Aikman on Archie’s complaints: Eli is a man, he can defend himself

Getty Images

After the Giants’ win over the Patriots, Archie Manning said that his enjoyment of watching his son Eli lead the team to victory was dampened by FOX announcer Troy Aikman’s criticism of Eli.

On the Dan Patrick Show today, Aikman said he doesn’t think he’s any tougher on Eli than he is on any other NFL quarterback. And he reminded Archie that his son is a grown man who can handle such criticism himself.

“Eli hasn’t said anything to me,” Aikman said. “He’s 30 years old and if he has something to say or if he feels I’m being a little too tough then he can certainly voice that.”

Aikman added that he thinks highly of the youngest member of the Manning quarterback clan, but that when Eli threw one particularly bad pass in that game against the Patriots, it was Aikman’s job to say so.

“I think Eli is playing outstanding,” Aikman said. “Archie is referring to a game a few weeks back, when Eli, with a one-possession lead, threw a reckless ball into the corner of the end zone, it was intercepted and you just can’t have that as a quarterback. I know that, Eli knows that. I pointed it out. Sometimes quarterbacks don’t play as great as their parents think they do.”

Aikman is right: Announcers who sugarcoat their commentary are doing a disservice to the viewers. If a quarterback makes a mistake, the ex-quarterback in the booth is supposed to analyze the mistake, without worrying about how the quarterback’s dad might feel.

95 responses to “Aikman on Archie’s complaints: Eli is a man, he can defend himself

1. So first Archie engineers where his kid plays and now he wants to set up rules about criticizing. Its the NFL, everyone does NOT get a trophy for participating.

2. never am or was an Aikman fan, he beat on my team for too long, BUT he’s right. if Eli wants to defend himself he is 30 years old, he can do it. Archie needs to go worry about other things, like Peyton’s health.

3. Aikman is right. Eli can handle the criticism on his own. Archie really should have kept quiet. But he’s his dad. Whatever.

“that when Eli threw one particularly bad pass in that game against the Patriots, it was Aikman’s job to say so.”

That’s fine and all and I agree. Aikman has to say those things. But I don’t seem to remember hearing Aikman things like that regarding Brady that day and let’s be real, he had a few crappy throws that day. That was my only problem with Aikman.

4. People are just too sensitive. Aikman was being critical when he had too, it’s not like he said Somin offensive. It must be a tough season for the Manning household the Colts suck because of Peyton, and the Giants are in a free fall. It’s been a while since they enjoyed some good fortune. It might probably just be frustration.

5. Hey Archie can it. Which of you had the better career? Which of you won the Superbowl? Oh, sorry you had to have made it there, not just going to watch your kids.

I am by no means an Aikman fan, however Aikman’s career stands for itself, he knows the game AND he knows the position.

Maybe you should listen and help your son get better instead of taking offense to the truth.

6. How embarrassing would it be for a grown a** man to be defended by his daddy?

A HoF quarterback, especially one with 3 Super Bowl rings has the right to criticize another QB. That’s probably why Archie was bent out of shape. I don’t have a problem with what Aikman said because it’s simply true. I watched that game with my buds. We all saw it and screamed, “Where’s he throwing it to?!” Aikman called him on it, and was right to do so. It’s his job, as is any booth announcer who saw such a bad decision on the field.

7. How does Aikman come to the conclusion that Eli was upset with the criticism? I’m sure he criticized himself just as much. It sounds to me like Papa Manning didn’t want to hear anything bad about his son.

8. I agree with you on this. Looks like
    Archie is getting a bit crotchety in his old age. Perhaps his adult diaper is leaking a little and making him uncomfortable.

9. As a Giants fan, I have no problems with what Aikman said. This seems like a petty game of telephone. This is much to do about nothing.

10. Redskin fan here. I can count on two fingers the number of Cowboy players since 1979 that I a) like and b) respect: 1) Drew Pearson, 2) Troy Aikman.

Troy, as usual, is 100% right. Best color guy in the biz.

11. I thought Archie’s complaints were more with Joe Buck. Joe Buck is a play by play guy that loves to overstep into color commentary and loves to take digs at not just Eli but the Giants in general.
    Personally I think Aikman is one of the better color guys out there but on the flip side Joe Buck needs to stick to just the play by play.
    The problem with turning the sound off is then you don’t have anything. You cannot turn the sound off the TV and turn on the radio because TV is on more of delay and you hear the play on radio before you see it.

