be forever mocked for shooting himself. Why was this a fine? Why are any fines even fines now? Goodell is the biggest scum bag in the world and my feelings towards that man is bordering on hate. He is ruining my passion with constant fines and penalties taking away big hits from football!??! Roger I hope you lose everything you are worthless!

24. ruggerlad says: Nov 30, 2011 6:19 PM

Why does a lawyer have to be the commissioner could we not have a decent person with morals who is not just interested in filling his pockets as well as the greedy owners pockets.

25. ruggerlad says: Nov 30, 2011 6:23 PM

I am not saying it isn’t a horrible thing to do but if someone pretends to drunk drive and hit someone during a celebration do they deserve a big fine? More punishment than Leonard Little got for killing someone? Stallworth got 2 years. Vick got a few years, these people did stupid or inhumane psychopathic things and one is fined for mocking them? This PC world needs a wake up call! T

26. acmepacker says: Nov 30, 2011 6:23 PM

I know it was it was probably unsportsmanlike conduct but why is that different than trash talking? You gotta at least give a “c” for creativity and it was pretty funny.

27. theklitch says: Nov 30, 2011 6:24 PM

what is theklitch….. stevie johnson loves it

28. jakek2 says: Nov 30, 2011 6:26 PM

Terrible. Now Goodell is the arbiter of what touchdown dances are “fine-worthy”. Dude is like Ahmedinijad.

29. 4512dawg4512 says: Nov 30, 2011 6:36 PM

That sounds about right, I did think it was kind of funny though. Too bad he didn’t do a celebration that mocked the judicial system for making an “example” out of Plax. Cause I’m sure NOBODY is carrying guns into clubs in NY anymore. He never should have gone to the clink, a couple years of probation would have been fine

30. upyoursnfu says: Nov 30, 2011 6:38 PM

Recent Tweet from Stevie:

“Dang God, I pray to you everynight Why you do me like this, dawg? Why you make me lose $10K?”

31. upyoursnfu says: Nov 30, 2011 6:39 PM

What kind of grown man calls himself Stevie?

32. undergrnking585 says: Nov 30, 2011 6:40 PM

You guys say he cost us the game, but he was he only reason we were even in the game!

33. george1859 says: Nov 30, 2011 6:45 PM

infectorman says:
    Nov 30, 2011 5:51 PM

Huh?
    What is that gay belt thing Rodgers does on every TD?
    Not defending Johnson, but let’s open our eyes here..

34. baegucb says: Nov 30, 2011 6:56 PM

Penalty + fine + dropped passes = his team doesn’t make the playoffs. I’d expect his teammates to key his car.

35. simalex says: Nov 30, 2011 6:59 PM

Imitating a crashing jet… in New York City, ya know, the whole 9/11 thing… shows a remarkable lack of sensitivity and awareness and brain power in general.

But I really have no idea how these fines are being determined. The entire fine/suspension/punishment scheme of the NFL seems like it’s being made up as we go.

36. gunshochuli says: Nov 30, 2011 7:02 PM

infectorman says: Nov 30, 2011 5:51 PM

*********************************

You won’t huh?

What about the lame and played out Lambeau leap after every packer TD? Or Rodgers stupid wrestling belt?

No. You never see a McCarthy coached player do any “hey everyone look at me, ain’t I great” celebrations. Only after every single TD.

37. rtmus53 says: Nov 30, 2011 7:05 PM

steelerhypocrite says: Nov 30, 2011 5:33 PM

All the cry-babies I see on here are mainly Stiller fans that still cannot get over 2/6/11. Choke on that one some more- bet I couldn’t PAY you to play that number on the PA Pick 4 lottery…..you,stairwell and all the rest of your ilk (but not all Steeler fans are like you)

38. henryjones20 says: Nov 30, 2011 7:07 PM

Infectorman: i guess you forgot about mike vrabel doing the eagle dance mimicking philly during the sbowl. Yeah bellicheck was the coach

39. cardiovascularendurance says: Nov 30, 2011 7:11 PM

His celebration was idiotic and something he should be embarrassed about, but a $10,000 fine is ridiculous. I can understand a fine for a helmet-to-helmet hit, but an end zone celebration? That’s a joke.

40. mancave001 says: Nov 30, 2011 7:14 PM

When Plax came back I joked about how funny it would be if a player did that in the end zone to mock him. My reaction? “That…actually…HAPPENED!”

Love it.

41. rmc1995 says: Nov 30, 2011 7:15 PM

Given his past history he should be suspended for multiple games before he really hurts someone’s feelings.

42. lookatthefarside says: Nov 30, 2011 7:35 PM

Stevie should be rewarded for his hilarious antics, not fined.

43. rabidbillsfan says: Nov 30, 2011 8:10 PM

Grandafan, involving teammates in your celebration is a penalty. Also, I’m sure those two had some good words for each other afterwards. Quit being a tool.

44. fitzmagic1212 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:16 PM

plaxico is an idiot who shot himself..he deserves to be made fun of. however stevie you can’t go to the ground and take that penalty..or drop a game winner. cmon man

45. cliverush says: Nov 30, 2011 8:29 PM

Plax made the clutch catch while Stevie choked on his opportunity. Antic that cost your team are not funny to the team mates. We all enjoy being entertained but the focus of the players should be to win the game. Winning provide the best show of all. They get paid to play football, not dance.

