McNabb wants to “clear my thoughts and clear my head and see what’s next”

Donovan McNabb AP

Hours after being released by the Vikings, quarterback Donovan McNabb appeared on ESPN’s SportsCenter to discuss the situation with Jay Harris.

“I thought it was best suited for Christian [Ponder] as well as Joe [Webb] to get an opportunity to develop and mature in the offense which they’ve had and I just wanted to be the guy to try to add that confidence and sort of that spiritual advice to provide for those guys to better them,” McNabb said.  “But I just thought the best move for me at this particular point was to move on and clear my thoughts and clear my head and see what’s next.”

So what’s next?  Asked to explain what a new team would be getting, McNabb rattled off his attributes.  “You’re bringing a veteran who can bring experience to your ball club, athletic ability, a guy who is not a locker room cancer, he works hard — great work ethic and only wants to win,” McNabb said.  “And you know I’m a winner and I’ve proven that, and a guy who will make the players around him better.”

Of course, McNabb apparently was able to make the players around him only so much better.  “I think we began to lose focus of this being a team game,” McNabb said.  “The teams in which I’ve played with, you know, a lot of great athletes, a lot of positive things, but nothing to really show for it.  Obviously, the quarterback is the one who receives a lot of the credit, and as well as too much criticism.  Being the leader of the team, you just want to prepare your team each and every weekend, while you’re being prepared as well.  The teams with which I’ve played with, unfortunately we weren’t able to accomplish the things that we wanted to in the winning department, but  still individually each and every person can move on, including myself, and possibly have a better life somewhere else.”

So what will that better life entail for McNabb?  “Being surrounded by a great supporting cast,” McNabb said.  “When you’re surrounded by experienced players and veteran players who know how to win, then that’s something that’s contagious.  And I think there are a lot of teams who are in desperate need of a quarterback at this particular point who are surrounded by veteran players, and teams that play well together.  So for myself it’s really an opportunity for me to at this particular point clear my head, concentrate on the goal and the task at hand and get back to thinking and getting out on the field and playing the way that I know I’m capable of playing.”

There actually aren’t “a lot” of teams who are in “desperate need” of a quarterback and “who are surrounded by veteran players.”  There are, as playoff contenders go, two.  The Bears and the Texans.  And the Texans reportedly aren’t interested.

So that leaves the Bears.

Regardless of the destination, McNabb sounds ready to play.  “Taking time is very important, although I’ve spent enough time resting so to speak in this last couple weeks, so I am pretty fresh,” McNabb said.  “But you know what the thing about it [is] you have to refocus your mind on being the guy back out there again, and I look forward to that.”

McNabb, who described his last two seasons as “exciting” (which is sort of like calling a visit to a funeral home “scintillating”), seems to acknowledge the possibility that no one will want him.

“There’s always Plan B, but one that I’m not focused on at this particular point,” McNabb said.  “Clearing the mind and getting the body back where it needs to be is the most important thing.  But if anything was to happen, I have a career that I can look back on and be very excited about.”

Exciting, but ultimately unfulfilling.  But not just because of McNabb’s ability.  Because of his supporting cast.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Houston Texans, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
41 Responses to “McNabb wants to “clear my thoughts and clear my head and see what’s next””
  1. tjacks7 says: Dec 1, 2011 6:53 PM

I just hope nobody gives this guy a job in the media.

2. lionpride10 says: Dec 1, 2011 7:01 PM

Oh do I hope the bears sign him. He isn’t a locker cancer, he does his damage on the playing field.

3. mrpilsner says: Dec 1, 2011 7:07 PM

Bear Down!

4. medialovesthecowboys says: Dec 1, 2011 7:10 PM

Man, there’s just something about McNabb, I’m waiting for the tell-all to come out by different players in the coming years. He seems like the passive aggressive type. Which is why no one has come out already. Ah well.

5. moochzilla says: Dec 1, 2011 7:13 PM

What’s next?

Generating drama maybe?

What a diva this guy is. Smearing of teammates, coaches, and owner only days away. In 3, 2, 1…

…cue Michael Smith and Mike Wilbon!

He was a second choice to Tyler Thigpen and he acts like he’s Wayne Gretzky getting traded to the Kings.

6. moochzilla says: Dec 1, 2011 7:14 PM

Nice to see he’s going to start getting in shape. I mean, it’s only Week 13 of the season after all.