12. Aikman is 100% correct that Eli can handle himself. Archie is way out of line. But to claim Aikman doesn’t sugarcoat his commentary is ridiculous. He’s the biggest Dallas homer there is. You listen to Troy talk you would swear that Dallas is an undefeated team that’s won the last ten Super Bowls, not a team that has won exactly ONE playoff game in the last 15 years.

13. Aikman is correct, and Eli is too inconsistent for anyone to complain about criticism directed his way. Yes, sometimes he is good, but not every game. Is Gilbride part of that? Yes, but it’s hard to tell how much falls on him.

14. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Dec 1, 2011 10:22 AM

If it weren’t for Eli and Peyton no one outside of New Orleans would know who Archie is.

——————————————

get a clue!

15. Anyone who wants to see an example of Buck and Aikman’s incompetence just needs to watch the clip of the Tyree catch in the Super Bowl. One of the worst play by play calls of a great moment in the history of sports.

16. .
    eli made only one bad pass???? COME ON MAN!

aikman should talk about how elis lack of LIP management is counter productive to his passing….
    why does eli still act like a rookie? when pressured he just throws it…. ANYWHERE….

17. jrizzo575 says:
    Dec 1, 2011 10:23 AM

Troy, as usual, is 100% right. Best color guy in the biz.
    ======================
    Troy Aikman is white, but either way, I don’t see what that has to do with his sports commentating abilities…

18. I had the “pleasure??” of watching Archie pummeled for years at Saints games when original ownership insisted that Archie + one receiver (Danny Abramowitz) were all the players they needed to make a lot of money. Archie is a class person. Aikman is like a lot of these guys (Phil Simms, Boomer Esaison, Tiki Barber, etc) who were surrounded by super talent and turned average to slighlty better than average skills into big wins and big reputations. They all need to go away.

Of course Archie didn’t want Eli in San Diego with A. J. Smith – what sane knowledgeable parent would? Giants have no credible deep threat, off-kilter running game, and underperforming defensive line so they will likely not be going anywhere significant this year.

19. The Manning’s are wusses. First weaseling out of being drafted by San Diego, and now this. Peyton’s an all-time great, Eli is good, sometimes very good, but that’s about it.
    Either way, losing respect for thee guys.

20. Let’s see, Aikman who is willing to call a spade a spade or someone like Jon Gruden who thinks someone like Tyler Pako is HOF bound……give me Aikman, he’s the best in the business. I bet Archie would love it if he could have Gruden do everyone of Eli’s games!

21. “Announcers who sugarcoat their commentary are doing a disservice to the viewers.”

…someone should give Jon Gruden that memo

22. As a fan I have to shake my head on this report. How many times do we complain to the networks and ESPN about the announcers and is ignored. WOAAA here comes the Manning’s and Daddy has a complaint. I can’t stand Simms and report it each week and no one seems to give a two cents about it. This is a joke and good for Aikman. I remember Eli boy did not want to play for a certain team and Daddy got in that as well.

23. Aikman is the WORST!

He’s much too negative about every play. He drones on and on about what went wrong, but doesn’t praise what went right.

The guys on Monday night are superior; they break down the play and show us what happened. It’s a much better production.

Buck is bad too. When he and Aikman do a game, it’s time to hit the mute button.

24. As any Redskin fan who has listened to Troy Aikman do their team’s games the last couple of seasons knows, he seems to have an axe to grind with his relentless criticism, and even mocking. It is carrying over to other NFC East teams as well. Some of his comments about Eli Manning were sniping and catty – not even slightly analytical.

25. I’m going to admit straight out that I’m a Giants fan, but both Archie and Troy were right. Eli is a big boy and can defend himself if he so chooses and Eli deserved to be criticized for that play, but Tom Brady had about 2 or 3 plays that he deserved to be criticized for during the game and I didn’t hear one negative word out of Aikman’s mouth about Brady’s play. In fact, Aikman heaped praise on Brady while criticizing Eli.

26. I look at Archie Manning’s career and just don’t see the “Great QB stuck on bad teams his entire career” they all talk about……I’m barely old enough to remember seeing him a bit, but someone threw a lot of picks, many more than TD’s, was he really that great? Someone who is old enough correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t see many highlights of 1970’s Saints teams on NFL Network…..But I think he was right on 1 thing-Telling Eli to keep out of San Diego!!