46. clevername1 says: Nov 30, 2011 8:44 PM

Actually the rule is fairly simple: Don’t go to the ground in celebration.

47. tiffpats4eva says: Nov 30, 2011 9:20 PM

Ridiculous.

48. chilomane says: Nov 30, 2011 9:46 PM

It’s a game that was funny. I love football more than any other form of entertainment but that’s what it is. So a guy shoots himself he should be made fun of.

49. jgo23 says: Nov 30, 2011 9:50 PM

Sad thing is…the media pounds the idea of how detrimental the penalty was and how it led to the jets scoring. Not a peep about how the kicker also squib kicked it right into a jets player and was recovered by the jets on the bills’ 40 yd line.

50. szwhtsup123 says: Nov 30, 2011 10:07 PM

A T-NO wannabe!

51. dynaco says: Nov 30, 2011 10:31 PM

A lot of loosers out there who think it was funny.
    Now the Bills season is in the crapper. All those man hours training, sweating and getting beat up for what? That’s not what i would want in my locker room…a funny guy who could cost us a game on any given Sunday because he feels it’s his obligation to entertain his peeps.

52. tunescribe says: Nov 30, 2011 10:51 PM

Johnson was a wuss for apologizing to that goon Burress, who deserves being mocked. The celebration was funny, too bad he didn’t omit the falling-down part.

53. majorseahawk says: Nov 30, 2011 11:47 PM

Goodell is power corrupt. Who cares what celebration he did? Its a game. Some day they’ll start fining the Packers for the Lambeau Leap, that will be a huge blow up for sure.

54. virusgvr says: Nov 30, 2011 11:52 PM

I wish I had just 10k to give away for some sorta fine. That would take me a extra 4 months salary pay to earn that.

55. seahawks12thman says: Dec 1, 2011 1:32 AM

oh come on people. He wasn’t crashing the plane into the towers or anything. He was mocking Holmes…plus the NFL with these fines are really turning into a joke

56. infectorman says: Dec 1, 2011 7:57 AM

Huh?
    What is that gay belt thing Rodgers does on every TD?
    Not defending Johnson, but let’s open our eyes here..

You won’t huh?

____________________________________

Fellas,

all good points: but those celebrations aren’t what I was talking about and I can tell my original point was not clear.

1.The Rodgers Belt thing is gay however, he hasn’t done it for months now. However, it is not quite the same as a WR or RB celebration where they dance and grab popcorn or put on HOF coats, or grab a stashed cell-phone from inside the goal-post to mimic calling someone ala Joe Horn.

2. The Lambeau Leap?

A long standing GB tradition (That has spread to other towns, btw) that is not: Selfish, a “hey look at me, ain’t I great” type of celebration, nor does it positively effect the opposing teams field position on the ensuing kickoff. Its is kinda old at this point.

3. Vrabel in Philly: you also forgot Vince Wilfork mocking Shawn Merriman “Lights Out” in the playoffs in San Diego on at Midfield.

I guess you got me there. However, IMO,
    those celebrations didn’t end up hurting his team and weren’t so much “Hey Look at me” as they were about mocking the opposition.

Which as I believe is equally un-professional.
    Thanks for reminding me. This kinda crap is just getting old.

If you watch Marshawn Lynch’s latest touchdown against The Redskins, in his run of like 7 or 8 in a row per game – immediately after he turns around from crossing the plane- he is looking to hand the ball to the ref. If only they could all be a little more profesionnal and respectful of their opponents and the game…

57. richm2256 says: Dec 1, 2011 9:30 AM

We now have a value on stupidity: $10,000

I’m far from a Plaxico Burress fan, but that dance was stupid and excessive,the moron never once thought about his team and any penalty he might get.

Fine aside, it was more fitting that the team’s loss could be traced right back to the penalty for that dance.

And this, from an affirmed Jets hater.

58. rabidbillsfan says: Dec 2, 2011 11:10 AM

@Infectorman

You are really going to defend Marshawn Lynch? Really? He has been in Seattle for just over a year, I had to deal with his stpuid antics for 3 and a half years in Buffalo, didn’t he superman dive after he ran into the endozone on that long run against the saints too? You also say Rodgers doen’t do his “Belt” anymore, but I have seen a State Farm commercial that says otherwise.

@Richm

Dont worry, you will be able to make excuses after the Bills sweep the Patriots this year.

59. cbgbs21 says: Dec 2, 2011 2:36 PM

Do all Jets fans have their panties in a bunch about this one? Personally, I thought it was the funniest TD celebration I’ve seen in years. And another thing; for everyone calling it “classless”, which is worse: dude bringing an unregistered handgun to a nightclub and shooting himself in the leg, or a completely harmless TD celebration? I mean let’s be honest, if you accidentally shoot yourself then it’s inevitable that you’ll get your fair share of ridicule. I really don’t understand some people (Dirty Jersey Jets fans)…