By March he’ll be down to his playing weight!

7. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Dec 1, 2011 7:30 PM

IF he thinks he’s going to have a media career I think he’s wrong. He’s very well spoken, but he’s just not that smart. Face it. He’s displayed his basic lack of knowledge about his own profession more times that we can count, and I doubt he can be top tier at another profession.

8. theduuuuuuuuuude says: Dec 1, 2011 7:32 PM

You guys could have made these five different stories about McNabb into one story. In fact, it could be turned into one sentence:

“McNabb has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is washed up, but some other team will still get suckered into signing him and taking on the rest of his contract.”

9. test2402 says: Dec 1, 2011 7:36 PM

This guy has made over a hundred million dollars. That’s good enough. Go enjoy the rest of your life.

10. unbiased8383 says: Dec 1, 2011 7:39 PM

He seems like he has always lacked ultra competitiveness that you’d want from your QB. He was great in his prime but he always seemed just whatever about important situations.

11. thegonz13 says: Dec 1, 2011 7:45 PM

He wants to clear his head? There wasn’t that much in his head to begin with so the clearance shouldn’t take that long!

12. teal379 says: Dec 1, 2011 8:02 PM

The only thing he’s been clearing is his dinner plate…

13. Dirty D Fo says: Dec 1, 2011 8:02 PM

McNabb could give Obama a run for his money.

14. richm2256 says: Dec 1, 2011 8:03 PM

“a guy who is not a locker room cancer, he works hard — great work ethic”
    —————————————————————
    I’m sorry, I thought I was reading a story about Donovan McNabb.

My bad.

15. skins99 says: Dec 1, 2011 8:06 PM

Throwing people under the bus as usual. I can’t even stand to here him talk anymore. (Eagles Fan). Even when I read an interview with him I can hear that dull, stupid monotone in my head. Please don’t give him a job in the media

16. jimmylions says: Dec 1, 2011 8:07 PM

It would be hilarious if the Bears reunited McNabb and T.O. to finish out the season.

17. stixzidinia says: Dec 1, 2011 8:11 PM

There’s a reason why McNabb will be on his 4th team in 3 years if he’s signed with another team this year………and that reason is because he sucks. He is the single most over rated player in nfl history (next to Tebow of course).

18. packerman1968 says: Dec 1, 2011 8:21 PM

All I want for Christmas is for the Bears to sign him.

GO PACK GO

19. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Dec 1, 2011 8:25 PM

as always, there is a lot of space between what don says and the truth. he has his version…

as for me, i’m pretty sure lots of teams need a guy who throws grounders, consistently fails to make throws that allow his receivers to get yards after the catch, and will fail to run a two minute offense, even when down 14 points in the fourth quarter of the super bowl.

or not.

p.s.- overtime can end in a tie?

good work ethic?

make a team better?

20. droopyyydog1 says: Dec 1, 2011 8:42 PM

Another stop at the buffet ?

21. dirtyvu says: Dec 1, 2011 8:48 PM

he lost me at “great work ethic”…

22. skinsfaninnebraska says: Dec 1, 2011 8:59 PM

He sure didn’t work very hard at Redskin Park, by all accounts, and he certainly didn’t make any players around him any better than they were before he arrived there.

23. brandon5l7 says: Dec 1, 2011 10:05 PM

Lot of McNabb haters on here. Wow. His entire career he has bn asked to turn a bum team into a contender and if he doesnt he is considered a bum smh. Yoll really dont watch football. I bet 90% of you guys who are commenting about McNabb are white smh. If he goes to a team with talent he will shine. Hes 35 he cant carry an offense by himself but if he is asked to manage the game he will shine

24. stevenfbrackett says: Dec 1, 2011 10:46 PM

Time to retire while people can still remember what you once were and not be stuck entirely with the image of the lazy, bad attitude McNabb you became.

25. richm2256 says: Dec 1, 2011 11:09 PM

brandon5l7 says:
    —————————————————————
    couple of thoughts here ……

First, “suck” knows no color.

Second, if ANY quarterback goes to a team with talent, they will shine more than a team with no talent.

Exhibit A: Matt Cassell

By the way, McNabb was given a playoff caliber team in the Minnesota Vikings, which at the start of this season were one year removed from being damn good, and asked to simply “manage the game”.

He “managed” them to a 1-6 record.