27. Aikman and Buck hate the Giants. I was livid at the throw by Eli, but he doesn’t rag on Brady, Brees and others who make the same throws every game. Eli is not “too inconsistent” as the idiot above claimed. He’s the only reason we are even above.500, albeit slightly.

28. Remember when Irv Favre made a call to Steve Mariucci to tell Holmgren not be such a big meanie as he was hurting Brett’s confidence?

Anyway, Eli is a man. It’s not Archie’s issue. I liked Archie. But his contribution to the Elway-esque stunts pulled on draft day etc, and the whole sense of privilege has me hating the whole family. Archie, your sons don’t actually cr@p Oreos you know.

29. I agree that Eli can defend himself, but I watched that game there is a double standard. The thing is Troy was on WFAN NY the Friday before the game. He said that Tom Brady reminds him most of him, and basically was blowing him in that interview.. All I am going to say is google “Voices ignore Eli to fawn over Brady” article written by Bob Raissman for NYDN… Points out all the inconsistencies during that game and how it was called.

30. Anyone calling Aikman a Dallas homer is an idiot, he routinely criticizes Dallas and Jerry Jones in particular, as a matter of fact many Dallas fans dislike the way he calls games. The good thing about Aikman is he will point out if a player makes a mistakes, no matter what team they play for. The fact that a majority of Eagle fans respect the guy shows how good he is, because as a Dallas Cowboy you have to be damn good to make an Eagles fan respect you.

31. It’s time for Archie to go away. He whined because Saints fans had the audacity to be happy over their team winning the Super Bowl even if it came at Peyton’s expense.

32. @nflofficeadmin

Wow. Where’s your head at? People aren’t talking about Troy’s skin color as much as his job as a color commentator on TV.

I sure hope you were joking. If not, way to step in it deep.

33. As for Aikman, he’s biased. He hates the Packers and will jump immediately to whatever is negative toward the Packers – “Rodgers’ knee was down” on a TD play, “There was a lot of contact” on that game sealing defensive play in the SB, then he’ll back pedal once the replay clearly shows he’s wrong. He likes Rodgers, but he hates the Packers. It spins the head when he’ll praise Rodgers one second, but then hope to hell that the outcome for the Packers is as bad as possible play to play to play.

But anyway, Aikman clearly shows his biases and it’s annoying.

34. Do you want to know why Aikman and Buck don’t criticize Tom Brady like they do Eli Manning?

It might be due to the fact that they aren’t going to announce many AFC games since those games are broadcast on CBS and not FOX.

#SMH.

35. almighty1 says:
    Dec 1, 2011 10:12 AM

————

You sheep who continue to believe this are about as pathetic as Joe Buck droning on about an all-world/all-time catch by Tyree in Super Bowl XLII.

There was a back story with the AJ Smith egomaniac looming after John Butler passed on. No one wants to deal with AJ, and the past 7-8 years have proven why, repeatedly.

36. bigblue86 says:
    Dec 1, 2011 10:58 AM

————

I certainly heard what you heard, but don’t let these baseless Eli/Giants haters hear you say that.

37. jerseyshoregiant says:
    Dec 1, 2011 10:29 AM

————–

Agreed.

38. Buck and ESPN let their hatred of the Yankees cloud their analysis of NY teams in other sports. Giants get the brunt, but the Jets to a lesser extent as well.

39. chmba says:
    Dec 1, 2011 10:48 AM

———–

FINALLY someone who gets why Eli didn’t want to go to San Diego. You had it all right until you said the Giants don’t have a deep threat. Manningham, Cruz and Nicks all are. Now whether Eli consistently has time to get it to them is a different story, but these three guys are all big play receivers.

40. jebdamone says:
    Dec 1, 2011 11:09 AM
    i can barely stand aikman. he is one of the most overtly biased announcers out there.

———-

Dallas can do no wrong, the Bradys, Breeses and Rodgers can do no wrong, and he hates all of his former NFC East rivals.

THANK GOD he’s not calling the Cards/Cowboys game Sunday, and when the Cards win, how sour he will sound.

41. Aikman is currently the best in the business….

Lets put it this way, who else is there? Maylock is pretty good but he lacks credibility… Simms/Gruden have their good days and bad days….

As for the ones who say Aikman was overrated, i suggest listening to what his former teammates say about him… They all loved him… Said he was the toughest QB in the league….. They all respected him.. Only person that didn’t like him in Dallas during the 90s was Skip Bayless… And that was only because Skip was trying to sell books by damaging Aikman’s name…..

I, for one, enjoy listening to Aikman because he calls a fair game…. Anybody that disagrees, is simply looking for holes in his style… Basically nitpicking for whatever reason….

And yeah, Eli did make a bad throw…

42. wferg1121 says:
    Dec 1, 2011 11:13 AM

——–

EXACTLY.

43. jerseyshoregiant, I very seldon have the sound on for any football game. If one parks his or her’s butt in a seat at the stadium they have no sound either. Like most on here, I know enough about the game that I don’t need some announcer lecturing me about something. All the info you need about the game on on the scree. The score, the time, the yellow frist down line and the blue line for the line of scrimage. Hell, you don’ get hat much at a game.

44. What does the Boomer Esiason think about this? Clearly, he is the ONLY person qualified on the entire planet to judge quarterbacks.

If I was as wrong at my job as he was at his – I’d be fired.

45. I really have a hard time listening to Buck and Aikman. They often come off to me as being overly critical of players and coaches. I usually hit the mute button.

46. Romo gets the same treatment from everybody else. Plenty of criticism but barely any positives except comparisons to Bert Fart from Greenie Bray. It’s ludicrous. But, E-cry Manning gets one little thing said and Big Daddy Arch come running to the rescue, just like in the draft.

Do we hear Romo’s Daddy crying “foul!”? Nope. Nor anyone else’s dad.

But… Troy has become negative for the last 3-5 years, Moose included as well. Too much criticism, not critique. Critique will include what’s good and bad. Don’t hear any positives except about Brady. THAT’S WHAT REALLY LUDICROUS!

Guess no one reminds Troy of Troy except Tom.

47. And … I am an Aikman/Cowboys fan, big time (as a player). I’m not suggesting he soft sell. Just find something good to say when there is something good to say.

48. Archie Manning calling Troy Aikman biased in evaluating his kids is a little too much to endure.

Football Dads:

Archie Manning = Old and Busted
    Jack Harbaugh = The New Hotness

49. Oh I see now. You mean they weren’t saying Aikman is the best colored commentator on tv… but that he is the best color commentator on tv. For my momey the best white comentator on TV is Tirico.

50. Aikman was right on, and I say this as a Redskin fan, so I obviously didn’t root for him as a player. As a TV guy, he’s actually very good, and I think he’s generally insightful and even-handed.

That said, it’s funny that he snuck this little comment in: “Sometimes quarterbacks don’t play as great as their parents think they do.”

haha!

51. jrizzo575 says: Dec 1, 2011 10:23 AM

———————————————————————-
    Giants fan here. Let me add:
    3) Jason Witten
    4) DeMarcus Ware

Used to HATE the Cowboys, now I begrudgingly respect them. My “hate allegiance” has shifted to the Eagles.

52. How can anyone even notice Aikman when you have to deal with that lil weasel Buck all game long. Buck and Brady should have gotten a room that night. The only thing i recall verbatim from that commentary is when they zoomed into Brady on the sidelines and buck squealed, after the pats took the lead. “you look at brady and you know hes thinking and saying THIS IS NOT A GAME WERE GOING TO LOSE!” get a grip. If we are going to go the father route, Joe Buck should be happy his father was born before him, that guy is trash.
    I remember Aikman talking about Eli’s throw, but as a giant fan, i didnt like the throw either. QB’s who commentate are always extra critical on QB’s because they know that position so well. Can you imagine if Mark Sachez’s dad was critical of Gannon’s commentary last sunday? man o man. Aikman i dont mind, simms I dont mind, Gannon is atrocious, a few really good years and a lot of horrid ones and all he does is blast QB’s week after week.