26. bluemist says: Dec 1, 2011 11:30 PM

McNabb called his last two seasons entertaining, not exciting.

27. zn0rseman says: Dec 1, 2011 11:31 PM

A team that “fits Donovan McNabb’s skilsets” is a team that has an outstanding running game, elite offensive linemen, a lights-out defense and wide recievers who can catch footballs with their ankles.

$0.02,

–Z

28. jebdamone says: Dec 2, 2011 12:21 AM

McNabb wants to “clear my thoughts and clear my head and see what’s next”

and by that he means get a couple sides of ribs, some chicken fingers and a bottomless bucket of hot wings.

29. chowincowan says: Dec 2, 2011 12:59 AM

Donovan, blow your nose

30. grannyvi4 says: Dec 2, 2011 2:01 AM

Unlike my son, I withheld judgment when the Vikes brought in McNabb. Then I watched the 2nd-half meltdowns occur during our first 4 games and I knew we were lost. “Supporting cast”? Your supporting cast in MN weren’t the ones throwing passes into the ground. Your supporting cast werent’ the ones who couldn’t run a hurry-up offense when it was needed. As an NFL QB, you’re in a leadership role. As such, a GOOD QB instills confidence and loyalty with his teammates. You instilled nothing. The difference when Ponder came into the game was almost palpable. Granted, Ponder is young and very green, but he seemed to breathe new life into the whole team — much like Tebow has done in Denver.

The Vikings have many problems but McNabb definitely wasn’t the solution and for him to throw his “supporting cast” under the bus is delusional and arrogant beyond belief. I guess that was the problem in Washington, too?

Bu-bye, a$$hole.

31. stellarperformance says: Dec 2, 2011 5:40 AM

The first team looking for a fat and lazy over-the-hill QB has their man. Even if you combined these fine traits with the slow and stupid tendencies of Favre, you couldn’t assemble a decent QB. Their best shot was sticking with Tarvaris. Childress was your guy. Moss and Favre messed up a talented team and the whole state of Minnesota is going to pay the price. Textbook case of how not to do it.

32. packerman1968 says: Dec 2, 2011 6:48 AM

brandon5l7 says:

———————————————————–

You are talking about the Madden version of McNabb ?

You do know that is not real football. I have seen McNabb on several occasions. He was once a good qb, he sucks now.

33. gmsingh says: Dec 2, 2011 7:00 AM

I can only assume the Eagles would be less crappy if they had kept him on the team.

34. packerman1968 says: Dec 2, 2011 7:08 AM

Jason Cole on Yahoo has a article about him losing his chance at The Hall Of fame.

I never considered McNabb to be that good when he was good.

35. fin72 says: Dec 2, 2011 7:38 AM

McNabb is just so dilusional and phony.

36. mannyicey says: Dec 2, 2011 7:57 AM

Uh, McNabb will be a Bear really soon. Relax.

37. moochzilla says: Dec 2, 2011 8:19 AM

“His entire career he has bn asked to turn a bum team into a contender and if he doesnt he is considered a bum”

That Eagles SB team was better, talent-wise, than the Patriots.

Look it up, check it out, go line by line, player by player.

And he blew the game. And he lost multiple NFC title games where they were favored.

Do some research and stop making a clown out of yourself.

38. moochzilla says: Dec 2, 2011 8:21 AM

So Brandon thinks McNabb “needs more weapons”!

Hilarious!

If you stuck McNabb in the Pentagon he’d still need more weapons. Because he’s an under-performing buck-passer with zero fire.

But I only watched him for 13 years. You saw a 2 minute clip on ESPN.

39. propertyofthebroncos says: Dec 2, 2011 8:24 AM

When is he finally going to realize he sucks? So far everyone else seems to be….time for him to be honest with himself its over.

40. CKL says: Dec 2, 2011 9:06 AM

chowincowan says:
    Dec 2, 2011 12:59 AM
    Donovan, blow your nose
    _______________________
    No kidding. Dude sounds like that kid on the Fat Albert show, can’t remember the character’s name. Mushmouth maybe? “Iba weba toba theba storba.”

I bet Moochzilla laughed when he saw McNabb’s comments about weapons, etc. No one has that dude pegged the way Moochzilla does.

41. packerhater says: Dec 2, 2011 11:50 AM

You mean next to Aaron Rodgers the king of the 5-10 yard passes which is what he does 90% of the time.