53. smokehouse56 says:
    Dec 1, 2011 11:41 AM

————————-
    I am happy for you, you can pretend you are the play by play/color analyst all you want. If you feel like you are being lectured that’s your business. I was making a reference to Archie who said he turns off the sound when listening to Buck/Aikmen.
    BTW there are plenty of capable play by play guys/color analysts that many people enjoy listening too and it has NOTHING to do with someone’s knowledge of the game. I didn’t start watching yesterday son. I would lay a nice bet in Vegas that you are in the minority when it comes to turning the sound off. Also are you going to tell me you haven’t seen people in the stands with headphones on listening to Bob Popper(bloomberg joke). Even though Bob works for the Giants, he isn’t biased in his play by play. If I could listen to Poppa and watch the game I would but it cannot be done.

54. So Brady gets a delay of game penalty and Troy and Buck blame the clock. Wow. Now Eli gets one later and they slam Eli about how that just should not happen. Guess what, it happened to Brady earlier! Just one example of pretty obvious bias to everyone but Troy and Buck. That being said, yeah, Eli can defend himself and probably couldn’t give a rat’s behind.

55. There have always been complaints about Aikman in regards to the NFC East teams forever. Its interesting Archie was complaining about Buck and Aikman in regards to the Giants IN GENERAL, NOT one particular play. Have you heard Buck and Aikman call a game where Dallas plays another team? Holy crap the bias is thick. If Romo made the same play that ELi had made, at most Aikman would have said “Sometimes the ball gets away from you”.

56. I have to agree with:
    bigblue86 says:
    Dec 1, 2011 10:58 AM
    Yes he can comment on any player he wishes, but do it among all equals, don’t signal out one to talk negative about while others are having problems (blocks, receiving, whatever) yet they are pets and not a signal negative comment is ever made.
    Same way commentators are always in favor of one team and they only comment positive about the team they are pulling for yet bad-mouth the opposing team. Their job is to cover the game without being partial to a specific team or player.

57. An awful lot of reading comprehension issues in this thread. Read this again!

“his enjoyment of watching his son Eli lead the team to victory was dampened by FOX announcer Troy Aikman’s criticism of Eli.”

Archie DID NOT criticize Aikman, Archie DID NOT even express disagreement with Aikman! All this was related to a father acknowledging lack of enjoyment with his son being criticized for making an error. Why is this natural reaction worthy of discussion? This is a non-story!

58. Aikman’s negativity is his MO. Might as well complain about the dampness of water.

My wife is a Cowpatty fan, and even she doesn’t like his coverage due to his constant criticism of his own team!

I’m not saying Archie is warranted. I’m saying that’s what you get from Aikman. Deal.

59. Aikman <3's Dallas & Romo, even after Romo comes up Romo.

Aikman hates the rest of the NFC East and is biased with any analysis on their games he covers.

Aikman is on the verge of being a homer like Merril Hoge and co. that need to be taken off TV.
    Give me a homer like Jaws any day, sure he loves the Eagles and the QB position a little too much but he's not out to slant any certain teams with his bias.

60. 5..15..30.. 50… Doesn’t matter how old ur child is.. you’re always gonna protect them.. defend them no matter what. Archie isn’t in the wrong.. its what a patent should do always.. Aikman had a fair assesment but like I said a parent should defend his child, not because they can’t defend themselves buy because that’s wat we should do til our dying days..

61. As an Eagle’s fan, not many people who wear or wore the “star” are liked by me — Aikman was ultra-tough — got knocked down and got up every time. Ironically, Aikman and simms (a Giant!!) are 2 of the best analysts on tv (hate to say this).

Archie should shut up– guess is trying to live his life thru his 2 sons– the great Payton and the “ok” Eli — but tired of Archie —

62. i waould rather listen to Aikman any day over Dan Foutts, or any other raider hating announcer, aka chris collingsworth, and the stooge frank gifford.

63. I find these teams to be much better NFL announcers than Buck & Aikman:

Tirico, Gruden, & Jaws
    Michaels & Collinsworth
    Nantz & Simms
    Macatee & Gannon
    Brennaman & Billick
    Stockton & Lynch

64. Eli is just glad his dad didn’t put him in a headlock and playfully twist his neck around when he was a kid the way he used to do with Peyton.

65. Er, wow. I’ve been watching all the Cowboys games since 1979, which means I’ve been watching Aikman and Joe Buck for every single Cowboys game they’ve ever done.

Troy Aikman a homer? Really? Are we watching the same games here?

You guys saying Troy talks like a homer must have missed the entire 2008 and 2010 seasons.

He’s had plenty of criticism for the Cowboys and Tony Romo. A hell of a lot more than he’s had for Eli.